Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton Athletic v Fulham | Wednesday 22 January | Match Preview, Predictions, News & Views

Comments

• Options
    Flat back 4 would give us no chance at the moment!
  • Options
    Sage said:
    Charlton Athletic v Fulham
    Wednesday 22 January | Kick-Off: 19.45pm

Referee: Stephen Martin (Staffordshire) - Previously officiated in 3-0 win at home to Derby, and 1-0 loss away at Middlesbrough

Previous Result: Fulham 2-2 Charlton Athletic

Introduction
    As we enter the biggest two weeks of our season, we first have a London derby to contend with. Due to our opponents success in the third round of The FA Cup, they’ve been rewarded with a tie against current Premier League title holders and neighbours to our new owners, Manchester City. The original fixture was due to be played this coming Saturday, but after a confusing change of dates, we are set to take on the West London club, who on a winter’s day will also experience mist rolling in from The Thames, Fulham. 

Opposition
    Manager: Scott Parker (45% win rate)
    Stadium: Craven Cottage | Nickname(s): The Cottagers, The Lily Whites
    Fun facts:
    - Whilst Fulham are the oldest professional London club, it is their ground that arguably holds the biggest story of their history. Craven Cottage was originally a cottage situated where the centre circle is now. The surrounding area was used as Anne Boleyn's hunting ground until a fire in 1888 meant it was abandoned. It wasn't until 1896 that Fulham, as we know it now, moved to their home.

- In 2008, Fulham mascot Billy the Badger once got sent off for break-dancing in the corner of the pitch as a match against Aston Villa started. The mascot blamed badger's poor hearing and eye-sight.

One word to describe Fulham this season could be inconsistent. With having one of the most talented and threatening squads in the division, many people would have expected Fulham to be leading the chase for promotion. However, it hasn't all been bad, a run of 4 wins from their last 6 games, including 3 clean sheets, Fulham find themselves in 3rd place and only 4 points behind Leeds United. As a team with the attacking prowess of Fulham, they have only won 5 games this season by more than one goal. A stat which shows just how close and competitive this league is. 

Fulham very rarely move away from their favoured 4-3-3 formation, with their previous line up against Middlesbrough on Friday evening being:

Rodak
    Odoi | Hector | Ream | Bryan
    Onomah | McDonald | Cairney
    Knockhaert | Reid | Cavaleiro

In terms of personnel, Fulham are without their main man up front just like us. Mitrović is out with ankle ligament damage which makes it easier for us to prepare who is likely to start in their dangerous front three. In the reverse fixture in October, Mitrović and Pearce had a great battle, but that will not be happening at The Valley in midweek. Instead, the movement and pace of Bobby Reid, flanked by Knockhaert and Cavaleiro is what we have to be very wary of.

Fulham like to play open and expansive football with both full-backs pushing up high and wide. They like to dominate and dictate the ball as their 70% possession in October showed. With all of their attacking play and keep ball, they've only scored 5 more goals than we have all season. It shows where our problems are. With every team having their strengths and weaknesses, Fulham is an interesting case. It could be argued that their strength is just as much as their weakness. Full-backs pushing high and wide means Knockhaert and Cavaleiro can cut in and support the lone striker making it very difficult to contain and defend. Their technique and ball manipulation in the final third is enough to hurt most teams. However, with this means that they're very vulnerable on the counter attack and the space left by the full-backs is enough for players like Williams, Oztumer, and Green to exploit at pace. It means we can drag the centre-backs out wide into areas they're not comfortable in. For this to work effectively though, it's vital to have midfield runners getting into the box, something Gallagher done so well for us.

Charlton Team News
    After the defeat at Deepdale, we found out from Bowyer that Forster-Caskey and Cullen have suffered minor setbacks, but the latter is still expected to be part of the game in midweek. The plan on Saturday was for Forster-Caskey to start and Cullen coming on for him. Instead, we now have to hope that Forster-Caskey can recover quickly, and that we do get to finally see Cullen back after two months out.

Interestingly, Solly has not been part of the squad since The FA Cup third round tie against West Brom, and unless he has joined most of the squad in the treatment room, you would expect him to come in for Matthews with the quick turn around. Williams made his first start since October, whilst Oztumer came on to replace him. We could see that as a role reversed on Wednesday. As always, other possible mentions must be for Pearce to potentially come into the team, Morgan returning to the starting line-up, and Hemed could get his first start in place of the hard-working but inexperienced Davison.

As an additional side note, we can hope that in between the time of this being posted and the game on Wednesday evening, we have signed at least one player to come in and be part of the squad. For now, my predicted team can only be...

Subs: Amos, Matthews, Purrington, Oshilaja, Morgan, Williams, Davison

Prediction
    Fulham are a very good side and with the lack of players at our disposal and seemingly lack of belief throughout the squad at the moment, it makes this a huge challenge for our youthful team. An interesting stat to add is that both teams have scored in both halves in 29% of games this season. Let's hope we add to that whilst keeping Fulham quiet! With Fulham having an extra day rest and remaining in London, I know how difficult this game will be. But I have to remain an optimist.

