Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Is the season going to finish? (ed. Pg.53 - 3 players not returned to training)

Comments

• An interesting suggestion on how to finish 2019/20.  Finish the season after the first round of matches.

This would have left us in 19th position on 36 points, above Huddersfield and Stoke - 6 points clear of Wigan, 11 clear of Barnsley and 12 ahead of bottom placed Luton on 24 points.
  • 3 players test poisive at fc cologne in the German league
  • When I was at school you either supported charlton, millwall or were a glory hunter. Agree with your millwall comments 
    Millwall fans went to school?
    Yep, when it we got to the age to choose  gcse options, us charlton supporters chose steam engines and bovril, they chose fighting and asbos
    I had a Millwall fan in my A Level Maths class. Good bloke. Clearly a bit of an outlier :-)
  • Are they seriously proposing that the PL may restart with players wearing masks?
    WTF.

They will have to build in a gob-flap
  • https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52507779

The University of Reading Economics boffins have done their Championship forecast, and we're relegated with Millwall in the playoffs!
  • clb74 said:
    3 players test poisive at fc cologne in the German league
    Is it bad of me to have wished this happened after their first game back to show how ducking stupid the sports authorities are. 

• JamesSeed said:
    It's good that Ligue 1 is abandoned. It's puts everyone out of their misery.
    From Twitter:
    ’‘
    France are talking about determining Ligue 1 by how the table looked at the season mid-point, when everyone had played each other once.’

That would see us finishing in 18th place, six points clear of relegation.

Seems like a fair system. There is at least a logic to it. 
    Isaac Asimov ascertains that robots are logical but no reasonable.

• I can't see a massive difference to a World Cup.
    Becuse during a world cup they can see there family, most families go with the players during a world cup, fairy rarely will a country ban players wives and children
    Except if Capello is manager.
  • Sponsored links:

• JamesSeed said:
    From Twitter:
    ’‘
    France are talking about determining Ligue 1 by how the table looked at the season mid-point, when everyone had played each other once.’

It’s arguably more reasonable than looking at the table as it is now. 
  • cafctom said:
    cafctom said:

The Sky fans as I call them, whenever I have conversations with them and tell them I support Charlton they invariably don't know what division we are in.
    Plus the innevitable 'Yeah but what Premier League team do you support' 🤬

Who do not even go to games.
    What I usually do is tell them "well I've been to (Anfield, Old Trafford etc) more than you so that makes me more of a fan of your team than you and I don't even support them"

They genuinely can't respond because you've out-gloried them with there own team though sometimes you'll get the odd logistics excuse like it's too far to travel, too expensive, won't go on there own etc. 
    And then when they get asked “Well why do you support them the ? Why don’t you support a local team like Charlton, Millwall, Gills etc?”, they just answer with “Nah cos they are shit”. Basically just admitting they’re glory hunters! 
    Sounds like listening in loop to my daily school 'conversations' with 90% of the class.
  • How about penalty shoot-outs to decide each remaining fixture. All 11 players are involved. So a keeper and.each outfield player gets a penalty, so 10 v 10. That way all the players can travel independently to the fixture/venue and social distance.on the pitch etc. 

As for next season.....
    We could do penalty shoot outs in isolation. The penalty taker only gets to within eleven metres of the goalkeeper. 

Now that would make good TV! Imagine us live this afternoon against Leeds with each player arriving individually at their respective training grounds.

While Johnny Williams arrives at our training ground and Lyle Taylor's leaving, on one side of the screen, at the same time a Leeds player is approaching the penalty spot.

We could do this for all the remaining games of the season.

If World Cup, Champions League and Play Off Finals can be decided in this manner, why not the remainder of the season?
  • JamesSeed said:
    JamesSeed said:
    From Twitter:
    ’‘

It’s arguably more reasonable than looking at the table as it is now. 
    Disagree. I think taking the league table at the halfway point is logical but unreasonable.

Only the robotical manner of French thinking could, and has, come up with this idea.
  • How about penalty shoot-outs to decide each remaining fixture. All 11 players are involved. So a keeper and.each outfield player gets a penalty, so 10 v 10. That way all the players can travel independently to the fixture/venue and social distance.on the pitch etc. 

As for next season.....
    We could do penalty shoot outs in isolation. The penalty taker only gets to within eleven metres of the goalkeeper. 

Now that would make good TV! Imagine us live this afternoon against Leeds with each player arriving individually at their respective training grounds.

While Johnny Williams arrives at our training ground and Lyle Taylor's leaving, on one side of the screen, at the same time a Leeds player is approaching the penalty spot.

If World Cup, Champions League and Play Off Finals can be decided in this manner, why not the remainder of the season?
    What and the opposition keeper travels up/down to the other side?

