Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Nottingham Forest v Charlton Athletic | Tuesday 11 Feb | Post-Match Thread

Comments

• Options
    Leuth said:
    That picture isn't the goal! 

was about to say the same, not even close to being similar
  • Options
    Leuth said:

Yeah I spotted that when I looked at the video after posting- hence the edit. Cheeky of the Guardian.
  • Options
    No way is Kish's cross comparable to Sarr's
    iaitch said:
    Simonsen said:

World class is absolutely right, I can’t think of a better cross at Charlton. 
    Have a look at Kishishev's in this match, its right at the end.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uBFepqhT3zY

Dazzler21 said:

• Options
    Fantastic all round performance despite a couple of players being a bit below par. What won it for us was that we played on the front foot for pretty much the whole game. I think Bowyer took on board the justified criticism after Saturday and decided we should have a go rather than sit back and hope for a goal on the break.
    It looks like the players much prefer playing that way too. All that defensive bollocks just makes them nervous.
    Totally agree that being more positive from the outset made a difference. 
    Someone must read CL because most of the comments in the preview thread were along those lines :-)
    Best not to get too carried away, because yesterday bucked the trend of poor performances home and away.
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    JamesSeed said:
    Leuth said:

Yeah I spotted that when I looked at the video after posting- hence the edit. Cheeky of the Guardian.
    Send the Sports editor an email James, telling him that our 5k members will be instructed not to buy his paper unless a full apology is posted in tomorrow's edition with a correct picture of the goal 😉.
  • Options
    What one of the angles shows is Naby looking up and seeing the pass before he makes it. It shows how good he really is. When he has people showing for him, that is when he works. If there is nothing on, he clearly isn't going to look so good.
     He read the entire game well last night.

Had he conceded that own goal and still played as he did he'd still be good value for an 8.5

• Options
    Phillips as good as we're coming to expect
    Lockyer: awful passing, as usual
    Pearce: better from him than recently which he had to be
    Sarr: quite a bit more of the excellent Naby than the excrement version, owes DP a pint or 2 for the save
    Matthews: much better than Saturday
    Cullen: not resumed the heights of this time last year but he's alright
    Oztumer: loves playing against forest, didn't quite come off for him but he's an able stand in for JW
    Davis: a very able stand in for Pratley, especially walking the tightrope of a 2nd yellow for so long
    Doughty: very decent attacking play, not so much his defending, nevertheless a star of the future 
    Taylor:  almost back to his best, industrious as always
    Hemed: weak, wasteful, wheezy and wayward
    McGeady: didn't see a lot of him really
    Purrington: shored things up usefully
    Referee: no protection at all for Charlton's front 2

Smith: n/a  first night nerves? wearing someone else's boots? forgot his contact lenses? hopefully all 3.  We'll all have to pretend that debut didn't happen, take it as a Mulligan or smthn.
  • Options
    LouisMend said:
    This is what Bowyer said of Hemed last night
    all very well but TH doesn't play if either MB or AG is fit
    bit of skilled man management there, that's a virtual 'arm around the shoulder' if ever I heard it
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    What a great win - have to say that I expected it though.

Listened to the MNC ob Fivelive the other day, and they were interviewing the local Forest BBC reporter and Kris Commons (ex Forest I believe), and they all seemed to think that the Charlton game would be a formality, and that it was WBA and other fixtures that would be more problematic.

This may explain why they decided to rest five players, and thus lose momentum and traction from the Leeds game at the weekend.

'Never fuck with the form' is what all of the old pro's say, and I think that is what Forest have done here.

Older posters may remember our 99/00 promotion year, when we welcomed Swindon to the Valley late in the season, who were not only bottom of the table, but also going through serious financial difficuluties as well.

If memory serves, we may have even paid for their Youth Team to get a coach up that morning, so that they could play our lads.

Anyhow, despite all of our charitable donations, Swindon then decided to turn us over 1-0, and we all went home feeling like we had been mugged by a Vicar!

