Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton Athletic v Huddersfield Town | Tues 10 December | Post-match views

Comments

• Options
    I was in line with our “offside” goal and I believe it was the correct decision .

As a seasoned Lino I was shouting out “offside offside” when the linos flag went up trying to stop people wrongly celebrating around me , although it was pretty empty so hardly anyone heard the bore at the back of the family stand 

The referee heard you, OohAaagh ..... well done! :smile:

• Options
    edited December 2019
    Beaten to it. :-)
  • Options
    Incredibly annoying. Still rather that than VAR though. 
  • Options
    Thought while watching on the red button we'd been robbed there as it didn't look offside. Unfortunately we're not getting the rub of the green right now
  • Options
    Why Venners on rather than Morgan? Baffled me. Not criticising the lad but it was like putting on a schoolboy!
    I'm wondering if Bow's options were further limited by the injury to Davison in the U-23s game on Monday, when he scored twice then was subbed off late on with a head injury-  so Vennings got the bench place instead of the forward option of Davison?
    By picking Davison for the the U23s on Monday, no way would he have been in Bowyer's plans for a Tuesday game
  • Options
    IT_Andy said:
    Just need to look at Huddersfield's subs to understand how hard it is. They brought on Simpson who I think in right in saying played in Leicester's title winning team. Despite them looking awful they did have a few good players and that shows how hard it is for our kids to compete.
    The other sub they brought on though was an 18 year old, and he scored the winner. Their bench was as weak looking as ours
  • Options
    Huddersfield were pretty poor but they were better than us. In the first half there was a strong wind blowing towards the covered end which really helped the away team. In fact it was so bad that several fans ran for cover back in the stands. I thought, 'Well, at least we will have that advantage in the second half.' Guess what? The wind stopped at the start of the second half but it carried on drizzling. 
    We played crappy until Taylor came on and then we suddenly improved. What a difference one man makes, especially as Leko is such a lightweight. I couldn't see anything wrong with our goal and then the kick in the guts with Huddersfield's last minute winner. The footballing gods really hate us at the moment but hopefully we will get our injured players back soon.
    IMO Nabby should be playing second tier french football. Then he would have all the time in the world and would be an absolute star. Last night he was so hot and cold it was ridiculous! 
  • Options
    We keep bashing the defence but until our midfield improves we're going to struggle as we're wrecked by injuries. Most of our defenders aren't great on the ball but we're not conceding a lot and scoring or even just creating chances is far more of an issue.

I think Solly is fine as a full back but not really suited to a wing back. He wasn't the only player culpable for their goal as Sarr seemed to duck under the shot.
  • Options
    We keep bashing the defence but until our midfield improves we're going to struggle as we're wrecked by injuries. Most of our defenders aren't great on the ball but we're not conceding a lot and scoring or even just creating chances is far more of an issue.

I think Solly is fine as a full back but not really suited to a wing back. He wasn't the only player culpable for their goal as Sarr seemed to duck under the shot.
    He's not ducking the shot....he's trying to get his head on it as it flies past. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Leuth said:
    As the only fair and balanced critic of Comrade Naby, my report dictates the following: that he had a decent game, won just about all his headers, made several good tackles, got in our only good aerial cross, scored a legitimate goal, played various excellent forward passes, and on a couple of occasions played errant balls when trying to retain possession rather than hoof it aimlessly. In doing so, Comrade Naby was directly responsible for the booking of Comrade Lockyer, for which he has formally apologised. Nowhere in the official report of the democratic republic of Floyd Road is any ducking under a shot recorded, and as for allegations he walked back after losing the ball, it is alleged that his long strides make his actual speed appear slower than it is (how often has he been done for pace in a one-on-one?) In summary, then, Comrade Naby is confirmed as having had a 'decent game' and censure has been recommended for any and all dissenters. All hail Floyd Road! All hail Charlton!
    Very good, Leuth. You've pointed out many of things Naby did right .... and he should get credit where due.

But when you look at the Sky video highlights, there's our Naby standing off and losing his man in critical areas. This is not about the player's ability, he's got that in abundance .... but where is his concentration, reactions, necessary aggression and sheer determination to not let his man go?

The problem is not in his feet but in his head.

And BTW I like Naby, he's got a lot too offer but at the moment mainly going forward.  That's great, but first and foremost he must properly defend. If he wants to be a Championship CB then he must find the edge to play like one.

