Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Is the season going to finish? (ed. Pg.53 - 3 players not returned to training)

Comments

• Options
    IF and I do mean IF they have come up with a plan that will work and will not be putting anyone at risk, then I don't see why not. 
    But there is no way they can be sure no one is at risk, so why risk it just to play football.

France have been sensible so why cant we realise that there is more to life than football and just cancel the season.
    I'd like to hear the plan in full before deciding.
    I think it always a good idea to hear the proposal before coming to a decision.
  • Options
    clb74 said:
    IF and I do mean IF they have come up with a plan that will work and will not be putting anyone at risk, then I don't see why not. 
    The premier league will try.
    What makes them so special?

IF they have a risk free plan (I'm not saying they have).
    Then it's little different to other workers being allowed to work, apart from injuries needing possible hospital treatment, but then I suppose we could say the same about someone on a building site having an accident.

The public playing football in a park wouldn't be the same as they wouldn't have been tested before and after etc.
    It's all about money at the end of the day.  Totally wrong.
  • Options
    clb74 said:

Then it's little different to other workers being allowed to work, apart from injuries needing possible hospital treatment, but then I suppose we could say the same about someone on a building site having an accident.

The public playing football in a park wouldn't be the same as they wouldn't have been tested before and after etc.
    Totally wrong if it's risking lives.
    Let's hear the plan before deciding (if there is a plan). 
  • Options
    clb74 said:

Can’t think of any other workers being allowed to work when it involves a great deal of contact with  other workers, and lots of panting and heavy breathing. 
    (Well I can as it happens....apart from that one I mean.)
    People who are back at work, like my missus, maintain full 2m social distancing. Especially when it’s with Piers Morgan. 
  • Options
    clb74 said:

It's also backed by the Government and not by all the PL Clubs:

There is "a feeling that the Government is railroading clubs into restarting when they are not ready to do so, to boost morale and deflect criticism from their handling of the pandemic"
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    clb74 said:

Can’t think of any other workers being allowed to work when it involves a great deal of contact with  other workers, and lots of panting and heavy breathing. 
    People who are back at work, like my missus, maintain full 2m social distancing. Especially when it’s with Piers Morgan. 
    Yes but IF the plan is for players/everyone involved, to be tested before and after and they are Covid free, then there SHOULD be no risk.
  • Options
    clb74 said:

It's also backed by the Government and not by all the PL Clubs:

There is "a feeling that the Government is railroading clubs into restarting when they are not ready to do so, to boost morale and deflect criticism from their handling of the pandemic"
    If we are serious about concerns of damage to mental health, then I suggest this must be a positive, for the percentage of the public that would enjoy this entertainment.
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    clb74 said:

Yes but IF the plan is for players/everyone involved, to be tested before and after and they are Covid free, then there SHOULD be no risk.
    The test isn’t foolproof though. 
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    clb74 said:

As in any employment, going back to work will be fully scrutinised.

If ONE person dies as a result of the Premier League returning, as outlined above - it will be a media fest.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited April 2020
    As some of you may know I run a sports sponsorship agency - and our clients includes EPL brands / sponsors. I have never posted 'in the know bollocks' around Charlton cos I have never been in the know. I have literally just had a note sent to me that suggests the following from the company that organises logistics and travel for a large number of EPL clubs:

Premier league will be back in June is what I have just been told. The company has been tasked to arrange hotels and travel for 8 weeks starting mid may.

All premier league teams will play their remaining games at St Georges Park behind closed doors and for TV only. The complex will host 2/3 games a day that will be streamed live.

The players will go into isolation mid may at select hotels in the vicinity of st georges and will train at local clubs grounds. They will not be able to see family and friends during the period of games. Each player will be tested regularly to ensure safety and hotels will be locked down for players only.

Looks like we are going to have a world cup style June with loads of games to watch.

Because I have literally copy and pasted an email - could this be made members only please or I will need to delete shortly? Otherwise on the off chance this post is seen it will be obvious where it has come from..

