Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

England cricket winter tour

Comments

• Options
    I can now see why the ECB didnt make this a 3 match series & therefore eligible for ranking points.

Smart cookies those men in suits.
  • Options
    Was Archer abused?
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    Was Archer abused?
    Racially by one man apparently
  • Options
    Needless to say England lost - by an innings and 65 runs. Not enough runs in the first innings cost us dear.

The captaincy is causing Root not to bat as Root can but NZ proving why they are ranked the number 2 Test side in the world. 
    Poor bowling is just as culpable. NZ went from 197-5 to 615-9, for 2 1/2 days the pitch seemed completely flat with their numbers 6, 7 and 8 making big runs, yet England then subside for 197.
  • Options
    Pretty poor batting display to back up a below average bowling display. As said above there are a number of players who didn't show the right approach/application.

no idea where to go from here to be honest. We had a decent first day but on balance lost every day from 2-5. 

Didn't look like taking wickets then made their bowlers look good.
  • Options
    Needless to say England lost - by an innings and 65 runs. Not enough runs in the first innings cost us dear.

The captaincy is causing Root not to bat as Root can but NZ proving why they are ranked the number 2 Test side in the world. 
    Poor bowling is just as culpable. NZ went from 197-5 to 615-9, for 2 1/2 days the pitch seemed completely flat with their numbers 6, 7 and 8 making big runs, yet England then subside for 197.
    That is true to a degree but look at how some of our batsman got out in that second innings:

Sibley - wafting at one that wouldn't have hit four sets of stumps
    Burns - trying to sweep out of the rough to a ball a yard outside off stump
    Root - catching practice (again) to 4th slip/gully to a ball that offered no threat whatsoever
    Stokes - dragged on to a ball that was too close to cut and didn't have to play
    Pope - chased a wide full toss!
    Buttler - shouldering arms to a ball that was hitting the stumps

That is 6 of our top 7. Only Denly was got out and we simply would not have lost this match had those batsmen shown the same level of tenacity and decision making - at least 4 of those are more talented than Denly but talent only takes you so far.
    I agree about the abject way many of those players got out, but scoreboard pressure will have played a part too.

England for many years have struggled with being 2 paced. Either going for their shots or going full defensive, and as it doesn't come naturally to play a Boycott/Atherton vigil they eventually lose patience and chase a wide one.
  • Options
    Denly top scorer in the second innings.

Shouts of 'drop him' I hear.

We need a scapegoat. Denly the cricketing Kishishev.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Nobody in their right mind is asking for Denly to be dropped. Where are you hearing these shouts?
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    Nobody in their right mind is asking for Denly to be dropped. Where are you hearing these shouts?
    Agreed. think this is the best batting lineup we can put out. No one even knocking on the door
  • Options
    Captain Cretin phoned in another pathetic pisstaking excuse for a performance and the poison trickled down thru the rest of the squad, such that only one batsman faced 90 or more deliveries and he was the only one to get out to a really good ball.  Jack Leach is excused his 2nd dig for covering for the grizzly shithouse masquerading as captain.
    "I don't feel under pressure"  no I bet you don't you have neither the brains or the heart for either to register.  A hollow man indeed.
    He's added flogging Jofra to his litany of moronic "tactics".
    Galling to hear Silverwood carry on the Bayliss hollow cynical deluge of bullshit when deflecting reasonable questions after these débacles.  Clots all.
    Kiwis are a very decent side but an innings defeat on a flat track with dud kookaburra balls piles another ton of humiliation on all the test match cack we've suffered already.
  • Options
    Captain Cretin phoned in another pathetic pisstaking excuse for a performance and the poison trickled down thru the rest of the squad, such that only one batsman faced 90 or more deliveries and he was the only one to get out to a really good ball.  Jack Leach is excused his 2nd dig for covering for the grizzly shithouse masquerading as captain.
    "I don't feel under pressure"  no I bet you don't you have neither the brains or the heart for either to register.  A hollow man indeed.
    Galling to hear Silverwood carry on the Bayliss hollow cynical deluge of bullshit when deflecting reasonable questions after these débacles.  Clots all.
    Kiwis are a very decent side but an innings defeat on a flat track with dud kookaburra balls piles another ton of humiliation on all the test match cack we've suffered already.
    I take it you're a fan of Roots captaincy 
  • Options

Do you think Root is a good captain?
  • Options
    In the “that’s a bit odd isn’t it” basket was the dismissal of Butler in England’s 1st innings.  He was on 43 at the time and facing Wagner. Butler lofts a shit over towards the boundary and is caught by Shantner, rushing in from over the boundary rope, signing autographs.