Charlton Athletic 1-1 Fulham
    Green
    We can’t play Solly.  Deji there if Matthews needs a rest 
  • Options
    Can they parade the person responsible for bringing the game forwards around the pitch at half time so we can throw eggs at him?
  • Options
    My Guess:

Phillips
    Matthews, Lockyer, Pearce, Purrington
    Pratley
    Cullen, Morgan
    Oztumer
    Green, Hemed

Bench: Amos, Oshilaja, Doughty, Sarr, Field, Williams, Taylor

Though Ronaldo may come in for Morgan and Messi may replace Oztumer if we get the signings over the line in time

2-1 loss.  Hemed for us

• Options
    edited January 2020
    Aneke stuck 3 in for the u23s on sat, surely a shout for the bench?
  • Options
    My Mum said “if you can’t say anything nice, don’t say anything at all”, so I won’t tell you what I think of our chances in this match. 
  • Options
    2-2
  • Options
    2121 said: 
    Knockheart will ruin purri. Give doughty a go. 
    Doughty is not yet a proper defender, much better going forward.
  • Options
    2-2
    Definitely think it'll be another Desmond
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Got to find a way to limit the Fulham scoring to give us a chance. A clean sheet would be ideal.
  • Options
    Remove the goals from the pitch - 0-0 draw. Simples!
  • Options
    Just remove one of the goals and swap them around at half time. So long as it’s the goal we score in, who cares?
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    Sage said:
    Just remove one of the goals and swap them around at half time. So long as it’s the goal we score in, who cares?
    Still 0-0 for me! Game is a week early for us, shame we couldn't put it back!
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    Just to let others know, apparently Sky Sports have now confirmed they’ll be showing the game live on Sky Sports Football.

I’ve also adjusted the substitutes from the original post with the news of Taylor and Field expected to be part of the squad.
  • Options
    Sage said:
    It was our decision to change it to the 22nd instead of 29th. Had a conversation with another poster on here, and believe it is to allow us a period of time without distractions to get deals across the line before the window shuts.
  • Options
    Sage said:
    Just to let others know, apparently Sky Sports have now confirmed they’ll be showing the game live on Sky Sports Football.

I’ve also adjusted the substitutes from the original post with the news of Taylor and Field expected to be part of the squad.
    Further to this... Looks like it'll be the red button

https://www.skysports.com/watch/football-on-sky

Kilmarnock v Celtic will be the Live game on Sky Sports Football
  • Options
    Sage said:

Further to this... Looks like it'll be the red button

https://www.skysports.com/watch/football-on-sky

Kilmarnock v Celtic will be the Live game on Sky Sports Football
     Well that's us definitely fudged then... Though we drew 2-2 in the reverse on Sky. I'll take that again.
  • Options
    Sage said:
    Sage said:
    It was our decision to change it to the 22nd instead of 29th. Had a conversation with another poster on here, and believe it is to allow us a period of time without distractions to get deals across the line before the window shuts.
    Do you seriously think anybody would be that stupid!
  • Options
    The lack of signings makes our decision to host this game on the 22nd instead of the 29th look even stranger. Pretty sure we won't see any before the game either, which is a shame as a couple of bodies through the door could be a much needed morale booster (for the team, manager and supporters), leaving aside the positive effect they could have on the game.

Hopefully we will see Hemed get a start up top to see what he is capable of and Taylor could come on at the end if we still have a chance of points. Matthews has done well down the right and we don't have another game for a week and a half so he should keep his place. I wonder if we will keep some of the ones who are not quite 100% back for the Barnsley game - six pointer that it is.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Thanks for the preview Sage.  I’m in awe of yours and FAs knowledge and I enjoyed the fun facts too by the way.
    What about @kiwiaddick
  • Options
    Thanks for the preview Sage.  I’m in awe of yours and FAs knowledge and I enjoyed the fun facts too by the way.
    Thank you, glad you like them.
  • Options
    Talal said:
    What about @kiwiaddick
    And of course kiwiaddick 😀
  • Options
    Full throttle London derby. Similarly to West Brom we raise our game and frustrate Parker - 2 - 1 to us Green and Hemed. Knockaert for them
  • Options
    Full throttle London derby. Similarly to West Brom we raise our game and frustrate Parker - 2 - 1 to us Green and Hemed. Knockaert for them
    Yeah defeat tomorrow for Fulham really will be a Knockaert blow!!
    If they play tomorrow, they’ll be tired out for our game on Wednesday!
  • Options
    Stoke won against WBA so let's hope for a miracle win to keep them as a buffer between us and the bottom 3. However, as we're in the habit of losing by one goal and lack confidence I can't see anything other than a sinking feeling in the pit of my stomach as we lose again. I'm going to be very nervous heading into febuarary with all the key fixtures after this dreadful run. 
  • Options
    Watched Fulham Friday and they were dump! Not good defensively at all! I think we will score it’s just how many we ship! We still have only lost by two clear goals on 2 occasions! I’m sticking with a Desmond the same as some others have already mentioned! 

Green and Doughty our scorers 
  • Options
    far better to get well beaten by Fulham this week and then give the team a decent time to prepare for Barnsley