Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Coronavirus - it's not all "bad news"

Comments

• edited April 2020
    Jints said:
    I think the most common drugs there are spice and weed. Don't know much about spice but don't think it's like the heroin comedown.
    It looks like the Prison Service has stumbled across a long term solution.
    All visits to be held by video link and all post copied.
    It sounds simple to carry on, but I bet they don't.
  • Means everyone will be shopping wearing a paramedic outfit hoping for the same.
  • https://www.theguardian.com/business/2020/apr/01/british-american-tobacco-plant-based-coronavirus-vaccine

Tobacco plants can be used to help generate vaccines

The London-listed company used the announcement to trumpet the positive aspects of its tobacco empire, saying that “new, fast-growing tobacco plant technology” put it ahead of others trying to develop a vaccine.
    “Tobacco plants offer the potential for faster and safer vaccine development compared with conventional methods,” the company said.
    BAT said its US biotech subsidiary, Kentucky BioProcessing (KBP), has moved to pre-clinical testing and that it will work on the vaccine on a not-for-profit basis.
    In 2014, the tobacco firm bought KBP, which has previously worked on a treatment for Ebola. BAT said its work was “potentially safer [than conventional vaccine technology], given that tobacco plants cannot host pathogens which cause human disease”.
  • edited April 2020
  • The Queen’s going to address the nation (BBC news). That’s something to look forward to.
  • edited April 2020
    https://www.theguardian.com/business/2020/apr/01/british-american-tobacco-plant-based-coronavirus-vaccine

The London-listed company used the announcement to trumpet the positive aspects of its tobacco empire, saying that “new, fast-growing tobacco plant technology” put it ahead of others trying to develop a vaccine.
    “Tobacco plants offer the potential for faster and safer vaccine development compared with conventional methods,” the company said.
    BAT said its US biotech subsidiary, Kentucky BioProcessing (KBP), has moved to pre-clinical testing and that it will work on the vaccine on a not-for-profit basis.
    In 2014, the tobacco firm bought KBP, which has previously worked on a treatment for Ebola. BAT said its work was “potentially safer [than conventional vaccine technology], given that tobacco plants cannot host pathogens which cause human disease”.
    Worth checking the date of that article @killerandflash :)
  • Sponsored links:

• JamesSeed said:
    https://www.theguardian.com/business/2020/apr/01/british-american-tobacco-plant-based-coronavirus-vaccine

Worth checking the date of that article @killerandflash :)
    Not an April Fool, honest!
  • Been speaking to loads of my friends and family using the WhatsApp and Messenger video calls, been great actually. So easy to lose touch with people, but one thing I've noticed is my family all pulling together
  • JohnBoyUK said:
    Well I had a result.

I put up my Concept 2 rowing machine for sale for £675, not knowing there was an international shortage of them.  Havent been able to use it for a couple of years due to a long term injury I've got and its been doing nothing but take up loads of bloody room.

Sold it for £1,450 today.  Absolutely insane.  It turns out he's a Czech Olympian Athelete based in London.  I wouldnt mind, I only paid just over £800 for it brand new from Amazon.

(Before anyone asks, he stayed a good distance away from me when I loaded it into his car today, he was more paranoid than me.  I had my mask on and so did he!)

So when next summer at the Olympics the Czech Coxless Fours beat the British guys to the gold medal, it'll be your fault  :D
    Well there is that.  Thats the danger of selling on gum tree. He said his name was Pete.  Turns out it was Petr.  
  • Today we’d have lost to Millwall and my weekend would have been ruined.

Instead, there’s no defeat and the sun is shining.

Lockdown wins. 
    The police will appear outside your front door at 4:55 to keep you in for 30 minutes until the Millwall family down the road have taken their walk first
    Brilliant!
  • Sponsored links:

• Will her maj (god bless you ma'am) pass on a message from God as his/her intermediary on earth?
  • edited April 2020

It would be great if the virus that started with a bat ended with a BAT (there's a potential soundbite for them if they have any success in this). With my cynical head on though, I can't help but think the company that is directly responsible for millions of deaths are just using this as an opportunity to falsely associate tobacco with good health. I appreciate the utilisation of their facilities, but if they really cared about public well being they'd have voluntarily divested most of their business donkey's years ago. 
  • seth plum said:
    Will her maj (god bless you ma'am) pass on a message from God as his/her intermediary on earth?

For all you believers, when is the penny going to drop ? I don't mean you Seth as you and I live in the same Becketesque world of the absurd. 
    I'm not waiting for Godot, just fucking common sense to arrive. ASAP.
  • Today we’d have lost to Millwall and my weekend would have been ruined.

Instead, there’s no defeat and the sun is shining.

Lockdown wins. 
    The defeat has been deferred to later in the year.
  • seth plum said:
    Will her maj (god bless you ma'am) pass on a message from God as his/her intermediary on earth?

For all you believers, when is the penny going to drop ? I don't mean you Seth as you and I live in the same Becketesque world of the absurd. 
    Absolutely.
    Was it not the great Sam who said some drama speaks to the heart, some drama speaks to the mind and some drama like 'Not I' speaks to the 'nerves'?
    It looks like a lot of what I post gets on people's nerves!
  • Bartram? 
  • Seth pushing an agenda ---how very dare you
  • That's quite enough @Off_it.
    By all means attack the post if you disagree with it, but stop attacking posters.
  • Off_it said:
    seth plum said:
    Off_it said:
    seth plum said:
    seth plum said:

Absolutely.
    Was it not the great Sam who said some drama speaks to the heart, some drama speaks to the mind and some drama like 'Not I' speaks to the 'nerves'?
    It looks like a lot of what I post gets on people's nerves!
    Why don't the two of you just take this crap and fuck off to another thread ffs. This is not the place for it. Supposed to be a light hearted thread. Plenty of other threads for you to claim some sort of superiority.
    Nah.
    My first post on this thread today was light hearted about her maj (god bless you ma'am), so it was appropriate here.
    No, it wasn't though, was it? It was about you pushing your agenda again and looking for a bite. Why don't you just have a fucking day off, you odious little man.
    Nah.
    It wasn't pushing my agenda, you are wrong. It was a comment about monarchy following news about a broadcast.
    Now take your own advice why don't you.