Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Is the season going to finish? (ed. Pg.53 - 3 players not returned to training)

Comments

• Options
    edited April 2020
    It would be a bit annoying if Leeds get promoted as I've never been to Elland Road and was planning to tick off that ground this season!

Losing Leeds, West Brom and Fulham and gaining Coventry, Rotherham and Oxford would make a massive difference to the quality of the Championship. The easiest Championship ever to win if you're half decent?
    Completely agree with this.

You’d have the three you’ve mentioned, then the current lot who have struggled this season, as well as one or two who will also be down there next season as there’s always clubs who surprisingly don’t do very well, Stoke for example.

It would make the league a far more level playing field.
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    Rather than it being the top 3 teams of each EFL league, why can’t it just be the teams who currently occupy the automatic promotion places.

Instead of 23 in Premier League next season and still having 23 in League One. Obviously causing problems with fixtures. With it only being those sitting in the automatic promotion places now who get promoted, you’d have 22 in the Premier League and back to 24 in League One. Problem solved. Surely that’s easier? You also have 5 relegation places next season rather than 6. Meaning in Championship and League One, you’d have a top 6 and bottom 6. That’s a hell of a lot, but could of course make it more interesting.
  • Options
    Sage said:
    It would be a bit annoying if Leeds get promoted as I've never been to Elland Road and was planning to tick off that ground this season!

Losing Leeds, West Brom and Fulham and gaining Coventry, Rotherham and Oxford would make a massive difference to the quality of the Championship. The easiest Championship ever to win if you're half decent?
    Completely agree with this.

You’d have the three you’ve mentioned, then the currently lot who have struggled this season, as well as one or two who will also be down there next season as there’s always clubs who surprisingly don’t do very well, Stoke for example.

It would make the league a far more level playing field.
    Roland is forced to cancel the sale to ESI.

Realising that he could get promotion to the PL and get a great price for the club, Roland gives Bowyer £30m to spend

We win the Championship, Roland sells us to Jeff Bezos for £120m with the one condition that the Covered End is named after him...

• Options
    Leeds should defo go up they had 5 of the current bottom 6 to play 
    Fulham have the 5 out of the current top 6 to play.

no relegations top 2 go up 
    5 relegated next season 
    do away with league cup to allow for the extra games to take place. 

Done 
  • Options
    Leeds should defo go up they had 5 of the current bottom 6 to play 
    Fulham have the 5 out of the current top 6 to play.

no relegations top 2 go up 
    5 relegated next season 
    do away with league cup to allow for the extra games to take place. 

Done 
    You're probably right but, er, bollocks to Leeds
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    Redrobo said:
    Sage said:
    JamesSeed said:
    Sage said:
    JamesSeed said:
    It's good that Ligue 1 is abandoned. It's puts everyone out of their misery.
    From Twitter:
    ’‘
    France are talking about determining Ligue 1 by how the table looked at the season mid-point, when everyone had played each other once.’

That would see us finishing in 18th place, six points clear of relegation.

Seems like a fair system. There is at least a logic to it. 
    Pretty much the exact same as my theoretical table and in line with what our average league position has been this season...
    Much simpler version ;-)
    Without the hassle! But it does show what I have worked on and again, how previous results are indicative of future ones. Not every single one is to be identical, but in a system you have to use the original results as it’s a strong indication of the points they’re going to pick up in the period of games you’re specifically looking at.
    Why not use the actual results when everyone had played each other once?
    As I indicated above, using a half way table (and even one when a Club has played each other once) doesn't sound fair either - Bromley would come out top in the National League but are 13th now and 18 points behind the current top side Barrow.

It is virtually mathematically impossible for Bromley to be Champions now and yet they would be awarded the League!

Of less importance but a consideration, you will have half the teams having played one more away than at home.
    I am not defending the approach, but on your final point, you merely count up the first time the club has played every other team and discount the second. I'm pretty sure that will be 50/50 home and away.
  • Options
    Players are "scared" about the prospect of returning to action amid the coronavirus pandemic, says Manchester City striker Sergio Aguero.
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    smiffyboy said:
    A message I got on WhatsApp make of it what you want.

THIS FROM A MATE WHO’S A TRAVEL WRITER:

Premier league is back in June. A sport travel agency that manages logistics for some top teams (spurs, city, wolves, newcastle, rangers to name a few). 
    Has been tasked with arranging hotels and travel for 8 weeks starting mid may. 

All premier league teams will play their remaining games at St. George’s Park, behind closed doors and for TV only. The complex will host 2/3 games a day that will be streamed live. 

The players will go into isolation mid may at select hotels in the vicinity of st georges and will train at local clubs grounds. 

