Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Nottingham Forest v Charlton Athletic | Tuesday 11 Feb | Post-Match Thread

Comments

• Options
    Shit journey up, but had a decent booze in a little pub behind Trent Bridge. Got to the ground freezing my nuts off and had little faith we would get something. 

Thought Forest had the opening few minutes then we really settled into the game. Best I’ve seen us pass the ball, especially out of tight areas for a long time. I said last week I’d like to see Hemed start and get the ball into his body/feet, and I was right. His hold up play was superb. Taylor was ridiculous and took his goal really well. Oztumer is a tricky little bastard, never gonna be strong in battles but he does offer something different. 

Cullen and Davis won the midfield battle hands down. I don’t think Forest got the ball into their forwards from central areas, so they protected our back 3 superbly.

Doughty had a mixed night but Matthews was brilliant. Purrington did extremely well when he came on, especially as Forest concentrated their attacks down their right. 

Pearce was back to his best, winning his battles and played little a proper skipper. Lockyer is consistently good and is becoming a top class champ defender. Then we got Nabby. What a cross. Defended like a lion. His best game for us. Philips with top shithousery, love it.

Bowyer got it spot on tonight after coming into a bit of stick.

Lastly our fans. What a brilliant night around some people ive never seen before in my life but all having a proper laugh and getting behind the boys. The poor ginger kid in their end tried to give it and ended up getting absolutely destroyed.

Wont get home till 1am. Up at 6am. Fuck it, what a win. 
    I did wonder who the ‘you’re just a shit Ed Sheeran’ was for lol
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    Completely agree that watching it on the red button transformed me back to my teenage self watching match of the day on my tiny black and white portable! Jaysus it was pony 😳

But I love Rob Palmer doing the solo commentary. He is very good, almost as good as my Bruv.

I was convinced they’d get a fully undeserved last minute equaliser though and leave me feeling awful. They were exactly the same as when they were at the Valley. How are they where they are??

I love football, I really do.

LLLBH
  • Options
    Hard to explain a near faultless defensive display this evening up against some of the really dodgy matches recently. Well done though lads. That’s got to help confidence big time.
    Probably something to do with both Forest strikers Grabban & Ameobi being out injured.
  • Options
    Sarr was fantastic today. Taylor didnt stop chasing up front. He kept urging Hemed forward to close down.... gave up and chased it down himself. Felt sorry for him. Can only assume Hemed was sticking to instructions. Great win.
    More like Hemed's legs have nearly gone.
    I can't see us giving him another contract (hope not anyway).
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I know I've just laughed at the form guide but oh look :)

https://thefishy.co.uk/formtable.php?table=2
    It just shows the value of having a goalscorer in the team.
    Birmingham top the form table having signed Scott Hogan on loan from Villa.
    3 goals, 3 wins, in 3 league games.
  • Options
    Hemed worked hard but was very wayward with his passing and shooting. Not sure I saw any improvement from seeing Davison play?
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    I thought he worked hard yesterday and that helped the team. Neither of his chances were that easy, but I think he might be disapointed he didn't do better with at least one of them.
  • Options
    Come on be honest......after Saturday who saw that coming?
    I thought we'd draw 1-1, before I saw Forest had made 6 changes & no first choice strikers, so not a complete surprise.
    Forest were always likely to be taking us easy squeezed in the middle of games against the top 2 (Leeds & WBA).
  • Options
    I thought he worked hard yesterday and that helped the team. Neither of his chances were that easy, but I think he might be disapointed he didn't do better with at least one of them.
    Taylor was constantly telling Hemed to chase back and run players down but ended up having to do it himself. 
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    Purely my judgement from what I could see last night, is that Hamed and Taylor struggle together. Taylor had his arms in the air a few times after Hamed fluffed his lines.
     TBF to Hamed, Taylor did lay one ball into him that was literally down his throat, and then threw his arms in the air when he failed to produce with it.

For all that though he is strong as an ox and holds it up well. I think he was involved in the build up to the goal, maybe indirectly.
    one for the tough away games when we need an outlet.
  • Options
    Great night for our great fans. We were superb all over the pitch. How many miles did Lyle run tonight? We've got to keep him at all costs. As for Naby it's all been said already, but if he played like that every game he would be in the Premier League.
    Naby can be an excellent player when he is allowed to play & free to roam.
    Last night he was excellent, the MOM.

The thing is Forest had no one up front to trouble him.
    The real test comes again when he has to mark a good player.

Anyway, I don't want to sound churlish, so once again, very well done Naby.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    For the first time this season we have real competition for the two main strikers/forwards. Taylor and Bonne are my choices but form should dictate. The stats will inform plus what you see. A striker like Hemed needs goals as his doesn't have the attributes of Green( a winger turned into a striker) or Bonne's goals and work rate. 
    Davidson is a work in progress and would be good to see him get game time from the bench as we move up the table. ( Fingers crossed for both those predictions)

Aneke should be a striker with his physic, a non season so far for Chuks, But time still on his side to show what he can do.

The embarrassment of seeing a young lad from Enfield as our only striker should now be over with better days ahead as we look to the forwards to shine.

Two up top against Blackburn.
  • Options
    Great win, and not expected. Well done the players and respect to those who made the midweek journey to and from Nottingham
  • Options
    Just goes to show, if you put a decent ball into the box, Lyle would be a 30 goals a year striker. We haven’t had anyone to do that in years. If only we had a Paddy Powell ... sigh 
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    Come on be honest......after Saturday who saw that coming?
    I had us down to win it 2-1,knew we would mix it up with the big boys.Bowyer woulda gave them & himself a right rollicking after Saturdays performance...& boy didn’t they all show up...👏👏👏
  • Options
    Awesome performance. Neutrals in the pub last night were asking why we are where we are if we can play like that. Forest were poor in the first half and worse in the second. Bad news is, guess who's going to be at the next two games...

Sorry in advance chaps.  
    You're barred I tell ye @Algarveaddick .............BARRED! 😉
  • Options
    I thought we were outstanding tonight, I was really pleased Hemed got a run out, but he looked so rusty he looked like he should have been sprayed with WD40.
    I'm glad you said that. I thought it was only me with most others singing his praises.
    Looks like his legs have nearly gone to me.
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    Watching on video it looked like Lyle just stuck out a foot for the goal, but in the pic from the Guardian it was a full blooded volley. That’s some technique. [Edit: Having looked at the video again, not sure the photo is of the goal? Looks like three defenders round him in the photo, but only one or two in the vid? Yeah, not the goal. Naughty Guardian]

The Guardian’s headline was ‘Forest blow it at home to lowly Charlton’ :-(
  • Options
    That picture isn't the goal! 
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    I thought we were outstanding tonight, I was really pleased Hemed got a run out, but he looked so rusty he looked like he should have been sprayed with WD40.
    I'm glad you said that. I thought it was only me with most others singing his praises.
    Looks like his legs have nearly gone to me.
    Shame you can't watch the first half again as I'm pretty sure Hemed's first four or five contributions were very positive. Was it three wayward shots he had though? If one of those had flown in it'd have massively helped his cause.
    Naby's now top of the assists table, and third top goalscorer btw.