Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

ESI own The Valley and have a commitment to buy the training ground within 6 months hmmmmmmmm

Comments

• Options
    rananegra said:
    It's worth mentioning here that Sparrows Lane is the only League club training ground with a London postcode. Every other team (even the Spanners) have training grounds in the proper suburbs like Bromley or Beckenham or Hertfordshire or Surrey. My understanding is that the land can't easily be converted but then again, where else would the team/academy train? I'd imagine it's quite important to the Academy to train somewhere relatively accessible and switching to further out in Kent where the land might be cheaper may end up being a false economy.
    There was a farm just outside West Malling that was seriously looked at as a possibility for a new training  ground a few years back.
  • Options
    rananegra said:
    It's worth mentioning here that Sparrows Lane is the only League club training ground with a London postcode. Every other team (even the Spanners) have training grounds in the proper suburbs like Bromley or Beckenham or Hertfordshire or Surrey. 
    Love learning something everyday. And im not being sarky i honestly never knew that fact.
  • Options
    I was told months ago that palace where after sparrows lane dont know how true that was but it was by someone at the Rugby club who also told me about them taking Charlton to court
  • Options
    I was told months ago that palace where after sparrows lane dont know how true that was but it was by someone at the Rugby club who also told me about them taking Charlton to court
    Palace are building a new training ground in Beckenham where Goals/Fitness First/Gambados is/used to be so I doubt that is true.
  • Options
    You could spin that either way. 

The rest of that report could be - 

ESI have confirmed they own The Valley as part of their takeover and have a commitment to buy the club’s training ground within the next six months.. once some remedial work and legal matters are resolved.

If ESI were eager to get control of the Club in order to start changing things, they maybe 
    didn't want problems at SL holding up their bigger plans for the rest of the Club.

Ever the optimist....
  • Options
    I have a friend who is a integral part of Dulwich Hamlet. They went through very difficult times with the hedge fund that owned them. 
    His comment to me- careful what you wish for.
  • Options
    There could be all sorts of reasons. They may well have an agreement for sale in place (in fact that sounds the most likely scenario) but either can't yet complete because title checks aren't complete or don't want to complete yet for tax reasons. You can't "commit" to acquire something unless you know that you can force the purchase through i.e. you have a legal contract requiring the current owner to sell. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Gal beat me to it
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    You all laughed at the six questions.

Not laughing now are you?  : - )

1 Who owns the club?

2 What's the business plan?

3 How is the plan being funded?

4 What are the plans for the Valley?

5 What are the plans for the training ground?

6 What's the exit strategy?

There maybe many positive reasons why Sparrows Lane hasn't been purchased yet IE a wish to submit a different planning application perhaps with links to multi million grant funding that RD dismissed, perhaps a dispute over the rugby club to be resolved.

There are also more negative ways to view it. No money, a property play, make your guesses here.

The way it has been released into the public domain, tagged on to a "bigger" story (not so IMHO) about Taylor does not instill confidence.

It does, perhaps, answer the question about why the completion of the takeover took longer than many expected.
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    So they have just bought Baton then.  This could get messy. 
    Just the FC, and the Valley from the Holdings company. Baton owns (owned) the lot. 
  • Options
    Worrying they didn’t buy everything in one go? I thought they were wealthy. I do think things need to be clarified to settle down the nerves
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Pedro45 said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    So they have just bought Baton then.  This could get messy. 
    No. Baton own both CA Football and Holdings companies. The Holding co own the Valley and Training ground. More likely just a delay so they can concentrate on footballing priorities and then complete in the summer at agreed price.
    But this means that the legal entity that ties the property and the football club has been split up. 
    How is that even possible without the trust being notified under the terms of the ACV?
    If the training ground was slit off, the owner of the Valley would still be the holdings company.  So nothing changed to notify? 
    So the training ground has become an asset of another company?  It's getting quite convoluted this, when they could have just bought Baton and had the lot. 
  • Options
    MarcusH26 said:
    Could it be they have their own plans for the site that are very different to Roland's scaled back ones? 
    More reason for them to have acquired the site now.
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    Cawley: ESI saying takeover would have taken too long had they tried to buy sparrows.
    Makes sense
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Maybe the  Sparrows delay has something to do with settling the old director loans. 
  • Options
    rananegra said:
    It's worth mentioning here that Sparrows Lane is the only League club training ground with a London postcode. Every other team (even the Spanners) have training grounds in the proper suburbs like Bromley or Beckenham or Hertfordshire or Surrey. My understanding is that the land can't easily be converted but then again, where else would the team/academy train? I'd imagine it's quite important to the Academy to train somewhere relatively accessible and switching to further out in Kent where the land might be cheaper may end up being a false economy.
    There was a farm just outside West Malling that was seriously looked at as a possibility for a new training  ground a few years back.
    Now Kings Hill Sports Club (near West Malling). When they were developing the site Charlton were definitely going to be a part of it and then withdrew.

When we were in the Premiership a few players lived here when the work began so it all seemed good.

All the pitches have proper drainage, 4g floodlit pitch, good facilities. Not used during the day. Goes to show that there are alternatives. May not be perfect as is, but has plenty of scope to be expanded.
  • Options
    DiscoCAFC said:
    Worrying they didn’t buy everything in one go? I thought they were wealthy. I do think things need to be clarified to settle down the nerves
    Wealthy people don't stay wealthy by buying up white elephants, which is maybe how they see SL until certain things are cleared up
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    Scoham said:
    There is planning consent for larger facilities. There is no likelihood of the latest application being rejected because it is a reduction on what has already been agreed. In planning terms it’s virtually impossible for the council to reject it, because the principle of the development, location and larger scale are all established by the earlier consent. 

The council would have to demonstrate significant additional harm to the Metropolitan Open Land from the changes, which is nonsense.
  • Options
    WSS said:
    And there we go.  Rich could have just put that in the article!
    Doesn't make such a shit storm though does it