Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Luton Town v Charlton Athletic | Tuesday 26 November 2019 | Post-match thread

Comments

• Options
    ct_addick said:
    The old adage you won't win anything with kids! Morgan gave the ball away a lot although grew into game 2nd half. Too easy for their midfield tonight. Gallagher worked his socks off and was unlucky with 2nd half strike that hit post but thought we were poor and always looked vulnerable. Poor clearance by Sarr for equalizer.  
    Eh? Sarr not at fault for second. That was Pratley and Lockyer. 
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    Dazzler21 said:
    To be fair that injury wrecked team never gave up or let their heads go down and kept going right to the end. You can only praise them for that.

But ...

Defensively, we were an absolute shambles for much of the night. If the Luton forwards could have shot straight, we could have been thrashed. And I have to say that LB's decision to go with only 3 in midfield didn't help.

One thing that annoyed the hell out of me tonight was our corners. They are pathetic and offered no danger whatsoever. Don't the players practise them? One things for sure - JJ needs to get them sorted out quickly.

A disappointing night. Not unexpected with that team but if it carries on like this much longer it's going to be a very long season that is surely going to see us struggle to stay up.  
     The balls in were in dangerous areas but the lads didn't attack the ball once from a corner.
    Height would have been an issue too surely... Luton players were a tall side, i.e. take the Centre-Backs
    Sonny Bradley (6.5ft) | Matty Pearson (6.3ft) v Tom Lockyer (5.11ft) | Jason Pearce (6.1ft)
    We didnt really start to win any corners until Naby Sarr went off who would of course been able to challenge them
    Never get the point of lumping balls into the box when your dealing with Defenders of that height, surely its Christmas come early for them?
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    Watched on Valley Pass. Re their first...at half time I wasn't sure whether Solly was the last man. But after the game, and after Terry and Greg had logged off, the EFL stream replayed the highlights several times. Solly nowhere near playing the Luton man on. In which case that ref and linesman had the goal stand because they jointly decided the guy wasn't interfering with play.

And that, people, is why we need VAR.
  • Options
    ct_addick said:
    The old adage you won't win anything with kids! Morgan gave the ball away a lot although grew into game 2nd half. Too easy for their midfield tonight. Gallagher worked his socks off and was unlucky with 2nd half strike that hit post but thought we were poor and always looked vulnerable. Poor clearance by Sarr for equalizer.  
    Doesnt mention the second goal?
  • Options
    Boro v Barnsley tomorrow night 3rd bottom v bottom
    boro win and relegation is only 7 points away from us 

• Options
    Still closer to the Play-Offs :)
  • Options
    sam3110 said:
    I know we are ravaged by injuries right now, but we have our full contingent of defence to call upon and they haven't been good enough over the past few games as a whole. 
    True - but with a depleted midfield and attack our defence is having to do more defending. That might have an impact!
  • Options
    Only concern is the fact that we're failing to win because of our defence (Page the only one out)
    Bowyer will sort it though, have every faith in him - Get the senior players back further up the pitch and we wont find ourselves losing the ball as often
    Also on this... I don't think that is completely true. Our defence is being put under so much more pressure at the moment because our strikers aren't holding it up quite as well as they were at the start of the season and the midfield is being bypassed. Our strongest XI doesn't allow the defence to be put under the kind of pressure our patched up one has been
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Still closer to the Play-Offs :)
    the teams up the top can gain points too !!

• Options
    The defence is looking shakey due to the inexperienced midfield in front of them failing to act as a defensive shield. I'm not criticising them for this, it is a steep learning curve for them and they at least put a shift in and tried their best.
    What did piss me off was the quality of crossing from corners and out wide. Too floaty and deep, easy to defend against.
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    RC_CAFC said:
    They tried their absolute hardest, injuries and luck deserting us together. We have near enough an entire team out and no squad in this league can cope with that. 

Honestly believe that VAR rules out both their goals as well. First was offside and the second hit his arm. Wasn't deliberate I don't think but in the rules that isn't allowed anymore if it contributes towards a goal.

We lost tonight in the midfield. Don't think Gallagher having a rest is the worst thing to happen. Means he can be raring to go in 10 days time.

Finally a special mention to Leko who I thought put in a real shift tonight, some quality moments and a great goal. Far less of the silly showboating.

We will probably lose on Saturday, but I am sure that when we get some players back we will get a good run going again.
    Handball rule is the most confusing in the game now - Does a goal get ruled out regardless if its an accident or not if it hits the attackers arm?
    Or does it only matter if its accidental or not if it hits a Defenders arm (e.g. Penalty awarded)
    I always thought there was one player (attacker or defender) who gets let off in that sort of instance hence the argument / confusion
  • Options
    Watched on Valley Pass. Re their first...at half time I wasn't sure whether Solly was the last man. But after the game, and after Terry and Greg had logged off, the EFL stream replayed the highlights several times. Solly nowhere near playing the Luton man on. In which case that ref and linesman had the goal stand because they jointly decided the guy wasn't interfering with play.

And that, people, is why we need VAR.
    You've got a forward in an offside position, goal side of his defender and practically standing on the goal line ..... and yet  not interfering with play?

At the same time, you've got another forward in an offside position blocking off the goalkeeper from dealing with the shot  .... and yet not interfering with play?

