Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Millwall v Charlton | Sat 9 Nov | 3pm KO | Post-match Thread

Comments

• Options
    edited November 2019
    Question.  Why no minute’s silence ahead of Remembrance Sunday 2mo?  Not having a pop at Millwall, they do good things for service veterans.  Haven’t seen MOTD yet, so not sure if it was just the game today, but I’m sure every team usually does it their closest home game to Remembrance Sunday
  • Options
    Trying to tag the Millwall boys but not working, do you think that Harris would have had the same effect? 

• Options
    cabbles said:
    Question.  Why no minute’s silence ahead of Remembrance Sunday 2mo?  Not having a pop at Millwall, they do good things for service veterans.  Haven’t seen MOTD yet, so not sure if it was just the game today, but I’m sure every team usually does it their closest home game to Remembrance Sunday
    Absolutely disgraceful on Mongwall's part. No respect to the legends who gave their lives for our freedom today. I was wearing my poppy with pride. They have also unveiled a memorial bench for one of their fans killed in serving our in Iraq. Hypocrisy!
  • Options
    Trying to tag the Millwall boys but not working, do you think that Harris would have had the same effect? 

Different effect, same result (history speaking).

Honestly? Who knows. Probably not, if truth be told.
  • Options
    cabbles said:
    We had ours last week v stoke because they wanted to keep today about Jimmy Mizen and Rob Knox 
    Aah, I see.  Makes sense now.  
  • Options
    My theory is we desperately want the win for bragging rights, as so many are friends and family, but the big crowd is diluted by less passionate fans who are only coming because they have friends and family who are Charlton. It really is the Closest we’ll ever have to a ‘friendly’ rivalry. 

- I think you mean "your cup final.'
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    Feel for Bow. Has to put square peg in round holes and cannot played his favoured way. Though my slight constructive criticism of the starting 11 is I would have started Sols in place of Mathews.
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    Have to say watching it on tv the millwall fans played a big part in the win. Seemed (on the tv) to drown our support out so fair play. 

Also dont think their second goal was a foul, look at the size of sarr! 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    'that caused the cup final-esque, raucous scenes that you witnessed.'.....

....was that when 15k Wall fans were all dad dancing yet again to Status Quo...you crazy cats? Looked like a lot of fun. Hope you enjoyed yourselves but you do realise you nearly made us Charlton fans miss Strictly?
  • Options
    My theory is we desperately want the win for bragging rights, as so many are friends and family, but the big crowd is diluted by less passionate fans who are only coming because they have friends and family who are Charlton. It really is the Closest we’ll ever have to a ‘friendly’ rivalry. 

Fancy going ham and messing up the quotation (I think I'm also in this bracket).
  • Options

Fancy going ham and messing up the quotation (I think I'm also in this bracket).
    F**k yeah.
  • Options

Such an ironic name....
  • Options
    SE7toSG3 said:
    Just in, so predictable, unless injured why bring Pratley off, I thought he was immense today, sat in the home end and they were all very happy when he was taken off, when Matt Smith came on they were convinced they would win from a  late set piece and when the corner was given cheered like a goal,

they knew, we knew and Naby Sarr watched as the 3 points went where they always go...queue F*cking Status Quo and the only advantage being able to get away from the ground pronto and into a pub sharpish to drown our sorrows. 

Fairplay to the support again, we were in Block 6 Barry Kitchener close to the home end and you could hear Charlton throughout, commented on by all around and only the monosyllabic Millll...... and an injury time winner blocked them out. 

Onto Luton

It was the quietest we've been on an away day for as long as I can remember. You normally go to an away match and recognise the same old faces but I barely recognised anyone today. A couple of blokes next to me definitely weren't Charlton fans and spent most of the 2nd half on their phones looking at PL scores and their fantasy team.

Was definitely a lot of people there today who've got tickets through valley gold and aren't regulars and people getting tickets from their mates as its Millwall. Shame when you see so many people you know are regulars miss out on tickets. Today really made me realised the priority system is broken.

• Options
    edited November 2019

....was that when 15k Wall fans were all dad dancing yet again to Status Quo...you crazy cats? Looked like a lot of fun. Hope you enjoyed yourselves but you do realise you nearly made us Charlton fans miss Strictly?
    You should've recorded it. No sympathy. There's no excuse these days to miss vital viewing experiences.

It's on you ;)

Edit: I'm talking about Strictly.
  • Options
    Absolute weapons of drunk fans behind me today, not sure if there were day trippers but every player was c**ted off within space of 2 minutes. 
    Even started on our own fans.. 

• Options
    This loss might mean ill get a ticket to luton on general sale?! 🤞🏼
  • Options
    Sarr could be converted into an outstanding defensive midfielder in my opinion .
    I’m not sure he’s really mobile enough? Sorry, I really enjoy watching him play, but like people say, he has that mistake in him, waiting for an opportunity to get out. Like Wembley. Or in extra time against Millwall. He’s played some great games against the more footballing sides though 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    JamesSeed said:
    Sarr could be converted into an outstanding defensive midfielder in my opinion .
    I’m not sure he’s really mobile enough? Sorry, I really enjoy watching him play, but like people say, he has that mistake in him, waiting for an opportunity to get out. Like Wembley. Or in extra time against Millwall. He’s played some great games against the more footballing sides though 
    He gives the balls away with his short passing far too much to be a midfielder. He looked useful on the ball last season but can I can't think of a single game this season where's he's looked good.
  • Options
    edited November 2019

These days it’s about 9k Millwall fans and 6k European tourists. 

