Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Adam Matthews - gone to Cyprus, and is in ManU's Europa League group (p18)

Comments

• Options
    edited September 2021
    Crusty54 said:
    Think people have spent so long watching mediocre full backs that they’ve forgotten what a good one looks like.

We won’t be getting promoted with Matthews as our first choice right back.
    The Cheltenham left back yesterday is no spring chicken but he was quite impressive going forward.
    Blair their right wing back is 32 and he dominated the right hand side in the first half
    Amazing how good players look when they are actually trying. I don't think Matthews really cares. 
  • Options
    previously I've always rated him and thought it was a great addition to the squad, currently though he is absolutely dog sh*t (and that's being kind)
  • Options
    He enjoyed the challenge of testing himself in the Championship, but is quite a reluctant player in L1.
  • Options
      I like Matthews.  He was one of our better performers in the champ, pretty consistent and good support play - although he rarely created a goal.
      I was more alarmed last season, when the main problems were midfield.  He's a senior pro, with plenty of experience, yet he had no positive influence on the game.  He was good enough defensively, but virtually everything positive came on the left.  Had reservations about him this season, as there's so little pace in the team, that with Adkins shape you absolutely need dynamic full backs.  I struggle to think of anyone previously we've had, who's had 20+ caps and doesn't seem to push players around him.
      He may not be the main problem, and I may be bias towards Purrington, but at this level Purrington is more willing going forward and much more active.  I can't understand why they were desperate to play Maatsen last season, but couldn't identify at least one fb this season who would offer something on the overlap.  Maybe we made Connor Olgivie look excellent, but to not consider someone like him on the right or left above Matthews baffles me:  I know Connor's a lb.
  • Options
    He is poor rubbish delivery and stands off far too much. i see some say Gunter was at fault for both goals the 1st is Matthews the save is made and he doesn't react 
  • Options
    If only we had Chris Solly right now.... 
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    Gunter is far more attacking. I'd strongly consider playing him in his actual position 
    When we actually have a LB, Gunter deserves a chance back in his proper position I'd agree
  • Options
    What someone who doesn't fulfil his contract?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I don’t think Barker is a right back and is not ready for the 1st team, but I would rather play him at right back than Mathews because he at least adds enthusiasm and commitment.
  • Options
    My view of Matthews Is he's actually a really good league 1/championship right back, or could be. His reading of the game is very good and he's technically good. I just don't think he enjoys football anymore and hasn't for years, maybe that's too much too young and believing the hype, either way I think his end of career school report will read 'not enough effort, could have done much better'.

This probably sums him it up:

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/curious-case-adam-matthews-ex-16443579
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    Was good in the championship but I agree probably doesn't want to be here and perfotmances highlight that. Would play Soare LB and Gunter RB.
  • Options
    From what I've seen Matthews is far superior going forward than Gunter.  Gunter offensively as a rb just reminds me of the worst of early to mid 90's full backs, who just hit bad inside diagonal reachers time after time.  Problem I have with Matthews is he looks good going forward when the energy's right with other players, he doesn't add to the average energy of the team.

We have too many players like that.  Jaiyesimi is actually quite good defensively - can switch off - but looks to me like many other players in our team - he needs somebody else with the starter motor to get him going or overlap/support.

I don't think Gunter or Matthews are terrible players, but if we lack pace and dynamic play from the front 6 where do you get it?  It has to be from the full backs.  Looking through Matthew's career, he's not been a real plus factor in anything but a very good side at Celtic.  If it's not in his personality it isn't going to happen now.

A real shame that both Gunter and Matthews, two of our senior pros have so little influence on the team: I hope people don't abuse them as they both seem decent and honest pros.  Neither look unprofessional to me.  
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    Even though Gunter's gone a bit shit at least he never shies away and always plays with grit and heart. 

Whilst we're conceding so many & we need to stop that... Immediately.

With Inniss a continuous crock and Famewo a liability since his injury we need strong defensive fullbacks that tuck in as needed and can stay defensively minded. 

So with that in mind, I'd opt for Gunter at right back and Purrington at left back as soon as possible. (Unless of course Souare is more solid)
  • Options
    Gunter goes for the byline. Matthews almost never does. The most you'll ever get out of him is a cross from deep. He's the most negative regular fullback I can recall us having. He's a decent one on one defender which is why he plays for us at all
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    We all want players that are playing for us to really want to be here, and love the club, reading that article, sounds like a promising player who it really didn't quite happen, whose career is on the way down, i'm yet to be convinced about our full backs in an attacking or defensive role, feel like they are doing us a favour being here, when really they are not as good as they think they are.

Hopefully they along with other players can get their act together pretty sharpish , rather than settling for 2nd best and picking up a wage.
  • Options
    Like, can you think of a single regular outfield player less likely to score for us? Has he even had a shot? 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Leuth said:
    Like, can you think of a single regular outfield player less likely to score for us? Has he even had a shot? 
    I think he's more of a lager type of guy.
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    iaitch said:
    Think Solly has a very different view on what happened there.
    I’m sure he has but unless I’ve missed it we don’t know yet……do we? 
    Fair, but it’s a bit harsh to dismiss him as someone who doesn’t fulfil contracts on the basis of the club’s (Lee Bowyer’s) account of events. It’s fairly well known that Solly was unhappy with the club’s version - Bowyer’s version - and disputes that he had refused to return. This is why there was no tidy end to his career at Charlton and he didn’t get the recognition it deserved - Covid obviously being an aggravating factor. At best, there is a dispute between him and Bowyer about what happened.
  • Options
    iaitch said:
    Think Solly has a very different view on what happened there.
    I’m sure he has but unless I’ve missed it we don’t know yet……do we? 
    Fair, but it’s a bit harsh to dismiss him as someone who doesn’t fulfil contracts in the basis of the club’s account of events. It’s fairly well known that Solly was unhappy with the club’s version - Bowyer’s version - and disputes that he had refused to return. This is why there was no tidy end to his career at Charlton and he didn’t get the recognition it deserved - Covid obviously being an aggravating factor. At best, there is a dispute between him and Bowyer about what happened.
    he should come out publicly and put the record straight coz most think he's as bad as taylor although shot himself in the foot far worse 
  • Options
    ColinTat said:
    From what I've seen Matthews is far superior going forward than Gunter. 
    Is he?

Attacking contributions from Matthews have been minimal, I'm struggling to think of "wicked crosses", brilliant runs into the box and devastating passes. 
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    Leuth said:
    Didnt he have a shot on Saturday in the second half - Cant remember if it was a neat bit of play or whether he was there because he'd gone on a run, but ended up replicating DJ's effort that went wide to the right of the goal.

Wasnt just a case of wrong player, wrong time.. But perhaps should have put in a low cross in front of the 'keeper

Apart from Purrington, goals from our Full-Backs have never looked likely
  • Options
    Tell me the Scottish "Premier" league is easier than league one without telling me... 

• Options
    Leuth said:
    Didnt he have a shot on Saturday in the second half - Cant remember if it was a neat bit of play or whether he was there because he'd gone on a run, but ended up replicating DJ's effort that went wide to the right of the goal.

Wasnt just a case of wrong player, wrong time.. But perhaps should have put in a low cross in front of the 'keeper

Apologies Leuth... Looks like it was Gunter

• Options
    Leuth said:

Wasn't that shot from Gunter?
  • Options
    Honestly cannot believe he has 8 career goals
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    What on earth was he doing showing the Pompey winger to the inside channel onto his stronger foot? Basics…