Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Nottingham Forest v Charlton Athletic | Tuesday 11 Feb | Post-Match Thread

Comments

• Options
    Great performances all round & a cracking win. I would like to pick out a MOTM but having watched it via the red button I'll have to defer as the picture quality is soooo poor it's like watching it on a 120 Asda's own video cassette.

Have to agree with various posters that it wasnt just a brilliant cross by Sarr but an excellent finish by Taylor. Probably convert 2 or 3 out of 10 with the rest going over the bar or missing it completely. Watch it again & he makes up 10 yards to put it in the back of the net. Superb.

Honourable mentions to Matthews, Dougherty & Oztumer. Hemed tried but I think if Bonne was there instead we would have scored a couple more. Didnt like the tactic of having just Lyle up there on his own for the last 20 mins & didnt think Smith added much 

Onto Saturday. Hate to put a downer on things but Blackburn are in form & would be happy with a point......as long as we then beat Luton the following week.
    Phew!!!.... Was worried about you for a second Golfie till I read that last paragraph ;)

Should be an interesting match up on Saturday, our home record at the moment seems on par with Blackburn's away run of results
  • Options
    I had Taylor to score and Charlton to win 1-0 so definitely had worse nights! 
    You must lose so much money over a season !
    Spend it quick before you give it back.
  • Options
    Pretty sure I saw Lyle wave to the fans at the end while ostentatiously limping.

Sad way to end the night.
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    Comments from the Forest Manager

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nottinghampost.com/sport/football/football-news/nottingham-forest-charlton-sabri-lamouchi-3837514.amp

Only thing I disagree with is the fact that we scored with our only effort in the first half - Doughty forced a good save from Samba whilst we had a few threatening corners

Fair play the rest of what he says though
  • Options
    Pretty sure I saw Lyle wave to the fans at the end while ostentatiously limping.

Probably cramp again 
  • Options

He had every bloody right to be limping
  • Options

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nottinghampost.com/sport/football/football-news/nottingham-forest-charlton-sabri-lamouchi-3837514.amp

Only thing I disagree with is the fact that we scored with our only effort in the first half - Doughty forced a good save from Samba whilst we had a few threatening corners

Oz shot that was palmed away for a corner. Doughty’s centre to Hemed that their centre half did brilliantly to deflect for a corner. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Valley11 said:

Oz shot that was palmed away for a corner. Doughty’s centre to Hemed that their centre half did brilliantly to deflect for a corner. 
    Agreed... I'd say we controlled the game when we went 1-0 up but when Cash / Semedo came on, thats when we were no longer a threat
  • Options
    I had Taylor to score and Charlton to win 1-0 so definitely had worse nights! 
    You must lose so much money over a season !
    Spend it quick before you give it back.
    Why? Even if I had done that bet every time Taylor had started I would be up. 
  • Options
    Valley11 said:

Agreed... I'd say we controlled the game when we went 1-0 up but when Cash / Semedo came on, thats when we were no longer a threat
    Think that was also partly due us deciding to sit back. Whilst I wont moan about anything Bowyer did because tactically he was spot on, I would have looked at bringing on Mount Chucks. 

Taylor and McGeady behind them with a view to quick counters! As I say just a personal opinion but either way we got 3 points, thats the main thing :) 
  • Options
    I was out all day yesterday and only just seen the score. What a result that is!
  • Options
    Too busy celebrating to post last night. That could be a season defining result and, just as importantly, a season defining performance. Hands up, I thought we’d take a pasting after the inept displays against Stoke and Barnsley (yes I know we won but we were pants and very lucky). I had a glimmer of hope when I saw the line ups. Forest clearly thought we were a walk over and the intent, at last, from Bowyer not to just sit deep but to go with two up front to ease the burden on the midfield is what I’ve been desperate to see. I’m no fan of Hemed but the fact that he was there (despite his wastefulness which could have cost us big time) gave us a much better shape. What pleases me was not just that we won but the fact that we went out to win and played much less deep than in previous games. It nearly went pear shaped at the end when there was a reversion to type with the substitutions but we held firm and, if we are being honest, Forest were powderpuff. Best performance in a Charlton shirt from the Nabster. Honourable mentions to everyone including Hemed who I thought was rubbish when on the ball but gave them plenty to think about simply by being there. I hope it’s rustiness rather than the busting of his flush. I’m not personally convinced, but I’m certainly happy to give him the benefit of the doubt regardless of the comments on the match thread by some who think I am blinkered on the subject. Anyhoo, same shape and performance levels on Saturday please lads and things might start to look a whole lot more comfortable. 
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    I think we took a big risk with Smith coming on and not keeping the two up top. Small Margins in Football but similar to the Barnsley game when JFC came on it seemed the wrong Sub. I would have given Bonne 10 to 15 minute so he can be ready to replace Hemed or Green on Saturday when he will surely be involved at some point alongside Taylor.

