Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Worst Ever First XI In Charlton Colours

Comments

• Options
    PaddyP17 said:

How about this team?
    I cannot remember a Binks. Presumably a keeper. Tell me more.
    Jack Binks, who never made a first team appearance if I remember correctly. 

We should probably have a Cameo/Ghost XI, too.

Luke Daniels, Omar Pouso, Cory Gibbs, Karim Bagheri, names like that... 
    Piotr "Yann money well spent" Parzyszek. 
  • Options
    Surprised Reza has not been mentioned yet. 

I thought JFH was utter shite closely followed by Francis Jeffers, Nicky weaver, Waghorn, Redfearn and John Barnes
  • Options
    edited October 2019
  • Options
    Nouble, Jerome Thomas? (Left wing) Scott Sinclair? (Right wing)
    Jerome Thomas, no way
  • Options
    Mikel Alonso has to be in midfield of some of these teams.
    His sole appearance was THE worst display in the history of our club imo. Poor lad. 
  • Options
    PaddyP17 said:

How about this team?

Steve Barbe on the bench a few times but never got on.
  • Options
    In all my years watching Charlton think there could be several teams... 
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    Church has to be front and centre of this conversation.

He ran around lots simply so that he wouldn’t get pelters for being able to deliver absolutely zero quality from a footballing perspective. He would run after players with no intention of wanting to tackle them - it always just felt like running for the sake of running.
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    1 Jim Stannard
    2 Paul Cutis
    3 Dietmar Bruck
    4 Alan Ellis
    5 Maurice Setters
    6 Bobby Goldthorpe 
    7 Tony Towner
    8 Mike Small
    9 Ray Crawford
    10 Barry Endean
    11 Hugh McAuley

manager The Laundry basket boy 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    PaddyP17 said:
    GK: Yohann Thuram-Ulien
    RB: Martin Cranie
    CB: Roger Johnson
    CB: Tahar El-Khalej
    LB: Djimi Traore
    RM: Keith Gillespie
    CM: Amdy Faye
    CM: Chris Bart-Williams
    LM: Jesper Blomqvist
    ST: Izale McLeod
    ST: Andy Gray

I'd say this is probably bad in terms of expectation vs performance, though maybe not necessarily the worst actual players per position. Still crap though.
    Bit harsh on Bart-Williams there. 
    Yes, I suppose so - not that he was any good, mind.

I think Christophe Lepoint has to come in instead, but he didn't come to mind at the time. I'm not convinced he was actually a footballer - more of a money laundering ploy...
  • Options
    Novak had been a half decent striker before he came to Cafc but was consistently poor in his time here. Simon Church tried hard but was limited with a lack of power.
    Polish Pete only ever played 5 minutes as a sub but as he was the replacement for Yann; he must qualify.

Thurman was poor with his feet but was even worse with his hands. 

Harriott who was a headless chicken most of the time Doesn't make this team as he did have half a dozen good games.

• Options
    iaitch said:
    PaddyP17 said:

How about this team?

Steve Barbe on the bench a few times but never got on.
    Juan Cobian on the bench once iirc. 
  • Options
    Ray Tumbridge, Peter Shaw, Mike Rose, Gary Churchouse, Leon Clarke, Tom Hovi, Robbie Mustoe are all in the running. Thuram, of course, must be captain of this side.
  • Options
    _MrDick said:
    1 Jim Stannard
    2 Paul Cutis
    3 Dietmar Bruck
    4 Alan Ellis
    5 Maurice Setters
    6 Bobby Goldthorpe 
    7 Tony Towner
    8 Mike Small
    9 Ray Crawford
    10 Barry Endean
    11 Hugh McAuley

I get most of your suggestions, but Ray Crawford might have been slow and past his best but he was very skilled. Dietmar Bruck wasn't the greatest, but was fairly solid. I'd forgotten about Hugh McAuley - he was always busy but didn't do anything useful.
  • Options
    Didn't Mcauley score against Peter Shilton? It was a cross from the left wing and it floated over Shilton's head.
  • Options
    cafctom said:
    Church has to be front and centre of this conversation.

