Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Alfie Doughty thread

Comments

• Options
    My fear is that Celtic might start whispering in his ear wage offers, that we, as a League 1 club cannot match, because we are under a wages cap.  Or, have I got ir wrong?
    They cant do that until January - If there is proof that they're trying to speak to Doughty before then, we can accuse them of tapping up our player
    If Celtic have already made a couple of bids, then it's pretty naive to think that they haven't already spoken to Doughty's agent about what they're prepared to offer him. Yes it's tapping up, but it probably happens at all levels of football on a daily basis.
    Interesting piece along these lines in the athletic this week:

https://theathletic.co.uk/2087716/2020/10/01/transfer-window-deal-medicals-whatsapp-bids-wages-agent-fees/

"Officially, clubs only have permission to speak to a prospective signing once terms are agreed with his current club but the outrage over tapping up only rarely bubbles to the surface. “I would say 95 per cent of transfers involve tapping up,” explains a Premier League sporting director."
  • Options
    Why go through all the stress of bidding for a player if they turned around and said no thank you?

Of course clubs have a word with the agent. Thats why very often you see personal terms have been agreed way before a bid has been accepted for players. 
  • Options
    Cawley tweeted this morning saying TS is confident Alfie won't be sold in tomorrow's deadline day
  • Options
    If we get promoted, I could see Alfie deciding it was best to stay unless he reaches a level where Premier League clubs are in for him.
  • Options
    Cawley tweeted this morning saying TS is confident Alfie won't be sold in tomorrow's deadline day

I sense that if Alfie stayed for the rest of this season at least, it would feel there is a five year plan, if he goes I'm not sure how that plan comes to fruition ?
    Thomas Sandgaard feels it would send the wrong message to the fans, if we just continue the selling off of our young talent.

Watson, Gunter, and Pearce are in the Autumn of their careers, we need young guys to take us forward with the senior players help.

• Options

I sense that if Alfie stayed for the rest of this season at least, it would feel there is a five year plan, if he goes I'm not sure how that plan comes to fruition ?
    Thomas Sandgaard feels it would send the wrong message to the fans, if we just continue the selling off of our young talent.

Watson, Gunter, and Pearce are in the Autumn of their careers, we need young guys to take us forward with the senior players help.

I think Alfie is a different case though to the rest of Sandgaard's plan

Unfortunately he's another like Grant that has been allowed to run his contract done with nothing about it so TS is effectively being held to ransom at the beginning

Its typical of the terrible Senior Management that we've been forced to endure for a decade

As we've quickly see with Barker and Henry, thats being rectified with the kids now and will hopefully continue when the window closes
  • Options
    Yes he's a decent prospect, and his pace is a massive asset, but if Alfie that good?

Just seems curious that he's made no England youth appearances yet, as we have had no problems getting academy players recognised. The likes of Harriott and Lloyd Sam have England youth caps, never mind the more celebrated players like Konsa, Gomez and Lookman
    You are right to wonder if Doughty is as skilful as some Lifers make out. Like most wingers everywhere, he has speedy pace and the ability to cross the ball effectively.  Yet - in midfield as a link in a pattern of play, he often loses possession with a sloppy pass.
  • Options
    Technically Doughty is not there yet and can improve that part of his game. He is in the right division to develop this season. He is a left midfielder and not a full back or right mid. 
  • Options
    Any news on his injury yet?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Alfie reminds me of Scott Wagstaff in some ways but I do think Alfie is better than Waggy at the equivalent stage of his development,I say that as a Waggy fan, and has the potential to get better still  as long as he can retain that searing pace he has which puts me in mind of Len Glover.

I love watching Alfie and hope that his injury is not too serious. He has become an integral part of the team in my opinion.
  • Options
    Love watching Alfie too. So much pace and you know he will develop into a cracking player. Always seems to be running after the ball rather than running with it at the moment, but that will come. Need him to stay even if he is a Millwall fan allegedly 😀
  • Options
    Has he been offered a new contract yet by Charlton?
  • Options
    ct_addick said:
    Technically Doughty is not there yet and can improve that part of his game. He is in the right division to develop this season. He is a left midfielder and not a full back or right mid. 
    With all due respect I think you must have been asleep during the last two games when he's played the right inside forward role. He left the Blackpool left back for dead about 3 times in the opening 15 mins!
  • Options
     Bump.

Getting a bit concerned now.
  • Options
     Bump.

Getting a bit concerned now.
    News tomorrow
  • Options
    Fearing the worst. Was hoping for some encouraging news today but now expecting the worst
  • Options
    yes, longer it goes on,.. no news is bad news :/
  • Options
    Maybe no news is good news, and Alfie's availability is being kept as a surprise for Oxford?
  • Options
    Is there any reason why we would've hd an update on Doughty by now, when's he likely to have spoken to the press about it?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Let's all keep the rose tinted glasses on until we hear any more ;)
  • Options
    If he's out I can see Matthews coming straight into a 5-3-2. This would also allow us to play two progressive midfielders - Maddison and Shinnie most likely 
  • Options
    Aaarrgh! What’s happening? Is he out?
    (Might as well post this gif here, seeing as it fell on its arse on the Matthews thread.) 😎

Yeah, good idea to post this here, last time you 
    posted it.... wham good news about Matthews,so
    let's hope lightning strikes again ;)
  • Options
    It's Charlton it's an injury to a player.

We all know the rest.
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    TS needs to get on the blower to Nimer and borrow his crack medical team for a few weeks. 
  • Options
    Aaarrgh! What’s happening? Is he out?
    (Might as well post this gif here, seeing as it fell on its arse on the Matthews thread.) 😎

Yeah, good idea to post this here, last time you 
    posted it.... wham good news about Matthews,so
    let's hope lightning strikes again ;)
    That was the plan...
    ah well.