Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Spurs sack Pochettino / Mourinho appointed

Comments

• Options
    Can't stand Bore-inho, backward step for Spurs. 
    Jose Mourinho: 

What's your point?

His football is boring, his constant whining and blaming everyone but himself is boring, his overflated ego was amusing at first but now really nauseating and boring.

and to be honest although he has an impressive CV most of it was 10-15 years ago and football has moved on.  There was a small era in the game where stifling the life out of a game and nullifying your opposition was in vogue but not anymore, these days the top teams dominate the ball.

Spending money is not entirely relevant as Bore-inho will just buy dour defensive players like Matic and Kante.  At Chelsea he had Mo Salah and Kevin de Bruyne and bombed them out presumbly cos they attacked too much !

Dour like Kante? Do you actually watch football?

I think you raise valid points about Mourinho. But as likeable as Pochettino was, he was very much the nearly guy. Spurs played well and had some great wins, but they couldn't deliver consistently and he won nothing.

But Spurs have always been like that.  It's Spurs being Spursey

And I don't buy into the winning trophies is the be all and end all and the only yardstick to measure a manager's success, if you've done a decent job and improved the club, given the fans a team to be proud of that should be how you should go down.  I don't see Alex Mcleish, Michael Laudrup and Roberto Martinez being inducted into the Premiership managers hall of fame anytime soon
    I think you have defeated yourself there. Martinez did a great job with Wigan and laid the foundations with Swansea. 

Your argument is that trophies shouldn’t mean everything then include Martinez in your list because he didn’t win enough trophies... 
    i'm referring to managers who won a trophy but didn't achieve much else.  Does their trophy win trump everything Pochetino did?

So Alex McLeish did a better job at Birmingham than Poch did with Spurs?
    No but we’re not talking about someone who has won 1 or 2 trophies are we. We are talking about someone who has won over 20 with 5 different clubs in 4 different countries. 

Your original point was that Mourinho is a backwards step from Pochettino but the evidence doesn’t back that up. 
    well it's all opinions I guess, alot of people have agreed he is a bit yesterday reading this thread

I just think hes the wrong man for Spurs, that new stadium they need full every week, they aint gonna come and watch non football.

Maybe he needs to reinvent himself?  If it's the same old mourinho I can't see him lasting long  
    The stadium will be full regardless. How long is their waiting list.

He won't last long but I doubt Levy or Jose expect him too.

He's come in as a fire fighter, get them out of a mess, win a cup, qualify for Europe and then move on much richer while Spurs hire the young gun, whoever that is.

Will the plan work? Who knows.
  • Options
    I can believe people still take the Oxford supporting troll seriously.

At least out two resident spanners are mostly serious posters.
  • Options
    One thing for sure, Levy just changed the entire club culture. When it ends in tears, Levy will get the axe as well.
  • Options
    JohnBoyUK said:
    Sigh.  Looks like its happening.  Mourinho has been seen at the stadium tonight.
    Lol. Let's see how Eriksen likes his new defensive role  ;)
    I think Jose is a busted flush and Spurs are 5 years too late on this move.
    We shall see.

Won the league cup and Europa league with Man utd in 16-17, then the next season took them to 2nd in the table. Compare that to where United are now. 

It's a wise move by Levy i think as you know what you're getting with Jose. He'll come in, sort things out and steady the ship, get the team into Europe, probably reach (and win) a cup final. As long as you don't expect him to be there for 5 years and build a team then it'll be fine.

Levy can't really afford to gamble after getting rid of Pochettino, he needs a reliable head but ultimately he probably sees Mourinho as a 2 year fix before getting in a younger progressive manager.
    I fully expect a style of football that will not sit well with the fans and certainly won't be competing for the title.
    If they can qualify for champions league in a boring style I suppose that will be something.
    Win a cup? Well, like I say we shall see.
    Expect the usual graceless reaction to defeats and criticism.
    "Competing for the title"
     :D 
  • Options
    I’m scared , the pain of Liverpool winning things will be ten fold if Spurs ever win anything .
    As bad as Jose has become he does win things .
    ok I’ll give em the League Cup and maybe the FA Cup but anything more and the unbearableness of spurs fans will have me cheering on the scousers , that’s how bad it would be if any success went their way .
    Most disliked club in London.
  • Options
    I’m probably in the minority here, but I actually think appointing Mourinho is a good move. Admittedly it went a tits up at Man Utd and he lost the plot towards the end - but in all honestly Man Utd have been a mess since Ferguson left. 
    From what I can see, the main problem at Tottenham is the Chairman. 
    As for Pochettino, I think he was going a bit stale at Tottenham, he won’t be out of work long. 
    Nailed it there Dicky.

I almost added to your 20k likes.
  • Options
    Under achieving divided team.

They need a kick up the arse, and Jose is that boot.