He ran around lots simply so that he wouldn’t get pelters for being able to deliver absolutely zero quality from a footballing perspective. He would run after players with no intention of wanting to tackle them - it always just felt like running for the sake of running.
    I don't think I would include Church in the list of worst ever. He wasn't a great player by any stretch but given the non-budget we were working with at the time he was whole-hearted in his approach and did have a tendency to pop up with important contributions. He scored important goals against Blackburn, Doncaster and Barnsley in a season where we barely stayed up and scored the winning goals against Huddersfield and Sheffield Weds in what would have been looked on as a great cup run if not for the manner of the Sheff Utd match. I wouldn't take him back if you told me we'd get paid for the privilege, but I remember his contribution as small but useful as opposed to some of the absolute clowns we've seen listed here. When i think of Church I think of the winner against Wednesday in a match where it felt like everything was conspiring against us at the time but we still had that Charlton spirit. When I think of McLeod I think of him throwing his elbow into the face of a non-league Northwich Victoria player like a coward in what might have been his only effective attack for Charlton ever. And he cost £1.5m! I see Churchy as a symptom of the malaise the club has been suffering from rather than a cause.

Also I'd like to change Tresor Kandol out for McLeod, he's wound me up again.
  • Options
    Tom Soares was cack.
  • Options
    Eggert Jonsson in 12/13 season  was on loan from Wolves and featured in one game at Burnley for just more than the 1st half, he was sort of midfielder and was rubbish
  • Options
    Souleymane Diawara best centre half you have never heard of...............
    I'd say he was one of the best defenders I've seen play for Charlton once he'd adjusted to the hoofball we were playing. He had an excellent career in France.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    _MrDick said:
    1 Jim Stannard
    2 Paul Cutis
    3 Dietmar Bruck
    4 Alan Ellis
    5 Maurice Setters
    6 Bobby Goldthorpe 
    7 Tony Towner
    8 Mike Small
    9 Ray Crawford
    10 Barry Endean
    11 Hugh McAuley

he was no world-beater, but it's a bit harsh on Hughie McAuley - a tidy goal in our 4-1 win over Spurs, plus anyone involved in a win over the Spanners (i think he scored?) surely gets a pass
  • Options
    Dave Mooney?
  • Options
    I don't feel like I've ever seen a player worse than Christophe Lepoint at any level. He looked like he'd won a competition to play alongside a football club. 
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    Thuram

Murty
    Hazell
    Johnson
    Ferns

Gillespie
    Churchouse
    Bullivant
    Mullen

Endean
    Dickson

A few explanatory words:

a) I've tried to select players that played 'a few games' at the very least for us. Thuram is one exception because he is overwhelmingly the worst goalkeeper I have seen in more than 56 years represent us so has to be included.

b)  Bullivant is in there because he cost a lot by our standards at the time yet delivered little or nothing from what I saw. 

c) Roger Johnson is included for being Roger Johnson

d) Another day it might be different. We've had a lot of rubbish over the years!
  • Options
    _MrDick said:
    1 Jim Stannard
    2 Paul Cutis
    3 Dietmar Bruck
    4 Alan Ellis
    5 Maurice Setters
    6 Bobby Goldthorpe 
    7 Tony Towner
    8 Mike Small
    9 Ray Crawford
    10 Barry Endean
    11 Hugh McAuley

Ray Crawford.....that’s insane!!!
  • Options
    LLMTP said:
    I don't feel like I've ever seen a player worse than Christophe Lepoint at any level. He looked like he'd won a competition to play alongside a football club. 
    Pre car accident he was decent; when he came to Charlton he was a write off.
  • Options
    Ray Tumbridge, Peter Shaw, Mike Rose, Gary Churchouse, Leon Clarke, Tom Hovi, Robbie Mustoe are all in the running. Thuram, of course, must be captain of this side.
    I agree, Peter Shaw was absolutely woeful at one point but miraculously, bit by bit, he improved out of sight (much to mine and most people’s amazement), to become a pretty decent player and well worthy of being on the team sheet.
    Pleased for him......he attends most home games I believe.
  • Options
    A lot of players included in this list were patently unfit when they played for us and some only played once or twice so its hard to judge them. Pouso, Lepoint, Rhys Williams, Alonso definitely fall into this category.

Amdy Faye was certainly shocking given he was supposedly a Prem player and Thuram was shocking by any standard.
  • Options
    Thuram
    Paul Curtis, Goldthorpe, Williams, Seabourne 
    Setters, Lepoint, Smart
    Kandol, Small, Endean
  • Options
    For delivery vs expectation Hasselbaink is the daddy for me...