Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

2019 General Election - Match Thread

Comments

• Options
    To make you chuckle, this is from a friend who was working at a polling station yesterday:  "I had one 'choice' individual who bounced in and said, I've never voted before, but I love Boris, he's so funny, he's great, I love him, she went in the booth and came out and said, why is his name not on the paper? Say no more, all the polling staff were struggling not to give her a lecture in how it works."
    Uncorroborated anecdotes belittling people that voted for Boris. This is the sort of arrogance shown by your average Corbinista. No wonder they got such a spanking.
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    seth plum said:
    For some people one of the positives is a feeling they can be more openly racist and foreigner hating so there is that.
    Keeping it bottled up must be so frustrating.
    oh, the irony
    What irony?
    Yes Henry, what irony? I assumed Seth was referring to Corbyn once he is eventually unfettered by his leadership positition

The irony of repeatedly defending racists and playing down or dismissing their racism but then berating other racist.
    Give examples of me repeatedly defending racists and playing down or dismissing their racism.
    You can't because that is not the thing I do.

• Options
    To make you chuckle, this is from a friend who was working at a polling station yesterday:  "I had one 'choice' individual who bounced in and said, I've never voted before, but I love Boris, he's so funny, he's great, I love him, she went in the booth and came out and said, why is his name not on the paper? Say no more, all the polling staff were struggling not to give her a lecture in how it works."
    Uncorroborated anecdotes belittling people that voted for Boris. This is the sort of arrogance shown by your average Corbinista. No wonder they got such a spanking.
    I've heard so many times from old people that I'm only voting Corbyn cos I'm under 30. Sort of arrogance shown by your average Tory 
  • Options
    I've heard so many times from old people that I'm only voting Corbyn cos I'm under 30. Sort of arrogance shown by your average Tory 
    It is a fact that more younger people vote Labour and more older vote Tory. 
  • Options
    Them young folks weren't there for the 1970s like the old 'uns. 

It's an old joke but it bears repeating.  If you don't vote Labour when you're young, you've got no heart.  If you don't vote Tory when you're older, you've got no brain.
  • Options
    Missed It said:

It's an old joke but it bears repeating.  If you don't vote Labour when you're young, you've got no heart.  If you don't vote Tory when you're older, you've got no brain.

Oi! You calling lefties stupid?

How dare you! What happened to the one nation Tories bringing the country together with some kinder politics?

:-)
  • Options
    Missed It said:

Oi! You calling lefties stupid?

How dare you! What happened to the one nation Tories bringing the country together with some kinder politics?

:-)
     Idealism gives way to realism in time.
  • Options
    wmcf123 said:
    Labour should keep the left wing policies but dump Momemtum and identity, student politics. That doesn't resonate with people
    What’s a left wing policy ? Support for equal rights, helping people in need ? 
    How about anti-business policies (I.e. clubbing the golden goose who you expect to pay for all your freebies), needless nationalisation of industries with little apparent benefit because of political dogma, almost demonising anyone in the top 5% of earners etc. 

No one disagrees about the need to help out people in need, supporting the NHS, etc. They may disagree on the numbers and how you fund it.

And then to top that off you have a “leader” ( yeah right) who showed zero leadership in convincingly stamping out anti-semitism, and whose stance on Brexit in this election (“I will be an honest broker” and “I don’t know who will campaign in favour of any deal we negotiate with the EU in a referendum”) absolutely beggars belief.

Few questions Robin, 

"Freebies" - Please expand.
    Needless nationalisation - surely you are not happy with the way the railways are being run, the subsidy the tax payer pays in and and where the "profits" are going?
    How you fund it - how are the Tories going to fund their promises?

Last paragraph - no issue with that.   
    Freebies - actually meant to say excessive spending policies (incl. nationalisation plans) which land us in hock and which then a future Tory government would have to sort out after them. And so the cycle repeats.

Nationalisation - I have a real problem with what Labour were proposing.  A government can regulate key industries on things like energy costs, rail fares without a need to nationalise them. If previous regulation hasn’t worked come up with better regulations - you don’t need to nationalise. And are postage costs so high that Royal Mail needs to be included? Concentrate on the NHS, social care, education, fuel poverty can be addressed in other ways.

Last paragraph - glad you agree.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I have never voted Tory in my life. 
    But listening to the amount of shit posed on here today by sad remoaners I'm glad the Tories have smashed it.
  • Options
    One way of looking at an election and getting satisfaction from the result is to celebrate how the hurt the losers are.
    It is a common trait.
  • Options
    Anything that divides people into two teams will result in celebration at the losers hurt. That's tribalism.
  • Options
    Probably not a good idea to follow football then @aliwibble :D 
  • Options
    Charlton are playing tonight chaps 
  • Options
    Yeah, but until a minute ago the match thread hadn't gone up...
  • Options
    Labour should keep the left wing policies but dump Momemtum and identity, student politics. That doesn't resonate with people
    What do you mean exactly by 'dump...identity...politics'? 
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    What do you mean exactly by 'dump...identity...politics'? 
    What we mean is stop behaving as if racial, sexual differences etc are more important than that we are all humans facing the same challenges in life, in other words fuck identity politics
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    wmcf123 said:
    Public ownership and higher taxation across the board is generally left wing.
    Ah - economically left wing .  I don’t believe in taxing the hell out of small business and middle income earners but I do believe the highest earners should pay more.  So am I right wing ? I think these terms are reductive and have been hijacked  
  • Options
    wmcf123 said:
    wmcf123 said:
    Public ownership and higher taxation across the board is generally left wing.
    Ah - economically left wing .  I don’t believe in taxing the hell out of small business and middle income earners but I do believe the highest earners should pay more.  So am I right wing ? I think these terms are reductive and have been hijacked  
    The highest earners do pay more don’t they? Always have done and always will 
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    Momentum ruined the Labour Party Alan Johnson nailed it

best thing is momentumites won’t accept it won’t believe it and for the torries that could mean 15 yrs of reign 

get Brexit done over cancel Brexit all over winning all ways up 
  • Options
    Mainstream media (owned by billionaires) won out again. 

The establishment always wins. 

Run a smear campaign against both Ed Milliband and Corbyn. Doesn't matter the leader, labour don't have a chance. 
    I mean it's not the only reason it happened but it is without a doubt part of it. I'm still a little bemused how Sky News were able to splash "THE BREXIT ELECTION" all over their screen on Thursday given the strict rules regarding election day rules. In reality though traditional media is just a small fight for modern day elections/votes. These things are now won on social media and the information and more prominently disinformation is spread on them. I've no idea what the solution is but maybe Labour if they have any hope at all in getting power back in the future then perhaps dirty tactics are needed rather than just moaning about the other side doing it. I mean if there are literally no repercussions then it's fair game, we live in a time where facts don't matter anymore. 
  • Options
    Of course, it can't be Labour's poor leadership, far from credible manifesto (plus the extra incredible costs promised for the Waspi women) or their ridiculous non-position over Brexit that caused the Tory landslide. It has to be the Tory press or dirty tricks on social media. Get real. 
    That aimed at me? Because I said it was just one of the reasons. There can be many causes for a consequence and correct me if I'm wrong but what party do most of the big media outlets align to? It's not the only reason the vote went the way it did, far from it but to deny it is a factor is very odd.
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!