Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Scott Parker Back At The Valley

Comments

• Options
    The only malicious thought I have about Scotty these days, is that his key player throws a tantrum and demands a transfer one January.  ;)
  • Options
    Spoke to Curbs about it a few years ago and he said Scott was a petulant wally (a bit more industrial) about it all but Curbs wanted him to hang till the end of the season and nothing he could do or say would work and he wanted Murray to turn it down but he also understood chance of a lifetime and all that . 
    I’ve never booooo’d him and totally understand him going just his behaviour about how he went about it grates with me .
    I do remember encouraging him to shoot when he played for Newcastle and he banged it in from 25-30 yards .
    Ha ha I remember that game, he ran the entire length of the pitch to the Newcastle fans to celebrate. What a player though but yeah it broke my heart when he left & the way he left. I won’t boo him, done with that. 
  • Options
    S Parker best ever Cafc player produced.
    You really didn't have to put the Initial.
  • Options
    wholehearted player for us and left to further his ambitions, and what man in any job would not have done the same .. 
    been a lot of water flowed down the Thames since then and I hope his team stationed right by the Thames get stuffed tomorrow .. 
    to my mind he's been revelation as a manager. His choir boyish looks belied a fierce competitor as a player and the same thing is happening as a manager, he's not to be underestimated. He was lucky to inherit a well financed team and a talented one despite relegation last season.
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    I absolutely bear Scott no Ill will, it was a long long time ago, and we’re way past all of that.

I just hope that people will get behind our manager, and team, cos boy do we need it, slagging off the opposition is a waste of energy.
  • Options
    And ex players: Holmes and Grant.
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:
    Solidgone said:
    Make love not war  ☮️ 
    Or at my age ..... make tea, not love.

Ive just had to make it as the other half is ploughing through the ironing so thought I'd better step up.
  • Options
    People forgot how many games he played for us as well. He wasn’t like a Gomez or a Lookman, who racked up 20 games, 40 games and get all the #MadeInCharlton adulation stuff. 

Parker played 130 times for us and busted his guts out in every single one of them. The bloke left everything on the pitch, every game. 
    Which is the reason I wouldn’t give him the steam off my piss.

The way he left, when we were so close to being the best we’ve ever been.

He knew exactly what he was doing and it was the beginning of a decline we’re still trying to dig ourselves out of.

I will never welcome him back. But if I was there I’d turn my back rather than boo him. He doesn’t deserve any effort booing would take.

Prick.
    So do you also hate Paulo di Canio, who downed tools and demanded we release,him after just 30 games and having just signed a contract extension? 

No one seems to find Di Canio a prick, the opposite it seems. 
    Nope, because PDC wasn’t CAFC. 
    He played for himself, throughout his career.
    You knew what you were getting the minute he signed. 
    My surprise was that he actually bothered to play for us at all. Many of his type don’t.
    No comparison, Smudge, disappointed 😘

Scott Parker played 128 games for us and we got £10m for him. Joe Gomez played just 21 games and was sold for £3m. We spent the same time nurturing that talent but the rewards we received on and off the pitch were totally different. And yet one is a Judas and the other is a hero.

We could go into the fact he downed tools etc etc but then we could talk about release clauses etc etc which is the other side of this well worn debate.
    I’ve never called Gomez a hero myself, but am very proud of how he’s progressed and that he came from our academy. 
    Again, the only comparison is that they came through our academy.
    Both left whilst Charlton the club was at completely different stages but hugely important to how their exit is perceived.
    Again, a poor comparison imo.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I was, ten when he left. This is the age at which football really becomes an obsession and at which "favourite players" meant pretty much everything. Weirdly, I don't think Parker was one of mine - though it was patently obvious just how great he was.

I was gutted at the way he left, and gutted at the way we were fourth then finished just outside the European places. And we haven't been anywhere near as good since. For this, I've always harboured resentment. So I'll boo him, and chastise him in the heat of the moment - but I don't think I actively hate him, after having had another sixteen years to reflect on it all.

Certainly won't get applause. May well get a boo, but not the vitriol others seem to revel in.
  • Options
    I absolutely bear Scott no Ill will, it was a long long time ago, and we’re way past all of that.

I just hope that people will get behind our manager, and team, cos boy do we need it, slagging off the opposition is a waste of energy.

The last thing we want to do is motivate the opposition ...... as you say, put the energy behind our own lads and get The Valley rocking.

