Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Supporters group meeting with Matt Southall - Friday 24th January

Comments

• Options
    Thanks for the updates.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Paul McCarthy is an ex journalist and now  PR consultant to the club. Has been v proactive in arranging fan engagement and probably the one writing the statements. 

Lee Amis is a lifelong Charlton fan and erstwhile poster on here. 

Duchatelet still owns The Valley?

A shame the meeting had to finish at 8 due to another engagement that could not be postponed.
    Here was me thinking signings were the most important thing for a chairman to be sorting in January.

How could I be so blind?
    Being blind would explain why you did missed the fact that he had to leave to meet an agent to discuss a possible signing.
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    Henry Irving, can you clarify The Valley/Sparrows Lane ownership status please.
    I know razil has commented, but do you agree ?
    Thanks.

What MS said was ESI own the bricks and mortar, and pitch, but not the surrounding land.

ESI will, according to MS, own everything in six months.

He understands why fans are uneasy about the separation of club and some of the ground for historical reasons but as he explained later it was less of an issue for ESI as they don't need to leverage (borrow against) the Valley to fund the takeover, unlike other potential buyers.

Hence also why, according to MS, the old directors bonds are not an
    while they were for others.

It's late, more tomorrow
    Thanks.
    So I'm assuming from this that the directors loans will continue, as they have no need/reason to repay them at this point in time.
  • Options
    Thanks.

What MS said was ESI own the bricks and mortar, and pitch, but not the surrounding land.

He understands why fans are uneasy about the separation of club and some of the ground for historical reasons but as he explained later it was less of an issue for ESI as they don't need to leverage (borrow against) the Valley to fund the takeover, unlike other potential buyers.

It's late, more tomorrow
    Thanks.
    So I'm assuming from this that the directors loans will continue, as they have no need/reason to repay them.
    In which case, who do you think currently owes the money?
  • Options
    Redrobo said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Paul McCarthy is an ex journalist and now  PR consultant to the club. Has been v proactive in arranging fan engagement and probably the one writing the statements. 

Lee Amis is a lifelong Charlton fan and erstwhile poster on here. 

Duchatelet still owns The Valley?

A shame the meeting had to finish at 8 due to another engagement that could not be postponed.
    Here was me thinking signings were the most important thing for a chairman to be sorting in January.

How could I be so blind?
    Being blind would explain why you did missed the fact that he had to leave to meet an agent to discuss a possible signing.
     I didn't miss that, hence my post. It reads like Elfsborg missed that in my opinion. However could be that I read it as though he was being sarcastic himself and I responded with sarcasm.

Danger of lack of tone on a screen.
  • Options
    Uboat said:
    Pico said:

• Lee Bowyer still aiming for the play-offs !

As far as my BetVictor account is concerned, this is the real news tonight. 
    Good point, I've got £100 on CAFC to avoid relegation.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Thanks.

It's late, more tomorrow
    Thanks.
    So I'm assuming from this that the directors loans will continue, as they have no need/reason to repay them.
    I'm not entirely sure what you are asking.
    But I believed that the director's loans were repayable when we reach The Premier League. 
  • Options
    So we all happy or not?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Very happy.
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    Thanks.

It's late, more tomorrow
    Thanks.
    That was MS's view.

To answer Rick's question ESI have, according to MS, taken on the liability of the loans but as they don't need to leverage the assets they don't have to repay them now.

They will when we're in the premier league over five years as per the original agreement although MS said they'd be happy to reach a settlement with the directors.

I'm merely reporting what was said at the meeting BTW
    Thanks, but the loans are secured against the freehold of the land (among other things). It makes no sense to say that ESI have taken on the liability of the loans without holding the assets against which they are secured. For obvious reasons it’s not within ESI’s choice to do so and the asset holder (RD) cannot pass them on like that because they are secured against Baton as well as FC Limited.

The only viable interpretation I can see would be that RD is also liable for the loans because they remain secured against assets which he still owns. He can’t unilaterally release the charges.

In any event ex-directors had been led to believe - including by Richard Murray - that they would be getting their money. So something seems to have changed.
  • Options
    So we all happy or not?
    I very much doubt it, but I know I am.
    Some people just can't do happy.
    Everybody's happy nowadays
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    Dazzler21 said:
    So we all happy or not?
     You can please some of the people all of the time or all of the people some of the time, but never all of the people all of the time.

I'm happy. Quite a few others seem happy.

Not sure Airman is entirely, not a knock but his posts show a clear distrust.

Distrust is not fair.
    Anyway i for one am happy certainly happier than i was with The Helmet.
    Things can go pear shaped so nobody knows but everything i hear and read so far makes me feel like we have a plan as a club moving forward. People will always dig deep and research anything they can but we as fans should appreciate those people that do so in the interest of our club. 
  • Options
    Thanks.

It's late, more tomorrow
    Thanks.
    That was MS's view.

To answer Rick's question ESI have, according to MS, taken on the liability of the loans but as they don't need to leverage the assets they don't have to repay them now.

They will when we're in the premier league over five years as per the original agreement although MS said they'd be happy to reach a settlement with the directors.

I'm merely reporting what was said at the meeting BTW
    Thanks, but the loans are secured against the freehold of the land (among other things). It makes no sense to say that ESI have taken on the liability of the loans without holding the assets against which they are secured. For obvious reasons it’s not ESI’s choice to do so and the asset holder (RD) cannot pass them on like that because they are secured against Baton as well as FC Limited.

The only viable interpretation I can see would be that RD is also liable for the loans because they remain secured against assets which he still owns.

In any event the ex-directors had been led to believe - including by Richard Murray - that they are getting their money.
    Perhaps the legally binding agreement/type of compulsory order has covered this angle, so that the new owners have taken on the liability ?
  • Options
    Why is distrust unfair.

It seems like he doesn't trust them? 

Apologies to @Airman Brown if he does in fact trust them, we can only truly comment based on other users posts.
  • Options
    This one off peppercorn payment that was mentioned earlier is I suppose another word for paying the Freeholder... ie Duchatalet, to sign over the Freehold.
    Where I am slightly confused is are we (as things stand), going to be paying just a one off peppercorn payment or an ongoing leaseholders fee......which we would be obliged to do if Duchatalet were to withhold the purchase of the Freehold to us.
    The purchase price of Freeholds in the private sector are typically not that expensive, especially when they have a leaseholder in situ on a 99 year lease, in fact I know that leaseholders nowadays even have a ‘right to buy’ the Freehold, though I’m not sure if that legislation also applies to commercial properties?
  • Options
    RD can't withhold the purchase of the freehold, if there is a legally binding agreement to do so (as we've been told).
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    Thanks.

It's late, more tomorrow
    Thanks.
    I'm not entirely sure what you are asking.
    But I believed that the director's loans were repayable when we reach The Premier League. 
    See above. The loans were to CAFC Limited but because it is a loss-making business they are secured against Baton, I.e the freeholds as held by Holdings, through legal charges. That makes RD liable as the freeholder, but either way you can’t unilaterally remove (part of) the security of the loans.

It’s like me saying I’ve sold my house to someone else without repaying the mortgage. The lender’s legal charge on the land would prevent it and make the sale contract unlawful.