Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Adam Matthews - gone to Cyprus, and is in ManU's Europa League group (p18)

Comments

• Options
    edited July 2021
    Matthews is fine. I've never seen that he's anything more than competent. I had hoped we'd try to do better, but perhaps the money's best saved for another position.
  • Options
    Good news. Looking forward to getting some creative midfielder's in and another forward.
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    Matthews is fine. I've never seen that he's anything more than competent. I had hoped we'd try to do better, but perhaps the money's best saved for another position.
    He's very solid and very rarely gets done by his winger. Offers very little going forward (there was one assist for Stockley last season I think) but at least has the pace to sort of be there with the winger, idk
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    Chunes said:

I'm inclined to agree. I like him, and you certainly can't flag him as a significant weak link in the team, but I was hoping to see a bit more attacking width offered by our full-backs this year and he's not really a "bombing on" type full back. Weirdly I think he was better suited to us in the Championship when we were primarily the weaker side in every game and looking to defend well first, if we are going to get up we need to be on the front foot more and I think more attacking full backs (who aren't defensive liabilities) would help us in that respect. He defensively pretty solid though and has good recovery pace.

He's a very decent player overall and I think he's better than Gunter. Decent signing if not one to get the pulse racing.
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    "Very rarely gets done by his winger".......last season his defending directly led to more than a few goals. That statement is not quite true of the Matthews we had last season.

I like him and sense an improved season. 29 age wise brings experience and could go for a number of years at RB with his fitness. 
  • Options
    Rate Matthews highly, in possession is very comfortable at playing out from the back but his main asset is his defending 1v1 senses the danger and is quick to win/block the ball. Good that we nearly have a settled back 4 to work with all pre-season.
  • Options
    He’s a proper pro. Will be quality next season if he stays fit and is given the number 2 shirt from the off. 
  • Options
    Happy days,great to have Adam back again,it’s coming along nicely this rebuild & long may it continue,well done all involved 
  • Options
    AddickRam said:
    Rate Matthews highly, in possession is very comfortable at playing out from the back but his main asset is his defending 1v1 senses the danger and is quick to win/block the ball. Good that we nearly have a settled back 4 to work with all pre-season.
    In addition Matthews has a very useful long throw. When he does get forward, he keeps possession with tidy interchange short passing - plus we've seen he's capable of a long pinpoint pass or decent cross.

• Options
    Chunes said:

I'm inclined to agree. I like him, and you certainly can't flag him as a significant weak link in the team, but I was hoping to see a bit more attacking width offered by our full-backs this year and he's not really a "bombing on" type full back. Weirdly I think he was better suited to us in the Championship when we were primarily the weaker side in every game and looking to defend well first, if we are going to get up we need to be on the front foot more and I think more attacking full backs (who aren't defensive liabilities) would help us in that respect. He defensively pretty solid though and has good recovery pace.

He's a very decent player overall and I think he's better than Gunter. Decent signing if not one to get the pulse racing.
    Good post, I think playing him and Purrington in the same side made our play slow and quite negative, lots of sideways and backwards passing.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Redhenry said:
    Chunes said:

Good post, I think playing him and Purrington in the same side made our play slow and quite negative, lots of sideways and backwards passing.
    I wouldn't be surprised to see another LB coming in as cover/competition, quite possibly another loanee. If we are going one up front then width is going to be very important to how we play.
  • Options
    Glad to see some reasonable activity, but re-signing previous players gets us no better than standing still. I think many are underestimating how much not replacing Aneke is gonna cost us.
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    Glad to see some reasonable activity, but re-signing previous players gets us no better than standing still. I think many are underestimating how much not replacing Aneke is gonna cost us.
    How do you know we are not replacing Chuks?
  • Options
    stonemuse said:
    Can you think of any 15 goal scorers we are currently linked with? Can you think of anyone available from L1 or higher that scored 15+ last year that we are even looking at? I can’t. Could we? Sure. But we haven’t and I don’t hear and rumours we will. This is not the PL, where teams were waiting until the Euros are over to make their move. I am just saying right now we are not even close to a playoff team being down his 15 goals.
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    stonemuse said:
    Can you think of any 15 goal scorers we are currently linked with? Can you think of anyone available from L1 or higher that scored 15+ last year that we are even looking at? I can’t. Could we? Sure. But we haven’t and I don’t hear and rumours we will. This is not the PL, where teams were waiting until the Euros are over to make their move. I am just saying right now we are not even close to a playoff team being down his 15 goals.
    Can you think of anyone we are actually linked with?

