Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v Middlesbrough | Sat 07 Mar | 3pm KO | Match Preview, Predictions, News & Views

Comments

• Options
    3-0 to Boro with two late goals. We have two shots on target and 35% possession. Pratley gets sent off.
  • Options
    3-0 to Boro with two late goals. We have two shots on target and 35% possession. Pratley gets sent off.
    Timetraveller?
  • Options
    Based on the words of The Curbishley, stop the loses.

Phillips
    Solly Oshilaja Pearce Purrington

Mathews Cullen Pratley Doughty
                         Williams

Taylor.

All know how to defend and would allow Cullen to move forward with Williams to join Taylor. Mathews and Doughty are good enough going forward as well.
  • Options
    Back to basics as others have said.  Not really sure how Bowyer will line up given the ban for Lockyer and injury to Sarr.

Philips 

Matthews | Oshilaja | Pearce | Doughty 

Pratley 

Cullen | Lapslie

Williams 

Taylor Bonne 

Pearce will be at his agricultural best against Gestede, Oshilaja will manage to shine and Cullen and Pratley will look smoother in the centre as Lapslie does a lot of running 

Macauley Bonne and 1-0 to us. Believe 
  • Options
    Assombalonga and Fletcher both fit for M/bro
  • Options
    ross1 said:
    Assombalonga and Fletcher both fit for M/bro
    Of course they bloody are!!
  • Options
    At least Gestede may not play. He'd absolutely dominate Pearce and Oshilaja in the air. 
  • Options
    Just when we thought that Barnsley and Luton were must win games, this seems even more so as defeat could well see us in the bottom 3 for the first time this season.

We have to start with Bonne and Taylor, our two top scorers, and probably Purrington left back. Ditch the diamond and go 442.

2 -0 to the Addicks, Taylor and Bonne.
  • Options
    Fancy there being a late goal in this game, hopefully us for a change, think Sarr's goal against QPR is the only one which has gone our way this season 
  • Options
    West Brom away was another 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited March 2020
    Looking forward to the usual tossers referring to bedwetters and doom merchants when we lose.
  • Options
    Sage said:
    Phillips
    Matthews Oshilaja Pearce Purrington
    Cullen
    Pratley Forster-Caskey
    Williams
    Taylor Bonne

Amos, Solly, Doughty, Davis, Oztumer, Aneke, Green

That’s what I would go for, but I think we will see McGeady, Lapslie, and Hemed in the squad. But would really like to see Aneke back in the squad for this.

Forster-Caskey to start to allow for more natural balance, experience, and support for both Pearce and Purrington. He will have the freedom to go forward to put good crosses into the box as well due to having Cullen and Pratley in the team. It’s also another player capable of putting a good set-piece in too. Unfortunately, too often they have been poor and we know he can do it.

Aneke to come on and bully them and force us higher up the pitch. Green to come on and stretch them in behind.

This team has experience, leaders, and players who genuinely care, rather than those who joined just over a month ago and haven’t done anything to warrant a spot in the team.

Back to basics, use our strengths and the balance of the side. Use the crowd to our advantage and we will get a result.

Nervy game but a late goal makes it comfortable at the end.

Charlton Athletic 2-0 Middlesbrough
    Taylor x2

Like this squad. Doughty needs a rest and Purrington better defender IMO. Doughty needs to play further up the field. Oztumer to come on for Williams as he won't last 90 and open them up. 

• Options
    Talal said:
    At least Gestede may not play. He'd absolutely dominate Pearce and Oshilaja in the air. 
    He's just back from injury. First game back was against Forest......and scored. Probably do the same on Saturday.

I was trying to be upbeat & with our home record go for a 2-0 win. Now having posted the above I'm not so sure...

Fuck it.  3-2 Gested double for them & Taylor, Wiliams & Green for us.
  • Options
    Sage said:
    Phillips
    Cullen
    Pratley Forster-Caskey
    Williams
    Taylor Bonne

That’s what I would go for, but I think we will see McGeady, Lapslie, and Hemed in the squad. But would really like to see Aneke back in the squad for this.

Forster-Caskey to start to allow for more natural balance, experience, and support for both Pearce and Purrington. He will have the freedom to go forward to put good crosses into the box as well due to having Cullen and Pratley in the team. It’s also another player capable of putting a good set-piece in too. Unfortunately, too often they have been poor and we know he can do it.

Aneke to come on and bully them and force us higher up the pitch. Green to come on and stretch them in behind.

This team has experience, leaders, and players who genuinely care, rather than those who joined just over a month ago and haven’t done anything to warrant a spot in the team.

Back to basics, use our strengths and the balance of the side. Use the crowd to our advantage and we will get a result.

