Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton Athletic v West Brom | FA Cup R3 | Sun 5 January | Post-match thread

Comments

• Options
    As Simonson says in days gone by the job of a CB was to launch it. If on your wrong foot it invariably went into stands. Football has changed. More so, even since we were last in this division.
    Liverpool play out from the back, which of their CBs are left footed? 
    Not a statement supporting one of each, but of CBs who can pass. Remember the old days, it was about one CB attacking the ball and the other scooping up the scraps, a la Chris Perry, Bobby Moore.  Times have changed.
    Then why mention their opposite foot? Either way a professional CB should be able to play either side. 
    FFS, I am talking of olden days when players didn't need  to be playing on their correct foot, because they hoofed rather than passed.  Is that too difficult a concept to understand?  The reason L/R combinations are preferred is that CBs are expected to pass.  Not the norm, I accept but majority. Many players credited as right or left are actually two footed. I suspect VVD is one.  I remember seeing Arter playing for Staines. He took a fk with his left and minutes later took one with his right.
  • Options
    How did Hemed, Williams and our new signing Green play? Did they do alright?
    Hemed; Didnt get much service so pretty ineffective

Green; Needs to pass a little better but a threat

Williams; eased his way back, showed glimpses
    Thanks mate.
    Does Hemed look like a player he could do things when we have key players back?
    Glad that I heard Williams left the pitch with no limps which is excellent news.
    Good to hear also that Green sounds like a threat, hopefully the next couple games he will ease in properly and show us why we have signed him.
    I'm just so happy with how the kids have played recently. We just haven't been battered and they have fought and battled every single minute they have all played.
    Hemed had one chance at the death, proper snapshot out of nothing which just narrowly went over - Hopefully he's been managed a lot better after having a poor pre-season so can involved properly now
    I think beyond doubt that Hemed has technical ability, certainly enough to be a decent Championship player. The concern is by the time he gets up to speed it’s already going to be March. 
    Hemed is a finisher, a poacher of a Striker

It worked for Brighton when he got them into the Premier League, just need our midfielders to provide him with the right service
    Agreed, but that’s the concern. Getting used to our style, movement etc all takes time. It’s January so he hasn’t got that on his side now. 
    Yeah I agree in that sense

Hemed to me looks the sort of player who needs it to his feet in the box, his heading doesnt look brilliant

We're a team that cross it high into the box

Hence why I think he's struggled when he has played
    I've never seen him win a header.
    He headed a nice ball through towards Davison. (He does hang in the air like many good players.) The WBA defenders were much taller than our players.
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    ross1 said:

See Lee is not “Happy With That” ..... I appreciate people don’t really mean what they say. But, we need to get away from this acceptance of losing every game. It will not end well... 
  • Options
    Good 0-1 defeat against WBA reserves from our 4th team 
    hopefully our 3rd team will fair better against their first team 
  • Options
      sam3110 said:
    How did Hemed, Williams and our new signing Green play? Did they do alright?
    Hemed; Didnt get much service so pretty ineffective

Green; Needs to pass a little better but a threat

Williams; eased his way back, showed glimpses
    Thanks mate.
    Does Hemed look like a player he could do things when we have key players back?
    Glad that I heard Williams left the pitch with no limps which is excellent news.
    Good to hear also that Green sounds like a threat, hopefully the next couple games he will ease in properly and show us why we have signed him.
    I'm just so happy with how the kids have played recently. We just haven't been battered and they have fought and battled every single minute they have all played.
    Hemed had one chance at the death, proper snapshot out of nothing which just narrowly went over - Hopefully he's been managed a lot better after having a poor pre-season so can involved properly now
    I think beyond doubt that Hemed has technical ability, certainly enough to be a decent Championship player. The concern is by the time he gets up to speed it’s already going to be March. 
    Hemed is a finisher, a poacher of a Striker

