Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

2019 General Election - Match Thread

Comments

• Options

Apparently 8 in 10 British university lecturers are 'left-wing'. That's according to a survey done in the last couple of years. There's probably a lot more literature on this that can be found with a quick search on a reputable search engine.

I didn't realise this assertion was in any way contentious.

• Options
    It'll be because they're smarter ;-)
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    seth plum said:
    seth plum said:
    There is no evidence as to what wing University students in Canterbury occupy.
    Maybe it will emerge.
    I imagine Canterbury will undergo change because of the congestion to come on local roads due to the problems 'leave' causes at the ports.
    If road congestion were the main factor for voting Labour, then the whole of Kent would have turned red. The Universities at Canterbury are known as being left wing.
    'Known for'?
    Do they have a test or something when they select the students?

@seth plum read @cantersaddick 's post a couple of pages back - he was a student there and confirms the university pushed for students to vote Labour - this seems rather dodgy to me.
  • Options
    @Leuth Thanks for the reply. The point you touched upon about Labour having difficulty keeping two disperate Brexit groups happy whilst remaining true to itself was interesting and to me it's the key to any future success. Now that Brexit is going ahead can the party keep traditional Labour and metropolitan Labour supporters united under one banner or are the divisions too deep? Until that conundrum is solved it doesn't matter who leads and how policies are presented imho. 
  • Options
    @SantaClaus, did you get my letter about world peace and cock reduction vouchers?
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    seth plum said:
    For some people one of the positives is a feeling they can be more openly racist and foreigner hating so there is that.
    Keeping it bottled up must be so frustrating.
    oh, the irony
    What irony?
    Yes Henry, what irony? I assumed Seth was referring to Corbyn once he is eventually unfettered by his leadership position.
  • Options
    David Blunkett said -

1 No excuses & highly predictable.
    2 Corbyn should step down now.
    3 Get a leader in place who can relate back to the people we betrayed yesterday.
    4 If you can't do anything in parliament to deliver, it doesn't matter that you offer a great free for all.
    5 The neo Marxists thought that if you promise everybody everything they will fall for it.

Blunkett gets it, the moderate's get it.
    The Corbynistas still don't get it, but it's early days.
  • Options
    I just think, like Brexit, these voters have invested so much emotionally into this, the idea that it hasn't been pulled off reflects on them that their ideas might be wrong, and rather than accept they might be wrong, everyone else must be wrong. 

People can't ever accept they are wrong these days, especially when they emotionally (and with them, it is emotions because it certainly isn't facts and figures! What other voters does that remind us of) have invested to much. 
  • Options
    David Blunkett said -

3 Get a leader in place who can relate back to the people we betrayed yesterday.
    4 If you can't do anything in parliament to deliver, it doesn't matter that you offer a great free for all.
    5 The neo Marxists thought that if you promise everybody everything they will fall for it.

By the end of this term, as was pointed out last night, the ONLY Labour leader who's won an election in the last 50 years will be Tony Blair

But the left wing of the party won't take the lesson
  • Options
    Labour should keep the left wing policies but dump Momemtum and identity, student politics. That doesn't resonate with people
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Labour should keep the left wing policies but dump Momemtum and identity, student politics. That doesn't resonate with people
    Aren’t the left wing policies a result of Momentum?
  • Options
    Throw out the baby but keep the bathwater works for me.
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    seth plum said:
    There is no evidence as to what wing University students in Canterbury occupy.
    Maybe it will emerge.
    I imagine Canterbury will undergo change because of the congestion to come on local roads due to the problems 'leave' causes at the ports.
    If road congestion were the main factor for voting Labour, then the whole of Kent would have turned red. The Universities at Canterbury are known as being left wing.
    'Known for'?
    Do they have a test or something when they select the students?

@seth plum read @cantersaddick 's post a couple of pages back - he was a student there and confirms the university pushed for students to vote Labour - this seems rather dodgy to me.
    Seems rather dodgy is not saying that the university is well known for being left wing

It is a personal opinion not a fact

• Options
    What’s a left wing policy ? Support for equal rights, helping people in need ? 
  • Options
    Missed It said:
    David Blunkett said -

By the end of this term, as was pointed out last night, the ONLY Labour leader who's won an election in the last 50 years will be Tony Blair

But the left wing of the party won't take the lesson
    It astonishes me that the Labour party don't grasp the fact that it's not left or right that wins elections.  It's the people in the middle who change their minds each election.  England has always been conservative, with a small 'c'.  The only way to get their votes is to appeal from the moderate centre ground.  Labour and the Momentum activists who've kidnapped the party have pitched their tent so far to the left, people in the centre can't even see it in the distance.

As things stand, the Labour party will have to be destroyed before any effective moderate left of centre party can make progress in the polls.  Even though this election was an absolute kicking for them, they will persist in their deluded view that all they need to do is get their message across for people to support them. People are very well aware of their message and they ain't buying it.  I'm not sure they've ever bought it.  In the 120 years of its existence the Labour party has only ever been in power for little more than 30 years.
    The biggest problem parties have is that their membership tend to be far more extreme than the general public. And by giving them the final say as to who becomes leader, it massively disadvantages moderates (this applies to both Labour and the Tories)

MPs choose a leader who will win elections, members pick the leader who's they agree with most, hence the next Labour leader will almost certainly be on the left again.