ive just noticed a moment in time when a word check might have come in useful.  Seeing as it made me laugh I’ve just left it😀
  • Options
    In the “that’s a bit odd isn’t it” basket was the dismissal of Butler in England’s 1st innings.  He was on 43 at the time and facing Wagner. Butler lofts a shit over towards the boundary and is caught by Shantner, rushing in from over the boundary rope, signing autographs.

ive just noticed a moment in time when a word check might have come in useful.  Seeing as it made me laugh I’ve just left it😀

you did that on purpose .. the bowler's holding the batsman's willey and all that
  • Options

Was Santner fielding at Turd Man?
  • Options
    Insert crap joke here. 
  • Options
    That was abysmal.
    England seem to make a habit of losing the first Test overseas.
    Pope made about the worst Test shot I've ever seen & Buttler's leave wasn't far behind.
    Root takes bronze and Sibley misses out being 4th worst.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I wonder if anyone, after looking at the test rankings, should be expecting England to have won the first test, instead of losing it. In the fullness of time, that match weight be remembered for the result, but as the first building block towards winning the ashes back. 

We fielded our best team available and came up short. So what? I'd be far happier losing that match and winning the next ashes series than winning it and getting trounced again in Australia. 

Some questions began to be answered in the first test. One of them is "who should open the batting". Neither of the openers ripped up trees, but, for the first time in years, we look like we've got two good openers. That's a start...
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    I wonder if anyone, after looking at the test rankings, should be expecting England to have won the first test, instead of losing it. In the fullness of time, that match weight be remembered for the result, but as the first building block towards winning the ashes back. 

We fielded our best team available and came up short. So what? I'd be far happier losing that match and winning the next ashes series than winning it and getting trounced again in Australia. 

Some questions began to be answered in the first test. One of them is "who should open the batting". Neither of the openers ripped up trees, but, for the first time in years, we look like we've got two good openers. That's a start...
    I agree that we shouldn’t expect to beat New Zealand, especially on their soil. I think they have earnt a win over us this year too! 

But that doesn’t mean the manner in which we lost is acceptable. Our batsman continually get out to stupid moments of madness and our bowlers rarely threatened. The pitch was a batting pitch but I don’t think we bowled well enough. 

I haven’t got the answer as to who should be captain but I don’t think it should be Root. We need him to concentrate on batting and I don’t rate him as a captain anyway. 
  • Options
    Bring back Brearley. Boycs to open with Beefy & Willis as our 2 main strike bowlers.

Jobs a good 'un.
  • Options
    It'll take time to rebuild the Test side. As long as we're competitive in two years in 2021 then I'm a happy bunny.
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    It'll take time to rebuild the Test side. As long as we're competitive in two years in 2021 then I'm a happy bunny.
    We shouldn’t really be greedy, we are World Champions and should go close next year in the T20. 

Just need to decide if Root is the man for the job. He is feeling the pressure at the minute although that’s understandable. 
  • Options
    Chizz said:

Hmmm..there really wasn't anything positive to take from that performance so I can't see how there are any building blocks in place 

The bowling was ineffective, the captaincy uninspiring and the batting just awful. "Two decent openers"...well Burns has proven that he can knuckle down but Sibley doesn't seem to be able to play a shot with any authority outside his off stump....I wouldn't mind bowling to him myself. 

The England 2nd innings effort was an absolute shambles....the mindset was awful exemplified by the manner of the skippers dismissal in both innings

Maybe I could excuse Joe Denly but if was the skipper of a club 3rd team I'd be seething at the way they got themselves out in the 2nd innings 
  • Options
    Buttler a doubt for today after injuring his back in the gym. If he doesn't make it then Pope will keep wicket and presumably Zac Crawley will make his Test debut.

Two Kent players in the Test team - now that is a rarity let alone two batsmen!
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    What am I reading here?!

We just lost by an innings having been bowled out for under 200 on a pitch that New Zealand got 600 and Santner got 126 on! As a unit in the second innings we outscored Santner by 71 runs!!

I don't care what sort of period of transition we are in. It's England playing in a Test match, not a mickey mouse T20. The last four days of it were utterly abject.
    From my perspective, it’s a new set up getting used to new coaching and things take time to develop - Rome wasn’t built in a day. 

No denying the result was disappointing but we’re at the beginning of a new era so I will wait to see how we progress as a team over the next 12-18 months before throwing around words like abject.

We lost by an innings in the first Test on our last tour of New Zealand too remember. They are a good side especially on home soil.
  • Options
    Buttler a doubt for today after injuring his back in the gym. If he doesn't make it then Pope will keep wicket and presumably Zac Crawley will make his Test debut.

Two Kent players in the Test team - now that is a rarity let alone two batsmen!
    A bit unfortunate for Foakes and Bairstow that when Buttler gets injured, they're not there!