Excellent appointment for this moment in time and I am very surprised that Levy has been brave enough to make the decision as it has the potential to highlight the problems in the general running of the club if it does not go well. Unfortunately, I think in the next 18 months it will go very well.
  • Options
    What I'd like to see is Arsenal sack Emery and bring in Poch and he make top four..
    I think that would just about finish a lot of us off.
  • Options
    JohnBoyUK said:
    What I'd like to see is Arsenal sack Emery and bring in Poch and he make top four..
    Nah you'd get over it. Pat Jennings is still a hero to Spurs fans isn't he?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Back Sheff United to beat Man United on Sunday then Monday morning, Ole gets the boot and Poch gets appointed 48 hours later. 
  • Options
    I’m scared , the pain of Liverpool winning things will be ten fold if Spurs ever win anything .
    As bad as Jose has become he does win things .
    ok I’ll give em the League Cup and maybe the FA Cup but anything more and the unbearableness of spurs fans will have me cheering on the scousers , that’s how bad it would be if any success went their way .
    Most disliked club in London.
    Really? I'd have thought that was Chelsea. Separate thread maybe...

• Options
    Arsenal FanTV would be a great watch (blud)  :smiley:
  • Options
    JohnBoyUK said:
    Tbh with you, I wasn't old enough to see PJ play for Spurs but I do remember him when his career was coming to an end early-mid 80s.  My overriding memory of him is being beaten by Josimar in Mexico '86 from a distance a kin to Columbia from Mexico.  All the videos I watched of his Spurs career, he never seemed to dive properly.  But yes, he is still considerably more Spurs than Arsenal.  Think he's the only player that has been afforded that humility.
  • Options
    JohnBoyUK said:
    JohnBoyUK said:
    Tbh with you, I wasn't old enough to see PJ play for Spurs but I do remember him when his career was coming to an end early-mid 80s.  My overriding memory of him is being beaten by Josimar in Mexico '86 from a distance a kin to Columbia from Mexico.  All the videos I watched of his Spurs career, he never seemed to dive properly.  But yes, he is still considerably more Spurs than Arsenal.  Think he's the only player that has been afforded that humility.
    Three things I will remember him for:

(1) Massive hands and the only keeper I can recall who would consistently catch the ball one handed
    (2) His ability to save with his legs - time after time he would do so
    (3) That goal at Old Trafford - from his own penalty area and one bounce over Alex Stepney 
  • Options
    JohnBoyUK said:
    JohnBoyUK said:
    Sol Campb.........oh.
  • Options
    JohnBoyUK said:
    JohnBoyUK said:
    For some reason the mention of Pat Jennings always reminds me of a young Spurs supporting lad who joined our office team way back in the early 70's, who used to stroll around singing the Spurs players names to the tune of the 12 days of Christmas.
    The last bit went: -
    5 Willieeee Young.
    4 Johnny Pratt
    3 Cyril Knowles
    2 Nutty Naylor 
    And an Irish Navvy in goal
    Terry Neill managed Spurs then moved to Arsenal. Willie Young moved across North London too (and helped to bring in the professional foul rule too after his assault on Paul Allen in the 1980 cup final!)
  • Options
    JohnBoyUK said:
    JohnBoyUK said:
    For some reason the mention of Pat Jennings always reminds me of a young Spurs supporting lad who joined our office team way back in the early 70's, who used to stroll around singing the Spurs players names to the tune of the 12 days of Christmas.
    5 Willieeee Young.
    4 Johnny Pratt
    3 Cyril Knowles
    2 Nutty Naylor 
    Terry Neill managed Spurs then moved to Arsenal. Willie Young moved across North London too (and helped to bring in the professional foul rule too after his assault on Paul Allen in the 1980 cup final!)
    Adebayor, Gallas, Rohan Ricketts and Jamie O'Hara too to complete the list.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    A certain Manager known for his "one nil to the Arsenal" style of football was enticed to manage Spurs too. Now that really is forgiveness!
  • Options
    Arsenal FanTV would be a great watch (blud)  :smiley:
    Racist
  • Options
    One thing for sure, Levy just changed the entire club culture. When it ends in tears, Levy will get the axe as well.

After going to the new Stadium on Sunday to watch Spurs v Arsenal in the WSL with 38K, I can vouch that the 62K Stadium and infrastructure is very impressive. Daniel Levy who I have criticized over the years has found Jose Marino after his conversion to youth and in making the most of the squad he has inherited. 
    I'm beginning to think Daniel Levy may be a genius in the business sense But unless Bale is sacked by Real Madrid and Tottenham get him back on a free, and is paid 300k a week, Jose may end up disappointed if that's the one Target he has in the January Window.
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    Bale should be the target for Man Utd, Arsenal and Spurs. Yes, there would be risks and it may be a short term solution, but he is a player that can transform a side and these sides need that. Spurs could maybe do a swap involving Eriksson but would Bale want to go back?
  • Options
    edited November 2019
  • Options
    Bale should be the target for Man Utd, Arsenal and Spurs. Yes, there would be risks and it may be a short term solution, but he is a player that can transform a side and these sides need that. Spurs could maybe do a swap involving Eriksson but would Bale want to go back?
    Spurs won’t pay anywhere near his £500k a week wages
  • Options
    Bale is far to gung ho for Mourinho, he didn't like Mo Salah and Kev de Bruyne, probably cos they didn't track back and help out in defence
  • Options
    JohnBoyUK said:
    JohnBoyUK said:
    5 Willieeee Young.
    4 Johnny Pratt
    3 Cyril Knowles
    2 Nutty Naylor 
    And that foul, as a then West Ham supporter at 10 years old, is one of the main reasons I dislike Arsenal. Apart from that night in 89 maybe.