Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton Athletic v Huddersfield Town | Tues 10 December | Post-match views

Comments

• Options
    We need players back and we will improve, for the first 60 minutes we were second best and Dillon made a few saves. Only when we had two upfront and we turned them around a bit did we get any momentum. 
  • Options
    Awful game to watch. Two very average sides out there tonight.
  • Options
    On the plus side Gallagher put in a proper shift and I thought Lockyer made some proper challenges.
  • Options
    Injuries are undoubtedly playing a massive part - no one can argue that we wouldn't be a better team with a fit Cullen, Taylor, Williams, Field etc etc. However, the players on duty really aren't making it easy for themselves.

Because we are creating so little the pressure is on the defence to keep a clean sheet. Solly's clearance that led to the goal was similar to Sarr's at Luton - a panic like aimless pass. However, I cannot believe how many times this season I've seen us retreat into our own box with not one player picking up the opposition runner.

It happened yet again tonight with six of our players (not including Phillips) in and around the 6 yard box and another two just outside the penalty area. But no one bothered to pick up the scorer, Daly, who was one of only three of their players in the area. Pratley actually tracks Daly back but switches off, is caught in no man's land and allows him enough space to pick his spot when the ball is pulled back. That simply isn't good enough.

• Options
    Shite sides not average 
  • Options
    So glad I gave to the food bank
    Made the trip to the valley worthwhile 
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:
    IT_Andy said:
    Very poor first half probably the worst for a long time. Weather played a part but the team formation looks wrong. I thought a higher defensive line was needed because we have no midfield and couldn't keep the the ball.

Despite all his qualities as warrior, skipper and organiser, it's Pearce's lack of pace that lets him down.
    Consequently the defence invariably plays deeper with Pearce in the back line.

Deeper backline usually means the midfield gets stretched too thinly and loses connection with the front 2. It's not such an issue when the 1st choice midfield is able to play, because better quality and experience can often compensate and close down the holes in midfield.

However, It makes Bowyer's preferred pressing game very physically demanding of midfield, especially to be maintained over 90+ minutes.

Right now, expecting a veteran 34 year old and a bunch of 19 year olds to compete against experienced Champ players is asking too much. My thoughts are he needs to play a higher defensive line and compact the midfield, especially if we are to continue to play a short passing game.

And maybe in January we need to be looking to sign a pacier CB.

Excellent post.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Cold weather front sweeping in from Europe. Low barometric pressure. Wet. Windy.

We're in trouble despite the seasonal conditions. Not sure what more the team could have done...they ran around, tried, challenged. There were some misplaced passes etc but we didn't manage - as far as I could tell - an attempt on goal until the second half.

Relegation a definite possibility because of this run. And don't most owners want to start with a new shiny manager?
  • Options
    john3 said:
    john3 said:
      That was awful tonight,absolute trash.
       I dont know why Doughty was subbed for Vennings who no disrespect but looks totally out of his depth;I think Oshilaja or Morgan would have been far more positive. Taylor should have been put on 10 minutes earlier,we needed him so much and he gave the place and the team a huge lift when he came on.
       As much as I love Solly,I really think that he shouldnt start;I would have put Oshilaja at Right back.
      dont know what has happened to players like Gallagher and Pratley,playing well below their capability.
      No creativity in the centre of the park,we badly miss Josh Cullen so if there is any cash in January then thats a MINIMUM REQUIREMENT to find a replacement for him if there is anyone???
       Also the amount of space their players had to run into in the final third was frightening.
      Something doesnt seem right at the moment and I hope Bowyer and Jacko can come up with some solutions as we just dont look like the team that started this season and will end up in a horrible relegation fight if there are not some significant changes.  Gutted.

That's because it's not.
         Pratley,Sarr,Gallagher,Pearce,Purrington,Bonne,Solly,Phillips,Lockyer,Leko??????

Just adding Taylor, Cullen and Williams would transform that lot. Three vital players the side was built around early on. Retaining possession to create chances and ease pressure on the back four.
  • Options
    Since Williams injury we havent won a game, this guy is vital to our success
  • Options
    Good sensible post, Cabbles. 
  • Options
    edited December 2019
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    This will be long & rambling as I have so much bile to spew.......