They will not be able to see family and friends during the period of games. Each player will be tested regulary to ensure safety and hotels will be locked down for players only.

Looks like we are going to have a world cup style June with loads of games to watch.
    I suspect all this is subject to approval from the government and its experts. I wonder what the plan would be if a player develops covid symptoms. As far as I’m aware the test isn’t 100% accurate, so presumably they’d have to isolate that player whatever the result, along with his squad and anyone they’d played against. Track and trace.

Even if it does happen, it sounds like a freak show to me. I’ve watched live matches played behind closed doors and they’re often massively dull, especially for the neutral. 
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    Was sent this in a WhatsApp group i am in but wasnt sure how to get just the audio on here.

Luckily someone had already put it on youtube

https://youtu.be/S81IiX1KqYg
    Voila. 
    Been using these arguments for some time, but you can see how the PL are desperate to circumvent the normal rules, purely for financial reasons. They want to place players and essential staff in a virus free bubble, and test, test, test. 
    Although I can see the reasoning behind it, I still can’t see it happening. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    JamesSeed said:
    Was sent this in a WhatsApp group i am in but wasnt sure how to get just the audio on here.

Luckily someone had already put it on youtube

https://youtu.be/S81IiX1KqYg
    Voila. 
    Been using these arguments for some time, but you can see how the PL are desperate to circumvent the normal rules, purely for financial reasons. They want to place players and essential staff in a virus free bubble, and test, test, test. 
    Although I can see the reasoning behind it, I still can’t see it happening. 
    Will the players be expected to sign waivers? Or, will they / the clubs be able to sue the PL, if a player tests positive, in this supposed virus-free environment?
  • Options
    Redrobo said:
    Sage said:
    JamesSeed said:
    Sage said:
    JamesSeed said:
    From Twitter:
    ’‘
    France are talking about determining Ligue 1 by how the table looked at the season mid-point, when everyone had played each other once.’

Pretty much the exact same as my theoretical table and in line with what our average league position has been this season...
    Much simpler version ;-)
    Without the hassle! But it does show what I have worked on and again, how previous results are indicative of future ones. Not every single one is to be identical, but in a system you have to use the original results as it’s a strong indication of the points they’re going to pick up in the period of games you’re specifically looking at.
    As I indicated above, using a half way table (and even one when a Club has played each other once) doesn't sound fair either - Bromley would come out top in the National League but are 13th now and 18 points behind the current top side Barrow.

It is virtually mathematically impossible for Bromley to be Champions now and yet they would be awarded the League!

Of less importance but a consideration, you will have half the teams having played one more away than at home.
    I am not defending the approach, but on your final point, you merely count up the first time the club has played every other team and discount the second. I'm pretty sure that will be 50/50 home and away.
    It can't be 50/50 home and away - a club plays 23 teams so, at having met every other side once, they will either have played 12 at home and 11 away or vice versa. Home and away can only be evened out once they have played an even number of games
  • Options
    cafctom said:
    smiffyboy said:

Premier league is back in June. A sport travel agency that manages logistics for some top teams (spurs, city, wolves, newcastle, rangers to name a few). 

All premier league teams will play their remaining games at St. George’s Park, behind closed doors and for TV only. The complex will host 2/3 games a day that will be streamed live. 

The players will go into isolation mid may at select hotels in the vicinity of st georges and will train at local clubs grounds. 

They will not be able to see family and friends during the period of games. Each player will be tested regulary to ensure safety and hotels will be locked down for players only.

Looks like we are going to have a world cup style June with loads of games to watch.
    I got this message yesterday and it really wound me up. 

Premier League fans, particularly those from the elite clubs, really do my head in.

Talking about it being a ‘world cup’ type event, with ‘loads of games to watch’ - as if they don’t actually have any care for the good of the game and those involved, just as long as they get their glory-hunting fix of sitting in front of the TV and cheering from their armchair (like the rest of the year).

And then you get the people who bang on about “What the Premier League is going to do”, and “What about Liverpool and the title”.....Completely ignoring the fact that half the footballing pyramid could completely collapse altogether.

But as long as these c**** get their fix to have banter with their mates about the top 4/race for the title whilst giving F-all consideration for anything else, crack on.

I genuinely have more time for Millwall fans than these types of braindeads.

The Sky fans as I call them, whenever I have conversations with them and tell them I support Charlton they invariably don't know what division we are in.
  • Options
    cafctom said:
    smiffyboy said:

Premier League fans, particularly those from the elite clubs, really do my head in.