Taylor x2
    There's no way JFC is anywhere near match fit enough to start, is there? Don't get me wrong, I rate him very highly and think we have desperately missed him all season, but given how many injury problems he's had, is he even ready for 60 minutes? 
  • Options
    Is JFC injured? 
  • Options
    Sage said:
    SDAddick said:
    Sage said:
    Phillips
    Cullen
    Pratley Forster-Caskey
    Williams
    Taylor Bonne

Taylor x2
    There's no way JFC is anywhere near match fit enough to start, is there? Don't get me wrong, I rate him very highly and think we have desperately missed him all season, but given how many injury problems he's had, is he even ready for 60 minutes? 
    Been training for a couple of weeks now. He didn’t feature in the U23s so you would expect him to have some degree of fitness to be able to start. If he’s able to, I most certainly would pick him. Even if it’s 60 minutes and say Aneke comes on and we drop Williams into the 3 in midfield. I don’t want to see young, inexperienced, and loanees starting a game like this. We need men, experience, leaders, players who have positional and tactical awareness, and who are prepared to fight for the club and their future at our club. 
    This 
  • Options

Charlton Athletic v Middlesbrough
    Saturday 7th March 2020 … 3pm Kick-Off
    Referee: Stephen Martin (prev. games: Derby | Middlesbrough | Fulham)

Introduction
    Charlton return to the Valley this weekend after a harsh lesson on the road – Defeats against Sheffield Wednesday and Huddersfield have once again proven how tough this league is yet it will be the manner of the performances that’ll have disappointed Management, players and fans alike… It means that the hard work from our recent three wins have been thrown away, yet it’s also a sign that with still ten games left we shouldn’t start preparing for League One just yet!!

The Opposition
    Name: Middlesbrough (22nd) | Manager: Jonathan Woodgate
    Ground: Riverside Stadium
    Previous Result: Middlesbrough 1-0 Charlton Athletic

Whilst our last two performances have been poor, I think it’s safe to say that nothing has been as poor as the Charlton showing at the Riverside Stadium in December!! – The Addicks would travel to North Yorkshire well and truly in a run of poor form, winless in two months and playing the kids it was the type of performance that didn’t see Charlton threaten until the last five minutes of the game… Joe Ledley’s disastrous sole appearance the biggest memory of that miserable day.

If we learnt anything from that fixture though it wasn’t that Charlton were surely in a relegation battle yet confirmed that Middlesbrough themselves would surely be involved in any battle to survive – Their problem that day, and this season, is the fact they struggle to score goals and thus struggle to kill teams off… Stats only tell half a story yet with eight wins they’ve the joint lowest number in the league whilst only Derby and Millwall have drawn more, proof of that inability to see out games was shown on Monday night; Nottingham Forest earning a late draw and so preserving our own status in 20th place.

A bit like when Barnsley and Luton visited the Valley… this is a game where first goal scorer will be so important

Charlton Team News
    November and December would see our form struggle because of injuries to key players, kids would be forced into action (despite being unready and inexperienced for this level) so there was always a disadvantage for Charlton whenever we took to the pitch – Since our game against Fulham though that has changed, we’ve been able to bring in more experienced players yet it’s our form on the road that remains a heavy concern with it being oh so important.

After all we can’t rely on five wins at the Valley to preserve our status at this tier of English Football

So on to Saturday who do we pick? – Tom Lockyer will see out the last of his two match ban whilst Darren Pratley could return in the centre of midfield after missing through injury (It’ll be imperative that he doesn’t earn a booking what with the yellow card count resetting for the final time after this weekend). Finally you’d hope that Jonny Williams is ready to start, his appearance against Huddersfield showed we win so many set pieces whenever he’s on the pitch

Phillips
    Matthews | Oshilaja | Pearce | Purrington
    Cullen | Pratley | Lapslie
    Williams
    Green | Taylor

Substitutes Bench: Amos | Doughty | Oztumer | Davis | McGeady | Bonne | Hemed

Prediction
    With two depressing defeats on the road you’d hope that we see a Charlton team truly fired up come 3pm on Saturday afternoon – Middlesbrough themselves could equally be fired up, they’ll be hurting after conceding so late on Monday night so may put in a response and so earn a first win of 2020!!

*Seeing that I'm posting before the weekly Press Conference there may be amendments to my Line-Up following Bowyer's comments
    Great preview mate. The only change I would do is put Pratley at CB with Pearce and Davis in front of the back 4. Give Davis a chance to make amends of his dismal performance against Huddersfield in front of the Charlton faithful 
    2-1 Charlton 
    Cullen Taylor
  • Options
    Talal said:
    Hope McGeady isn't in the squad. If Aneke isn't involved (and isn't injured) then I doubt we'll see him again. 
    Genuinely didn't realise McGeady was playing until half-time at Huddersfield. 
  • Options
    Sage said:
    SDAddick said:
    Sage said:
    Phillips
    Cullen
    Pratley Forster-Caskey
    Williams
    Taylor Bonne

