Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Leeds to face racism probe

Comments

• Options
    I can't believe that Casilla hasn't been sacked.  Leeds are condoning his actions and language and defending him. 
  • Options
    Sorry about the bold type.
  • Options
    Davo55 said:
    Can’t really fault the FA, IMO. And the sensible reaction of a number of Leeds fans to our club statement shows they’re not all wankers. 
    I think we can fault them for taking FIVE months to get to this conclusion and also for not publishing at least an abbreviated summary of findings simultaneously. In the meantime both Leko and Bonne have received more abuse from some Leeds "fans". FA have aggravated that situation by not tackling the issue quickly.
    I'm no lawyer, but we are not aware of things like (for example) if there were any deliberate delaying tactics (within the law) used by the defense QC.

But I agree it is terrible Leko and Bonne have got and continue to get abuse, and 5 months seems way too long for a resolution.  The fact they both stuck at it for that long makes them even more heroic really. 
  • Options
    That's a tough read - poor bloke.
    Agree. Very eloquently put. Bit different to the guilty party ability to express themself. No parties, I include Leeds in that. He didn't mention if he got support from Charlton or for that matter West Brom.  I sincerely hope he did and would be interested to know, though I understand he wants to put the whole sorry thing behind him.
    Many points to dwell on from what he says, but surely the lack of support from PFA, I wonder if Castillo got support from them? Also no support from Kick it out, so its Kick it out on your own. 
    Apart from his own suffering, a real sad thing, if understandable, is what he would do or advise a young player to do in a similar situation. This is just has to be picked up. It's like where we were 20 years ago on rape or grooming. 
    I am not comparing the offences but the lack of support and belief and feeling like you have done something wrong. 
    Shit this ain't good.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    My understanding is that he did get support from Charlton
    Ok thanks Henry. I would expect us to have done so.
  • Options
    Next time JL might well decide justice is served better on the pitch and put his boot through the bloke's knee. Who could blame him?
  • Options
    Agree. Very eloquently put. Bit different to the guilty party ability to express themself. No parties, I include Leeds in that. He didn't mention if he got support from Charlton or for that matter West Brom.  I sincerely hope he did and would be interested to know, though I understand he wants to put the whole sorry thing behind him.
    Many points to dwell on from what he says, but surely the lack of support from PFA, I wonder if Castillo got support from them? Also no support from Kick it out, so its Kick it out on your own. 
    Apart from his own suffering, a real sad thing, if understandable, is what he would do or advise a young player to do in a similar situation. This is just has to be picked up. It's like where we were 20 years ago on rape or grooming. 
    I am not comparing the offences but the lack of support and belief and feeling like you have done something wrong. 
    Shit this ain't good.
    West Bromwich Albion continues to fully support Jonathan through what has clearly been a difficult and challenging period for the 20-year-old forward who is also currently recovering from ACL knee surgery.
    https://www.wba.co.uk/news/2020/march/jonathan-leko-statement-following-fa-verdict/
  • Options
    IdleHans said:
    Next time JL might well decide justice is served better on the pitch and put his boot through the bloke's knee. Who could blame him?
    Lots of people.  Racists would spin it as look how "they" can't control themselves and when he explained after he was sent off that it was because of what was said he'd be accused of "playing the race card" to deflect from his red card.  That's how racism works.
  • Options
    clive said:
    Shit this ain't good.
    West Bromwich Albion continues to fully support Jonathan through what has clearly been a difficult and challenging period for the 20-year-old forward who is also currently recovering from ACL knee surgery.
    https://www.wba.co.uk/news/2020/march/jonathan-leko-statement-following-fa-verdict/
    Good, thanks Clive. My other points and questions still stand though I feel.
  • Options
    I must say since the report I have seen alot of Leeds fan say they want Kiko sacked now and they regret singing songs and standing by him.

Unfortunately there are still a few standing by him on Twitter and refusing to believe it, just a shame The FA didnt release the report the same time as the ban
  • Options
    It would have been interesting to have witnessed what might have happened had Casilla said this to Naby Sarr.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Those of us looking for a way to support anti racism might like to consider this survey request from a sociology student collecting info for a third year thesis on racism at football grounds.
    https://forum.charltonlife.com/discussion/88428/survey-request
  • Options
    Jonathan Leko’s statement has really angered me.
    I’m not angry with him, I feel angry that he’s been let down in such a way by the very organisations  that should’ve stepped up from the very beginning.

I hope, as a couple of posts above have suggested, that WBA and CAFC gave him appropriate support, that’s good to see, so we’ll done both of them. However, it’s only what he should be able to expect.

The fact that he felt he needed to explicitly name the FA, PFA, Kick It Out and SRTRC is appalling. What on earth have these people been doing? It’s not as if they didn’t know this incident happened. In all honesty, I’m most disappointed by the Kick It Out and SRTRC because this is supposed to be their area of expertise and focus.

Apart from the anger and disappointment, I also feel so sorry for Jonathan. The inquest has effectively agreed that he was correct from the outset, yet he’s been put through the wringer for 5 months.

I’m sure the organisations Jonathan named are well aware that he’s made this statement, and I’m also pretty sure they’re all preparing a PR piece to deflect any blame as we speak, but I’d like to see them get some pressure from the media to explain how and why they left a young, honest professional who was just doing the right thing so high and dry that he’s now questioning his faith in the system and whether he would advise others to have the courage to do the right thing as he did.

So thank you Jonathan Leko.
    Thanks for your bravery, your honesty and for making your justified and righteous stand.
    I can’t blame you for having your doubts about the future, but I hope when the dust has settled a little, we’ll see some acknowledgements of failure from the organisations that have let you down and some commitments to do better in the future. Hopefully then you'll feel more confident in the system as we go forward.

This!
  • Options
    Kick It Out saying they approached Charlton twice but heard nothing back.
  • Options
    Appears that Eric Dier has the right idea.....
  • Options
    Probably because the case was going through official channels and apparently being taken seriously.

Now we've got a verdict, we should probably reach back out.
  • Options
    Where did you read that?  On their Twitter feed  there is not a word on the entire case.

Both the club and Matt Southall have managed to put out effective, measured tweets

but not this lot, for whom this case is, to ought to be, central to their remit.

But they apparently think it's all down to us fans to kick racism out of football.
  • Options
    His defence at first seems to be that he was just asking his name and that changed to that he did not know that he was using a racist word.

When I did a basic Spanish course I learnt how to order a beer, dinner and how to ask where the bus station was. The course did not include how to racially abuse someone or swear words. I would suggest that he specifically asked and then learnt these words, but he seems to be saying he picked up the phrase in general conversation with friends and colleagues and didn’t understand what it really meant.

I would assume that this group will be the players, management team, staff and owners of Leeds Utd. Their defence of his actions do suggest that they think it is OK, or am I missing something?

They should be asked to explain their stance.

I think that Leeds response is utterly disgraceful and that they should now be charged with bringing the game into disrepute. Because they have.