Talking about it being a ‘world cup’ type event, with ‘loads of games to watch’ - as if they don’t actually have any care for the good of the game and those involved, just as long as they get their glory-hunting fix of sitting in front of the TV and cheering from their armchair (like the rest of the year).

And then you get the people who bang on about “What the Premier League is going to do”, and “What about Liverpool and the title”.....Completely ignoring the fact that half the footballing pyramid could completely collapse altogether.

But as long as these c**** get their fix to have banter with their mates about the top 4/race for the title whilst giving F-all consideration for anything else, crack on.

The Sky fans as I call them, whenever I have conversations with them and tell them I support Charlton they invariably don't know what division we are in.
    Plus the innevitable 'Yeah but what Premier League team do you support' 🤬
  • Options
    cafctom said:
    smiffyboy said:

Who do not even go to games.
  • Options
    cafctom said:
    smiffyboy said:

What I usually do is tell them "well I've been to (Anfield, Old Trafford etc) more than you so that makes me more of a fan of your team than you and I don't even support them"

They genuinely can't respond because you've out-gloried them with there own team though sometimes you'll get the odd logistics excuse like it's too far to travel, too expensive, won't go on there own etc. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    cafctom said:
    smiffyboy said:

What I usually do is tell them "well I've been to (Anfield, Old Trafford etc) more than you so that makes me more of a fan of your team than you and I don't even support them"

They genuinely can't respond because you've out-gloried them with there own team though sometimes you'll get the odd logistics excuse like it's too far to travel, too expensive, won't go on there own etc. 
    And then when they get asked “Well why do you support them the ? Why don’t you support a local team like Charlton, Millwall, Gills etc?”, they just answer with “Nah cos they are shit”. Basically just admitting they’re glory hunters! 
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    Redrobo said:
    Sage said:
    JamesSeed said:
    Sage said:
    JamesSeed said:
    From Twitter:
    ’‘

Much simpler version ;-)

It can't be 50/50 home and away - a club plays 23 teams so, at having met every other side once, they will either have played 12 at home and 11 away or vice versa. Home and away can only be evened out once they have played an even number of games
    Good point.

Sounds from the leak above - EFL are looking at no relegations and top three promotions with adjustment next season. That is interesting from our perspective.
  • Options

http://www.msn.com/en-gb/sport/premier-league/nev-take-pl-finish-to-a-virus-free-nation/ar-BB13sSfx?ocid=ientp

wonder where these coronavirus free countries are that are within three or four hours of the UK?

• Options

http://www.msn.com/en-gb/sport/premier-league/nev-take-pl-finish-to-a-virus-free-nation/ar-BB13sSfx?ocid=ientp

wonder where these coronavirus free countries are that are within three or four hours of the UK?

I am not really being serious but you could take it somewhere like tenerife, loads of empty hotels, good training facilities and a stadium.  On an island that I would imagine is nearly completely empty at the moment. 
  • Options
    How about penalty shoot-outs to decide each remaining fixture. All 11 players are involved. So a keeper and.each outfield player gets a penalty, so 10 v 10. That way all the players can travel independently to the fixture/venue and social distance.on the pitch etc. 

As for next season.....
  • Options
    for me it should be either play the season out safely or void it completely. 

don't agree with sporting merit etc as against leeds, derby etc we beat them likelyhood is now is they would hammer us we also picked up a lot of points early on. 

does make me laugh though premier league clubs don't realise there is football outside of it. 

the other argument is how good is it really going to be as a spectacle - an empty stadium with no fans - just cancel it and follow the rest of europe. 

also something i saw earlier - brentford fans will never see there team play at griffin park again. 
  • Options
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    for me it should be either play the season out safely or void it completely. 

don't agree with sporting merit etc as against leeds, derby etc we beat them likelyhood is now is they would hammer us we also picked up a lot of points early on. 

does make me laugh though premier league clubs don't realise there is football outside of it. 

the other argument is how good is it really going to be as a spectacle - an empty stadium with no fans - just cancel it and follow the rest of europe. 

also something i saw earlier - brentford fans will never see there team play at griffin park again
    With everything thats going on I completely forgot this was their last season there.

Its a shame for the fans that they havent got to say a proper goodbye and you would hope that once this is over and its safe to do so the club will be able to arrange and friendly as a final goodbye.

It wont be the same as the final league game would have been, but at least it would be something for the fans
  • Options
    When I was at school you either supported charlton, millwall or were a glory hunter. Agree with your millwall comments 
    Millwall fans went to school?
    Yep, when it we got to the age to choose  gcse options, us charlton supporters chose steam engines and bovril, they chose fighting and asbos
  • Options
    Are they seriously proposing that the PL may restart with players wearing masks?
    WTF.