Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Alfie Doughty thread

Comments

• Options
    Only positive from the injury could be he signs a contract for stability? 
  • Options
    Easy to say after one performance but I think we managed okay today without him, signing Paul Smyth has helped

Think there will be bigger misses this season
  • Options
    Well. Keep knocking out these results.

Get Maddison firing and and Alfie back after Xmas. Maybe a striker.
    Be perfect refresh for the promotion push
  • Options
    We've been hoping for galloping 40 yard runs from him for goals/assists. I'm surprised we hadn't coached him to play right further up top as the Forrest Gump runs just kill players own career. As an example, who in the Championship, let alone Premier league plays like that? 
  • Options
    Raheem Sterling?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Raheem Sterling?

He plays further up as part of a 3, normally a false 9.
  • Options
    mendonca said:
    We've been hoping for galloping 40 yard runs from him for goals/assists. I'm surprised we hadn't coached him to play right further up top as the Forrest Gump runs just kill players own career. As an example, who in the Championship, let alone Premier league plays like that? 
     I was thinking that earlier. Theres not many players you see doing what he does at the top levels.
    I'm sure plenty are capable.
    Great to watch. But not so good for the hammys
  • Options
    Doesn't sound like he'll be back this side of Christmas then. 
  • Options
    Remembering Mavididi - never let him play in February...

Hamstring tear.
    17/18 Hamstring Injury Feb 3, 2018 Mar 29, 2018 54 days 9 games missed Charlton Athletic

Quad tear.
    16/17 Thigh muscle rupture Feb 25, 2017 May 25, 2017 89 days 17games missed Charlton Athletic
  • Options
    mendonca said:
     I was thinking that earlier. Theres not many players you see doing what he does at the top levels.
    I'm sure plenty are capable.
    Great to watch. But not so good for the hammys

Michael Owen had constant hamstring problems after a while, I remember.

And there was our very own Danny Haynes a few years ago.

• Options
    edited October 2020
    The fact Doughty could limp off, albeit painfully, suggests it isn't a Grade 3. 

I once put a 6 inch tear down my middle band while flat out sprinting and and limped off without help. I don't know what Grade that was classed as but I was never the same after. By amateur standards, I did pretty a pretty full-on, lengthy (and costly) gradual rehab under the eye of experts but I've been plagued by hamstring tears since (17 years since that first one). 

When I see a player who relies so much on pace, like Doughty, tear a hamstring....I do fear for them going forward. To hear it compared to Mavididi's injury, is very worrying.

Then I tell myself, he's 20 years old and I was 36. He's got professionals looking after him 24/7 if he needs it ,whereas I had a couple of hours a week plus ice etc. My fingers are firmly crossed for him.
  • Options
    It does sound worse than we hoped. Doubt Celtic will be interested now. If not a message to Alfie why he should sign with us.
  • Options
     Virgil Van Dijk walked off after the horror challenge in the Scouse Derby despite his damaged ACL, so not necessarily a good indication of the severity of an injury.

By today, an accurate diagnosis should be available. Is it his Hamstring ?  A worrying problem for a fast player, if it is.

I hope that Thomas Sandgaard can convince Alfie Doughty that he can have a good career with Cafc and once we get back to the Championship he can be paid a salary commensurate with that status.

Alfie can play in several positions and will be missed.

Speedy recovery Hopefully.
  • Options
    mendonca said:
    We can't, would break the wage cap.
  • Options
    Ferryman said:
    mendonca said:
    We can't, would break the wage cap.
    I think Alfie's age means he's exempt from the cap.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Simonsen said:
    The fact Doughty could limp off, albeit painfully, suggests it isn't a Grade 3. 

I once put a 6 inch tear down my middle band while flat out sprinting and and limped off without help. I don't know what Grade that was classed as but I was never the same after. By amateur standards, I did pretty a pretty full-on, lengthy (and costly) gradual rehab under the eye of experts but I've been plagued by hamstring tears since (17 years since that first one). 

When I see a player who relies so much on pace, like Doughty, tear a hamstring....I do fear for them going forward. To hear it compared to Mavididi's injury, is very worrying.

Then I tell myself, he's 20 years old and I was 36. He's got professionals looking after him 24/7 if he needs it ,whereas I had a couple of hours a week plus ice etc. My fingers are firmly crossed for him.
    That'd be a severe grade 2. I think it'd need to be a complete rupture to be a grade 3.

• Options
    edited October 2020
    Fuck

"Lee Bowyer - “Alfie Doughty has a big, big tear. He has to have an operation on his hamstring. He’s going to be months. Probably around four months, they reckon”"
  • Options
    We don't do two-week injuries at Charlton
  • Options
    Hope this doesn't change him when he's back what with pace being such a huge part of his game. 
  • Options
    Football can be a cruel sport - one injury can end your career so you need to make money while you can. I hope he recovers soon.
  • Options
    Devastating for us really. We need William's to make himself a good option for the position.
  • Options
    Devastating for him, devastating for us. 

Absolutely gutting. 
  • Options
    Devastating for us really. We need William's to make himself a good option for the position.
    Williams will only be a bit part player. 

I wish Alfie well of course. In one way thought it makes Bowyer's life slightly easier as he couldn't play in the diamond. 

Surely will be seeing Maddison in behind the front two soon.