Taylor x2
    Been training for a couple of weeks now. He didn’t feature in the U23s so you would expect him to have some degree of fitness to be able to start. If he’s able to, I most certainly would pick him. Even if it’s 60 minutes and say Aneke comes on and we drop Williams into the 3 in midfield. I don’t want to see young, inexperienced, and loanees starting a game like this. We need men, experience, leaders, players who have positional and tactical awareness, and who are prepared to fight for the club and their future at our club. 
    This Hemed's return to squads recently renders Aneke probably our least relevant player for some time.  
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    It's been a mistake using Doughty as a LB and even LWB while Purrington has been fit. Let's not Charltonise his attacking traits which could happen all too easily.
  • Options

Introduction
    Charlton return to the Valley this weekend after a harsh lesson on the road – Defeats against Sheffield Wednesday and Huddersfield have once again proven how tough this league is yet it will be the manner of the performances that’ll have disappointed Management, players and fans alike… It means that the hard work from our recent three wins have been thrown away, yet it’s also a sign that with still ten games left we shouldn’t start preparing for League One just yet!!

The Opposition

Whilst our last two performances have been poor, I think it’s safe to say that nothing has been as poor as the Charlton showing at the Riverside Stadium in December!! – The Addicks would travel to North Yorkshire well and truly in a run of poor form, winless in two months and playing the kids it was the type of performance that didn’t see Charlton threaten until the last five minutes of the game… Joe Ledley’s disastrous sole appearance the biggest memory of that miserable day.

If we learnt anything from that fixture though it wasn’t that Charlton were surely in a relegation battle yet confirmed that Middlesbrough themselves would surely be involved in any battle to survive – Their problem that day, and this season, is the fact they struggle to score goals and thus struggle to kill teams off… Stats only tell half a story yet with eight wins they’ve the joint lowest number in the league whilst only Derby and Millwall have drawn more, proof of that inability to see out games was shown on Monday night; Nottingham Forest earning a late draw and so preserving our own status in 20th place.

A bit like when Barnsley and Luton visited the Valley… this is a game where first goal scorer will be so important

Charlton Team News
    November and December would see our form struggle because of injuries to key players, kids would be forced into action (despite being unready and inexperienced for this level) so there was always a disadvantage for Charlton whenever we took to the pitch – Since our game against Fulham though that has changed, we’ve been able to bring in more experienced players yet it’s our form on the road that remains a heavy concern with it being oh so important.

After all we can’t rely on five wins at the Valley to preserve our status at this tier of English Football

So on to Saturday who do we pick? – Tom Lockyer will see out the last of his two match ban whilst Darren Pratley could return in the centre of midfield after missing through injury (It’ll be imperative that he doesn’t earn a booking what with the yellow card count resetting for the final time after this weekend). Finally you’d hope that Jonny Williams is ready to start, his appearance against Huddersfield showed we win so many set pieces whenever he’s on the pitch

Phillips
    Williams
    Green | Taylor

Prediction
    With two depressing defeats on the road you’d hope that we see a Charlton team truly fired up come 3pm on Saturday afternoon – Middlesbrough themselves could equally be fired up, they’ll be hurting after conceding so late on Monday night so may put in a response and so earn a first win of 2020!!

*Seeing that I'm posting before the weekly Press Conference there may be amendments to my Line-Up following Bowyer's comments
    Great preview mate. The only change I would do is put Pratley at CB with Pearce and Davis in front of the back 4. Give Davis a chance to make amends of his dismal performance against Huddersfield in front of the Charlton faithful 
    2-1 Charlton 
    Cullen Taylor

Pearce in front of the back 4?
  • Options
    edited March 2020

Introduction

The Opposition

Charlton Team News

Phillips
    Williams
    Green | Taylor

Prediction

2-1 Charlton 
    Cullen Taylor

Pearce in front of the back 4?
    No mate, have another read of it. Pearce and Pratley CB and Davis in front of the back 4 👍
  • Options
    Redrobo said:
    Based on the words of The Curbishley, stop the loses.

Phillips
    Solly Oshilaja Pearce Purrington

Mathews Cullen Pratley Doughty
                         Williams

Taylor.

All know how to defend and would allow Cullen to move forward with Williams to join Taylor. Mathews and Doughty are good enough going forward as well.

I quite like this as we have no one to play on the right and it showed on Saturday, Matthews had opportunities to get forward but had clearly been instructed not to. Doughty is not a left back but can play further up. I'd maybe be tempted to drop Pratley back for Pearce or Oshilaja though and get two upfront, Bonne and Taylor. 
  • Options
    Radical solution to our defensive plight:
    Pratley at RCB, Oshi at right back, and Matthews at right mid.
    He looks composed on the ball, and can tackle and pass.

• Options
    JamesSeed said:

I thought similar.
    Oshi's best game was at RB and we need more in midfield, so try Matthews on the right side of midfield.
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:

Solly would surely come in though if Bowyer went down that route.
  • Options

Introduction

The Opposition

Charlton Team News

Phillips
    Williams
    Green | Taylor

Prediction

2-1 Charlton 
    Cullen Taylor
    Davis was an unused sub v Huddersfield.
  • Options
    🔴 2-1 ⚪