Not wish lists, suggestions but actually proper sourced links?

Replacing Chuks will be difficult but 5 weeks before the start of the season is a bit early to say will regret not replacing him.  I agree I think a lot of people on here have under estimated how hard it will be, but I doubt the people that actually have to do it have. 
  • Options
    stonemuse said:
    In other words, you have no factual basis to state we are not replacing him ... it’s supposition  
  • Options
    stonemuse said:
    stonemuse said:
    In other words, you have no factual basis to state we are not replacing him ... it’s bollocks

• Options
    edited July 2021
  • Options
    I try not to criticise Napa since his meltdown at me, but I find it very difficult to ignore people that spout continual bollocks.
      I don't know the history, but I think that unreasonable.  Napa's points rarely have a lack of logic to them.  You can disagree with them, but just badly and rudely calling them out is poor.

Personally I'm a lot more positive with Stockley and Washington.  We do need another striker, who's a blend of the two mentioned.  But didn't we get promoted, playing for half a season with one striker who could score?  Much more important is adding pace and dynamism to the midfield/wings.  No idea who they're targeting but Gallen's work is usually excellent.
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    ColinTat said:
    I try not to criticise Napa since his meltdown at me, but I find it very difficult to ignore people that spout continual bollocks.
      I don't know the history, but I think that unreasonable.  Napa's points rarely have a lack of logic to them.  You can disagree with them, but just badly and rudely calling them out is poor.

Personally I'm a lot more positive with Stockley and Washington.  We do need another striker, who's a blend of the two mentioned.  But didn't we get promoted, playing for half a season with one striker who could score?  Much more important is adding pace and dynamism to the midfield/wings.  No idea who they're targeting but Gallen's work is usually excellent.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    ColinTat said:

It's expecting a little much for Gallen to be a midfielder/winger as well as scouting out potential signings....

He said, spouting continual bollocks.  🤭
  • Options
    ColinTat said:

It's is, thats why saying we will regret not replacing Chuks is bollocks.  It may not be bollocks come September, but it certainly is in July. 
  • Options
    Think people have spent so long watching mediocre full backs that they’ve forgotten what a good one looks like.

We won’t be getting promoted with Matthews as our first choice right back.
  • Options
    I like Matthews and think for the most part he's done well enough for us. Was pretty poor yesterday though and have seen people here and elsewhere saying they want Gunter that side. Maybe they've forgotten the number of times he couldn't be bothered to track a runner last season? Personally I'd stick with Matthews for now.
  • Options
    Think people have spent so long watching mediocre full backs that they’ve forgotten what a good one looks like.

Said it in pre season and got pelters. No where near good enough.

he also delayed signing for the past 2 summers as late as he could just incase he got a better offer.

6/10 player. 
  • Options

The Cheltenham left back yesterday is no spring chicken but he was quite impressive going forward.
  • Options
    Always had the feeling with Matthew’s that he’s not 100% committed.

Like others have said both years he’s delayed & delayed his signing after looking for other options.

feels like a bad relationship where he’s just settled 
  • Options
    Crusty54 said:

The Cheltenham left back yesterday is no spring chicken but he was quite impressive going forward.
    Blair their right wing back is 32 and he dominated the right hand side in the first half
  • Options
    Maccn05 said:
    Always had the feeling with Matthew’s that he’s not 100% committed.

Like others have said both years he’s delayed & delayed his signing after looking for other options.

feels like a bad relationship where he’s just settled 
    It's hard to feel attached to a player who's signed 3 separate one year contracts, and has clearly looked around elsewhere first. It feels a bit of a "that'll do I suppose" arrangement from both sides.