Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

2019 General Election - Match Thread

edited December 2019 in Not Sports Related
Welcome from a cold and drizzly South London for today’s game, with politics making a fleeting return to the main forum.

Intriging fixture we have on our hands today. One team are unbeaten in the last three fixtures but through a series of poor managerial decisions are now led by who many opposition and fans alike perceive to be a buffoon.

Their opposition today are equally handicapped by a perceived disasterous managerial and key coaching team, with their manager holding the lowest approval rating for nearly 50 years.

Fair to say today’s clash sees two giants well below their hayday best. A 2019 Man U v Arsenal.

This Thread however is not for discussing the rights or wrongs of either team or their manager, what you want or what you despise. That’s for the House of Commoners group.

This thread is for predictions, news, insight into the undoubted twists and turns that will occur over the next 16 hours.

So strap in, contribute with consideration and let this thread accompany you through the night.

Remember - Our Exit Poll will open at 10pm

Comments

• Options
    Go on then I will go first.

I reckon it will be a Conservative win but without a majority so round and round we go again.
  • Options
    No comment
  • Options
    So betting firms have their mark at around Conservatives with a 16/17 majority, and the last major poll had a Conservative majority slightly above that.

Do you think that will prove accurate or will the big increase in tactical voting make a mockery of traditional polling?
  • Options
    I fear the tories will get a 15-20 seat overall majority - but I'm looking forward with hope to the Uxbridge and Esher & Walton declarations.
  • Options
    Will the weather have an effect on turnout? Just like Tuesday night when the miserable weather and unappealing teams on display reduced the numbers...
  • Options
    Will the weather have an effect on turnout? Just like Tuesday night when the miserable weather and unappealing teams on display reduced the numbers...
    More people at my polling station than I’ve ever seen before. 

Seems to be the same in many places. 
  • Options
    stonemuse said:
    More people at my polling station than I’ve ever seen before. 

Seems to be the same in many places. 
    Historically that would favour Labour - but we live in different times.
  • Options
    The polls have narrowed a lot, last week of the campaign has been bad for the Tories, the NHS issues get people thinking about what really matters
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    No comment.
  • Options
    Are they using VAR?
  • Options
    Some talk of students voting twice.

Not sure whether that is mischief making or genuine but a student registered at the family home and at an address in their university town could in theory do that. I'm not sure how they would be able to tell.
  • Options
    LenGlover said:
    Some talk of students voting twice.

Not sure whether that is mischief making or genuine but a student registered at the family home and at an address in their university town could in theory do that. I'm not sure how they would be able to tell.
    This shit comes out very election from roughly the same place on the tin foil hat right, like the people voting with pens at my local polling station. 
  • Options
    hung parliament with SNP calling the shots
  • Options
    Tactical Vote placed.
  • Options

I reckon it will be a Conservative win but without a majority so round and round we go again.
    I'm with Mike, will laugh my b@llocks off if it does happen.
    Looking forward to the first couple of results Sunderland and Newcastle If the conservatives win these tell the rest of the kingdom not to bother counting
  • Options
    Conservative win 15-20 seats
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Tactical Vote placed.
    My previous MP (Tory) is one of the rebels who never got back the whip and is now standing for the Lib Dems. Labour came a close'ish second last time around and if the previous MP takes some of the Tory votes then Labour could sneak in. So I can vote with head and heart on my way home tonight - no need for tactics.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    clb74 said:

I'm with Mike, will laugh my b@llocks off if it does happen.
    Looking forward to the first couple of results Sunderland and Newcastle If the conservatives win these tell the rest of the kingdom not to bother counting
    Sunderland 0 Conservative Party 1 (Priti Patel 48)

Newcastle United 2 Conservative Party 0 (Shelvey 32, Joelinton 85. Johnson red card 78)

• Options
    Bore draw. 
    Both defences on top. 
  • Options
    Never seen my polling station so busy either!
  • Options
    Hung parliament with Corbyn in number 10 due to coalition between Labour and SNP. Two referendums next year.

• Options
    Never seen my polling station so busy either!
    Just me and 1 other in mine at 8.50
  • Options
    reportedly a very large turnout .. as Brexit seems to be the major topic for consideration in this election (yes, NHS, austerity etc are all serious issues as well), will the turnout consist of mainly leavers, remainers, or a mix of both .. I suspect that if the large turnout is mainly boosted by young people, a Labour win or another hung parliament will be the result .. look forward to Diane Abbot as Home Secretary ((:>) ..   we will start to see after 22.00 hours
  • Options
    Never seen my polling station so busy either!!
    Huge queue at mine this morning.

I’ve used this day to exercise a big cull on Facebook, general elections are always good for that. I also implore anyone on twitter to keep an eye on the @dhotya feed, some absolute belters on there today  

• Options
    So betting firms have their mark at around Conservatives with a 16/17 majority, and the last major poll had a Conservative majority slightly above that.

Do you think that will prove accurate or will the big increase in tactical voting make a mockery of traditional polling?
    Christ, you're a brave man starting this thread. :-)
  • Options
    "A last minute goal in Esher and Walton! But to who, Chris Kamara?"
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!