Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Nottingham Forest v Charlton Athletic | Tuesday 11 Feb | Post-Match Thread

Comments

• Options
    What a great win - have to say that I expected it though.

Listened to the MNC ob Fivelive the other day, and they were interviewing the local Forest BBC reporter and Kris Commons (ex Forest I believe), and they all seemed to think that the Charlton game would be a formality, and that it was WBA and other fixtures that would be more problematic.

This may explain why they decided to rest five players, and thus lose momentum and traction from the Leeds game at the weekend.

'Never fuck with the form' is what all of the old pro's say, and I think that is what Forest have done here.

Older posters may remember our 99/00 promotion year, when we welcomed Swindon to the Valley late in the season, who were not only bottom of the table, but also going through serious financial difficuluties as well.

If memory serves, we may have even paid for their Youth Team to get a coach up that morning, so that they could play our lads.

Anyhow, despite all of our charitable donations, Swindon then decided to turn us over 1-0, and we all went home feeling like we had been mugged by a Vicar!

This is so true - and it applies at all levels!

One time my team here were top of the table and we played a team away from home that had not won for two seasons.

We thought it would be a cakewalk so we 'rested' four of our best players and turned up there thinking it would be easy.

Our skipper scored an own goal in the first minute and we never looked like equalising and lost 1-0.

Never take the piss out of the game!
  • Options
    Stig said:
    So pleased for my son who made his first solo away trip tonight. Well, not quite solo, he took three mates. Let's hope they get bitten by the bug too.
    And this, my friend, is what it is all about! Love it. 
  • Options
    Sarr sets up a goal then 2 mins later nearly scores an own goal - the guy can have moments of sublime skill but other moments of complete crap.
  • Options
    After the disaster that was Stoke away I had a feeling we'd do much better at Forest (we could hardly do worse).  "Leeds away, Reza showing he wasn't useless" came to mind.  Thankfully, we got the same result with the added bonus a performance they could be proud of.

Has Davis set a new record of bookings in his first two appearances?
  • Options
    In your opinion 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Listened to the MNC ob Fivelive the other day, and they were interviewing the local Forest BBC reporter and Kris Commons (ex Forest I believe), and they all seemed to think that the Charlton game would be a formality, and that it was WBA and other fixtures that would be more problematic.

This may explain why they decided to rest five players, and thus lose momentum and traction from the Leeds game at the weekend.

'Never fuck with the form' is what all of the old pro's say, and I think that is what Forest have done here.

Older posters may remember our 99/00 promotion year, when we welcomed Swindon to the Valley late in the season, who were not only bottom of the table, but also going through serious financial difficuluties as well.

If memory serves, we may have even paid for their Youth Team to get a coach up that morning, so that they could play our lads.

Anyhow, despite all of our charitable donations, Swindon then decided to turn us over 1-0, and we all went home feeling like we had been mugged by a Vicar!

We also donated the "raffle ticket" money for their youth team to play in a tournament somewhere, possibly the Milk Cup in NI.  A big case of hubris, I think, and it came back to bite us on the arse.
  • Options

We also donated the "raffle ticket" money for their youth team to play in a tournament somewhere, possibly the Milk Cup in NI.  A big case of hubris, I think, and it came back to bite us on the arse.
    That great sense of being affronted that they took the points even though we had paid for their youth to be in a tournament.  I think if we had won we would have set s consecutive wins record for the club! Just bad manners on their part
  • Options
    Proper rollercoaster
  • Options
    Bowyer has to realise Naby is our best centre half and stick with him. We are much better with him in the side.

I am sure this is a crazy thought... but I wonder if he actually might make a good ACM?
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    Two things I love about the highlights (sorry if a repost)....
    1. The way Taylor points to Sarr for the assist. "All for one, one for all" I feel  we've been missing some of lately.
    2. Listen to the NOISE after the goal from just 805 away fans! Wow!
  • Options
    Fantastic win - an absolute bonus three points and our first away clean sheet all season I believe?

Keeping Taylor was crucial, if he goes in the summer to make some cash then fair enough, I can't blame him for that. If his two seasons here involve one promotion and then Championship safety then that's top work.

We now have 36 points so only really need another couple of wins to be safe - maybe even less than that.

Here are the points required to stay up for the last six seasons....

