Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v Middlesbrough | Sat 07 Mar | 3pm KO | Match Preview, Predictions, News & Views

Charlton Athletic v Middlesbrough
Saturday 7th March 2020 … 3pm Kick-Off
Referee: Stephen Martin (prev. games: Derby | Middlesbrough | Fulham)

Introduction
Charlton return to the Valley this weekend after a harsh lesson on the road – Defeats against Sheffield Wednesday and Huddersfield have once again proven how tough this league is yet it will be the manner of the performances that’ll have disappointed Management, players and fans alike… It means that the hard work from our recent three wins have been thrown away, yet it’s also a sign that with still ten games left we shouldn’t start preparing for League One just yet!!

The Opposition
Name: Middlesbrough (22nd) | Manager: Jonathan Woodgate
Ground: Riverside Stadium
Previous Result: Middlesbrough 1-0 Charlton Athletic

Whilst our last two performances have been poor, I think it’s safe to say that nothing has been as poor as the Charlton showing at the Riverside Stadium in December!! – The Addicks would travel to North Yorkshire well and truly in a run of poor form, winless in two months and playing the kids it was the type of performance that didn’t see Charlton threaten until the last five minutes of the game… Joe Ledley’s disastrous sole appearance the biggest memory of that miserable day.

If we learnt anything from that fixture though it wasn’t that Charlton were surely in a relegation battle yet confirmed that Middlesbrough themselves would surely be involved in any battle to survive – Their problem that day, and this season, is the fact they struggle to score goals and thus struggle to kill teams off… Stats only tell half a story yet with eight wins they’ve the joint lowest number in the league whilst only Derby and Millwall have drawn more, proof of that inability to see out games was shown on Monday night; Nottingham Forest earning a late draw and so preserving our own status in 20th place.

A bit like when Barnsley and Luton visited the Valley… this is a game where first goal scorer will be so important

Charlton Team News
November and December would see our form struggle because of injuries to key players, kids would be forced into action (despite being unready and inexperienced for this level) so there was always a disadvantage for Charlton whenever we took to the pitch – Since our game against Fulham though that has changed, we’ve been able to bring in more experienced players yet it’s our form on the road that remains a heavy concern with it being oh so important.

After all we can’t rely on five wins at the Valley to preserve our status at this tier of English Football

So on to Saturday who do we pick? – Tom Lockyer will see out the last of his two match ban whilst Darren Pratley could return in the centre of midfield after missing through injury (It’ll be imperative that he doesn’t earn a booking what with the yellow card count resetting for the final time after this weekend). Finally you’d hope that Jonny Williams is ready to start, his appearance against Huddersfield showed we win so many set pieces whenever he’s on the pitch

Phillips
Matthews | Oshilaja | Pearce | Purrington
Cullen | Pratley | Lapslie
Williams
Green | Taylor

Substitutes Bench: Amos | Doughty | Oztumer | Davis | McGeady | Bonne | Hemed

Prediction
With two depressing defeats on the road you’d hope that we see a Charlton team truly fired up come 3pm on Saturday afternoon – Middlesbrough themselves could equally be fired up, they’ll be hurting after conceding so late on Monday night so may put in a response and so earn a first win of 2020!!

*Seeing that I'm posting before the weekly Press Conference there may be amendments to my Line-Up following Bowyer's comments

Comments

• Options
    Cawley saying Pratley has trained all week but Sarr won't be back.
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    Cawley saying Pratley has trained all week but Sarr won't be back.
    Looks like I wont need to make changes then as it was Sarr that I was waiting to hear on

Although just realised I'd left Lapslie out of the team
  • Options
    The two defeats and more importantly their manner means much as I hate the phrase this looks like a must-win.

Difficult to see us picking up many more points on the road given those two performances so we're putting all our chips into the home games, which is far from ideal.

We managed to win the two previous 'six-pointers' so all the pressure is on making it three out of three.

First goal vital as ever. Not sure this team has the character to come back from behind and win
  • Options
    0.2...........defensive mistakes are costly once again. 
  • Options
    1-1
  • Options
    I don’t care how we do it, we just have to win. No excuses. Just go for it. Best form of defence is attack. Park the bus, get the goalie sent off, get the replacement goalie sent off, get the defenders sent off, anything we need to do to win, just do it. 

Do I sound desperate? 
  • Options
    0-2. Not good enough. More defensive mistakes.
  • Options
    2-1 to Charlton, they are in poor form and we seem to do better at home.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Good preview as always thanks. I'm feeling very down about this one.  Seminal season defining weekend.  With the right sequence of results, all of which are eminently possible, the table could look a whole lot rosier for us come five o'clock on Saturday. The wrong sequence of results doesn't bear thinking about it.  We need to be right up for this and on the front foot. I really hope I'm wrong but I just can't see us winning this.  I'm usually wrong so take heart lads and lassies.
  • Options
    Despite her unbeaten record (3 wins 1 draw) I couldn't persuade my girlfriend that 4 busses to get from South West London to South East London was a good idea. So I am going with a mate I often go with. I've just worked out that we have sat together 12 times this season and only won 2 of those. Oops. If we dont win then I am banning him to the East stand.
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    Comfortable home win 4-0.
    If there's any game where we need a comfortable home win 4-0, this is it. @happyvalley has to be right sometimes. Let's hope it's this one.
  • Options
    Boro looked decent v Forest and were unlucky to get just a point .. however, we have done well v Forest this season so Monday's game is not really a true benchmark. 
    They have a good attack so our defence needs to be 100% better than of late. I would say that on paper they are much better than us .. all together now .. BUT games ain't played on paper.
    Surprising that Boro are having such a bad season. There will be no old manager mates reunion when they arrive at the Valley for a REAL 6 pointer .. we'll win this

CAFC 2 v Middlebrough 1
  • Options
    Great Preview as usual.