One of the key benefits of Brexit is how much it will hurt that club!
    Didn’t realise the Den was on the tourist map 😉
  • Options
    Croydon said:
    JamesSeed said:
    He gives the balls away with his short passing far too much to be a midfielder. He looked useful on the ball last season but can I can't think of a single game this season where's he's looked good.
    Was talking about last season really. He’s had a couple of decent performances this season, but not MOTM efforts. Looks nervous again. 
  • Options

These days it’s about 9k Millwall fans and 6k European tourists. 

One of the key benefits of Brexit is how much it will hurt that club!
    I voted remain but now on that evidence I might wanna a no deal. ;) Might help us there. ;)
  • Options
    Seen the winner.

Should Nabs have done better? 100%.

Should the goal have stood? Never!

But the bottled it like a scared little girl in front of their home crowd.

Would it have stood if we had scored it at their place? No, the ref would have behaved like a scared little girl.
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    As much as I hate to say it, Bowyer got it wrong today. Probably already been said but at 1-1 Millwall were there for the taking and Bowyer takes off Leko (who granted didn’t have his best game) for Lapslie. If he was going to take off Leko he should have bought on Oztumer. As BBW said, Bowyer was clearly setting up for a draw, which was way too negative. I also think taking Pratley off was the wrong idea, as Gallagher Cullen and Pratley began to control the game. Although had Pratley have stayed on the pitch and got a second yellow, I would probably be saying Bowyer was stupid not to sub him. Hindsight is a wonderful thing I guess. Hopefully we have Taylor back after the international break and we can try and regain a bit of form
    I didn't think Pratley looked like getting a second yellow anyway, it's not as if the game was full of needle or last ditch tackles. 
    Exactly I was baffled when he took him off, he wasnt even on a final warning after a couple more dodgy tackles or anything. He didnt look particularly tired either. The midfield was non-existent when he went off, and the Lapslie sub totally killed any attacking threat. I have to blame Bow for this one, some truly appaling decisions on subs, right when we should have been pushing for a winner.
  • Options
    ReeCAFC15 said:
    SE7toSG3 said:
    Just in, so predictable, unless injured why bring Pratley off, I thought he was immense today, sat in the home end and they were all very happy when he was taken off, when Matt Smith came on they were convinced they would win from a  late set piece and when the corner was given cheered like a goal,

they knew, we knew and Naby Sarr watched as the 3 points went where they always go...queue F*cking Status Quo and the only advantage being able to get away from the ground pronto and into a pub sharpish to drown our sorrows. 

Fairplay to the support again, we were in Block 6 Barry Kitchener close to the home end and you could hear Charlton throughout, commented on by all around and only the monosyllabic Millll...... and an injury time winner blocked them out. 

Onto Luton

It was the quietest we've been on an away day for as long as I can remember. You normally go to an away match and recognise the same old faces but I barely recognised anyone today. A couple of blokes next to me definitely weren't Charlton fans and spent most of the 2nd half on their phones looking at PL scores and their fantasy team.

Was definitely a lot of people there today who've got tickets through valley gold and aren't regulars and people getting tickets from their mates as its Millwall. Shame when you see so many people you know are regulars miss out on tickets. Today really made me realised the priority system is broken.

This is getting tedious now. I cant see why non Charlton supporting fans would want to go to this fixture & moreso VG or ST holders would buy tickets for them. Bizarre in the extreme. Of course, it doesn't fit your agenda that as we have over 8k ST/VG members that less than a quarter of them would want to go to the game & would happily give their non-CAFC supporting mates a freebie.

FWIW......I'vs been to a fair few away games over the years (probably around 10 a season) and cant say I see any faces I know, apart from @Henry Irving or @Fanny Fanackapan on the odd occasion. You've probably seen me & not recognized me either. 
  • Options
    Had to smile on approaching the ground with the younger Millwall fans wearing their gypsy gear; strutting around with a cloth cap, very smart trainers and a hooded puffer jacket - cool indeed! Got completely drenched sitting close to the pitch in the lower Barry Kitchener.
    Early doors, Millwall were all over Charlton, determined, very confident and took an easy one goal lead that could easily have been two, maybe a penalty? Then, blow me, the anoraks fight back after about half an hour and their keeper, Bart,  pulls off a miraculous save, from Bonne I think. Half time 1-0 to the scum. I still have all my teeth intact so head off to the bar to try to get a much deserved cup of shit coffee. Nice to see palarse have lost...about the only time I want Chelsea to win.
    No fights to record but very funny to see all the smoke in the bogs at half time, with a steward actually in the gentlemans' loo area but doing sod all! Millwall fans all happy and smiling, including my buddy. I just thought it was all going to script.
    I sometimes wonder if before these Addick/wall games some pagan Millwall fans sacrifice eight goats and a cow to ensure a Millwall victory...
    Anyhow, back in my seat, getting wet again, freezing cold, blow me if Charlton get an equaliser!!! I manage not to jump for joy and listen to the Charlton fans who suddenly are making a fearsome racket. Lots of Milllllll sounds in response but the reds are definitely on top and I wonder if miracles are on hand. At this stage the scum are pretty shit and there for the taking.
    I predicted before the game that Millwall would win by two headed goals to one and was very nervous every time we gave away a sloppy corner or unnecessary free kick because this is how Millwall score goals. So of course on comes Smith to head in the winner from a well placed corner. At the time I had not noticed that Naby had screwed up but this was the kick in the teeth that us anoraks have had to endure for the past twenty five years or so,
    At least i didn't have to sit in the away end for and hour after the game. Now that is just bonkers!!! You poor sods!
    Later, in the pub, my mate admitted that a draw would have been a fair result but couldn't help but gloat little bit at my misery. It matters not that with Lyle and Jonnnie Williams we would have slaughtered them today but hey ho, maybe we will win in April, just don't bet on it!
    Can I just say that you'd be nothing but an inspirational boost to anyone under your guidance.

Christ.