• Options
    Huge disappointment this one. When you've got injuries as you're not playing well, gifting three points to a team in 22nd place is not the way to go about your business. We might have injuries but the team starting on the pitch should have been enough to get something off Luton. Instead we've helped a team we desperately need to keep below us catch up.
    One of our biggest problems at the moment is that our injuries aren't evenly distributed; the one place we're not lacking in players is in defence, meaning Bowyer is somewhere between encouraged and forced to play three at the back. We rarely look our best in that formation, and it's particularly frustrating setting up that way against a team we should be looking to beat. I'd really like to see us go back to the diamond as soon as possible once we get a few more players back.
  • Options
    0%       Automatics ..................... 1%     Play offs ..................... 24%         7th-12th ............................ 70%         13th-21st ..........................5% Relegation

• Options
    RC_CAFC said:
    They tried their absolute hardest, injuries and luck deserting us together. We have near enough an entire team out and no squad in this league can cope with that. 

Honestly believe that VAR rules out both their goals as well. First was offside and the second hit his arm. Wasn't deliberate I don't think but in the rules that isn't allowed anymore if it contributes towards a goal.

We lost tonight in the midfield. Don't think Gallagher having a rest is the worst thing to happen. Means he can be raring to go in 10 days time.

Finally a special mention to Leko who I thought put in a real shift tonight, some quality moments and a great goal. Far less of the silly showboating.

We will probably lose on Saturday, but I am sure that when we get some players back we will get a good run going again.
    Handball rule is the most confusing in the game now - Does a goal get ruled out regardless if its an accident or not if it hits the attackers arm?
    Or does it only matter if its accidental or not if it hits a Defenders arm (e.g. Penalty awarded)
    I always thought there was one player (attacker or defender) who gets let off in that sort of instance hence the argument / confusion
    Current ruling is that if a striker accidentally handles it on the way to a goal, then the goal is ruled out regardless. If the defender accidentally handles it in a natural position, no foul/pen.
  • Options
    ct_addick said:
    Easy mistake to make I suppose.
  • Options
    Like stepping back in time, as for the game, we weren't awful, we weren't great either. They had more enegy once they scored, youngsters did ok when they came on but it feels like the quad are waiting for players to come back as much as we are with some of their body language. Long few weeks ahead. 

Must also say, I was expecting a noisy packed ground but the home support was pathetic. All very strange
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    RC_CAFC said:
    RC_CAFC said:

Current ruling is that if a striker accidentally handles it on the way to a goal, then the goal is ruled out regardless. If the defender accidentally handles it in a natural position, no foul/pen.
    Cheers thats what I thought from Man City v Tottenham this season
    The handball against SIssoko in the Champions League Final was what confused me
  • Options
    edited November 2019

Oztumer potentially back on Saturday
    Bowyer feels both goals for Luton should have been ruled out and calls for VAR in the Championship
    Cullen potentially back for Christmas
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    To be fair that injury wrecked team never gave up or let their heads go down and kept going right to the end. You can only praise them for that.

But ...

Defensively, we were an absolute shambles for much of the night. If the Luton forwards could have shot straight, we could have been thrashed. And I have to say that LB's decision to go with only 3 in midfield didn't help.

One thing that annoyed the hell out of me tonight was our corners. They are pathetic and offered no danger whatsoever. Don't the players practise them? One things for sure - JJ needs to get them sorted out quickly.

A disappointing night. Not unexpected with that team but if it carries on like this much longer it's going to be a very long season that is surely going to see us struggle to stay up.  
     The balls in were in dangerous areas but the lads didn't attack the ball once from a corner.
    Height would have been an issue too surely... Luton players were a tall side, i.e. take the Centre-Backs
    Sonny Bradley (6.5ft) | Matty Pearson (6.3ft) v Tom Lockyer (5.11ft) | Jason Pearce (6.1ft)
    We didnt really start to win any corners until Naby Sarr went off who would of course been able to challenge them
    Never get the point of lumping balls into the box when your dealing with Defenders of that height, surely its Christmas come early for them?
    Best corners I ever saw Charlton take consistently was a good few years ago when Powell would cross to the near post, Giles or Berry flick it on for Hales or Fanagan to score. It was incredibly hard to defend against.

Maybe they should try that or something else out of a training manual because i stick by my guns on my original comment - those corners tonight were woeful.
  • Options
    Three away games for me and three 2-1 defeats 

can’t fault the commitment tonight but so desperately short of quality

Doughty Morgan Gallagher and Pratley the standouts but we didn’t deserve a point

Their no 24 is good 
  • Options
    First real crisis Bowyer has faced. Need to get back to basics as Curbishley would have done. Not worried yet but we need to steady the ship pdq. No point in looking at a new owner sorting us out. We need to get it sorted with what we’ve got. 
  • Options
    First real crisis Bowyer has faced. Need to get back to basics as Curbishley would have done. Not worried yet but we need to steady the ship pdq. No point in looking at a new owner sorting us out. We need to get it sorted with what we’ve got. 
    Think Bowyer would love to but doesnt have the squad to sort things out
    This isnt a bad run because of players being out of form, its because we dont have enough players to make a difference
  • Options
    Unfortunately I think some heavy defeats could be coming , rather than a stirring revival.  Once we start shipping the 3 and 4,s I really think we could career over the edge, an not be able to turn it round. You get nothing for hard work and bad luck. 
  • Options
    Wheels slowly coming off. The euphoria/optimism from last year is slowly wearing off. Too many injuries to key players. Only one person to blame. Roland, stop messing about and give Bowyer what he needs. 

We need key players back. 

• Options
    Three away games for me and three 2-1 defeats 

can’t fault the commitment tonight but so desperately short of quality

Doughty Morgan Gallagher and Pratley the standouts but we didn’t deserve a point

Their no 24 is good 
    I am never one to knock others opinions but always find it funny when others see things so differently from me. For me, the game was lost in the central midfield and thought that up until the last 10-15 our central midfielders all had poor games (Thought that Morgan started showing some class towards the end). 

Fully agree with you about Browne though. Thought he was superb.