Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Luton Town v Charlton Athletic | Tuesday 26 November 2019 | Post-match thread

Comments

• Options
    On a positive note.....We've scored more goals than Leeds
  • Options
    With all the injuries, how can we expect anything better? Just be patient (heard that before somewhere), and hope the second half of the season will improve our position
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    Roland not really to blame for this. We assembled a really quite sizeable squad, and they've been picked off with a relentlessness that defies belief
    Not forgetting that Dickhead is going to give the Dijksteel money to Bowyer in January, we'll be alright, ahem.
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    Roland not really to blame for this. We assembled a really quite sizeable squad, and they've been picked off with a relentlessness that defies belief
    Only argument against that is with a decent budget we could have ruled out players who have suffered constantly from injuries in the past
    Thats probably limited to Jonny Williams (has the talent to take the risk) | Lewis Page | Chuks Aneke
    Apart from Cullen (who has suffered from two injuries that could happen to anyone) there isnt really anyone else
  • Options
    Keep signing injury prone players, and what you expect? get real taylors off in Jan, Williams won't last 5 games when he comes back, page the Brighton Boys, nothing is gonna change, just have to get on with it!! 
  • Options
    Sage said:
    Horrible run of form, horrible situation and we keep conceding goals, that’s 18 goals conceded now in 12 games Taylor has missed, 11 in the 6 Williams has missed.

They’re grafting and we will pick up again when we get an actual squad together, but it’s really tough right now.

Even the best teams in the league will struggle if you have 13 players out, nearly all of which would be in the squad, and 8 or 9 of which would probably be in the starting 11. It’s really tough times right now for us and will show how strong the group is when we pull through it.

We are conceding goals and the defence looks poor, but they’ve not got much protection in front of them. Morgan and Gallagher are good players technical lot but both need to learn the defensive side of the game and both are still so young.

When you have Cullen, Field, Kayal, Williams, Forster-Caskey, Lapslie, Aneke, Oztumer and possibly others I can’t even remember as there are so many, all out, it’s a joke. That’s just the midfield! Now Gallagher is suspended as well for Saturday. Name me a team who wouldn’t struggle with 9 midfielders out.

We just need to be more understanding with this group because they’ll pull through.
    Couldn’t agree more.

Last year League 1 in November...

Midfield - Cullen, Aribo, Bielik , Williams

Up front - Karlan Grant, Lyle Taylor

We lost today.........No shit Sherlock
  • Options
    Sage said:
    Even the best teams in the league will struggle if you have 13 players out, nearly all of which would be in the squad, and 8 or 9 of which would probably be in the starting 11. 
    Taylor , Cullen , Williams and the rest are subjective 
    I can’t see 8 or 9 of those missing tonight in the starting line up 
  • Options
    The non-decision for their first goal is absolutely criminal.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Davo55 said:
    This is what happens when you get such a severe injury crisis. We played a formation to suit the players we had available for selection and their four man midfield passed around our three with ease. Albie didn't play too badly but you can see why Lee Bowyer wanted him to learn his defensive trade more on loan at a lower level. When we brought Alfie Doughty on and matched up tactically we looked much better, getting on the front foot and putting their defence under pressure. If we had taken the game to them from the off I think we could have got a result tonight. Alfie did very well, building on his cameo at the weekend and contributing all over the pitch. I think Leko had his best game for us, although he faded a bit as the match wore on. Him, together with Pratley, Bonne and Pearce were our standout performers in what was generally a pretty sub-standard performance. Conor was below par by his own incredible standards but we can forgive him that.

But, we are scratching around at present, trying to snatch whatever points we can. Getting our better players back from injury is obviously key but Lee has to avoid the temptation of bringing them back too quickly and risking further damage. Be patient, ride out the storm and aim to have a strong run when we are able to field a proper Championship eleven.
    Pretty much nailed it for me Davo, except I thought Pratley was poor.  Gave the ball away when trying to control it for their second, and was too slow to turn, get the ball out from under his feet and generally move forward.  He’s been immense for us, but tonight I thought he summed up the hesitancy in our play.  

