Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Scott Parker Back At The Valley

Comments

• Options
    Terrible waste of a career. His honours being limited to a League 1 win with us and and Intertoto Cup with Newcastle.  I'm pretty sure that at the time he left us he was statistically the best tackler in the country (I cannot find anything to back up this assertion other than memory though). Blaming him for Charlton's decline does seem a little OTT, though his departure does seem talismanic -  or is that anti-talismanic? I don't see how we'd have not qualified for Europe with him in the team though apart from the many qualities that he brought there'd have also been more belief from the other players.

Good article here:   https://www.wsc.co.uk/stories/13919-scott-parker-s-wasted-potential-is-a-sorry-tale-of-one-poor-career-choice

• Options
    People should just get over it, especialy those who were not around then, it is 16 years ago.
  • Options
    I was upset when Parker left, but I don`t blame him for going. He was given a great offer that might not of been there at the end of the season.

Bearing in mind to a footballer it is a job, if I was offered 3 times my wages to do the same job somewhere else I would jump at the chance. Even though I am happy where I am.

Looking into the future, Parker could see that he would be able to provide for his family for generations to come. His grandchildren and great grandchildren will reap the benefit of his decision.

As for the European place, would we of got there with him? Probably not, but if we had, would we of benefited from it? 

I don`t think so, all the big clubs complain of the fixture congestion even with huge squads. I think we would of struggled and would of found it difficult to field a team in our league fixtures which could of put us into a relegation battle. 

So in a way Parker might of done us a favour in leaving. We stayed in the league for a couple of more years before the inevitable happened to little old Charlton.

But if he had stayed the full 5 years, and we had not of got into Europe, we might not of got relegated when we did.

• Options
    Oggy Red said:
    McCartney said:
    ........ and I do believe him leaving started our decline but I don't believe Scott Parker was responsible for our decline as he wasn't properly replaced.  

Indeed, this was the real problem ....... regardless that angry Charlton supporters wanted to string him up or even just kick the cat in frustration.

Chelsea had tapped up Parker/made Charlton an offer some weeks before being sold to Chelsea on the 30th January -  even if it was just a remote possibility Parker could leave, you'd think some thought would have gone towards that perhaps we needed to bring in a player to replace him, just in case? Were we so under prepared that there was literally no one on our shopping list?

Was it that Curbs didn't believe Parker would actually leave and was running down the clock until the window closed - and then late on, had the rug pulled from under his feet by Murray, as a £10m cheque was slipping from the Chairman's grasp?

Conspiracy theory, of course.

Parker had signed a 5 year contract during the previous summer - and wasn't going anywhere unless Charlton chose to sell him.

And signing that contract made him worth the £10m. He almost left for Chelsea in that summer for £5m but the deal collapsed because Abramovich wouldn't sanction it. Instead we got half a season out of Parker and twice the money when we did sell him in that January.

Parker maintains that when he signed that contract someone at the Club promised that he would be sold if one of the Champions League Clubs came in for him. That man was Richard Murray. 

Given Murray's involvement with RD, I just wonder if Parker had been sold in the same circumstances some 15 years later whether people would have been quite so doubting that he had been lied to.
  • Options
    FUCK him
  • Options
    I think murray laments selling parker, as ever since when duchatelet, jiminez etc have turned up he's piped up saying "we now no longer need to sell our best talent..."

Waiting to the end of the season Parker could've had the pick of Arsenal, Chelsea and Man utd, but he got greedy.
  • Options
    FUCK him
    Yup 
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:
    McCartney said:
    ........ and I do believe him leaving started our decline but I don't believe Scott Parker was responsible for our decline as he wasn't properly replaced.  

Indeed, this was the real problem ....... regardless that angry Charlton supporters wanted to string him up or even just kick the cat in frustration.

Chelsea had tapped up Parker/made Charlton an offer some weeks before being sold to Chelsea on the 30th January -  even if it was just a remote possibility Parker could leave, you'd think some thought would have gone towards that perhaps we needed to bring in a player to replace him, just in case? Were we so under prepared that there was literally no one on our shopping list?

Was it that Curbs didn't believe Parker would actually leave and was running down the clock until the window closed - and then late on, had the rug pulled from under his feet by Murray, as a £10m cheque was slipping from the Chairman's grasp?

Conspiracy theory, of course.

Parker had signed a 5 year contract during the previous summer - and wasn't going anywhere unless Charlton chose to sell him.

And signing that contract made him worth the £10m.

He almost left for Chelsea in that summer for £5m but the deal collapsed because Abramovich wouldn't sanction it.
     Instead we got half a season out of Parker and twice the money when we did sell him in that January.

That's a very good point.

• Options
    The club sold him. 
    If they wanted to keep him they could have. 

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    MrOneLung said:
    The club sold him. 

Exactly, MrOneLung. You've said it concisely.

That was the point I tried to explain in my long winded earlier post. :smile:

• Options
    Haters gotta hate.

Had people round me spitting hate at Fulham away who were about 2 when he played for us. 

I got over him years ago. Best player I ever saw play for Charlton.
    Completely agree
  • Options
    As others have said, this has been done to death. Some people are never going to change their opinion no matter how much others say “get over it”. And that’s fine. I respect both opinions. What isn’t up for debate though is whether we’d have qualified for Europe had he stayed. Wasn’t it something like 4 points? Of course we would have got those extra points with him in the team. It’s absolutely absurd to suggest we wouldn’t have. Not sure if people say we wouldn’t have to make themselves feel better, but come on.
  • Options
    Stig said:
    Terrible waste of a career. His honours being limited to a League 1 win with us and and Intertoto Cup with Newcastle.  I'm pretty sure that at the time he left us he was statistically the best tackler in the country (I cannot find anything to back up this assertion other than memory though). Blaming him for Charlton's decline does seem a little OTT, though his departure does seem talismanic -  or is that anti-talismanic? I don't see how we'd have not qualified for Europe with him in the team though apart from the many qualities that he brought there'd have also been more belief from the other players.