I mean, won't happen but the tension would be brilliant.

As for next season.....

What and the opposition keeper travels up/down to the other side?

I mean, won't happen but the tension would be brilliant.
    Yes, so Dillon Phillips would become like a club ambassador, travelling around the country.

Maybe the bastard Premier League could supply limousines for goalkeepers in the Football League, while they're flying off to infect Tenerife, Antartica or wherever.
  • Can’t imagine that all these games with no fans is going to be much of a spectacle. Especially if there is no relegation. 

If they think that hordes of people are going to be tuning into that, they are seriously deluded.

• Or just do penalties taken from the half-way line without goalkeepers.

Each club has to take 45 penalties (9 matches x 5 penalties). You choose 9 players to take three penalties and nine players to take two penalties.

For each match you only have to call upon two players. 

So starting with Hull, we choose two players, and then these two players won't have to be called upon again.

Each of the eighteeen players only has to leave the house once.

Goalkeepers aren't involved unless chosen as a penalty taker.

If the 'match' finishes with for example 3 'penalties' scored then it's recorded as a 3-3 draw.

Each match only needs two players to go to each of the two training grounds.

This is not a logical proposal, but it is reasonable. 

• Can’t imagine that all these games with no fans is going to be much of a spectacle. Especially if there is no relegation. 

If they think that hordes of people are going to be tuning into that, they are seriously deluded.

I would watch a relegation scrap. Surely if they play the matches they will keep relegation. Otherwise, why bother?
  • I can't see the Championship season finishing. Even the Premier League clubs - with their huge imperative to retain the Sky money - have accepted that any behind closed doors games (if they're feasible) will have to take place at neutral venues. It's also been reported that there have been contingency discussions around the 4 current Championship play-off teams having semi-finals and a final at a neutral venue. Even if that comes to pass, I can't see it being replicated for each team's last 9 games of the season.

In addition to the overriding health issues, there is the issue of players' contracts expiring at the end of June. That is surely a major hurdle for clubs outside the Premier League, particularly as it's been reported that EFL owners won't pay the one month's contractual severance pay if agreements are extended by a month.
  • Sponsored links:

I would watch a relegation scrap. Surely if they play the matches they will keep relegation. Otherwise, why bother?
    Because of the money? There is no other motivation.
  • Blucher said:
    I can't see the Championship season finishing. Even the Premier League clubs - with their huge imperative to retain the Sky money - have accepted that any behind closed doors games (if they're feasible) will have to take place at neutral venues. It's also been reported that there have been contingency discussions around the 4 current Championship play-off teams having semi-finals and a final at a neutral venue. Even if that comes to pass, I can't see it being replicated for each team's last 9 games of the season.

In addition to the overriding health issues, there is the issue of players' contracts expiring at the end of June. That is surely a major hurdle for clubs outside the Premier League, particularly as it's been reported that EFL owners won't pay the one month's contractual severance pay if agreements are extended by a month.
    My understanding is that 3 teams promoted and no relegation is going to be used in divisions 2, 3 and 4.

An absolute nonsense if the case.
  • Blucher said:
    I can't see the Championship season finishing. Even the Premier League clubs - with their huge imperative to retain the Sky money - have accepted that any behind closed doors games (if they're feasible) will have to take place at neutral venues. It's also been reported that there have been contingency discussions around the 4 current Championship play-off teams having semi-finals and a final at a neutral venue. Even if that comes to pass, I can't see it being replicated for each team's last 9 games of the season.

My understanding is that 3 teams promoted and no relegation is going to be used in divisions 2, 3 and 4.

What is this division 4 you talk of ?
  • Blucher said:

What is this division 4 you talk of ?
    League 2.
  • Sounds ridiculous but at least we don’t get relegated. 
  • Talking to Glenn Murray on Football Focus, the Brighton players have returned to training but in reality it's just a small number of players running around their own individual pitch, without even a ball! A long way off anything resembling football
  • Talking to Glenn Murray on Football Focus, the Brighton players have returned to training but in reality it's just a small number of players running around their own individual pitch, without even a ball! A long way off anything resembling football
    Without saying as much, he gave me the impression that he is very much against any resumption in the present circumstances.
  • The sounds the players are making makes it look like they're fully against the season restarting themselves as they'll effectively be guinea pigs during this pandemic

Would love to see the first game starting with them all just standing there in strike against it

Of course it'll be frustrating in the sense they're earning silly amounts of money but regardless, it doesnt matter how much someone earns, they shouldnt be put at more risk than someone else

Nor did the clubs have to bend to the wage demands e.g. player asks for £200k etc. club can always say no (yet that seems to be forgotten / ignored these days)