Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

2019 General Election - Match Thread

Comments

• Options
    Stig said:
    Stig said:
    It was mention y'day (LBC) that the people manning the poll stations are not allowed to leave the building until polling finishes at 22.00.
    I had a chat to the staff at my 'station' this afternoon. They started at 6.30 and will be there all day. That is a LONG time. (They are allowed rest and meal periods)
     One lady told me that one major consideration when choosing polling stations, is adequate lavatory facilities for both sexes .. I didn't dare ask about Transgenders etc.
    I'm sure most will get breaks, I'm on one now, but to get the job you have to sign a paper waiving your rights to them. At ten o'clock you just can't walk out. You have to close down, tidy everything away, complete a quantity of paperwork and deliver the ballot box to the count centre.
    Interesting .. I presume you're on polling station 'duty' .. seems odd that you can't leave the building but can email/text/etc  .. IF the point is to prevent any detrimental info getting out (Can't think of another reason) then this defeats the object .. (If you're 'mailing' out on the QT, your secret is safe with me lol)
    The point isn't about letting information out, it's that you have to be on site to deal with any issues that may arise whilst ensuring that polling continues uninterrupted.  As for phones, where I work (not saying it's national) you only get the gig if you agree to use your private phone for work purposes.  They used to issue us with walkie talkies, but that was far less secure. 
    Stig said:
    Stig said:
    It was mention y'day (LBC) that the people manning the poll stations are not allowed to leave the building until polling finishes at 22.00.
    I had a chat to the staff at my 'station' this afternoon. They started at 6.30 and will be there all day. That is a LONG time. (They are allowed rest and meal periods)
     One lady told me that one major consideration when choosing polling stations, is adequate lavatory facilities for both sexes .. I didn't dare ask about Transgenders etc.
    I'm sure most will get breaks, I'm on one now, but to get the job you have to sign a paper waiving your rights to them. At ten o'clock you just can't walk out. You have to close down, tidy everything away, complete a quantity of paperwork and deliver the ballot box to the count centre.
    Interesting .. I presume you're on polling station 'duty' .. seems odd that you can't leave the building but can email/text/etc  .. IF the point is to prevent any detrimental info getting out (Can't think of another reason) then this defeats the object .. (If you're 'mailing' out on the QT, your secret is safe with me lol)
    The point isn't about letting information out, it's that you have to be on site to deal with any issues that may arise whilst ensuring that polling continues uninterrupted.  As for phones, where I work (not saying it's national) you only get the gig if you agree to use your private phone for work purposes.  They used to issue us with walkie talkies, but that was far less secure. 

thanks for the info Stig .. all good to know more about the systems .. still, earning a grand for a 16 hour day can't be bad ((:>) .. thanks for the effort 
  • Options
    My father used to regularly work at the polling stations, hence when I was young I had a lot of those stubby pencils to draw with  :)
    At the age of 8/9 I used to run exit polls (who did you vote for?) to local Labour HQ. Loved being involved in something so important, if not understanding why.
  • Options
    Saw Boris could be in trouble in his own constituency.

Can't see it though, think he'll sneak through that and get a healthy majority. Teflon tw*t that he is. 
  • Options
    DOUCHER said:
    DOUCHER said:
    just want to see johnson the lying toff buffoon with egg on his face tomorrow - metaphorically and physically would be nice 
    This is explicitly not a thread for cheering one side or the other or spouting political views, but in the interest of balance:-

Just want to see Corbyn the lying Marxist buffoon with egg on his face tomorrow - metaphorically and physically would be nice 
    fine - he doesn't impress me a lot either although i like some of his ideas  - albeit the establishment would have him assassinated before he implimented them - bit of a play off betweeen who's lieutenant is more ridiculous as well - gove and abbot, christ the whole thing has become a  joke 
    DOUCHER said:
    DOUCHER said:
    just want to see johnson the lying toff buffoon with egg on his face tomorrow - metaphorically and physically would be nice 
    This is explicitly not a thread for cheering one side or the other or spouting political views, but in the interest of balance:-

Just want to see Corbyn the lying Marxist buffoon with egg on his face tomorrow - metaphorically and physically would be nice 
    fine - he doesn't impress me a lot either although i like some of his ideas  - albeit the establishment would have him assassinated before he implimented them - bit of a play off betweeen who's lieutenant is more ridiculous as well - gove and abbot, christ the whole thing has become a  joke 

this is a good post and sums up the flaw in the first past the post system .. all parties have good ideas that would work .. but of course the 'winners' ignore all ideas other than their own dogma .. a proportional system would go a long way to allow parties to compromise and work together with a different range of policies and ideas
  • Options
    Just been along to vote. Never seen it that busy at this time of day. 

Curbs 16/1
  • Options

Can't see it though, think he'll sneak through that and get a healthy majority. Teflon tw*t that he is. 

Yes he probably will - but Raaaaaaaab may be in trouble. Shame!
  • Options
    Has Nigel said which of his candidates will be PM if they're the biggest party yet?
  • Options
    Stig said:
    Stig said:
    My father borrowed my phone for one election as he didn't have one! 
  • Options

What happens if the Prime Minister or any Party Leader loses their constituency?
  • Options
    Feels like a generational battle between young (majority labour) and old (majority conservative). 