It worked for Brighton when he got them into the Premier League, just need our midfielders to provide him with the right service
    Agreed, but that’s the concern. Getting used to our style, movement etc all takes time. It’s January so he hasn’t got that on his side now. 
    Yeah I agree in that sense

Hemed to me looks the sort of player who needs it to his feet in the box, his heading doesnt look brilliant

We're a team that cross it high into the box

Hence why I think he's struggled when he has played
    I've never seen him win a header.
    He won 3 today all to our players
    I must have been watching a different game.
  • Options
    what was the attendance today? looking at some of the photos it looked like a couple of thousand in our ends
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    Louis Mendez tweeted the attendance

Att: 6,426 with 1982 away fans
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    Louis Mendez tweeted the attendance

Att: 6,426 with 1982 away fans
    Less than my revised upward figure of 7,500 @Bedsaddick but home fans less than my original guesstimate of 5000. You can leave the lol in place though, all donations gratefully accepted 😉.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    That’s a brilliant away turnout for a reserve fixture on a Sunday afternoon. 
    Agreed
  • Options
    Giving injured players minutes, brave and gallant performance but ultimately still a 1-0 loss and in fairness wasn’t a full strength West Brom side. 

For once I will accept that losing this really is no shame, as we are ravaged by injuries. 
  • Options
    BFG94 said:
    Wish people would not be so hard on the kids. Tend to forget when a youngster makes his first-team debut he is usually surrounded by experienced pros able to help him out. The likes of Odoh and Henry were plunged in alongside other inexperienced players. Bearing that in mind, I believe all the youngsters did well in the circumstances.
     Have never left The Valley after a defeat feeling so upbeat. Good times just around the corner.

These are unique times caused by an unprecedented injury crisis. ‘The kids’ are getting a fantastic opportunity which for most of them is happening a lot sooner than they would normally get. I’ve been impressed with them all except one. Yes, they make mistakes but they still kept going and I’ve seen enough to think we will be seeing them even after the injury crisis has finally cleared up. Odoh was the one disappointment, he looked like he was a passenger yesterday and, except for the one time he did have a go and got the free kick, when the ball did come his way all he wanted to do was flick it away and it inevitably went to a wba player. Obviously he must have a lot of talent to be with the club and to stay on the pitch for 90 minutes but I felt he wasted the opportunity yesterday. We could all say never mind son just keep doing what you are doing and and it will come good or we can do him a favour and tell him straight and let him try and do better next time. 
  • Options
    As Simonson says in days gone by the job of a CB was to launch it. If on your wrong foot it invariably went into stands. Football has changed. More so, even since we were last in this division.
    Liverpool play out from the back, which of their CBs are left footed? 
    Not sure but at that level they are basically two-footed. They also have far more safe options to pass to....including the goalie (who some teams almost use as an extra deep outfield player). 
  • Options
    BFG94 said:
    Wish people would not be so hard on the kids. Tend to forget when a youngster makes his first-team debut he is usually surrounded by experienced pros able to help him out. The likes of Odoh and Henry were plunged in alongside other inexperienced players. Bearing that in mind, I believe all the youngsters did well in the circumstances.
     Have never left The Valley after a defeat feeling so upbeat. Good times just around the corner.

These are unique times caused by an unprecedented injury crisis. ‘The kids’ are getting a fantastic opportunity which for most of them is happening a lot sooner than they would normally get. I’ve been impressed with them all except one. Yes, they make mistakes but they still kept going and I’ve seen enough to think we will be seeing them even after the injury crisis has finally cleared up. Odoh was the one disappointment, he looked like he was a passenger yesterday and, except for the one time he did have a go and got the free kick, when the ball did come his way all he wanted to do was flick it away and it inevitably went to a wba player. Obviously he must have a lot of talent to be with the club and to stay on the pitch for 90 minutes but I felt he wasted the opportunity yesterday. We could all say never mind son just keep doing what you are doing and and it will come good or we can do him a favour and tell him straight and let him try and do better next time. 
    Agreed. If they're deemed good enough to play for the first team then need to be judged accordingly. Most of the youngsters did do okay yesterday and I'm sure Odoh will have learnt a lot from the experience.