Good article here:   https://www.wsc.co.uk/stories/13919-scott-parker-s-wasted-potential-is-a-sorry-tale-of-one-poor-career-choice

Hardly a ‘wasted career’, he went on to play for England (and was a starter for them 8 years after leaving us at Euro 2012), and is one of very few players who played 90% of his career as a Premier League regular. 

That same career has has helped him get a management job at a Premier League/Championship level club at a young age.
  • Options
    cafctom said:
    Stig said:

Hardly a ‘wasted career’, he went on to play for England (and was a starter for them 8 years after leaving us at Euro 2012), and is one of very few players who played 90% of his career as a Premier League regular. 

That same career has has helped him get a management job at a Premier League/Championship level club at a young age.
    Also the career that presumably helps him afford the little place he is having built at the moment!

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7758893/Former-England-star-Scott-Parker-39-build-3m-mansion-close-ex-teammate-John-Terry.html

• Options
    edited January 2020
    cafctom said:
    Stig said:

You could say similar about someone like David Bentley but could you imagine that when Parker was flying with us?
  • Options
    cafctom said:
    Stig said:

Also the career that presumably helps him afford the little place he is having built at the moment!

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7758893/Former-England-star-Scott-Parker-39-build-3m-mansion-close-ex-teammate-John-Terry.html

A media room, ffs!
  • Options
    cafctom said:
    Stig said:

Why the hell does anyone need a house that big, the running costs will be mouthwatering ...... unless it's to keep his missus happy .
    Or to pretend he's Scotty Big Bollox.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited January 2020
    Parker seems a pretty joyless person, sure he’s got a job to do and he’s meant to be focused and taken seriously but Bowyer all day long for me, looks quite a surly bloke.

Thought it was funny that Scott went in the wrong dugout before the game started , shouted out oi Lee, he’s after your job!
  • Options
    Carter said:
    I'll never grow out of the extreme dislike I have for him for the way he left also how he spoke to and treated Alan Curbishley. 

Don't anyone give me nonsense about how I would jack my job and move if I was offered the kind of money he was because I have never had 20,000 emotional people cheer everything I do at work and have a team built around me. Football is different 

He is without doubt a class act as a player and one of the best players I've ever seen play for us, a force of nature. Which sickens me even more as he was not appreciated anywhere I don't believe as much as he was at us until way too late in his career. 

I know I should have gotten over it but I can't as much as I try and be a grown up about stuff, Parker leaving for me began the downward spiral we have all enjoyed for the last 16 years 
    exactly my thoughts and why it’s still raw. The guy should’ve been a regular for England for years, he was hands down one of the best players in the prem when he left us. He never hit those heights or at least wasn’t as appreciated later in his career. Then classic West Ham get hold of him and it’s all “oh wow, look how good we’ve made him, where’s he come from?” It’s like, yes, he was always that fucking good. 
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    cafctom said:
    Stig said:

Yeah, 'wasted' is perhaps a little over the top, but for a player of Parker's ability I think it's not unreasonable to say that his medal haul is a bit disappointing. We'll of course never know but I can't help but think if he'd held on for a few months he could have gone to perhaps Arsenal or Man Utd and things would have panned out very differently.
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:
    The club sold him. 

He refused to train, Murray and Curbs tried everything to keep him at the valley, they couldn't match the weekly wage but the loyalty bonus that Murray was prepared to pay meant it would have matched the increase of pay in the first year at Chelsea and being a  star player opposed to a squad player. 

In retrospect once we reached  7 days before the window shut then we should've lined up a replacement and spent most if not all the money. One out, one in.

Having a star player training on his own or just going on strike is demoralising for fans, manager, owner and the player who's head has been turned.  
  • Options
    Good to hear that northern commentator , pretty sure hes the same one who commentated when we done Leeds at St Andrews in the play off final replay
    John Helm I think?
    John Helm-et more like! 

With his bollocks "No one deserves 1st division football more than Mervyn Day" statement. 

Biased as feck he was!

But yes, it does bring back great memories of that phenomenal play-off night! 🙂
  • Options
    I hadn't realised that Bowyer was less than 4 years older than Parker. Looking back, both had rather disappointing medal hauls in their career

Parker - 2nd division winner with us, Intertoto cup (which barely counts) with Newcastle. 18 England caps
    Bowyer - League Cup winner with Birmingham. Just 1 England cap (that's fewer than Paul Konchesky!)

So 1 major honour between them. Might be a good quiz question, the Charlton youth/academy player with the most major honours. 
  • Options
    I told anyone that would listen we should have signed Bowyer after both parker and Murphy left
  • Options
    £3m house?

You pay that for a garage in some parts of London.
  • Options
    I hadn't realised that Bowyer was less than 4 years older than Parker. Looking back, both had rather disappointing medal hauls in their career

Parker - 2nd division winner with us, Intertoto cup (which barely counts) with Newcastle. 18 England caps
    Bowyer - League Cup winner with Birmingham. Just 1 England cap (that's fewer than Paul Konchesky!)

So 1 major honour between them. Might be a good quiz question, the Charlton youth/academy player with the most major honours. 
    Dont forget the England Captaincy that Parker had for a game or two