Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Spurs sack Pochettino / Mourinho appointed

Comments

• Options
    Can't stand Bore-inho, backward step for Spurs. 
    Jose Mourinho: 

Porto[235]

Chelsea

Inter Milan[235]

Real Madrid[235]

Manchester United

Individual

Mauricio Pochettino:

Premier League Manager of the MonthOctober 2013September 2015, February 2016, April 2017
    To be fair, you missed the Audi Cup off of Poch's list ;)
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    MrLargo said:
    Best thing about this is that I'd grudgingly admired Spurs under Poch. Now I can go back to full-on, "no strings attached" contempt. 

This feels a bit like an upmarket equivalent of Allardyce going to West Ham. Results will improve, but not sufficiently to justify the misery of watching their football and listening to the Bitter One making out that the world's against him. 

Will undoubtedly end in tears, probably significantly before the end of his contract. However, they're 11/4 to win to nil at West Ham this weekend, I am all over that.
    My feelings are similar to this, but slightly less anti-spurs. I don’t mind them. They’re one of those big clubs who are too big for their boots, but I find them far less offensive than the other big clubs. Maybe because I have a few spurs supporting family members and friends, but there it is.

Mourinho, on the other hand, grinds my gears. An undoubted talent who got carried away with his own importance and has performed progressively worse as the years go on - and long may this continue.
    (And don’t give me the “United won the Europa League, League cup and came second in the league under him” defence - we all know that for a club like Man U, those three “Achievements” are consolation prizes.)
    My hope is that he’ll continue to get jobs and will continue to become less and less successful and less and less relevant until he eventually ends up at Palace and gets them relegated, then moves to Millwall and gets them relegated too.

While he’s at Spurs, I’ll be wanting them to lose.
    Unless they’re playing Liverpool, obvs.
  • Options
    look on the bight side, at least we won't have Jose boring us to death on Sky anymore ..
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    Jose Mourinho: 

What's your point?

His football is boring, his constant whining and blaming everyone but himself is boring, his overflated ego was amusing at first but now really nauseating and boring.

and to be honest although he has an impressive CV most of it was 10-15 years ago and football has moved on.  There was a small era in the game where stifling the life out of a game and nullifying your opposition was in vogue but not anymore, these days the top teams dominate the ball.

Spending money is not entirely relevant as Bore-inho will just buy dour defensive players like Matic and Kante.  At Chelsea he had Mo Salah and Kevin de Bruyne and bombed them out presumbly cos they attacked too much !
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    Jose Mourinho: 

What's your point?

His football is boring, his constant whining and blaming everyone but himself is boring, his overflated ego was amusing at first but now really nauseating and boring.

and to be honest although he has an impressive CV most of it was 10-15 years ago and football has moved on.  There was a small era in the game where stifling the life out of a game and nullifying your opposition was in vogue but not anymore, these days the top teams dominate the ball.

Spending money is not entirely relevant as Bore-inho will just buy dour defensive players like Matic and Kante.  At Chelsea he had Mo Salah and Kevin de Bruyne and bombed them out presumbly cos they attacked too much !
    The point being that they haven't made a 'backwards step' as you put it.

Mourinho has won more in the last 3 years of managing than Potch has, which completely nullifies any point you're trying to make. 

And if Kante is dour then you back up my thinking that you know absolutely fuck all about football as suggested on other threads. (btw Mourinho didn't buy Kante, that was Conte)
  • Options
    Jose must have been promised money.

Would love Spurs to go all out and get Bale, front 3 of Son-Kane-Bale would be one of the best in the league
  • Options
    Jose Mourinho: 

What's your point?

The point being that they haven't made a 'backwards step' as you put it.

Mourinho has won more in the last 3 years of managing than Potch has, which completely nullifies any point you're trying to make. 

And if Kante is dour then you back up my thinking that you know absolutely fuck all about football as suggested on other threads. (btw Mourinho didn't buy Kante, that was Conte)
    I don't think we'll agree on this, I think it's a backward step as I though they would hire a more modern, fresh up and coming boss not yesterdays man

He may have won a few minor honours at United, in the main he didn't do a great job, overseeing a toxic environment.  Same at Chelsea, won a title but rapidly went downhill in season 2, I think his tactics get found out eventually and the jury's out whether he still has the midas touch.  To be honest if I was a Spurs fan i'd be dead against this appointment, paying top dollar to watch non football
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Addickted said:
    All this bollocks about poor Pochettino being ham struck by lack of money given to him to buy players is just errrr, bollocks. 

2019/20 Ndembele £54m Sessegnon £24.3m Lo Celso £14.4m loan fee Clarke £9.9m 

2018/19 None 

2017/18 Sanchez £36m Moura £25.56m Aurier £22,5m Llorente £13.59m Foyth £11.7m 

2016/17 Sissoko £31.5m Janssen £19.8m Wanyam £12.96m N'Koudou £9.9m Lopez £1m loan fee
    You have to look at transfers out to balance this though
    Walker £50m, Trippier £20m, Chadli £13m, Mason £13m, Benteleb £16m and others 

His net expenditure has been pretty low.
    today's 'Times' states that Poch's net outlay on players was £99 Million, an enormous sum by our standards of course … Man City during the same period ? .. Net spend of £667 Million 

