Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Supporters group meeting with Matt Southall - Friday 24th January

Comments

• Options
    Cheers as always for the info
  • Options
    Thanks for all the updates and comments. Very informative. Still unclear to me why the deal was structured so as to give ESI a fair crack at the January transfer window and deal with the DD etc of other parts of the club and yet here we are six days from the end of the window with the team having needed reinforcements for weeks and weeks and sitting in a precarious league position and yet all we have to show for all this talk and ambition is the loan of Green from Aston Villa and the squad is now weaker than when they bought the club. What I’ve read gives me some encouragement but I will only feel confident once some of this talk is translated into action. Losing our Championship status surely cannot be an option.
    Because being at the reins back then gave them the opportunity to negotiate in the first place, through this month. It's easy, in hindsight, to say the above but maybe their intentions were to sign 4 or 5 players (theres still time to sign a couple) and win every game, but as they've said, they won't pay out more than a player is worth, and that has come from Bowyer himself
    Then why not target the players that they feel very confident can yield a return going forward and start the rebuilding of the team with better players now, ready for next season and able to make as certain as it can be that we won’t be starting next season in league one. 
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    When we turn to squad matters...did anyone ask about the circumstances of Gallagher’s recall?

Interesting comment from MS about how asking prices drop significantly at the end of the window. Makes absolute sense, but I’ve never heard it actually articulated by someone with practical experience. 
    Then we get the likes of Josh Parker.
    Not if the goals for the window’s activity (both selling and buying)  have been  planned and agreed in advance by all relevant members of the management. 

That does not eliminate the risk element, but it makes the likelihood of a decent outcome soooo much higher. 

Patently that did not happen 12 months ago. The sale of Grant - for a pittance - clearly blindsided Bow and co. As did the recall of Gallagher but that clearly was not the fault of the management team, who could not reasonably have planned for it, given the signals from Chelsea’s relevant people in December.
    Surely that planning would include a timeline to maximise the value of our investment in new players? We’ve played 5 matches since the window opened and won 0 of them.
    Well, one point in their defence is this: When the window opened they had no reason to plan that they would lose Gallagher and thus need to deal with a massive great hole  our midfield, while at the same time they believed that both Cullen and JFC would be available again during the window. I was a bit mystified at the time by choosing to play Fulham on 22nd, but you could arguably now say that the decision was justified.

Anyway it seems none of this was asked about, which I find surprising, but never mind, lots of good stuff, more than we got in 6 years of the RD regime. 
  • Options
    Agree but there is a fix and our owners will lose more by getting relegated than by taking the fix ?
  • Options
    Is there a management structure flowchart available? 

I'm neither in the know or very clued up, but it'd be nice to know where all these new personalities sit within the company and what their duties entail.  Also are there unfilled positions?  (Not for me, asking for a friend). 
  • Options
    Is there a management structure flowchart available? 

I'm neither in the know or very clued up, but it'd be nice to know where all these new personalities sit within the company and what their duties entail.  Also are there unfilled positions?  (Not for me, asking for a friend). 
    Not seen one
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Chunes said: 
    razil said:
    They apparently own a 99 year Lease on the Valley stadium, via owning CHARLTON Athletic football company, will buy CAFC holdings which owns the freeholds. 
    That's good enough for me. Maybe we can go back to being football fans! 
    Hang on a sec Chunes, I thought you were going to bolster up our midfield!
  • Options
    I’m quiet happy if they want to invest in the infrastructure at the Valley, because the place looks tatty
  • Options
    If the club has a 99 year lease at a fixed peppercorn rent only reviewed every 99 years😁 then that is fine by me.
  • Options
    Lot of focus on one issue.