First I will say that Bowyer does not deserve the sack nor am I advocating it......but Jeez he needs to take a long look at himself & the players he picks as that starting 11 had defeat written all over it.

I've said it many times on here that if you are going to play 5 at the back then your wingbacks have to be fast & attacking. Solly & Purrington are neither. On the right should be Matthews or Oshilaja & on the left Doughty (until the Jan transfer window opens & a proper wingback can be bought or borrowed).

The midfield needs a playmaker and/or someone who can run with the ball. Without Williams we are bereft of pace. Oztumer can do a job there but isn't really the answer. Leko could possibly but tonight his touch was abysmal. At one point this evening in the 2nd half he got given the ball with no one around him. His first touch took the ball 5 yards away from him & by the time he caught up with it there was a defender taking it off him. So so poor. With no one wanting to run at defenders, and your wing backs consistently passing backwards means you ain't going anywhere. Tonight I would have gone long ball. Bypass the midfield, put 3 up front & just hoof it forward. Let Bonne, Taylor & Leko fight it out with Gallagher, Morgan (remember him) & Oshilaja waiting to pick up the pieces.....and then tell the fuckers to shoot. If I was one of the new owners I would ban Expected Goals being discussed by any of the coaching staff. Just get the ball forward & shoot on sight. Now is not the time to play pretty football.....especially not in that weather tonight. 

However, I dont see much changing between now & January. Football managers are a stubborn lot (remember Gobbinson and his no plan b) & I expect Bowyer to just keep plodding on expecting a miracle to happen. Williams should be back soon but I dont expect Cullen will be playing regularly until the end of Jan.....if he hasnt already been recalled by West Ham by then. Unfortunately that's about all of the injured players that would make the starting 11. You can add in Aneke, Field & JFC to the bench but Kayal & Hemed are a waste of space and wages.

So, unless Bowyer has an epiphany expect the same old same old on Friday.....and at QPR....and against Bristol City, Swansea & Derby. Then the transfer window opens & the fun begins..........

Ps. If you thought the last month was bad dont look at January's fixtures. We have just played 3 of the bottom 6 & lost to all 3......scoring once in the process. In January we play most of the top 6. We have lost 5 out of our last 6 games & now no win in 9. As we are in election week I thought I would end on the immortal words of Jim Callaghan. Crisis.....what crisis..??

PPS. Golfie Jnr was ranting towards the end about how poor we had been & why couldn't we score just 1 goal & take all 3 points. Surely we can beat Huddersfield, who were probably the worst team we've seen all season (even worse than Stoke). I kept saying to him to be happy with a point as I've seen it all before & knew the sucker punch was coming. The only saving grace was that isnt wasnt Grant with their winner. The fact that Millwall won (again) just about capped off a really shit evening. Rowett's team unbeaten in 6. Who would have thought a change of manager could have such an impact.....
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    We just don't have the quality in the squad and now we've been missing our players with quality, it's showing big time. Are we really just a 3 or 4 man squad? And the rest just are not up to this level? Cullen, Williams, Taylor. Is that it? Have we just been putting so much on their load that they've taken the injuries? I've got no idea but I'm trying to get my head around what has gone on over the past few games. What a transformation from earlier in the season. Back then it wasn't just about the results but the performances as well were very good. But now it's totally the opposite. Our creativity has 100% gone and it's rubbing off all over the pitch.

We're on a free fall. I believe earlier in the season we flattered to deceive a bit with the results but our performances were good. But now the performances have deserted us. I can't remember looking as bad as this for a while. 

I'm hoping Bowyer can slowly turn it around as players start coming back but it just seems to be an uphill slog. Is it finally catching up with us? Because of the threadbare resources, is Bowyer's  magic starting to take its toll? He seems to have been cajoling them for ever now, including last season. Have they reached their limit? Is that the reason for the injuries? It's all taking it's toll?

I hope not. I hope we get our players back and they can stay healthy and we can start playing again. But, I don't know. Certainly a challenge for Bowyer and his team.

