Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton Athletic v West Brom | FA Cup R3 | Sun 5 January | Post-match thread

Comments

• Options
    Scoham said:
    Valley11 said:
    So much for all the conspiracy theorists and the "divided fanbase" then...

We’re in the poo imo
    We have 1 more league game this month. By the time we play Barnsley on 1st February we could have a few new signings and various players back from injury including Taylor, Williams, Cullen and Hemed.
    Two more

Looks like 3 to me.

Fulham game is off due to FA Cup 4th round.
  • Options
    Rossman92 said:
    Had a weird last 10 minutes where I wanted us to score but didnt want to go to a replay. Davison unlucky not to score after he really grew into the game. 

Palace also lost to Derby at home so only Millwall has a shot of being the only other South London club to win the FA Cup this year 
    Yep, I would've been happy if that one of Davison's that hit the bar had gone in (because it would have been good for him after all his hard work in the last couple of games) but then Charlie Austin had scored stright from the kick off. Would've been a fair result, but still a bit of a confidence boost.
  • Options
    mendonca said:
    Oshiilaja is physically stronger than some of our other players. I would like to see him at CB or RB regularly. 
    Said a while ago he should maybe be given a go alongside Lockyer. What with Pearce's performances being below par and Sarr always likely to make an error I'm surprised it hasn't happened yet. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Talal said:
    mendonca said:
    Oshiilaja is physically stronger than some of our other players. I would like to see him at CB or RB regularly. 
    Said a while ago he should maybe be given a go alongside Lockyer. What with Pearce's performances being below par and Sarr always likely to make an error I'm surprised it hasn't happened yet. 
    Agree with that. He has a strong will to win.
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    Phillips made an incredible save. 

Solly was rank. So so poor and slow, both mentally & physically.

Oshilaja played well & Sarr was our best attacking threat, even though he was defending. 

Vennings & Henry were ok for kids playing in a man's game.

Wiredu looks the part, but nothing came off for him today. 

Odoh put in the effort, but looked a few years too young.

Green has class, did ok & looks a cut above Leko. 

Davison puts in effort, but 95% of the time passes the ball backwards. He's no threat.

Hemed achieved 30 mins where he barely touched the ball (again).

Morgan was poorish. 

Williams looked decent, got quite stuck in and didn't appear to pick up an injury.

Typically poor cup game & fair score. 
  • Options
    Talal said:
    mendonca said:
    It’s because they like the balance of a right and left footer.
  • Options
    How did Hemed, Williams and our new signing Green play? Did they do alright?
    Hemed; Didnt get much service so pretty ineffective

Green; Needs to pass a little better but a threat

Williams; eased his way back, showed glimpses
    Thanks mate.
    Does Hemed look like a player he could do things when we have key players back?
    Glad that I heard Williams left the pitch with no limps which is excellent news.
    Good to hear also that Green sounds like a threat, hopefully the next couple games he will ease in properly and show us why we have signed him.
    I'm just so happy with how the kids have played recently. We just haven't been battered and they have fought and battled every single minute they have all played.
    Hemed had one chance at the death, proper snapshot out of nothing which just narrowly went over - Hopefully he's been managed a lot better after having a poor pre-season so can involved properly now
    I think beyond doubt that Hemed has technical ability, certainly enough to be a decent Championship player. The concern is by the time he gets up to speed it’s already going to be March. 
    Hemed is a finisher, a poacher of a Striker

It worked for Brighton when he got them into the Premier League, just need our midfielders to provide him with the right service
    Agreed, but that’s the concern. Getting used to our style, movement etc all takes time. It’s January so he hasn’t got that on his side now. 
    Yeah I agree in that sense

Hemed to me looks the sort of player who needs it to his feet in the box, his heading doesnt look brilliant

We're a team that cross it high into the box

Hence why I think he's struggled when he has played
    At our best I'd say we try to keep crosses low, or at least we did last season. It was clear it was the way Bowyer wanted us to play.
  • Options
    Odoh didn't start well but was better second half.

