Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Benjy Nurick (ex CAFC blogger and programme editor - on the move again p8)

Comments

• Options
    Left us for Reading, the ultimate insult 
  • Options
    That's a surprise. Writing for a Reading local paper (at a time when the local press are struggling) doesn't feel like much of a step up. Does he live out that way?
    Not really. There's a lot of difference between proper reporting and working for an in-house publication. Having done both, I'd say the former is far more satisfying in lots of ways.

In any event, it's better to have the range of experience if you are ambitious. I also doubt he was employed on a contract at Charlton.
    I get that, but locals papers aren't what they were. The Reading Chronicle is published by Newsquest, the same company which produces my local paper, which is a pretty mediocre read when compared to the South London Press
  • Options
    That's a surprise. Writing for a Reading local paper (at a time when the local press are struggling) doesn't feel like much of a step up. Does he live out that way?
    Not really. There's a lot of difference between proper reporting and working for an in-house publication. Having done both, I'd say the former is far more satisfying in lots of ways.

In any event, it's better to have the range of experience if you are ambitious. I also doubt he was employed on a contract at Charlton.
    I get that, but locals papers aren't what they were. The Reading Chronicle is published by Newsquest, the same company which produces my local paper, which is a pretty mediocre read when compared to the South London Press
    It’s the experience he will gain … one extra addition to his CV … the Reading Chronicle is just one more step on his journey 
  • Options
    mendonca said:
    Reading!?!

This feels like when Konsa signed for Brentford.
  • Options
    Only so many ways you could work out how to say scum? Understandable. 
  • Options
    edited November 2021
    Disappointed to hear this.
    Had he have moved onto something more worthy of his abilities it wouldn’t have been so bad but this doesn’t seem to be much of a step forward to be honest.
    Good luck to you young fella but it seems a somewhat strange choice, it can’t have much of a circulation……surely. 🤔
  • Options
    Goes onto 'bigger and better things', joins Reading. Probably the most pointless club in the football league!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Goes onto 'bigger and better things', joins Reading. Probably the most pointless club in the football league!
    Didn’t want to say so myself singer ……but you have a good point there.
  • Options
    He's not joining Reading FC, he's covering them for the local paper.

I don't think he was full time at Charlton, "just" editting the programme

This appears to be a full time role.

From what Benjy said this was too good an opportunity to refuse.

Good luck to him.

At least his replacement is proper Charlton 
  • Options
    in the photo was that the Reading training ground? The building in the background looks nice....an upgrade over Sparrows Lane
  • Options
    Yes Henry…..I think we all realise he was joining a local paper and one assumes will now be on a reasonable living wage, which will be a relief to him no doubt.
    So from that perspective it’s a step upwards but carrier wise?Mmmmm……I feel he could have done better.
  • Options
    Good luck to him and thanks for some excellent writing.  Hopefully this will lead him onto greater things.
  • Options
    It never ceases to amaze me the things some people will feel entitled to have an opinion on.

Good luck Benjy, I hope this proves to be an important and worthwhile rung on your career ladder.
    I feel like everyone else, in that I’m entitled to have an opinion on anything and everything.
    Whether I disclose my opinion is another thing altogether.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I don’t think I read a single piece he wrote or video but he certainly seemed well liked and respected by fans judging by the favourable comments he’s received. 

Tough gig to crack into sports reporting, huge competition, though suspect once you get on the PA circuit and get the right contacts and trust then opportunities remain. 
  • Options
    edited November 2021
    Newsquest is the owner of the News Shopper, or what’s left of it after years of cuts and asset stripping.

Reading’s probably the closest competitive  local news market to London - in fact the Chronicle’s just had a rival launch against it. Good gig for Benjy, good luck to him. 
  • Options
    He is going to regret this for the rest of his life.
  • Options
    Rumours that Cawley’s going to Crawley.
  • Options
    I always felt he was overrated anyway...
  • Options
    This is definitely Roddy's doing. 

Reading
    Adkins
    Jacob
    Benji

Geddit?!
  • Options
    THE CURSE IS YOURS NOW, READING