Cheers.
    This almost exact same scenario was mentioned on here just a few days ago......even down to using St Georges Park as a venue & there being 3 or 4 matches per day. 

Well done whomever came up with that idea on here. Maybe it was Sage....?
  • Options
    But there is no way they can be sure no one is at risk, so why risk it just to play football.

France have been sensible so why cant we realise that there is more to life than football and just cancel the season.
    Unless we're going to close down the country until there are no more daily cases then there's always going to be a risk.

Absolutely nothing wrong with the Premier league discussing potential ideas on how to play the games once a lockdown is eased and people are back to work. St Georges Park has world class facilities, a pitch that is supposed to be a replica of the one at Wembley and is more than capable of hosting games. 

If by June/July offices are allowed to reopen and we have people packing onto public transport, then 22 blokes kicking a ball about who are being regularly tested, isn't going to make the situation much worse.

However that said, i think the premier league will keep an eye on Germany and if (as i expect) they eventually realise it's not feasible and cancel their season then we'll follow.
  • Options
    A couple of things.
    If the government give this the go ahead there could be a free for all.
    Someone like Tim Martin will turn round and say im opening my pubs and i will go to court over it.
    Millions of people not knowing when they are going back to work or if there will be a job to go back to.
    If the government make a decision soon on football i do hope they got decision ready for other more important sectors.
  • Options
    When the Liverpool (or whoever) fans turn up to watch, which they will attempt to, whose going to disband them, whose going to the fans of any team gathering round someone’s house to watch a game? Whoever it is and it will be the police, they will be put at risk, same as the idiots who will attempt to watch the game at St James Park! Sheer money grabbing by the premier league, as bad a decision as letting Cheltenham go ahead, this could easily lead to yet another lockdown, just so the money grabbing gits can get paid, I’m beginning to detest football, let’s hope common sense prevails and not the pound notes, but unfortunately we all know what will happen.
  • Options
    clb74 said:

It’ll be a huge thing to have a risk free strategy to play the games at St George’s Park.
    20 clubs x players, coaches, medical staff plus 10 sets of officials is gonna be between 60l0 and 700 people. Then you have ground staff and facility workers, cleaners etc for the site plus media.
    the on site hotel has around 200 rooms which will force the majority to stay at other hotels. So add in the staff at those hotels, coach drivers, coach cleaners as people potentially away from their families for 2 months.
    I’ve probably missed something but that in itself is a huge ask.
    Then you have the fans who will undoubtedly gather, be it 1000s of scousers trying to get near St. George’s or anfield as they get the title plus all those that see it as an ease up on lockdown and go to each other’s houses to watch the games.
    we can just about keep Monday’s queue for pensions at the local post office 2metre apart.
  • Options
    Sounds like a terrible idea. Footballers locked away for a month to play on a training pitch with zero atmosphere, it'll be rubbish viewing 
    I'd take rubbish viewing over no viewing right now.

It's gotten so bad I've started watching live streams of my mates playing matches on Football Manager.
    I'd take no viewing and saving lives 

Over viewing and risking lives

Football isnt important and rushing it back is stupid, just so people have something to watch and to try and finish the season and potentially risk lives
    I appreciate tone is often lost on a forum such as this, but just to clarify for your benefit paulie I was being flippant.
  • Options
    I still think and it is only a view, that they will try and complete the football season, irrespective what  has happened elsewhere...
  • Options
    6 words explaining why the football authorities will never be able to keep teams locked up for 6 weeks.