I just hope the new owners are patient and give Lee Bowyer the resources he needs. I believe he's the future of Charlton. This is a difficult spell to handle though, what with the owner changes as well. Hopefully they can see that Bowyer has done miracles but things have to give sometimes and maybe that's what's happening now.  
  • Options
    Cabbles has hit the nail on the head here. If you read one post on this thread, it’s that one.
  • Options
    Chris Solly Mr Reliable of all people.
    No one took any credit from the game......but Leko, give your weeks wages to The Upbeats fella.
    What worries me is that I hear the new owners are keen to sign up Leko. I don’t get it or see what they see in him.
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    Same old Charlton - always falling short in the vital ‘6-pointer’ games. 
  • Options
    LoOkOuT said:
    One thing I'm sure of, things won't continue like this. We will get better.
    Well we can't get much worse.

1 win in 12.
    Without a win or clean sheet in 9.
    2 points from 27.

About the only consolations we can take right now is that: 
    a) players will come back
    b) we aren't getting smashed out of sight. We're still in every game late on.
  • Options
    Having had a good nights sleep to calm down and provide some well thought out comments I have decided to wait until after I have finished work and hopefully forgotten last nights shocker.
  • Options
    This will be long & rambling as I have so much bile to spew.......

First I will say that Bowyer does not deserve the sack nor am I advocating it......but Jeez he needs to take a long look at himself & the players he picks as that starting 11 had defeat written all over it.

I've said it many times on here that if you are going to play 5 at the back then your wingbacks have to be fast & attacking. Solly & Purrington are neither. On the right should be Matthews or Oshilaja & on the left Doughty (until the Jan transfer window opens & a proper wingback can be bought or borrowed).

The midfield needs a playmaker and/or someone who can run with the ball. Without Williams we are bereft of pace. Oztumer can do a job there but isn't really the answer. Leko could possibly but tonight his touch was abysmal. At one point this evening in the 2nd half he got given the ball with no one around him. His first touch took the ball 5 yards away from him & by the time he caught up with it there was a defender taking it off him. So so poor. With no one wanting to run at defenders, and your wing backs consistently passing backwards means you ain't going anywhere. Tonight I would have gone long ball. Bypass the midfield, put 3 up front & just hoof it forward. Let Bonne, Taylor & Leko fight it out with Gallagher, Morgan (remember him) & Oshilaja waiting to pick up the pieces.....and then tell the fuckers to shoot. If I was one of the new owners I would ban Expected Goals being discussed by any of the coaching staff. Just get the ball forward & shoot on sight. Now is not the time to play pretty football.....especially not in that weather tonight. 

However, I dont see much changing between now & January. Football managers are a stubborn lot (remember Gobbinson and his no plan b) & I expect Bowyer to just keep plodding on expecting a miracle to happen. Williams should be back soon but I dont expect Cullen will be playing regularly until the end of Jan.....if he hasnt already been recalled by West Ham by then. Unfortunately that's about all of the injured players that would make the starting 11. You can add in Aneke, Field & JFC to the bench but Kayal & Hemed are a waste of space and wages.

So, unless Bowyer has an epiphany expect the same old same old on Friday.....and at QPR....and against Bristol City, Swansea & Derby. Then the transfer window opens & the fun begins..........

Ps. If you thought the last month was bad dont look at January's fixtures. We have just played 3 of the bottom 6 & lost to all 3......scoring once in the process. In January we play most of the top 6. We have lost 5 out of our last 6 games & now no win in 9. As we are in election week I thought I would end on the immortal words of Jim Callaghan. Crisis.....what crisis..??

PPS. Golfie Jnr was ranting towards the end about how poor we had been & why couldn't we score just 1 goal & take all 3 points. Surely we can beat Huddersfield, who were probably the worst team we've seen all season (even worse than Stoke). I kept saying to him to be happy with a point as I've seen it all before & knew the sucker punch was coming. The only saving grace was that isnt wasnt Grant with their winner. The fact that Millwall won (again) just about capped off a really shit evening. Rowett's team unbeaten in 6. Who would have thought a change of manager could have such an impact.....
    But when we had a full strength side we beat Leeds and drew away at West Brom and Fulham. The current top 3.
  • Options
    We're fielding a team of journeymen at present who are out of their depth at this level - the lack of creativity is startling. The perseverance with wing backs simply isn't working.

We have a lot of injured players but I'm not clear which of them can lift us from this depressing run.
    The team looks very disjointed.

Phillips is our only outstanding player at present even if his distribution isn't great.