2019 - 41

2018 - 42

2017 - 52

2016 - 41

2015 - 42

2014 - 45

...we have to see how it goes but if Wigan collapse then we may only need low 40's to stay up, but with our current points total even one point per game from here on in still gets us to 50 points which would surely make us safe.
    Clean sheet at Reading.
  • Options
    Fantastic all round performance despite a couple of players being a bit below par. What won it for us was that we played on the front foot for pretty much the whole game. I think Bowyer took on board the justified criticism after Saturday and decided we should have a go rather than sit back and hope for a goal on the break.
    It looks like the players much prefer playing that way too. All that defensive bollocks just makes them nervous.
    Agree that we were more positive but can’t agree that we had a go. 
  • Options
    Just didn't expect to see that result (or any positive result) this morning after Barnsley and Stoke.

Me of little faith. Delighted to be wrong.

Superb performance!!
    Isn't that just like us though, to turn up against the top sides but inexplicably struggle against the strugglers!
    What a result though, I should have had more faith.
    A lot more confident for Saturday now,
  • Options
    Great win, but lets be honest Forest were really poor and we gave the ball away a lot! Can't be doing that on Saturday.

How bad was Carl Jenkinson by the way? Rapid decline.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    1StevieG said:
    That red button though. That wasn’t even standard definition more like retro 80’s definition. At one point I lost track of the ball because there wasn’t enough pixels in the TV.
    It's awful quality to watch and it felt like their faces have been covered up or made fuzzy to hide their identity! Yet the highlights later were as clear as anything. 
  • Options
    That near own goal wasn't crap though. There was nothing wrong with his defending with that. He may even have prevented a goal there.
    Anybody at the game.confirm if dillon got a touch on that???

I watched on sky and could barely make out if it was Pearce or Sarr that actually blocked the shot. 
  • Options

I seem to remember that in the bookies behind the covered end you could get the same odds for Swindon to win 1-0 as you could for Charlton to win 6-0 that day.
    Ridiculous freak result. Especially as Deano put the ball in his own net. And it ended our run of 12 wins too, I think!
    Oh, and Willie Carson giving it the biggun at half time too! What a strange day.  :D
    I think Guys according to the forest website 
    they rested two players and not five as three were
    injured.

we rested Green and Willians and look at the team we played 👍👍👍
    we fielded our first real strong squad since October 
    and we beat Forest.
    this team would have beaten stoke with ease last Saturday.
    come on you reds !!!
  • Options

I live about 30 miles from Swindon and never forget that day... On that morning the local radio had a reporter on the fans coach that was travelling to the valley. They interviewed several people on the bus who all predicted a thrashing.

I never saw their goal as I was looking at my programme when they won their throw in that led to the goal. 

I work with a couple of Swindon fans who say the club never forgot our gesture and we are their second club. 
  • Options
    Great win, but lets be honest Forest were really poor and we gave the ball away a lot! Can't be doing that on Saturday.

How bad was Carl Jenkinson by the way? Rapid decline.
    Didn't think Jenkinson was any worse than anyone else in the Forest team last night. Managed to bring the ball out from the back with pace a few times, which is something I'd love to see our defenders do. 
  • Options
    Most important 3 points of the season so far after the collective malfunction against Stoke where we looked devoid of passion and skill. 
    Team sport is still reliance on X factor players to win games: Lyle Taylor and Naby Sarr's combo was a coupling so mesmeric, it was orgasmic to the Charlton faithful who had gone from the nadir of Stoke to the Zenith of Nottingham. 

Beautiful.
  • Options
    Come on be honest......after Saturday who saw that coming?
    Certainly not Sabri Lamouchi. Write Lee Bowyer's boys off at your peril!
  • Options
    Most other teams in this league,will now be getting tired.Their best players will have played 25-30 games,ours will have played half of that.With Cullen and Williams probably a game or two away from their best and the obvious advantage of having a fired up Taylor,we can now look forward to a top half finish,please just dont mess it up saturday.
  • Options
    Having now seen the goal on Sky Sports (I was watching on the 1-camera red button last night, which is mainly a terrible experience) I have to say what an absolute 'peach' of a cross by Naby and what a stunning first time finish.....has to be contender for goal of the season for CAFC!!

• Options
    Totally agree with all the praise for the team, Sarr, Taylor, Oztumer, Phillips in particular, for Bowyer and also the fans who were brilliant. Won't repeat it.

But I'm going to have one moan. Just don't understand the substitution of Hemed by Smith. The poor lad looked well out of his depth and just ran around fairly pointlessly. With Taylor left without a partner up front, we couldn't keep the ball and it just kept coming straight back. That could have cost us. 

Bonne was on the subs bench. Why not bring him on for the last 20 mins 
    agree with this, Smith looked absolutely lost out there, Bonne was the natural sub - to be honest I don't really 'get' Hemed at all, don't feel he adds much to the side at all