Kyle Walker, Jack Grealish, Moss Keane. 
    You could have saved 30 seconds and just typed their surnames. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I quite liked the article on the BBC saying that Sport should be restarting from the bottom up not top down

e.g. With running why restart the London Marathon first, you'll have people coming from all over the country for said event - Instead start the park runs first, you wont have people travelling the country for those and the numbers will be smaller - Same with Football really, instead of focusing on starting games at the top it could easily be a case of starting the lower Non-League levels to begin with as fewer people required etc. (Unfortunately in Football's case everything has been cancelled below League Two)
  • Options
    I'm a bit dubious about this, but in the interests of balance there are a few potential positives - NB THIS IS ME TRYING TO THINK OF REASONS, RATHER THAN MY ACTUAL VIEWS

In the old days, cricketers would be away from their families for several months during overseas tours, especially the Ashes, though admittedly it was a different world when men weren't expected to get involved with all that "domestic stuff", so that aspect can be dealt with

St George's Park is also fairly remote, a few miles out of Burton upon Trent, so a reasonable distance from most big PL clubs other than Aston Villa. It wouldn't be hard to patrol the general area to root out any fans trying to get in.

And I can see the attraction of getting something going, if everyone is at home watching football on TV, that may take away some of the desire for people to go out and "do stuff". It may be seen as good for national morale to have something resuming.
  • Options
    6 words explaining why the football authorities will never be able to keep teams locked up for 6 weeks.

We could have saved a further minute by not bothering to reply.
  • Options

We are up to 1:30 now
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    As some of you may know I run a sports sponsorship agency - and our clients includes EPL brands / sponsors. I have never posted 'in the know bollocks' around Charlton cos I have never been in the know. I have literally just had a note sent to me that suggests the following from the company that organises logistics and travel for a large number of EPL clubs:

Premier league will be back in June is what I have just been told. The company has been tasked to arrange hotels and travel for 8 weeks starting mid may.

All premier league teams will play their remaining games at St Georges Park behind closed doors and for TV only. The complex will host 2/3 games a day that will be streamed live.

The players will go into isolation mid may at select hotels in the vicinity of st georges and will train at local clubs grounds. They will not be able to see family and friends during the period of games. Each player will be tested regularly to ensure safety and hotels will be locked down for players only.

Looks like we are going to have a world cup style June with loads of games to watch.

Because I have literally copy and pasted an email - could this be made members only please or I will need to delete shortly? Otherwise on the off chance this post is seen it will be obvious where it has come from..

Cheers.
    Well that seems like a fair and sensible way to treat hundreds of men. What the actual fuck goes through the minds of these governing bodies? What happens if a player refuses?
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    I do not see the point if you they are going to complete the PL only, because unless you complete the ELF leagues, you cannot fairly have promotion and relegation, so you might as well declare the season over. The Mayor of Liverpool does not want Liverpool declared as Champions as there will likely uncontrollable street celebrations. This all about Sky/BT monies.    
  • Options

We are up to 1:30 now
    I’ll help out and chip in with 15 seconds
  • Options
    clb74 said:
    A couple of things.
    If the government give this the go ahead there could be a free for all.
    Someone like Tim Martin will turn round and say im opening my pubs and i will go to court over it.
    Millions of people not knowing when they are going back to work or if there will be a job to go back to.
    If the government make a decision soon on football i do hope they got decision ready for other more important sectors.
    Nothing to stop Tim Martin doing the same as the PL are discussing. He can privately test all his staff, sequester them in hotels, professionally clean all his pubs, and have everyone working behind closed doors. 

He could even ask sky to televise it if he wanted, but I don’t think they’d pay much for the rights. 

• Options
    smiffyboy said:
    A message I got on WhatsApp make of it what you want.

THIS FROM A MATE WHO’S A TRAVEL WRITER:

Premier league is back in June. A sport travel agency that manages logistics for some top teams (spurs, city, wolves, newcastle, rangers to name a few). 
    Has been tasked with arranging hotels and travel for 8 weeks starting mid may. 

All premier league teams will play their remaining games at St. George’s Park, behind closed doors and for TV only. The complex will host 2/3 games a day that will be streamed live. 

The players will go into isolation mid may at select hotels in the vicinity of st georges and will train at local clubs grounds. 

They will not be able to see family and friends during the period of games. Each player will be tested regulary to ensure safety and hotels will be locked down for players only.

You really need to read this thread before you post. Old news.