Whether Boris is as right wing as many of the things he's said in the last year is debatable, we'll now find out what he really thinks, now he has a big enough majority not to have to worry about either wing of his party.
  • Options
    Christ, I hope the argue from the left isn't, it was the man not his policies. You might have got a marginally less painful result with Angela Rayner or Rebecca Long Bailey as leader, but if the policies aren't believable, you won't have a chance of selling them. 

Labour wins when it is pitched on the centre-left, not from the left hoping the voters will move to left.  
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    seth plum said:
    For some people one of the positives is a feeling they can be more openly racist and foreigner hating so there is that.
    Keeping it bottled up must be so frustrating.
    oh, the irony
    What irony?
    Yes Henry, what irony? I assumed Seth was referring to Corbyn once he is eventually unfettered by his leadership positition

The irony of repeatedly defending racists and playing down or dismissing their racism but then berating other racist.
  • Options
    wmcf123 said:
    Public ownership and higher taxation across the board is generally left wing.
  • Options
    Trouble is with the left is they still haven’t learned from the last few defeats.

Brexit, Trump and now this GE is a sign people fed up of the left carrying on with the ‘your racist’ argument Cos people have opposing political views, the sensationalism and faux outrage on the left about absolutely fucking everything pushes people to the alternative options, the hounding and the aggressive ‘debating/challenges’ with no let up and mob rule still continues amongst them. 

They have not learned, they’re not as progressive as they think. And until they actual engage in proper debate and understand just Cos you have different political opinions doesn’t mean you want all the poor to die and the foreigners to hang then they will not be successful. 
    Brilliant post. Spot on 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited December 2019
    72.6% Blue in my constituency - Rayleigh and Wickford

Anywhere else in the country more one sided?
    84.7% red in Liverpool Walton & 80.8% red in Knowsley.
  • Options
    Alan Johnson - "Corbyn was a disaster on the door steps. Everyone knew he couldn't lead the working class out of a paper bag".
  • Options
    wmcf123 said:
    How about anti-business policies (I.e. clubbing the golden goose who you expect to pay for all your freebies), needless nationalisation of industries with little apparent benefit because of political dogma, almost demonising anyone in the top 5% of earners etc. 

No one disagrees about the need to help out people in need, supporting the NHS, etc. They may disagree on the numbers and how you fund it.

And then to top that off you have a “leader” ( yeah right) who showed zero leadership in convincingly stamping out anti-semitism, and whose stance on Brexit in this election (“I will be an honest broker” and “I don’t know who will campaign in favour of any deal we negotiate with the EU in a referendum”) absolutely beggars belief.

• Options
    Trouble is with the left is they still haven’t learned from the last few defeats.

Brexit, Trump and now this GE is a sign people fed up of the left carrying on with the ‘your racist’ argument Cos people have opposing political views, the sensationalism and faux outrage on the left about absolutely fucking everything pushes people to the alternative options, the hounding and the aggressive ‘debating/challenges’ with no let up and mob rule still continues amongst them. 

They have not learned, they’re not as progressive as they think. And until they actual engage in proper debate and understand just Cos you have different political opinions doesn’t mean you want all the poor to die and the foreigners to hang then they will not be successful. 
    Brilliant post. Spot on 

No he's not spot on at all. Tories weren't interested in any sort of debate this election at all. I'd happily debate with someone as to why I don't believe the NHS should be sold off to American capitalists and why I believe that people with more money need to pay more into society in order to make it fairer for everyone. Brexit, Trump and this GE is a sign that people believe meaningless slogans. I will cede that people are unhappy with the current establishment, and these elections have been anti-establishment. They won't do anything other than make your life worse unless you have a shit ton of money.

Who do you think is more on your side, a man who has been fighting injustice his whole life, or a born to rule Bullingdon club member who can tell you how much champagne costs but not bread?
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    Throw out the baby but keep the bathwater works for me.

Absolutely not - the reason I am a Labour member is down to left wing economic policy decisions

• Options
    wmcf123 said:
    To get down the wing and put some decent balls in to the box. 
  • Options
    wmcf123 said:
    How about anti-business policies (I.e. clubbing the golden goose who you expect to pay for all your freebies), needless nationalisation of industries with little apparent benefit because of political dogma, almost demonising anyone in the top 5% of earners etc. 

No one disagrees about the need to help out people in need, supporting the NHS, etc. They may disagree on the numbers and how you fund it.

And then to top that off you have a “leader” ( yeah right) who showed zero leadership in convincingly stamping out anti-semitism, and whose stance on Brexit in this election (“I will be an honest broker” and “I don’t know who will campaign in favour of any deal we negotiate with the EU in a referendum”) absolutely beggars belief.

Few questions Robin, 

"Freebies" - Please expand.
    Needless nationalisation - surely you are not happy with the way the railways are being run, the subsidy the tax payer pays in and and where the "profits" are going?
    How you fund it - how are the Tories going to fund their promises?

Last paragraph - no issue with that.   
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!