Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

England cricket winter tour

Comments

• Options
    The pitch is doing nothing - Archer’s banging it into the pitch and getting nothing. Leach isn’t getting any turn. Expecting this to barely reach a fourth innings.
    I'm sure England will find a way to have a batting collapse 2nd innings. I still expect NZ to be chasing down something after tea on day 5.
    More optimism. Dont think NZ will bat again. We'll lose by an innings & a handful of runs.
  • Options
    It's like watching an England test performance from the 90's. Grim 
  • Options
    Come on Denly, get your maiden Test ton and be the hero
  • Options
    England getting hammered by a team playing proper test cricket
  • Options
    It's like watching an England test performance from the 90's. Grim 
    i had this feeling creeping in during the ashes, every batsman looks like a walking wicket.
  • Options
    There's been a few pitches recently, that have looked poor but played well, so you never know.
    So the pitch looked unplayable, but is an absolute doozy.
  • Options
    Very enjoyable watching England batting properly in a Test. We haven't seen this for years. There has to be a possibility this could go to 5 days! 
    I got a couple of things right :smile:
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    Apologies if the point has already been made but why on earth didn't Denly get a few overs in a score of 615?
  • Options
    Please don't tell me that Sibley is the  answer to our opening woes.
    Took NZ about 30 balls to work him out.
    No better that Robson, Compton, Jennings

lets judge a player after 1 game shall we? He might come good, he might not! But come in, the gut has played one game. 

If Dougherty came on as a sub yesterday and had a shocker, would you be writing him off as a possible future Charlton player?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    No better that Robson, Compton, Jennings etc.

Please allow me to clarify. From what I've seen, Jennings is a better player than Sibley.
    I've only seen Sibley bat twice, which is more than enough evidence for me to draw this conclusion.
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    I...um...just no
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    LenGlover said:
    Apologies if the point has already been made but why on earth didn't Denly get a few overs in a score of 615?

Given that Root bowled 18 overs himself why wasn't the ball ever thrown to Denly for something a bit different?

Extremely disappointed Len to learn that you do not read every word I bother to write on CL. In your defence, I would suggest that you have, at least, come to the same conclusion as myself. And in that respect you are no different from every other poster in ignoring most of my gems of wisdom!

PS I don't know the answer to your question

• Options
    Decent county player by the looks of it, but test seamers will bowl 4th/5th stump line to him.
    Other good judges say he is ordinary against spin.
    Can't see him making it at this level, but I hope he proves me wrong.
  • Options
    edited November 2019

Yeah, let's bin him, he's had his chance.

Who would you open with in the 2nd Test ?
  • Options
    LenGlover said:

Given that Root bowled 18 overs himself why wasn't the ball ever thrown to Denly for something a bit different?

Extremely disappointed Len to learn that you do not read every word I bother to write on CL. In your defence, I would suggest that you have, at least, come to the same conclusion as myself. And in that respect you are no different from every other poster in ignoring most of my gems of wisdom!

PS I don't know the answer to your question

I'm afraid I did the classic PWR which so irritates our mutual friend @Riviera but did read it subsequently.
  • Options

Yeah, let's bin him, he's had his chance.
    Who would you open with in the 2nd Test ?

I'm stating my opinion, which is based on what I have seen in this test match.
    He'll get the next match and SA series.

• Options
    Sibley also bowls some handy legspin. So even if they were worried about a Denly  injury it's odd they didnt try something different...m
  • Options
    Why hit that? Grrrr
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    What the fuck was that
  • Options
    Bloody idiotic from Root.
  • Options
    How to dismiss the England captain? 70mph long-hop outside off ought to do
  • Options
    Atherton summed it up really, if you are in the mindset to score runs Root would have guided straight over gulley for 4. Pressure mounts, two minds and played it down...

Day 5 test cricket is in your head...., us village cricketers can just about hit the ball ( every now and again)

Thats why Test cricket is always the ultimate battle for me (old school).
  • Options
    If there was an obvious replacement, then i'd be in favour of taking the captaincy from Root as he's not scoring the runs he should be scoring in Test cricket.
  • Options
    Root is an awful Test captain. Has no imagination in the field & is about 10 mins behind play by way of what he should be doing. Should be dropped immediately so he can concentrate on his batting & someone with a bit of tactical nous be brought in. 
  • Options
    Brainless Pope... good catch
  • Options
    Outstanding catch. All over now, if it wasn't three wicket ago.
  • Options
    Needless to say England lost - by an innings and 65 runs. Not enough runs in the first innings cost us dear.

The captaincy is causing Root not to bat as Root can but NZ proving why they are ranked the number 2 Test side in the world. 
  • Options
    Sounds like a few avoidable dismissals! Denly at least one of the less culpable