• Options
    edited November 2019
    Levy has suddenly taken leave of his senses.
    Mourinho is, at best, the day-before-yesterday's man.  Even without his coaching/man-management inadequacies, he won't get the autonomy at WHL his galactic but fragile ego requires.
    The best spurs can hope for is a season and a half of mediocrity, perhaps rising to 7th or 8th.  Far more likely is a gruesome car crash of a fiasco with the 'special one' flouncing out in a huff or Levy sacking him by Easter amid rancour and recrimination with we self-satisfied keyboard worriers crowing loudly and mocking all tottingham fans we meet.
  • Options
    Mourinho is, at best, the day-before-yesterday's man.  Even without his coaching/man-management inadequacies, he won't get the autonomy at WHL his galactic but fragile ego requires.
    The best spurs can hope for is a season and a half of mediocrity, perhaps rising to 7th or 8th.  Far more likely is a gruesome car crash of a fiasco with the 'special one' flouncing out in a huff or Levy sacking him by Easter amid rancour and recrimination with we self-satisfied keyboard worriers crowing loudly and mocking all tottingham fans we meet.
    I agree but some on here think he's still todays man as he won the league cup and Community Shield in 2016/17 !
  • Options
    The last year of Poch has felt like the last year of Klopp at Dortmund, unless you turn the players over they will get bored of the way of playing and training regime, and if like Klopp you don't freshen it up, it falls apart after a few years.  
  • Options
    Jose Mourinho: 

What's your point?

Dour like Kante? Do you actually watch football?

I think you raise valid points about Mourinho. But as likeable as Pochettino was, he was very much the nearly guy. Spurs played well and had some great wins, but they couldn't deliver consistently and he won nothing.

• Options
    I agree but some on here think he's still todays man as he won the league cup and Community Shield in 2016/17 !
    Who would you appoint then?
  • Options
    Jose Mourinho: 

What's your point?

I think you raise valid points about Mourinho. But as likeable as Pochettino was, he was very much the nearly guy. Spurs played well and had some great wins, but they couldn't deliver consistently and he won nothing.

But Spurs have always been like that.  It's Spurs being Spursey

And I don't buy into the winning trophies is the be all and end all and the only yardstick to measure a manager's success, if you've done a decent job and improved the club, given the fans a team to be proud of that should be how you should go down.  I don't see Alex Mcleish, Michael Laudrup and Roberto Martinez being inducted into the Premiership managers hall of fame anytime soon
  • Options
    Mourinho can play dour football but he also delivers cups and European qualification.

Levy is taking a relatively safe and short term option to maintain income IMHO.

And if Spurs win things few Spurs fans will complain, or at least not too much. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Jose Mourinho: 

What's your point?

And I don't buy into the winning trophies is the be all and end all and the only yardstick to measure a manager's success, if you've done a decent job and improved the club, given the fans a team to be proud of that should be how you should go down.  I don't see Alex Mcleish, Michael Laudrup and Roberto Martinez being inducted into the Premiership managers hall of fame anytime soon
    But trophies do matter, which is why we sing (in our allez allez song) about Jimmy Seed winning the FA Cup, and not Curbs getting top 10 Premier league finishes...
  • Options
    Mourinho can play dour football but he also delivers cups and European qualification.

Levy is taking a relatively safe and short term option to maintain income IMHO.

And if Spurs win things few Spurs fans will complain, or at least not too much. 
    Spot on. Too early to say whether it’s a wise appointment or not but I would bet it works out ok at the very least. He’s not particularly old and he is still a good manager. 
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    Jose Mourinho: 

What's your point?

I think you have defeated yourself there. Martinez did a great job with Wigan and laid the foundations with Swansea. 

Your argument is that trophies shouldn’t mean everything then include Martinez in your list because he didn’t win enough trophies... 
  • Options
    Surely last chance for Mourinho, certainly in England 
  • Options
    Jose Mourinho: 

What's your point?

I think you have defeated yourself there. Martinez did a great job with Wigan and laid the foundations with Swansea. 

Your argument is that trophies shouldn’t mean everything then include Martinez in your list because he didn’t win enough trophies... 
    i'm referring to managers who won a trophy but didn't achieve much else.  Does their trophy win trump everything Pochetino did?

So Alex McLeish did a better job at Birmingham than Poch did with Spurs?
  • Options
    Jose Mourinho: 

What's your point?

i'm referring to managers who won a trophy but didn't achieve much else.  Does their trophy win trump everything Pochetino did?

No but we’re not talking about someone who has won 1 or 2 trophies are we. We are talking about someone who has won over 20 with 5 different clubs in 4 different countries. 

Your original point was that Mourinho is a backwards step from Pochettino but the evidence doesn’t back that up. 
  • Options
    edited November 2019
  • Options
    the other thing about this is that unless Mourinho has changed his man management approach, I can’t see him delivering.  The game has moved on since he built his success at Chelsea and although he was once great, his style won’t deliver.  Say what you like about Liverpool, but Klopp is the benchmark today and his approach is what success in today’s game looks like.  This is a stark contrast from Mourinho.  I don’t doubt his tactical nous and knowledge of the game, but his personality will need a transplant if he is able to man manage effectively today.  

• Options
    edited November 2019
  • Options
    Jose Mourinho: 

What's your point?

No but we’re not talking about someone who has won 1 or 2 trophies are we. We are talking about someone who has won over 20 with 5 different clubs in 4 different countries. 

Your original point was that Mourinho is a backwards step from Pochettino but the evidence doesn’t back that up. 
    well it's all opinions I guess, alot of people have agreed he is a bit yesterday reading this thread

I just think hes the wrong man for Spurs, that new stadium they need full every week, they aint gonna come and watch non football.

Maybe he needs to reinvent himself?  If it's the same old mourinho I can't see him lasting long