Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Luton Town v Charlton Athletic | Tuesday 26 November 2019 | Post-match thread

Comments

• Options
    Offside or not.....these things do even themselves out over a season. We got a dodgy pen up at WBA & Cardiff could easily have had a pen 1st half last saturday. Dont think VAR would make any difference.....just same shit different day.

As for the game itself. Wasnt there so no comment from me other to say that we have been dealt a poor hand with injuries. Hopefully in a week or 2 a few will be back & we can stand a fighting chance of getting something from a game. It's no coincidence that our poor run has come when we've had no Taylor or William's and other players out (Field, JFC and Kayal) has meant no rotation or formation changes are possible.

Oh well......saturday is going to be a bundle of laughs !!
  • Options
    Earlier in the season, through sheer grit and balls and also other teams not really hitting their straps yet we were able to hold on and surprise a few teams... 

Now we are looking paper thin and the belief is ebbing away, we need some bodies back big time, Bowyer's job is becoming increasingly difficult, let's hope everyone sticks together and we can find a win from somewhere, anywhere... and fast.
  • Options
    Watched at home. Luton were the better side. As mentioned above we don’t look like keeping a clean sheet. I believe it’s a team issue rather than blaming the back 4

Huge fan of Pratley & Morgan but they were poor today. The back 5 doesn’t work, especially with Purrington playing as left wing back. 

We surely must be close to having some of the 10+ injured players back ready for selection soon.
  • Options
    Watched at home. Luton were the better side. As mentioned above we don’t look like keeping a clean sheet. I believe it’s a team issue rather than blaming the back 4

Huge fan of Pratley & Morgan but they were poor today. The back 5 doesn’t work, especially with Purrington playing as left wing back. 

We surely must be close to having some of the 10+ injured players back ready for selection soon.
    Agree with all of that
  • Options

Just wondering if Oshilaja can play in the middle of midfield.  Don’t want to see 5 at the back again on sat, but appreciate we might not have much choice.  For me, a large part of that formation is the role the wing backs play when getting forward, and as you mention, Purrington for me isn’t his most effective in that position 

clutching at straws here, but sort of team I’d hope for on sat is

Philips 

Solly/Matthews Lockyer Pearce Purrington 

Leko Pratley Oshilaja Morgan Doughty 

Bonne 

Only one up top, but I think that just gives a bit more balance and won’t require Purrington and whoever of Solly/Matthews to be expected to get forward as much 
  • Options

For all Morgans spraying about 50 yard balls etc, I don't think its always necessary with this team we have and the way we play. He desperately needs to learn the aggressive, tenacious side that Cullen and Pratley have because, bar his passing I really don't think he offers much else currently, hence why he was on loan in non League. Gallagher looked below par, but I don't think a rest on Saturday will do him any harm. Leko played well. Took his goal well and got involved, as did Bonne who is great with his feet at times. Defensively, we were terrible. Torn apart on various occasions in the first half. As for Solly playing RWB, when you look to have someone going up and down the wings and you see Solly standing there, you know you are in trouble. Don't think he made more than 2 forward passes last night, love the guy but he isn't right in that system.

Still could be worse, imagine living in Luton and having to visit that shitehole every other week. We will be okay when our players start to come back, but at the minute, that seems a long long way away..

• Options
    You all think you're disappointed? We drew with Wigan. WIGAN!!!!
  • Options
    5-3-2 doesn't work for us. We are losing too many games when we set up like it.

We need to go back to 4-1-2-1-2 away from home. 
  • Options
    Disappointing and can't see it improving anytime soon with the options.

Defence is being singled out but you defend as a team and we gave it away cheaply in midfield many times.

Players look out on there legs but we have no viable options like earlier in the season when Bows rotated often.

This group deserve our backing they gave ourselves a better start than expected and due to bad fortune we find ourselves in a poor run, but I don't think you can angle at any of them they are not trying there best in the circumstances
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    We're in a dreadful run of form and confidence seems to be evaporating. If we keep conceding soft goals the stuggle will continue.

Cullen, Gallagher, Taylor and Williams missing on Saturday so we'll really have to battle.
  • Options
    completely agree with Redmidland and I'd add for the 2nd goal Pratley, an experienced player, got dispossessed fo the ball in mid field which lead to the goal, if he hadn't then off side wouldn't have come into it - a poor performance all round.
  • Options
    Difficult to be critical of the endeavour but it was frustrating watching us in possession. We were not brave enough in the middle of the park both physically and wanting the ball in difficult areas. Bowyer will need to think how we can play without Cullen. We probably will need to go longer and Leko will be needed to play like he did last night, he was excellent and certainly our best attacking player. Also, Alfie is good enough.
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    Massive, massive expected over reactions. 
    The injuries are a huge reason we haven't beaten these. 

We have 10 or 12 first teamers out or whatever it is, 7 academy products in the squad. 
    Yeah we look tired, nervous, lacking a bit of energy, no shit sherlock. 