• Options
    edited January 2020
    I wasn't impressed by Vennings in his first game....but I've been impressed by him in all of his subsequent games, suggesting that he needed that first game to settle his nerves.

The coaching staff will go through the video with all of the youngsters to show them what they should have done etc.

I'd be far more concerned if I saw youngsters who couldn't play in a team formation or had no concept of where they needed to be off the ball. All of yesterday's youngsters played to the various patterns throughout the game, which showed me they were very well drilled. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Nobody seems to have mentioned Stevenson here as I thought he had a very sound game,Nabby looked majestic at times,if he could just cut out the silly errors he is prone to,he would be some player.All in all a decent effort,but I must confess I do enjoy watching the old stagers like Barry who make the game look so easy.
  • Options
    Nobody seems to have mentioned Stevenson here as I thought he had a very sound game,Nabby looked majestic at times,if he could just cut out the silly errors he is prone to,he would be some player.All in all a decent effort,but I must confess I do enjoy watching the old stagers like Barry who make the game look so easy.
    I like Stevenson...he's definitely got something to offer. Keep him and loan out Lewis Page? 
  • Options
    Wasn't at the game & only watched 15 mins on live stream so not going to comment on the match apart from saying mission accomplished.......no replay & no injuries.

Now onto the real issue in hand.....staying up. Only 2 games now this month & ones that we are not expected to win. After Preston we have 2 weeks rest & so by Barnsley on the 1st of Feb hopefully we will have Taylor, Bonne, Cullen back alongside Williams & Hemed.  Add in 2 or 3 new signings then I would like to think we would have enough to stay up.

I would then go with a back 5 of Matthews, Oshilaja, Lockyer , Sarr & Dougherty. Midfield of Cullen, Williams, Green & Gallagher with Taylor up top.  Bench of Pearce, Solly, Prately, Bonne, Hemed plus new addition(s). Injuries will obviously play a part but you get the gist.
    Or a back four? I don't think we should automatically be thinking of playing a back three with wingbacks. Matthews is perhaps decent in that role, but not sure about Solly and Purrington. Our back four looked fairly solid v. West Brom yesterday, despite Oshilaja and Sarr being a new pairing, and Stephenson being inexperienced - and despite being protected by a very young midfield. Sometimes when you fill a team with defensively minded players you end up on the back foot when you don't need to be.
  • Options
    ross1 said:
    "Certainly got hold of that, did Davison!"

Or Sarpong-Wiredu for that matter. 

What with Lineker saying we're in a lower league than West Brom it's beginning to get very annoying.
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    ross1 said:
    "Certainly got hold of that, did Davison!"

Or Sarpong-Wiredu for that matter. 

What with Lineker saying we're in a lower league than West Brom it's beginning to get very annoying.
    Strange how Davison changes colour during the game...
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    Simonsen said:
    I like Stevenson...he's definitely got something to offer. Keep him and loan out Lewis Page? 
    I'm sure they'll all be queuing up to take Page on loan. 
  • Options
    Simonsen said:
    Went to sleep for their goal. Admittedly I didn't see the game so can't comment on his performance as a whole.
  • Options
    Simonsen said:
    Went to sleep for their goal. Admittedly I didn't see the game so can't comment on his performance as a whole.
    Both Sarr and Stevenson lost concentration at the same moment. Would have been a 0-0 otherwise.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Simonsen said:
    Both Sarr and Stevenson lost concentration at the same moment. Would have been a 0-0 otherwise.
    Think Dillon could have done better as well - fault more with Sarr than Stevenson.
  • Options
    bit of a 'trial' for some of the youngsters .. good for the coaching/management staff to get a brief assessment of some potential first teamers before going out and signing new blood .. that is my take on it anyway .. still a pity how we are always prepared to throw away cup games .. YES, I am well aware of the injury situation etc. etc.