Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton Athletic v West Brom | FA Cup R3 | Sun 5 January | Post-match thread

Comments

• Options
    It’s a shame that after the takeover was finalised the new owners couldn’t be greeted by a bigger crowd, albeit a cup game. 

onto the game Solly, was awful one point lost out to their player despite a ten metre start. Odoh nowhere near good enough. 
    Thought Henry looked ok one great cross before he was taken off. 

Surprised to see Hemed and Williams on the bench and have to question why if they were fit enough today why they weren’t fit enough to be on the bench Thursday. 

I’d imagine because Thursdays game was always going to be a lot more competitive today, and therefore more chance of injury. Today was a more relaxed introduction into play outside of training. Works well in my opinion.  
    Nor were they back in training

It was only post Swansea that Bowyer said that they'd be rejoining training (along with Aneke)
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    How did Hemed, Williams and our new signing Green play? Did they do alright?
    Hemed; Didnt get much service so pretty ineffective

Green; Needs to pass a little better but a threat

Williams; eased his way back, showed glimpses
    Thanks mate.
    Does Hemed look like a player he could do things when we have key players back?
    Glad that I heard Williams left the pitch with no limps which is excellent news.
    Good to hear also that Green sounds like a threat, hopefully the next couple games he will ease in properly and show us why we have signed him.
    I'm just so happy with how the kids have played recently. We just haven't been battered and they have fought and battled every single minute they have all played.
  • Options
    edited January 2020

Thanks mate.
    Glad that I heard Williams left the pitch with no limps which is excellent news.
    Good to hear also that Green sounds like a threat, hopefully the next couple games he will ease in properly and show us why we have signed him.
    I'm just so happy with how the kids have played recently. We just haven't been battered and they have fought and battled every single minute they have all played.
    Hemed had one chance at the death, proper snapshot out of nothing which just narrowly went over - Hopefully he's been managed a lot better after having a poor pre-season so can involved properly now
  • Options
    So much for all the conspiracy theorists and the "divided fanbase" then...

We’re in the poo imo
  • Options
    It’s a shame that after the takeover was finalised the new owners couldn’t be greeted by a bigger crowd, albeit a cup game. 

onto the game Solly, was awful one point lost out to their player despite a ten metre start. Odoh nowhere near good enough. 
    Thought Henry looked ok one great cross before he was taken off. 

Surprised to see Hemed and Williams on the bench and have to question why if they were fit enough today why they weren’t fit enough to be on the bench Thursday. 

I’d imagine because Thursdays game was always going to be a lot more competitive today, and therefore more chance of injury. Today was a more relaxed introduction into play outside of training. Works well in my opinion.  
    Nor were they back in training

It was only post Swansea that Bowyer said that they'd be rejoining training (along with Aneke).
    if they weren’t back in training then are deemed fit to play after a maximum of two training sessions not surprised we are getting some of these injuries. No physio but recall this being a major issue in the past when rushing players back. 

This aside glad to have them both back, hopefully Cullen isn’t far away either. 
  • Options
    Green looked okay and thought Sarr/Oshilaja had decent games. We were not really in the game but weren't disgraced.

Odoh was shocking - far too small and lightweight to play at this level. No idea why he was left on?

Solly had a poor game.

Most of our players worked hard but nobody stood out. 
  • Options
    We know 2/3 weeks means a month. That is awful news as our points picked up coincided with Lyle's return. This season is a huge learning curve.
  • Options
    We were never going to win the Cup anyway...

We did better than I expected but it could easily have been 0-3 or 1-3. Thought the youngsters did alright and a couple are definitely coming on. Hope Morgan is ok - he limped off.

We will field a stronger eleven next week but so will they. Goalscoring is going to be a big problem unless we bring someone in this month. On the basis that we can't rely on Taylor or Bonne, that has to be the priority. Would love to see someone like Charlie Austin. Not one for the future but someone who would knock in six or seven goals and maybe offer something extra for Bonne or Taylor (if he stays).
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    What was the formation and who played where? Sky Sports app put up a ridiculous 4-4-2 with Green and Solly as our centre backs.
    Blimey, no wonder Chris Solly got 2 + 3's on the old scoreboard !
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    se9addick said:
    Liverpool have also pretty much fielded a team of kids and reserves, so we’re in good company!