• Options
    In that formation he was sort of playing as a bizarre sweeper/left-back hybrid in the second half. Kind of suits him. Would like to see more. With a real winger/attacking wing-back next to him rather than Purrington
  • Options
    Naby was the only one yesterday playing balls forward - yes he might have lost the ball once or twice, but no other player was doing what he was doing
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    I'm also confused by those saying he stood off his man for the shot Phillips turned over - he wasn't even anywhere near the penalty area for that one as he was the one who lost the ball on the halfway line (with more than a hint of opposition handball) while trying to break!
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    I'm also confused by those saying he stood off his man for the shot Phillips turned over - he wasn't even anywhere near the penalty area for that one as he was the one who lost the ball on the halfway line (with more than a hint of opposition handball) while trying to break!
    I've just watched the highlights again, Leuth ..... he let his man get in front of him towards the edge of the 6 yard box, but the forward knocked his shot over Phillips and the bar; I'd thought Phillips had touched it over but no, just challenged and made himself big.

The possession he lost just over the halfway line was a bit unfortunate - but in the corner of the picture you see Naby ambling back with all the time in the world - and out of the picture but nowhere near the box when Phillips turned the shot round the post. 

Surely he should have been sprinting back to recover his position?

• Options
    We were one better clearance and a very tight/probably incorrect offside decision from getting pretty much the perfect result and performance we could expect given the confidence of the squad and injury list.  It was a classic Curbs type of formation to try and end a losing run, mainly 5-4-1 sometimes becoming 5-3-2. All Bowyer and the team was trying to do was grind out a draw or sneak a victory if we could and it was so close to working out. If Solly's clearance was better, we should all have been happy (I realise some are never happy!) to have at least stopped a bit of a rot and got a point which would have been deserved.
    Instead we got nothing and we'll have to put up with a few more low quality, grinding type performances in order to get back on track. I thought we played ok given what I was expecting, which admittedly, wasnt much!  We aren't suddenly going to start performing as we were early in the season, it is going to take time to get back there
  • Options
    Naby was the only one yesterday playing balls forward - yes he might have lost the ball once or twice, but no other player was doing what he was doing
    This is what I saw too. I only saw three players trying to make something happen through the game. Sarr, Gallagher and Taylor when he came on.
  • Options
    I don't think anyone is criticising Naby for his distribution - just some of his 2nd to the ball defensive play.

• Options
    The one Grant skied from close range...surely Sarr gets credit there for getting the challenge in? I thought he may have got a toe on it too 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    How can people try to dig out Sarr after watching Pearce's 'performances' this season? 
  • Options
    With the formation we had yesterday, I didn't mind Naby wandering upfield, indeed we needed someone to do it. 
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    The one Grant skied from close range...surely Sarr gets credit there for getting the challenge in? I thought he may have got a toe on it too 
    Deffo got a touch on it , should have been a corner to them but we never get any decisions 
  • Options
    In general our passing out of defence was appalling and we were lucky not to get done earlier,Solly,who I thought had a very sound game,made one error and we were punished.But even then,no way the guy should have got a free shot at goal,this is not the first time this has happened.
    The debate on leko goes on,his decision making drives me to distraction,and hopefully in time will improve.However,once last night he was chasing Grant,yes a forlorn task,but he actually stopped running just short of our penalty area,that is not on on.
  • Options
    The first half was really dire. But had the officials not made the mistake for our goal, we would have won 1-0! Things did get better when Lyle came on, we HAVE to sign him up once the takeover goes through. Other than that, Dillon made a couple of excellent saves. Everyone else was pretty poor, although as already posted, Naby was good going forward and did score a perfectly good goal. The defence will always struggle when we play so deep. I still think we’ll be OK, but we need to scratch out a win one way or another.
  • Options
    Sorry but i feel Naby is a disaster waiting to happen every time he gets the ball. Telegraphs virtually every pass and has little control over the pace of his pass. Swing that left leg and fingers crossed the ball stays in play. Harsh, yes. But I have lost patience after giving him the benefit of the doubt for so long.
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    BBC stats says that we had no shots on target.....but seeing as we had a goal disallowed then that is not strictly true. 

As they say......you can stick your stats up your arse.
  • Options
    BBC stats says that we had no shots on target.....but seeing as we had a goal disallowed then that is not strictly true. 

As they say......you can stick your stats up your arse.
    BBC stats seem correct to me.  If the ref blows for a foul and in frustration a player hammers the ball to an empty net, you aren't going to count that as a shot on target!
  • Options
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZAfJWNZQQE

Disallowed goal shown on these highlights.