It's important that victories are analyzed as much as losses, because we need to built momentum and move forward after a fantastic 3 points last night.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    What a fantastic result.
    Hugely important and totally unexpected.
    Congrats to the players, management and our brilliant fans.
  • Options
    Totally agree with all the praise for the team, Sarr, Taylor, Oztumer, Phillips in particular, for Bowyer and also the fans who were brilliant. Won't repeat it.

But I'm going to have one moan. Just don't understand the substitution of Hemed by Smith. The poor lad looked well out of his depth and just ran around fairly pointlessly. With Taylor left without a partner up front, we couldn't keep the ball and it just kept coming straight back. That could have cost us. 

Bonne was on the subs bench. Why not bring him on for the last 20 mins 
    Agree totally about the Hemed substitution. Not that he went off but with who replaced him. Not only was Smith anonymous but with no support for Lyle we dropped a bit deeper and they came onto us a bit more. With two up top I’d have fancied us to get another goal and put it to bed. For twenty minutes I’m sure Aneke or Bonne could have come on.

A small gripe but otherwise I thought we were excellent tonight. Saar was awesome, Matthews shone again, Dills dealt with what efforts they had easily and there wasn’t anyone below an eight for me. Roll on Saturday, just hope w3 don’t fuck it up.
    It was the same with Doughty for Purrington which took all the pace off from the left hand side leaving Forrest free to push on. McGeady for Ozzy made sense as it gave them something to think about, but the last 2 changes caused us to sit deeper and deeper.

Bows does need to look at this negative approach as it causes more problems than it solves.

We should be looking to hold onto the momentum and to drive the opposition back.
  • Options
    After the Stoke disaster I was absolutely convinced we would get well beaten by Forest coming off the back of their 2 - 0 victory over Leeds. What a pleasant surprise to see a well organised and committed display and well earned and deserved win. Three points is always massive when you’re struggling so now we must avoid defeat against Blackburn and really go for the jugular v Luton. 
  • Options
    Smith ahead of JFC in the pecking order now?
  • Options
    We do need to manage such situations better, and hopefully with fewer nerves will be able to do so.

During injury time Dillon kicked long every time, and with Lyle completely isolated he either lost the header or Forest picked up the second ball, and started another attack. We either needed someone alongside Lyle to help keep possession, or we needed to play it shorter, and get one of our technical players like McGeady to try and keep the ball, and earn the freekick.
  • Options
    As an aside, while it was a great finish by Lyle, I don’t think Purrington has got the credit he deserved for his goal on Saturday, because we lost.
    Couldn't agree more. One of our goals of the season. Great move and a superb finish.
  • Options
    Croydon said:
    LenGlover said:
    My Mrs was on her phone checking the score for me. I told her that the ref would add 7 or 8 minutes as we were winning. She told me not to be so stupid. 

I was just willing us not to concede another late goal and even better the wife said 'you were right about the time I can't believe they added so much.' 

Was it justified to add 7 minutes?
    It was only 5, but yes. 6 subs and we had few players go down to waste time.
    It is not so much trying to waste time, it disrupts momentum. The crowd go quiet while the trainer is on and you get a breather.
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    Very good win with more players slowly on their way back - we've had the better of Forest over two games. Avoid defeat against Luton and Huddersfield and we should be good to stay up.