Some very harsh comments for a debutant who tried hard and won a dangerous free kick that might have been a pen.
    Yep, if Hoof It thinks it was one of the worst performances ever I am presuming they have missed half of Roland reign...
  • Options
    RC_CAFC said:
    Talal said:
    mendonca said:
    Poor management if they insist on that if the best two CBs are right footed though. 
  • Options
    RC_CAFC said:
    Talal said:
    mendonca said:
    Poor management if they insist on that if the best two CBs are right footed though. 
    Possibly, but Bowyer has always insisted on playing players in their correct positions though. It’s served him pretty well so far. Thought both Sarr and Oshilaja were superb today.
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    Just worrying that after defeat.... we get people going "Happy with That" ... well I'm not I'm pissed off bloody losing.

I will never be Happy.... with that. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    RC_CAFC said:
    RC_CAFC said:
    Talal said:
    mendonca said:
    Possibly, but Bowyer has always insisted on playing players in their correct positions though. It’s served him pretty well so far. Thought both Sarr and Oshilaja were superb today.
    I hardly think playing two right footed CBs at CB is playing someone out of position. It has served him well and if he doesn’t rate Oshilija then that’s fair enough to an extent. But given how neither Pearce or Sarr have been particularly good of late, I think Oshilija is very unlucky not to get a chance alongside Lockyer. 
  • Options
    Just worrying that after defeat.... we get people going "Happy with That" ... well I'm not I'm pissed off bloody losing.

I will never be Happy.... with that. 
    Happy probably the wrong word, content though. 
  • Options
    RC_CAFC said:
    RC_CAFC said:
    Talal said:
    mendonca said:
    I hardly think playing two right footed CBs at CB is playing someone out of position. It has served him well and if he doesn’t rate Oshilija then that’s fair enough to an extent. But given how neither Pearce or Sarr have been particularly good of late, I think Oshilija is very unlucky not to get a chance alongside Lockyer. 
    And Oshilaja has played midfield with Pratley at centre back so can't really say Bowyer insists on playing players in correct positions. 
  • Options
    mendonca said:
    We know 2/3 weeks means a month. That is awful news as our points picked up coincided with Lyle's return. This season is a huge learning curve.
    Luckily that means he may only miss 2 games 
  • Options
     Very poor first half but massive improvement in the 2nd. Generally the youngsters did themselves credit for what it was although I thought Odoh is not  ready for this level as yet and Wiredu had some poor touches.
      Green looks like he could really help our season get back on track but we desperately need strikers in as i dont think Hemed is going to score too many between now and May although that was the most energetic I've seen him play today.
       I think Solly at best now is cover for Matthew's which is sad to see as he is a proper Charlton player but seems to be struggling for pace and sharpness these days plus some off passes.
      As somebody else said earlier, was hoping that we might have scored in the 2nd half as we looked a lot better but then at the end of the day glad we dont have a replay on the schedule and even more relieved that there are no more injuries although Morgan took a bit of a knock at the end. Hope he's ok.

• Options
    Green looked okay and thought Sarr/Oshilaja had decent games. We were not really in the game but weren't disgraced.

Odoh was shocking - far too small and lightweight to play at this level. No idea why he was left on?

Solly had a poor game.

Most of our players worked hard but nobody stood out. 
    Totally unfair. Odoh never stopped trying, showed glimpses of quality and was inches away from winning a penalty with a bit of trickery. 
  • Options

Some very harsh comments for a debutant who tried hard and won a dangerous free kick that might have been a pen.
    He tried hard and if that's all we want from players then fair enough - he was way out of his depth and shouldn't have started. Physically he's far too small, barely touched the ball in first half and underhit most of his passes. He might be a great player at youth level but he's certainly nowhere near the level of senior football.

I'd blame whoever thought he was ready for selecting him today. 
  • Options

He tried hard and if that's all we want from players then fair enough - he was way out of his depth and shouldn't have started. Physically he's far too small, barely touched the ball in first half and underhit most of his passes. He might be a great player at youth level but he's certainly nowhere near the level of senior football.

I'd blame whoever thought he was ready for selecting him today. 
    That'll be Lee Bowyer, then.