Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

England cricket winter tour

Comments

• Options
    Any idea why the crowd is so sparse?
    Not many people live in New Zealand
  • Options
    Mitchell gone to Broad for 73.

339-7
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    Woakes catches Southee's glove on the way through to Ollie Pope.

357-8

Kent legend Matt Henry comes to the crease.
  • Options
    Because its dull as shit. No ranking points & the run rate is less than 3 per over.

Edit. Just seen NZ are 269 off 103 overs. Just over 2.5 runs per over. I'd rather watch paint dry.
    It’s not all about bish bash bosh at Test level , that’s how we lose our matches plenty of times playing overly aggressive .
    they have brought in a new game called the hundred for those who need quick runs with zero patience
    or the t10 will get you some speedy runs 
  • Options
    Santner pulls Archer into the deep.

375-9
  • Options
    Wagner out next ball, whipping Curran to mid wicket.

375 all out.
  • Options
    Close of play
    England 39 for 2
    Burns 24 no
  • Options
    Sibley out again to an unconvincing shot although it seemed a bit leg side 
  • Options
    Matt Henry should save his wicket taking balls for next summer at Canterbury
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    Lovely to see Burns get to 100. Root out there on 95 at the moment.

Crawley has just joined him at the crease as Stokes edges to slip on 26.

245-4
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Root almost chops onto his stumps on 99 but survives... moves onto 103.
  • Options
    Crawley out for 1. :-(
  • Options
    Burns was run out for 101 .... capital offence in Test cricket 
  • Options
    Burns was run out for 101 .... capital offence in Test cricket 
    They should put him in a room with the rest of the cricketing sinners!
  • Options
    If Stokes is ongoing issue means he is unable to bowl then we will have issues in terms of the balance of the side for South Africa because I can't see us going in with just four bowlers - especially with Archer's seeming reluctance to bowl all out for any period of time.

Foakes should be in the side but England won't bat him at 6 (or Sam Curran for example). In any event we have to lose a batsman and Sibley is the obvious one to go which will mean, presumably, Denly opening. But then we are back to the issue of who bats at 3? As Root definitely won't move from 4 it would have to Stokes or Pope.

Or they give Crawley a chance to open in order to keep Denly at 3 in which case they have to either rest Stokes or, rather unfairly, drop Pope (again!). And back to the Foakes issue and whether they bat him at 6 in which case they have to leave out Buttler too and have Curran batting at 7.

Have I got that wrong?
  • Options
    Any idea why the crowd is so sparse?
    Population of Hamilton 165,000 and miles from anywhere else. For some reason the tests are not being played where people live! 
  • Options
    If Stokes is ongoing issue means he is unable to bowl then we will have issues in terms of the balance of the side for South Africa because I can't see us going in with just four bowlers - especially with Archer's seeming reluctance to bowl all out for any period of time.

Foakes should be in the side but England won't bat him at 6 (or Sam Curran for example). In any event we have to lose a batsman and Sibley is the obvious one to go which will mean, presumably, Denly opening. But then we are back to the issue of who bats at 3? As Root definitely won't move from 4 it would have to Stokes or Pope.

Or they give Crawley a chance to open in order to keep Denly at 3 in which case they have to either rest Stokes or, rather unfairly, drop Pope (again!). And back to the Foakes issue and whether they bat him at 6 in which case they have to leave out Buttler too and have Curran batting at 7.

Have I got that wrong?
    I thought Crawley WAS an opener. Play him with Burns, Denly at 3, Root 4, Stokes 5....
  • Options

Have I got that wrong?
    I thought Crawley WAS an opener. Play him with Burns, Denly at 3, Root 4, Stokes 5....
    Which is what I suggested in my penultimate para but if we do that and Stokes can't bowl are we:

(1) Playing 4 bowlers only with Buttler or Pope at 6 and Foakes keeping and batting at 7?

or

(2) Playing 5 bowlers with Buttler at 6 and keeping but no Foakes or Pope?

or

(3) Playing 5 bowlers with Foakes batting at 6 and keeping but no Buttler or Pope? 
  • Options
    Lunch without losing a wicket. 379-5, lead by 4.

Root 178 n/o
    Pope 46 n/o
  • Options
    Santner 27 overs for no wicket. Good decision to leave out Leach?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    This is such a good interview from Mark Wood
  • Options
    Ten sessions in to the test and it looks like Joe Root's decision making is going in the right direction. We're ahead on runs scored and wickets taken, the decision not to play the spinner appears to have been vindicated so far, bowling first and last seems to be the way to win on this pitch and he's made a huge score. 

Long may it continue. 
  • Options
    It won't make any difference to the series as I'm sure this game will peter out into a draw, but Root getting a big ton is a big boost moving forward
  • Options
    Root gets to 200 n/o

414-5, lead by 39

Pope 56 n/o
  • Options
    I'm sure it'll be a draw,  but I'd like to see England put their foot on the accelerator here and at least have a go at getting a result 
  • Options
    I'm sure it'll be a draw,  but I'd like to see England put their foot on the accelerator here and at least have a go at getting a result 
    Agreed. Bit of rain forecast for tomorrow so we need to have them 3/4 down tonight. Will be tough on this wicket but we need to start going at 5+ an over and get to 500 by tea. 
  • Options
    England put their foot down and go from 455-5 to 476 all out 

Root 226 and Pope 75

NZ go from 28-2 to 96-2 and trail by 5
  • Options
    Raval's decision not to review his LBW is as bizarre as it gets. Batsmen are generally selfish by nature so, any chance of a nick and you would have thought he'd have sent it upstairs in a nanosecond - he didn't nick it more middled it, had a passing query with his partner, Latham and proceeded to walk straight off.

Great to see Root back in form - and ditching the awful movement so prevalent in the First Test. We will do well to win this and might still rue the decision to not go in with a front line spinner but, clearly, that thought process has been heavily influenced by the Stokes situation.
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    Looking further ahead...
    Newlands is sold out in Cape Town (was sold out first week in November).
    South African Cricket Board is in total disarray following an internal power struggle - plus a possible players strike, Neil Manthorps blog is a good read (and his tweets are good too)...
    https://manners-on-cricket.com/
  • Options
    Root needed a big score, glad he got it. He's an exceptional batsman when it clicks.