• Options
    Don't give a shit about him, once he chose to don a Chelsea shirt  instead of ours, any affiliation with him went also. 
  • Options
    @AFKABartram is quite right. And @Jessie gives an account which is quite similar to my own timeline of becoming a hardened Addick and for similar reasons. So the whole Parker saga was on the periphery of my active interest although I remember for some reasons quite vividly a few Football Focus interviews with him before and after his extraction by Chelsea. I have to say though that had I never heard of Parker and I saw him interviewed now, he is someone who I just instinctively dislike. He looks and sounds like a square faced supercilious petulant twat. He just rubs me up the wrong way. He may well in reality be the nicest guy on earth and I’ve never met him so who am I to judge. But nah, he’s not for me. 
  • Options
    I’m also finding the “he started our decline” and “he cost us Champions League football” stuff to be a load of contrived nonsense.
  • Options
    It hurt massively at the time, and it still feels like it was a huge missed opportunity for both him and us. We were best together. But, it’s a long time ago now. We all make mistakes. Scotty made arguably the biggest one of his career.
    He was fantastic for us. But he moved on. I know it hurt, but perhaps now we should too.... 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    cafctom said:
    I’m also finding the “he started our decline” and “he cost us Champions League football” stuff to be a load of contrived nonsense.
    Well, let's have a look at the facts.
    We were in the top 4 of the Premier League throughout the whole of January 2004 and we pasted the third placed team Chelsea on the preceding boxing day fixture.
    Can we conclude that "he started our decline"?  Well that's arguable, but as we never got anywhere near top 4 after he left there's a case to be made that our "decline" can be traced back to his departure.
    Similarly, "did he cost us Champions League football" - we'll never know, but I think there is a compelling argument that Chelsea and Parker did between them.
    I would further argue that that was Chelsea's primary intention.
    They didn't need Parker and they seemed to have a policy at the time of nicking competitors best player (e.g.Shawn Wright-Phillips).
    What is your argument for "contrived nonsense"?
    Because we were in the top four of the Premier League for about 5 minutes doesn’t mean we were ever likely to stay there. Even had he stayed I don’t think we would have finished above that seasons top four of Arsenal, Chelsea, Man United and Liverpool.

It’s scraping the barrel to suggest that his departure resulted in our ‘decline’, as it’s not as if we were established in the top four in the first place. 

I agree that Chelsea stole our best player to try and derail us, but I still don’t think we would have finished above them when it was all said and done (they finished 26 points ahead of us).
  • Options
    Jessie: Parker was never captain of England. He made 18 appearances and was during that time made reserve captain to John Terry.

Not saying that I would boo but he deserves it more than Murphy imo, and he got massive stick at Fulham some years ago.
  • Options

it's just the 'alleged' way he went about his departure that still grates on me.

he could've left at the end of the season a hero and with everyone's blessing (and probably gone to Man U)

• Options
    One of the most talented and committed players I have seen for play for us gutted when he left but wish him well now but not tonight 
  • Options
    Jessie: Parker was never captain of England. He made 18 appearances and was during that time made reserve captain to John Terry.

Not saying that I would boo but he deserves it more than Murphy imo, and he got massive stick at Fulham some years ago.
    He captained England against Holland in Feb12, remember feeling quite proud. Never been angrier at a football match than when his face appeared on the big screen at Chelsea and I do believe him leaving started our decline but I don't believe Scott Parker was responsible for our decline as he wasn't properly replaced.  Anger long since subsided find it sad some people still are. I prefer to remember him being the best payer I've seen playing for Charlton in the last six months he was with us but then I embrace the positive rather than the negative.         
  • Options

Parker captained England in 2012

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/17204891

• Options
    edited January 2020
    McCartney said:
    ........ and I do believe him leaving started our decline but I don't believe Scott Parker was responsible for our decline as he wasn't properly replaced.  

Indeed, this was the real problem ....... regardless that angry Charlton supporters wanted to string him up or even just kick the cat in frustration.

Chelsea had tapped up Parker/made Charlton an offer some weeks before being sold to Chelsea on the 30th January -  even if it was just a remote possibility Parker could leave, you'd think some thought would have gone towards that perhaps we needed to bring in a player to replace him, just in case? Were we so under prepared that there was literally no one on our shopping list?

Was it that Curbs didn't believe Parker would actually leave and was running down the clock until the window closed - and then late on, had the rug pulled from under his feet by Murray, as a £10m cheque was slipping from the Chairman's grasp?

Conspiracy theory, of course.

Parker had signed a 5 year contract during the previous summer - and wasn't going anywhere unless Charlton chose to sell him.