Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Is the season going to finish? (ed. Pg.53 - 3 players not returned to training)

Comments

• Is Brentford's new ground going to be named after the old Lloyd's Bank black horse. What was his name?
    I think you are getting your banks mixed up old son. 

Midland bank (now HSBC) had the Griffin as its logo. I should know, I worked for them....😉
  • Many are struggling now and probably wouldn't last long into pre-season without an influx of cash, never mind another year.

Next to no tv money at that level, so without season ticket money, pay on the gate fans, programmes, beer, food, matchday merchandise sales etc, there would be practically zero incoming funds for lower league clubs.
  • If promotion in the EFL is the top 3 current clubs, that would means the 3 other teams in the playoffs last season, Sunderland, Pompey and Doncaster miss out. A 3rd season in L1 for Sunderland...
    Good point but I really can't see Wycombe allowing that to happen without a legal fight - if they won their game in hand they would be 3rd
    It is a genuine issue. You can't promote a team that has played an extra game if they can be caught.
  • Been saying for ages that this season is finished, and not sure if next season can happen either. None of the schemes I’ve heard for finishing the Premier League season have made me change that view.
    Promotions, but no relegations will solve any legal issues. 
    Liverpool to be awarded the title as they were so far clear that any legal challenge would look absurd, and they clearly had the best side in the league by some distance. 
    The energy can then going into working ways of cramming next season into a workable time frame if the all clear is given. When that might be is anybody’s guess. 
  • Extremely interesting article in The Telegraph.

Broadcasters to oppose any plans to scrap Premier League relegation when season resumes. Totally agree as zero point of most of these matches if no teams can be relegated. 

Don’t think premier league have any hope or getting this season restarted in next months. 
  • 10 players in German top 2 leauges have tested positive.
  • clb74 said:
    When I saw this headline I thought the article was about 10 good things to come out of the plans to restart the German League, was gutted when I actually read it! 

• Sponsored links:

• T_C_E said:
    Have the players been told it’s finished?

Has the new stadium been finished? - I thought the whole COVID situation has delayed the completion

i.e. If Football were to return with games held at the standard grounds then there is a chance there will be another game @ Griffin Park surely?
    There were still building works happening at Craven Cottage when I rode past it on Friday. Clearly essential works...
  • After seeing brentfords new ground I Feel sorry for them it’s the worst downgrade I’ve ever seen, multicoloured seats, soulless and looks like something you would see England playing against Romania in. 
  • Gordon Taylor now suggesting the return of Premier League games could have halves “shorter than 45 minutes”

I don’t even know where to begin with that.

Are they suggesting that finishing a season playing a different game under different rules to the first 75% of said season is better than not finishing it at all?

What next? If you don’t beat the first man from a corner your opponents get a penalty?
  • Out of curiosity yet I presume its in the rules that teams have to play 19-games at home and 19-games away from their home venue?

Seeing that rules have to be agreed before a season starts

Wouldnt someone like Brighton (who are against playing at neutral venues if relegation can happen) have grounds to take legal action if they got relegated?

Same as Norwich would have grounds to complain if the Premier League decided that the current standings are final or PPG gets used?
  • Have I seen the Germans are restarting on 15 May?
    Apparently so, but I dont know if thats still happening after 10-players tested positive for COVID
  • Rick Parry just said there is not going to be a cancellation of relegation. He was very adament. 
  • I saw that too TellyTubby and if they stick to that, the question is on what basis, current placings, based on teams having played each other once (we’d be safe I think) or a mad ‘Duckworth Lewis) type formula? I have watched us through thick and thin and have come to expect my expectations to be dashed at every corner of the country, but poor Bowyer, Jackson, Gallen etc, I really feel for those heroes.
  • Sponsored links:

Apparently so, but I dont know if thats still happening after 10-players tested positive for COVID
    Is the proposal behind doors or with a crowd?
  • Is Brentford's new ground going to be named after the old Lloyd's Bank black horse. What was his name?
    I think you are getting your banks mixed up old son. 

Midland bank (now HSBC) had the Griffin as its logo. I should know, I worked for them....😉
    I know . I had a Griffin saver account. I've still got the pencil case!

That was the point of my daft joke.

• If promotion in the EFL is the top 3 current clubs, that would means the 3 other teams in the playoffs last season, Sunderland, Pompey and Doncaster miss out. A 3rd season in L1 for Sunderland...
    Good point but I really can't see Wycombe allowing that to happen without a legal fight - if they won their game in hand they would be 3rd
    It is a genuine issue. You can't promote a team that has played an extra game if they can be caught.
    Liverpool can still be caught. Just saying.
  • Gordon Taylor now suggesting the return of Premier League games could have halves “shorter than 45 minutes”

Are they suggesting that finishing a season playing a different game under different rules to the first 75% of said season is better than not finishing it at all?

What next? If you don’t beat the first man from a corner your opponents get a penalty?
    5-a-side, rush goalie and added time multi ball.

Captains get to pick their teams on the day from whoever can be arsed to turn up, season finished within 3 hours.
  • Or nail the FA to the wall and decide the season by archery. 
  • The season should be decided by which teams have had the most and fewest player indiscretions during the lockdown. 

Bonus points for positive contributions by players, funny twitter videos etc
  • Croydon said:
    Gordon Taylor now suggesting the return of Premier League games could have halves “shorter than 45 minutes”

5-a-side, rush goalie and added time multi ball.

Captains get to pick their teams on the day from whoever can be arsed to turn up, season finished within 3 hours.

3 and in or headers and volleys
  • Sounds like the Bundesliga return on 15th May is going ahead and set to be announced by Merkel tomorrow.