Are clubs allowed to just choose to withdraw from the FA Cup if they wish? We can’t be that far off that happening more frequently if so. 
    I remember United doing it when they played in the Club World Cup in late 99. It is disrespectful and I don’t see the point. It’s better to give minutes to reserves and youngsters. For mid table prem clubs it’s still a chance of Wembley and Europe. Also, despite fixture congestion you still see teams like United and Spurs didn’t want to go out. 
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    Valley11 said:

We’re in the poo imo
    We have 1 more league game this month. By the time we play Barnsley on 1st February we could have a few new signings and various players back from injury including Taylor, Williams, Cullen and Hemed.
    Not expecting much from Hemed.
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    Valley11 said:

We’re in the poo imo
    We have 1 more league game this month. By the time we play Barnsley on 1st February we could have a few new signings and various players back from injury including Taylor, Williams, Cullen and Hemed.
    Two more
  • Options

Thanks mate.
    Hemed had one chance at the death, proper snapshot out of nothing which just narrowly went over - Hopefully he's been managed a lot better after having a poor pre-season so can involved properly now
    I think beyond doubt that Hemed has technical ability, certainly enough to be a decent Championship player. The concern is by the time he gets up to speed it’s already going to be March. 
  • Options
    Having watched the stream, it's really hard to judge individual performances when compared to being there as you don't see the bigger picture
  • Options

Thanks mate.
    I think beyond doubt that Hemed has technical ability, certainly enough to be a decent Championship player. The concern is by the time he gets up to speed it’s already going to be March. 
    Hemed is a finisher, a poacher of a Striker

It worked for Brighton when he got them into the Premier League, just need our midfielders to provide him with the right service
    Agreed, but that’s the concern. Getting used to our style, movement etc all takes time. It’s January so he hasn’t got that on his side now. 
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    Scoham said:
    Valley11 said:

We’re in the poo imo
    Two more

Looks like 3 to me.

• Options
    Having watched the stream, it's really hard to judge individual performances when compared to being there as you don't see the bigger picture
    Though you get replays and see things you may have missed otherwise. Swings and roundabouts really. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    There wasn't much of a bigger picture. The team was unlikely to gel given the lack of experience and the fact that the players had barely played together before.

The players worked hard and kept in the game but there was a gulf in class. 
  • Options

Thanks mate.

It worked for Brighton when he got them into the Premier League, just need our midfielders to provide him with the right service
    Agreed, but that’s the concern. Getting used to our style, movement etc all takes time. It’s January so he hasn’t got that on his side now. 
    Yeah I agree in that sense

Hemed to me looks the sort of player who needs it to his feet in the box, his heading doesnt look brilliant

We're a team that cross it high into the box

Hence why I think he's struggled when he has played
  • Options

Thanks mate.

Hemed to me looks the sort of player who needs it to his feet in the box, his heading doesnt look brilliant

I've never seen him win a header.
  • Options

Thanks mate.

I've never seen him win a header.
    Yeaa I was trying to be polite about that aspect of his game
  • Options

Thanks mate.

Yeah with a run of games that should improve. Williams won’t launch it his head that’s for sure. Either way we need him to stay fit and give us an option at the very least. 
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    Valley11 said:

We’re in the poo imo
    Two more

Looks like 3 to me.

Fulham is off because if the cup I think.
    Anyway, February is the key month where we play 4 of the bottom clubs. If we win those 4 games we will stay up. If we do not....
  • Options
    There wasn't much of a bigger picture. The team was unlikely to gel given the lack of experience and the fact that the players had barely played together before.

The players worked hard and kept in the game but there was a gulf in class. 
    But watching live you see much more of the general movement, the covering defensive runs, the runs to create space. It's especially hard when many of the players are unfamiliar and thus harder to spot - Odoh stands out with his hair, whereas Vennings and Henry don't
    Couldnt tell Vennings or Henry apart on the Stream
  • Options
    I think Odoh's debut today has to rank as one of the worst displays I've seen. The game largely bypassed him and he looks far too small to be playing at this level. He might be great at youth level but today he was ineffectual and I have no idea why he was left on.
  • Options
    I think Odoh's debut today has to rank as one of the worst displays I've seen. The game largely bypassed him and he looks far too small to be playing at this level. He might be great at youth level but today he was ineffectual and I have no idea why he was left on.
    Wonder if he'd have come off for Williams

Wiredu had gone down injured plus had been booked