Grateful for any feedback on other things that were covered?
    Any updates on hanging flower baskets outside the turnstiles ?
  • Options
    I just want Duchâtelet out completely, regardless of assurances that ESI own the leasehold. I don’t trust Roland an inch. 
    Trust shouldn't come into it, if there are legally binding contracts.
  • Options
    I just want Duchâtelet out completely, regardless of assurances that ESI own the leasehold. I don’t trust Roland an inch. 
    Contracts are easily amended and messily ignored, happens every day.
  • Options
    Might I, respectfully suggest, that we all give MS and ESI some space to see what they deliver in terms of new signings until the end of next week, and in terms of the purchase of the whole 'package' that is Charlton Athletic (land, buildings car parks etc) until the summer.
    MS has already spoken more and been far more public than RD was in 6 years, and MS has only been in charge 3 bloody weeks. Its time we just watched and see what transpires throughout the rest of this season and the early stages of season 20/21. We will see if the training ground works begin in the summer, we will see what happens regarding strengthening the squad in 7 days and we will see if the 6 months to purchase the club happens. I'm looking forward to hearing (away from the buildings and land) what else was said last night, and I'm certainly looking forward to this new era. Its time to sit back and see what unfolds, we have had enough dark days to last as a lifetime, lets just all chill out for at least 6 months and try and enjoy the football!
    Amen to this.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    se9addick said:
    Contracts are easily amended and messily ignored, happens every day.
    I just can't see ESI getting knocked by RD, which is the context of Arsenetatters' post. If anything, I reckon RD would be the one to get his fingers burnt, out the two 
  • Options
    cabbles said:
    On a serious note, the total ownership of all things CAFC is rightly a question we need answered, but I am 100% with RedMidland on this, let’s give them the time to get on with the job at hand, and I take them at face value when they said that they needed to get the takeover done for the start of Jan.

It’s understandable that there are reservations until we know Roland is 100% out the picture, but I think that if you take the time to consider that we are being backed by the private sec to one of the ruling families of the UAE, this is big boy s*** for want of a better term.  

Not an expert in Emirati culture, but everything I have picked up since they took us over is that it’s important to make any investment/venture a success, and I can’t imagine they would want/nor not have the money to buy RD out completely, and do it with the complete autonomy and freedom of running all things CAFC.  

His Excellency means business, and for now, I am just going to enjoy the fact Bowyer has signed a new deal, injured players are coming back, we MAY get some players in, Southall is an engaging & willing communicator, they have a 5 year plan and there is a bit of buzz about the club again.  
    Who knows, they might even have something up their sleeve to leave RD out of pocket, which would be nice
  • Options
    Agree but there is a fix and our owners will lose more by getting relegated than by taking the fix ?
    Give it a week and I'm sure there'll be a couple of good signings made.
  • Options
    castrust said:

Our notes from the meeting:

https://www.castrust.org

Very good summary.

LA did say people could stay overnight at the new training ground but not live there.

On the Valley there are no plans to expand capacity until crowds reach capacity but they are looking at improvements is the dug outs and the millennium suite.

In February and March MS will meet with all the department heads to discuss what needs to be done.

Already had a meeting with the head groundsman in the middle of the pitch.
    Curious to see how they can improve the dugouts

They've always been a bit squeezed in, only way I could see them achieving it (if they wanted those proper Premier League bench seats) is by building into the West Stand where I presume fans will lose their Season Tickets
    If we go up to the PL, then we'll have to change the dugouts anyway as they don't meet PL requirements - they're too small and unevenly placed

It makes far more sense (if you can afford it) to it when there are spare seats in the Lower West so that relatively few people are affected
  • Options
    castrust said:

Our notes from the meeting:

https://www.castrust.org

Excellent summary, with what reads to me like a classic @Pico sign-off.
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    Cullen wants to make it at West Ham.
    Well if he changes his mind he will be very welcome here.
    Let's see how he feels if we start to move up the table, and they get relegated. 
  • Options
    Thank you for the updates. All seems positive. Proof in pudding and all that...
  • Options
    When we turn to squad matters...did anyone ask about the circumstances of Gallagher’s recall?

Interesting comment from MS about how asking prices drop significantly at the end of the window. Makes absolute sense, but I’ve never heard it actually articulated by someone with practical experience. 
    Surely works both ways though?

Prices will only drop if a club has openly said a player can leave and there aren't many takers. As we come to the end of the window the club might lower his asking price or even release him just to get rid of the wage.

But on the other hand, as some clubs become more desperate as it gets to the last few days of January, then the selling clubs can ask for a higher fee and the players ask for higher wages.
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    Cullen wants to make it at West Ham.
    Well if he changes his mind he will be very welcome here.
    Let's see how he feels if we start to move up the table, and they get relegated. 
    That will make it more likely he stays there, won't it?

The only chance we have of getting him is if he isn't part of thier plans next season.  If they are in the championship he probably will be.