Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Stoke City v Charlton Athletic | Sat 08 Feb | 3pm KO | Match Thread

Comments

• Options
    edited February 2020
    Out of us or Wigan for relegation. 
    Wigan were narrowly beaten by challengers for playoffs.  We're being thrashed by a team that are also relegation fodder.

They have picked up two points per game at home since November. They may look like relegation fodder on the surface but dig deeper and you'll see that today was always going to be difficult.
  • Options
    Otzumer and Doughty on for Williams and Purrington.

Academic I suspect.
  • Options
    Posted at78'

Foul by Jordan Thompson (Stoke City).

Posted at78'

Josh Cullen (Charlton Athletic) wins a free kick in the attacking half.

• Options
    James86 said:
    Relegation scrap due to injuries? I don’t think so. We’re not good enough. Let’s be honest. 
    We’ve had the odd off day here and there all season and no teams wins them all. The reason we’re not comfortably mid table is because we had to play 3 months without 4 of our 5 best players.

Issue for us at the moment is we’ve permanently lost Gallagher and no one in today’s midfield looks likely to replace him. 
  • Options
    That was a red for me
  • Options
    Posh 3 MK 0.........Toney 2
  • Options
    shine166 said:
    The one thing we hoped was that our relegation form was due to our injury crisis.  Now we know it isn't we are in trouble.
    Our form since jan 1st hasn't actually been that bad, if we are going to be a bit more balanced with our criticism and on paper stoke beat us nearly every time with there first team. 
    5 points from 5 matches.  Relegation form.
    Look at the teams we played
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    This is a relegation dogfight isn't it? Because it looks like a top 3 side against relegation strugglers.

Since O'Neill took charge their home record is:

P7 W4 D2 L1 PTS14 / 2 points per game

They are strong at home and their league position is largely down to their poor start under Jones.

Exactly. 

We’ve played proper shit but quite a bit of over reaction on here.
  • Options
    Posted at78'

Corner, Charlton Athletic. Conceded by Tommy Smith.

• Options
    If we can stop being so shit we'll be okay. That's really the only problem.

Once Williams and Taylor are back we'll recapture our form.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Talal said:
    Gallagher made such a difference. 
      Only when Cullen was alongside him.
    Nope. Gallagher was one of the most active midfielders defensively in the league on top of that, quality on the ball. He made everyone else look better.

He was everywhere.
  • Options
    Reading 1 Hull 1
  • Options
    79' Matthews now booked. I'll give them that one. #scfc 3 #cafc 1
  • Options
    Talal said:
    Gallagher made such a difference. 
      Only when Cullen was alongside him.
    Indeed I meant when everyone is fit. I thought Davis alongside Cullen and Pratley would be alright but evidently it's far too defensive with little quality. 
  • Options
    Matthews lucky not to get a red there i think. He was clearly the last man
  • Options
    SSN Charlie shouts
  • Options
    4 yellows for us 0 for them so far. 

Is this ref a 'homer?'
  • Options

BBC’s description of the Stoke 3rd..

“A two-goal buffer for Stoke...

On-loan Manchester City midfielder Matt Smith crosses for Nick Powell to convert at the near post.

Charlton are fuming as they believe a throw-in was wrongly awarded Stoke's way in the build-up to the goal.”

I thought Man City’s Matt Smith was on our bench...

• Options
    Leuth said:
    That was a red for me
    Then you're wrong. 

Another yellow from Cullen 
  • Options
    3-1 up and they've swapped striker for striker, contrast that with what bowyer would do.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    81' Cullen booked for a trip. #scfc 3 #cafc 1
  • Options
    ross1 said:
    SSN Charlie shouts
    False alarm
  • Options
    Out of us or Wigan for relegation. 
    Wigan were narrowly beaten by challengers for playoffs.  We're being thrashed by a team that are also relegation fodder.
    Stoke will finish mid-table i think, they've got a decent side to be fair. No idea what Nathan Jones was doing to have this lot in the bottom 3.
    Yeh, they are doing now what I wish we were - sadly we are going in the wrong direction and have been for 3 months.
  • Options
    Make that 5 yellows for us.
  • Options
    I will say it until I'm blue in the face.

YOU HAVE TO SCORE GOALS TO WIN GAMES. YOU DONT WIN TOO MANY GAMES BY SCORING JUST 1 GOAL.
    YES BUT IF YOU KEEP A CLEAN SHEET YOU DEFINITELY GET ONE POINT AND IF YOU THEN SCORE JUST 1 GOAL YOU GET 3 POINTS. WE HAVE SCORED AS MANY GOALS AS THE TEAM IN 5TH PLACE AND THAT IS NOT THE REASON WE ARE WHERE WE ARE! 
    46 DRAWS WILL PROBABLY GET YOU RELEGATED.
  • Options
    LenGlover said:

Is this ref a 'homer?'
    Matthews' yellow was lucky not to be red. Taylor clattered their full back. Cullen easily a yellow. Can't even remember the others
  • Options
    Croydon said:
    3-1 up and they've swapped striker for striker, contrast that with what bowyer would do.
    Utter bull. Their striker Campbell is just coming back from injury and needs his minutes managing. Against Barnsley we were 2-0 up and swapped taylor for Hemed. What's your point? 
  • Options
    Not only did they bring a striker on but they won a throw and took it quickly. When was the last time we did that while winning a game?
  • Options
    LenGlover said:

Is this ref a 'homer?'
    Matthews' yellow was lucky not to be red. Taylor clattered their full back. Cullen easily a yellow. Can't even remember the others
    Davis going in late, they scored from the fk
  • Options
    Posted at82'

Attempt blocked. Tom Ince (Stoke City) left footed shot from outside the box is blocked.

This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!