We struggled to get that side out last night  against a side with a history of a good home record, desperate for points, and put into perspective the side we put out that had a 4nil home written all over it. A typical Charlton side would have got totally dicked, we didn't, could have been a 4 or 5 nil  but it wasn't, 2-1, so what, they weren't head and shoulders above us last night, probably deserved the win

Now I'm not RDs biggest fan by a long shot but to blame him for 'paper thin squad'. 
    The squad is big enough but you couldn't make up the bad luck with injuries, how can we do anything about it until January????? 

Expectedly it goes rather quiet whilst we were riding the wave with no injuries but a few bad results and minimal squad the moaning about RD starts again. 

As stated I'm not a supporter of RD but acting childish and starting to blame him for everything going wrong the past 2 mknths is cannon fodder to him and all the talks port clowns as there is clear and obvious reasons for the decline in this period and it ain't RD.

Championship is what it is and anyone who thought we could stay top 6 all season without a care in the world is fucking blinded. 
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    Sadly I predicted this and knew we would lose soon after we scored. The team lacks three C's. Composure, Confidence and Courage. Luton were on the ropes when we scored, so what sort of tactic is it to stand off them and allow them to rebuild their confidence? It seems to be our stock tactic when we go ahead and I don't blame Bowyer for that, it is a collective player mentality thing.
    Having said all of that, any team would struggle with the number of key players we have out. But those on here that sing Morgan's praises saying he should be in the team, he showed yesterday that he has potential but his game is too lacking as it stands. Sadly he is a passenger player at the moment and it is something he needs to address. 
    The defence are put under too much pressure from a weak midfield and they have shown they crumble under that pressure. I'm sure things will get better when players start coming back though.
  • Options
    Maybe Albie may have been less of a passenger if he had Cullen, Williams, Oztumer, Kayal, Aneke, Field, or even Caskey next to him not another 19 yo
  • Options
    Yes, you can carry him with the right players next to him. But of course, you would rather players carry themselves.
  • Options
    Too many injuries and also too many soft defensive errors are costing us. We'll be fine when we get a few bodies back, until then it's going to be a struggle
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Look at squad sizes on back  of Millwall programme. 
    Even the most half sensible of their supports know that 4 injuries and they are fcked, 12 and they wouldn't have a bench
  • Options
    I think we probably wouldn't have lost yesterday if Oztumer was playing.
  • Options
    cabbles said:

Just wondering if Oshilaja can play in the middle of midfield.  Don’t want to see 5 at the back again on sat, but appreciate we might not have much choice.  For me, a large part of that formation is the role the wing backs play when getting forward, and as you mention, Purrington for me isn’t his most effective in that position 

clutching at straws here, but sort of team I’d hope for on sat is

Philips 

Solly/Matthews Lockyer Pearce Purrington 

Leko Pratley Oshilaja Morgan Doughty 

Bonne 

Only one up top, but I think that just gives a bit more balance and won’t require Purrington and whoever of Solly/Matthews to be expected to get forward as much 
    Was thinking the same thing only maybe Matthews right midfield (if Solly okay to start), Leko left. 
  • Options
    Admittedly we didnt play well and the injuries are without a doubt the main reason for this dip. Doesnt help when you get decisions going against you as well. How for the life of me their 1st goal was given i'll never know,awful,their player is offside,standing directly in front of Phillips and the goal stands? Righto. The 2nd goal handball shouldve been seen but,granted,probably a bit more difficult at normal speed but the 1st goal is criminal. Pretty sure,for all its faults,VAR wouldve chalked off both their goals.
  • Options
    LouisMend said:
    We are giving away too many soft goals at the moment, which is the frustrating thing. We've not being played off the park, which is reflected in how close our games have been, but conceding too many preventable goals. It wouldn't be fun to watch, but nil nil on Saturday would be an achievement to show we can defend as a team
  • Options
    For me, the biggest issue of the ridiculous injury list is the knock-on effect that it has on our confidence.

Last night we spent most of the game backing off Luton, trying to desperately contain them and play long balls. On the rare occasions we pressed Luton, they didn't look great and misplaced passes. We were poor, their first goal should have been disallowed but Luton definitely deserved the 3 points, we just weren't up for it at all.

Compare that with the start of the season when the side including the likes of Williams, Taylor, Cullen etc instilled so much more confidence into the team.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    No injuries but another loss from a winning position.
    sums it up .. Luton looked far the better team on the night .. we are down to the bone marrow let alone the bare bones .. (Doughty again showed promise and is worth a start)
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    For me, the biggest issue of the ridiculous injury list is the knock-on effect that it has on our confidence.

Last night we spent most of the game backing off Luton, trying to desperately contain them and play long balls. On the rare occasions we pressed Luton, they didn't look great and misplaced passes. We were poor, their first goal should have been disallowed but Luton definitely deserved the 3 points, we just weren't up for it at all.

Compare that with the start of the season when the side including the likes of Williams, Taylor, Cullen etc instilled so much more confidence into the team.
    I totally agree with this. And it is understandable given the weakness of the team we are fielding in certain areas. 

Doughty showed promise against Cardiff. less so last night. Maybe worth a start for the benefit of his experience but it won't make us more likely to win. Nothing against the lad, he is clearly down as a player I will be keeping an eye on.