We are on a bad run of form I thought Luton was a turning point but it hasn't worked out. It's now imperative that we win our home games and try and just string a few results together. I am confident we can get out of this but we will need to see a return to the fight, committeemen and team spirit we expect to see under Bowyer.

Amongst all this we have to remember we are up against a team with significantly more resources than us and significantly more championship experience. They may not have spent so much this season ( a couple of Mill on 3 or 4 players including Dijksteel) but their wage budget is significantly higher than ours and they have the likes of Assombalonga who they paid £16m for a couple of years ago and earn almost ten times what Taylor does.

In terms of the side we should put out I think Bow will return to his favoured diamond formation. Without Sarr we simply cannot go 3 at the back, no way can Pearce play that Left of a 3 role and Pratley should only play in the middle of the 3. Pratley back is a boost and he has to start. A week off will no doubt have done Alfie a world of good so I would be tempted to start him at home (and rest him for away games). Williams back is also a huge boost and he has to start. Taylor to be captain - I dont care that Pearce and Pratley are on the pitch we need Lyle to be fired up and to lead by example. WHERE IS ANEKE??!! Bowyer spoke a couple of weeks ago about how his fitness drops very quickly if he isnt playing but then he hasnt appeared for the U23s or on the bench. He has to add more than McGeady from the bench.

As has been the case of late its much less about formations than it is about intent. We need to be agressive, brave, get high up the pitch and take the game to them. Bonne is a finisher and we need to give him some service - keep him on their CB's allow Taylor to roam as he does. For this to work the midfield needs to get high up the pitch and press well - Lappo is key to that working. 

Taylor Bonne
    Williams
    Lapslie Cullen
    Pratley
    Doughty Pearce Oshilaja Matthews
    Phillips

Amos Purrington Davis Smith Oztumer Aneke Green

If we start with Green I would like to see us go 4231

3-1 Charlton and the march for the playoffs is back on
    That defence is too weak. Doughty is not a left back so I would have Purrington there instead. Oshilaja was directly or indirectly responsible for 3 goals last week so I would prefer not to have him in, but it may be unavoidable.
  • Options
    As I said on another thread, we will have had 53 hours more recovery time than Boro and they are in no better form than us, in fact worse. We really do need to make this game count.

A real shame if Sarr is out. Pearce makes me more nervous than Naby at this level. Also think it is time to rest Doughty and have him on the bench. If Pratley is back that is a big plus. Ever since the last month of last season we have seen what a positive influence he can have on this team. I wonder if he even might be an option next to Pearce instead of Oshilaja? Might save him from having to put as many miles in his legs for his first game back.
  • Options

We are likely to bottle it.

0-2

Our season is cursed.

• Sponsored links:

• Options

Another great preview FA, it's going to interesting to see who Bowyer leaves out after last Saturdays result and his comments. I'd go for

Taylor Bonne
    Williams
    Lapslie Cullen
    Pratley
    Purrington Pearce Oshilaja Matthews
    Phillips

Substitutes Bench: Amos | Doughty | Oztumer | Davis | Smith | Green | Hemed

2 -1 Charlton , Taylor and Bonne with one each.

• Options
    Despite her unbeaten record (3 wins 1 draw) I couldn't persuade my girlfriend that 4 busses to get from South West London to South East London was a good idea. So I am going with a mate I often go with. I've just worked out that we have sat together 12 times this season and only won 2 of those. Oops. If we dont win then I am banning him to the East stand.
    FFS ! 

Can't we organise a quick CL whip round to get her a cab ????

Anybody living relatively local and wants to get a cab to the game. Download Bolt and enter the following code:

6C1BC6

This would get you a free trip up to £12.

• Options
    FFS ! 

Least she's proper Charlton and knows the only way to attend a game by Public Transport is via. train!!
  • Options
    Two of the dullest clubs in history play out a real dull 0-0
  • Options
    FFS ! 

Least she's proper Charlton and knows the only way to attend a game by Public Transport is via. train!!
    There are no bloody trains that's the problem!
  • Options
    What happened to Aneke? Did he get injured again?

Last i saw/heard he was banging them in for the reserves.
  • Options
    Terrified of a Pearce and Oshilaja partnership. 
  • Options

Sounds like they've got a few injuries, can only hope Fletcher is part of that list too. I hear he's touch and go.

At least that will slightly compensate our Oshilaja and Pearce partnership if he is absent.