Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Is the season going to finish? (ed. Pg.53 - 3 players not returned to training)

Comments

• Blucher said:
    I can't see the Championship season finishing. Even the Premier League clubs - with their huge imperative to retain the Sky money - have accepted that any behind closed doors games (if they're feasible) will have to take place at neutral venues. It's also been reported that there have been contingency discussions around the 4 current Championship play-off teams having semi-finals and a final at a neutral venue. Even if that comes to pass, I can't see it being replicated for each team's last 9 games of the season.

In addition to the overriding health issues, there is the issue of players' contracts expiring at the end of June. That is surely a major hurdle for clubs outside the Premier League, particularly as it's been reported that EFL owners won't pay the one month's contractual severance pay if agreements are extended by a month.
    My understanding is that 3 teams promoted and no relegation is going to be used in divisions 2, 3 and 4.

An absolute nonsense if the case.
    What is this division 4 you talk of ?
    The 4th Division, if you prefer.
  • edited May 2020
    Blucher said:
    I can't see the Championship season finishing. Even the Premier League clubs - with their huge imperative to retain the Sky money - have accepted that any behind closed doors games (if they're feasible) will have to take place at neutral venues. It's also been reported that there have been contingency discussions around the 4 current Championship play-off teams having semi-finals and a final at a neutral venue. Even if that comes to pass, I can't see it being replicated for each team's last 9 games of the season.

In addition to the overriding health issues, there is the issue of players' contracts expiring at the end of June. That is surely a major hurdle for clubs outside the Premier League, particularly as it's been reported that EFL owners won't pay the one month's contractual severance pay if agreements are extended by a month.
    My understanding is that 3 teams promoted and no relegation is going to be used in divisions 2, 3 and 4.

I suppose this is the most litigation averse solution. If you relegate more teams next season, you will have an agreement for that in advance. 
  • Blucher said:

What is this division 4 you talk of ?
    The 4th Division, if you prefer.
    That’s ok, people that somehow call League One “division one”, now that’s ridiculous.
  • I rang up 5 Live to put forward my penalties idea and they laughed at me. Maybe I should have claimed to support a Premier League team. 

Nearly an hour later they put someone else  through with the same idea. This pissed me off enough especially as he hadn't thought it through so well.

Then the pundits ruled it out completely but they themselves don't have a good idea that could actually work. They don't seem to realise that clubs outside the Premier League have more than a couple of players out of contract in June.
  • The latest proposed idea i've seen is potentially of the Premier league resuming with games played at neutral venues, with no fans, with potentially no relegation. What's the point?!
    Just so they don’t have to give Sky any money back I guess.
  • Yeah just seen that on the BBC website - Disappointing if true, might as well just cancel the season and declare the current standings as final

If Norwich | Brighton etc. dont have to worry about relegation their games are going to be nothing more than half-arsed friendlies as they've got nothing else to play for!! 
  • The latest proposed idea i've seen is potentially of the Premier league resuming with games played at neutral venues, with no fans, with potentially no relegation. What's the point?!
    To enable the scousers to win the title and keep Sky happy.
  • Sponsored links:

• With relegation removed - completely pointless

14 clubs have to be in agreement for any plans to take place.

in reality until a vaccine is found football will not be able to resume as it was until that time. 
    So that Liverpool get to win it
    Not enough to get me to resubscribe to sky sports irrespective of whether these games are free to view or not.
  • Do Sky want money back?  I thought I saw that one of them had said they wouldn’t be looking for a refund, but would want to have extra games added to their coverage next season. 
  • I imagine there's also the thought that even half arsed games would be better than nothing, and give us something to watch, seeing that everything else is cancelled.

If BBC1 was showing say Everton vs Southampton, I imagine it would get reasonable ratings
  • Scrap the whole bleeding lot and start again next season.
  • Have the players been told it’s finished?

• why can't they just wait until the situation improves significantly and start then, whether October or even January. Then either have a much shorter 20/21 season or revamp it completely and then get back to normal from 21/22 season.
  • why can't they just wait until the situation improves significantly and start then, whether October or even January. Then either have a much shorter 20/21 season or revamp it completely and then get back to normal from 21/22 season.
    100%
    Because financially it’s not doable. Players that are out of contract at the end of June will be let go. Clubs change sponsors. There are lots of reasons. We just need the season to officially finish just like France, Holland and Belgium have done. 
  • Sponsored links:

• T_C_E said:
    Have the players been told it’s finished?

Griffin Park is finished. Brentford moving to a new ground.
  • T_C_E said:

Has the new stadium been finished? - I thought the whole COVID situation has delayed the completion

i.e. If Football were to return with games held at the standard grounds then there is a chance there will be another game @ Griffin Park surely?
  • Bet there are a few owners in the top flight who'd love it if the Premier League was the sole surviving Professional Divison in the country

If all EFL teams were to go to the wall then bet they'd start arguing about there being no relegation as it would be ridiculous having Premier League teams effectively being relegated to face Non-League teams and visa versa with promotion
  • Simon Jordan was bang on the money 

premier league clubs are around 50-60% of revenue on players wages 
    champ and below are on 90-120% of revenue on players wages with a lot of there revenue coming from getting fans in the ground. 
  • T_C_E said:

Has the new stadium been finished? - I thought the whole COVID situation has delayed the completion

i.e. If Football were to return with games held at the standard grounds then there is a chance there will be another game @ Griffin Park surely?
    The new stadium has been 99% finished for months now, they could have moved in already if they really wanted to, but understandably they wanted to give Griffin Park a proper farewell
  • If promotion in the EFL is the top 3 current clubs, that would means the 3 other teams in the playoffs last season, Sunderland, Pompey and Doncaster miss out. A 3rd season in L1 for Sunderland...
  • If promotion in the EFL is the top 3 current clubs, that would means the 3 other teams in the playoffs last season, Sunderland, Pompey and Doncaster miss out. A 3rd season in L1 for Sunderland...
    Good point but I really can't see Wycombe allowing that to happen without a legal fight - if they won their game in hand they would be 3rd
  • Is Brentford's new ground going to be named after the old Lloyd's Bank black horse. What was his name?
  • edited May 2020
    Is Brentford's new ground going to be named after the old Lloyd's Bank black horse. What was his name?
    Kevin