With the likes of Millwall, Luton etc (even with the injuries), for me we’ve got to be braver.  Back 3, back 5 however you want to say it is good for the better teams like WBA and Fulham, but for these sort of games, maybe be a bit more adventurous.  I do take your point the formation was dictated by the players available.

proper frustrated tonight.  Sort of performance and situation that makes you want to take to a punch bag or something.  Going to bed angry, will probably wake up angry and the defeat won’t be out my system for a few days.  Agitations 
  • Options
    Sounds like you were hard done by with a couple of decisions - there have been calls by some Championship managers for VAR.

But as you have probably seen that isn't exactly reliable!!!

So the decisions might have not been over turned. 
  • Options
    Just back from that dump.

Really frustrating as Luton are bang average and with our key players back we would have won tonight easily. Overall I thought we did ok, but it was a poor quality match probably worse than when we played each other a year ago. The quality of a Williams or a Taylor would have made the difference.

Nobody was outstanding, nobody was terrible really. Thought Leko had a bright game, and while Morgan struggled a bit defensively some of his passing in the last 30 minutes was superb, he was pinging it around like a Michael Carrick. 

• Options
    Time to lump on large lads, playoff odds will be mahoosive!!
  • Options
    As Charlton fans we have a large data pool of piss poor results to reflect on. We're on a bad run at the no but no one has beaten us by more than a goal and we've finished every game with a sniff of a better result. This isn't fun but it doesn't feel anything like some of the awful performances we put in last time we were in the champ.

Roll on Dec 7th if the rumours about Taylor and Williams are true.
  • Options
    cabbles said:
    Davo55 said:
    This is what happens when you get such a severe injury crisis. We played a formation to suit the players we had available for selection and their four man midfield passed around our three with ease. Albie didn't play too badly but you can see why Lee Bowyer wanted him to learn his defensive trade more on loan at a lower level. When we brought Alfie Doughty on and matched up tactically we looked much better, getting on the front foot and putting their defence under pressure. If we had taken the game to them from the off I think we could have got a result tonight. Alfie did very well, building on his cameo at the weekend and contributing all over the pitch. I think Leko had his best game for us, although he faded a bit as the match wore on. Him, together with Pratley, Bonne and Pearce were our standout performers in what was generally a pretty sub-standard performance. Conor was below par by his own incredible standards but we can forgive him that.

But, we are scratching around at present, trying to snatch whatever points we can. Getting our better players back from injury is obviously key but Lee has to avoid the temptation of bringing them back too quickly and risking further damage. Be patient, ride out the storm and aim to have a strong run when we are able to field a proper Championship eleven.
    Pretty much nailed it for me Davo, except I thought Pratley was poor.  Gave the ball away when trying to control it for their second, and was too slow to turn, get the ball out from under his feet and generally move forward.  He’s been immense for us, but tonight I thought he summed up the hesitancy in our play.  

With the likes of Millwall, Luton etc (even with the injuries), for me we’ve got to be braver.  Back 3, back 5 however you want to say it is good for the better teams like WBA and Fulham, but for these sort of games, maybe be a bit more adventurous.  I do take your point the formation was dictated by the players available.

proper frustrated tonight.  Sort of performance and situation that makes you want to take to a punch bag or something.  Going to bed angry, will probably wake up angry and the defeat won’t be out my system for a few days.  Agitations 
    Pratley was perhaps slightly disappointing, but then to me he's best as a defensive midfielder who can drop back to be a 3rd CB when needed and as we were playing 3 CBs anyway, he played further forward. I was surprised that Morgan was often the deepest midfielder.
  • Options
    Got a quite a few Luton mates and said to them that I didn’t expect anything from tonight’s game! Not too fussed! We are a much better side than them with even half the injured players out back! No need to panic guys! Long way to go yet 
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    A small consolation is that the other results went our way tonight.
    And down in L1 Sunderland lost at home to Burton
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Luton ground is a dump but i love it, proper old school football ground.  The lads gave everything but in the end were just not up to it and Luton deserved the win despite the fact they seemingly got lucky with both of their goals.  Get players back fit and we will be ok but it needs to happen quickly and they need to stay fit afterwards.
  • Options
    Good effort by the boys but just to many out at the moment. 
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    LenGlover said:
    The reality of Roland forcing us to rummage in the rubbish bin for scraps is well and truly biting now.