I wonder how the Conservatives will fare long-term when they've spent so long completely ignoring the young to focus on getting out their 'base' to the polls. 
    Trouble is, the young get old. "You grow up and you calm down," as Joe Strummer sang.

The cycle continues and the older, richer, less idealistic, more set in their ways, won't let go of their power. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

What happens if the Prime Minister or any Party Leader loses their constituency?

Assuming they are the winners then I believe the party very quickly have to select someone else to go and see Queenie.

• Options
    edited December 2019
    Had to have the ballot box in the open hatchback of my car once in Deptford, as the caretaker for the hall didn't turn up to let us in.

Took him 40 minutes before he turned up to open the hall - we'd had six people voting before we were ensconced in the hall and a total turnout of 11%. Mind you it was for the Lewisham Council election.
  • Options
    Until about ten years ago I’d avidly sit glued to the telly all night watching it all unfold. Now I couldn’t give a tuppeny toss.  I have cast my X as I believe you should. Unfortunately there wasn’t a “none of the above they are all tossers” box. 

Billy Connolly summed it up for me many years ago when he said “the desire to become a politician should automatically debar you from doing so”. 
  • Options
    bobmunro said:

Yes he probably will - but Raaaaaaaab may be in trouble. Shame!
    I think a few big names from all the parties will be struggling tonight
  • Options
    Also used to be a teller when younger and loved being involved. Voted today up here in Tory stronghold, hoping they lose, polling station busier than I've seen it before, but full of old crustys. Labour got my vote as lib dem support seems to have crashed here.
  • Options

the winners appoint a new leader and he/she meets queenie and says that they're able to form a government (I think it's that simple. We elect a party, not a person)
  • Options
    If Boris wins, I bet he's not PM this time next year.
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    Vote to the Conservatives from me.

All my money is on a labour win though unfortunately.
    Backed them for most seats, a majority win and a minority win, may as well win some money out of a shit situation! 

Polling station was very busy 
    I haven't spoken to anyone in the last few days who think Labour will win so I'm surprised by your thoughts.  In the nicest possible way, I hope you lose all your money ;)
    Just ain’t much support online for Tories.

i hope you’re right, this is a bet I’d be more than pleased to lose! 
  • Options
    Vote to the Conservatives from me.

All my money is on a labour win though unfortunately.
    Backed them for most seats, a majority win and a minority win, may as well win some money out of a shit situation! 

Polling station was very busy 
    Boss votes for the bosses party and fears a Labour success. No surprises there then.
    Unsure what you’re trying to insinuate but ok 
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    When I used to do the stations we were allowed out for a walk around, pop to the chippy etc. Depends on the presiding officer really but in stations with several people on each side of the hall, there is usually a chance to stretch your legs. Used to really enjoy it, met/saw some ‘interesting’ people from all walks of life.

I find the assumption that all youngsters vote Labour interesting. In some areas (London) maybe but I know plenty of youngster voting all across the spectrum.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    bobmunro said:

Assuming they are the winners then I believe the party very quickly have to select someone else to go and see Queenie.

Or possibly have him as leader anyway and get someone else in a very safe seat to step aside straight away (give them a seat in the Lords maybe?) for a bi-election? 
  • Options

the winners appoint a new leader and he/she meets queenie and says that they're able to form a government (I think it's that simple. We elect a party, not a person)
    So Gove or someone could have an awesome night here, go into the election as a member of a minority government, come out as a PM with a majority. 
  • Options
    I’ve been a poll clerk many a time. Usually we manage a little stroll to get fresh air. But yes a long day. Although sweetened by the pay for doing it.
  • Options
    Just a reminder, idea of this thread is not posts on who you voted for, so and so is a Marxist / buffoon etc.

The Exit Poll thread will open in 20 mins. It’s anon, but feel free to comment if you so wish
  • Options
    Until about ten years ago I’d avidly sit glued to the telly all night watching it all unfold. Now I couldn’t give a tuppeny toss.  I have cast my X as I believe you should. Unfortunately there wasn’t a “none of the above they are all tossers” box. 

Billy Connolly summed it up for me many years ago when he said “the desire to become a politician should automatically debar you from doing so”. 
    Plagiarism. Groucho.

I don’t care to belong to any club that will have me as a member.
  • Options
    bobmunro said:

Or possibly have him as leader anyway and get someone else in a very safe seat to step aside straight away (give them a seat in the Lords maybe?) for a bi-election? 
    There was talk about an MP in the Southwest who had been lined up to be kicked up to the Lords if Boris lost his seat
  • Options
    bobmunro said:

There was talk about an MP in the Southwest who had been lined up to be kicked up to the Lords if Boris lost his seat
    Ah there you go then. 
  • Options
    No queue at all for me when I voted. Mind you, I only went to the village postbox as I’m in sunny Philippines right now.
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    bobmunro said:

Thinking about it, our MP would be a good bet - late 70s, already a Sir, complete Tory yes man, 11k majority....

Dread the thought. 
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!