Yep, Kiely og.
  • Options
    Interesting player marks in The Times' report of the game. Purrington 5. Phillips, Matthews, Davis, McGeady and Cullen 6. Lockyer, Pearce, Oztumer and Doughty 7. Sarr and Taylor 8. The Notts Forest scores were mostly 5s and 6s wit 7 for Lolley and Silva.
  • Options
    Delighted to make my Debut!
    The Lads dug deep
    ,Fantastic travelling fans,safe journey home

• Options
    That was a big one tonight boys gave everything again! Well done to
    and
    on an unreal assist!
    thanks to you that travelled.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Taylor strikes as the Addicks take a well-deserved three points back to London.
  • Options
    Lolley gets 7 for running with intent and pelting crosses with his weaker foot as hard as anything for throw ins!
  • Options
    You never can tell .. best performance of the season, at least so far as I have seen .. super all round team performance .. Taylor's energy is incredible and we are a 100% better when he is in ..  Sarr at last looked like he knows what he's meant to be doing .. defence looked stronger, just a great team effort .. we looked strong all over the field and the team selection showed the new depth of the squad and Bowyer's ability to pick horses for courses.
    Whinge time .. I am still a little concerned that for the last 10/15 minutes we tend to go into our defensive shell and put ourselves under pressure, a little bit risky with just a 1 goal lead .. still, last night it worked.
    Lamouchi the Forest manager treated us with, I feel some disrespect. He left out 5 of the team which had just beaten Leeds, perhaps thinking that lil ol Charlton were no threat and 3 points were assured .. His team looked all over the place and was outplayed .. that'll teach him
  • Options
    Nadou said:
    Interesting player marks in The Times' report of the game. Purrington 5. Phillips, Matthews, Davis, McGeady and Cullen 6. Lockyer, Pearce, Oztumer and Doughty 7. Sarr and Taylor 8. The Notts Forest scores were mostly 5s and 6s wit 7 for Lolley and Silva.
    I saw that and thought OK but unfair on Purrington .. Doughty was having trouble against danger man Lolley and was replaced by Purry, who kept him pretty much under control .. so give Purry a 7 ((:>) .. as for £o££ey and Cash .. not worth the money lol and Bong ? .. he should stop smoking
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    Nadou said:
    No mark for Hemed is a bit harsh.
    he got a 7 .. well deserved as he put a good shift in without a lot of success
  • Options
    Stig said:
    So pleased for my son who made his first solo away trip tonight. Well, not quite solo, he took three mates. Let's hope they get bitten by the bug too.
    Cool. My first ever away match was at Forest in 1986. Lost 4-0.
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    Watching on video it looked like Lyle just stuck out a foot for the goal, but in the pic from the Guardian it was a full blooded volley. That’s some technique. [Edit: Having looked at the video again, not sure the photo is of the goal? Looks like three defenders round him in the photo, but only one or two in the vid? Yeah, not the goal. Naughty Guardian]

The Guardian’s headline was ‘Forest blow it at home to lowly Charlton’ :-(
    Ahhhhh been a while since we were called ‘lowly’.
    Used to be so standard pre premier league days I actually thought our name was ‘Lowly Charlton Athletic’ 🙄
  • Options
    Love the smile on Naby's face in that vid!
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    Watching on video it looked like Lyle just stuck out a foot for the goal, but in the pic from the Guardian it was a full blooded volley. That’s some technique. [Edit: Having looked at the video again, not sure the photo is of the goal? Looks like three defenders round him in the photo, but only one or two in the vid? Yeah, not the goal. Naughty Guardian]

The Guardian’s headline was ‘Forest blow it at home to lowly Charlton’ :-(
    Ahhhhh been a while since we were called ‘lowly’.
    Used to be so standard pre premier league days I actually thought our name was ‘Lowly Charlton Athletic’ 🙄
    Sorry, Jim Davidson won't have that he's called us Charlton Nil for donkeys yonks 😉