I said 21st would be a wonderful season, given the constraints Bowyer and co are operating under, and we have seen why over the past few games. 

God forbid the lunatic selling someone important in January. 
    Williams, scraps? Taylor, scraps? Cullen, scraps? Page, well I will give you that one.

They might have been free or on loan but they are the only 3 that would be "first choice" and were missing. 

Your right though 21st would be an achievement but to blame Roland for every injury is fucking laughable.  

Shit happens, and believe it or not, shit isn't all Roland's fault.  Yes 3 or 4 of our 1st team squad aren't as good as we would like, Roland could deal with that, Lee Bowyer could have a "proper contract", Roland could deal with that, 3 of our best players having contact injuries AND having 8 other injuries at the same time IS NOT HIS FAULT.

Roland, this, Roland that, it really pisses me off.  It takes the credibility of the REAL Roland argument away when you blame everything on him. 

I am sick of it.  The sooner he fucks off the better, but you can't blame him for Gallagher's booking or a Nabby Sarr miss pass. 
    It is ridiculously bad luck to lose 3 key players Taylor, Williams and Cullen, but then to be also missing Field, Oztumer, Kayal, Hemed, JFC, Lapslie and Aneke. 

In September I thought we had too many midfielders. 7 injuries later...
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    LenGlover said:
    The reality of Roland forcing us to rummage in the rubbish bin for scraps is well and truly biting now.

I said 21st would be a wonderful season, given the constraints Bowyer and co are operating under, and we have seen why over the past few games. 

God forbid the lunatic selling someone important in January. 
    Williams, scraps? Taylor, scraps? Cullen, scraps? Page, well I will give you that one.

They might have been free or on loan but they are the only 3 that would be "first choice" and were missing. 

Your right though 21st would be an achievement but to blame Roland for every injury is fucking laughable.  

Shit happens, and believe it or not, shit isn't all Roland's fault.  Yes 3 or 4 of our 1st team squad aren't as good as we would like, Roland could deal with that, Lee Bowyer could have a "proper contract", Roland could deal with that, 3 of our best players having contact injuries AND having 8 other injuries at the same time IS NOT HIS FAULT.

Roland, this, Roland that, it really pisses me off.  It takes the credibility of the REAL Roland argument away when you blame everything on him. 

I am sick of it.  The sooner he fucks off the better, but you can't blame him for Gallagher's booking or a Nabby Sarr miss pass. 
    It's the same story as every year with Roland.

We usually cobble together a decent first X1 but once the inevitable injuries kick in the depth isn't there because of the poor budget relative to our competitors. We are in the market for the injury prone or unfit through having missed out on pre season for whatever reason.

I agree he cannot be blamed for individual mistakes of players or even some injuries such as Cullen's on Saturday.

That said has he resourced the medical department properly? That's a question not a statement as I don't know the answer. What I do know is that there seems to be a Black Hole at Sparrow's Lane into which players disappear seemingly never to re-emerge properly fit. In fairness that happened prior to Roland's time too.

Those wasters from Brighton sum up the Roland era quite well. On paper they both have the pedigree to perform at this level but the reality is like buying a cheap flat at an auction and then realising there are only a few years left on the lease. 

Nothing is quite what it seems.

I'm 100% behind Lee, Jacko and the boys. They are giving everything they have but there are real questions as to whether that will prove sufficient to survive beyond this season at the level. In my opinion.

• Options
    No plan b tonight! 
  • Options
    No fucker is taking shots. Long balls didn't work first half, constant crosses did nothing second half. Players need to be shooting with their feet and stop passing it across the box... fed up tonight...

I expect to get spanked by Sheffield on Saturday.......
  • Options
    It was a shambles tonight tbh. I have just watched the goals on sky sports news after getting back. How the hell did they allow Lutons first!? Shocking.

We looked good until we scored then did nothing for over half hour. I even thought we lacked effort tonight.  They were so slow at the back but we failed to test them after our goal.

Dillon had a blinder
    Naby has become a liability
    Midfield 3 were dominated and went missing. Morgan is nowhere near ready for this league.
    Great finish from Leko.

All capped off with an absolute tosser in crowd.

Not looking forward to Boro away now.

• Options
    At the match thought the first goal look offside seen it again and again how is that not off side?