Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Is the season going to finish? (ed. Pg.53 - 3 players not returned to training)

Comments

• edited May 2020
    If they demand a completed season then as Lyle said in his interview the least worst option I can see is promotion no relegation so a 22 team Premier League next season and scrapping the League Cup (or at least dropping Premier League teams from it) for a season to compensate for the inevitable fixture congestion complaints.

That means Premier League is the current 20 plus Leeds & WBA.

Scrap the playoffs for the EFL divisions.

The Championship will retain 24 teams by promoting two automatic spots from League One.

League Two will promote three automatic as they do usually to bring the League One numbers back to 24.

Conference teams promote up to three teams to League Two resulting in a 21-24 team fourth tier league next year depending on what the National League decide to do.

• Relegating teams with a realistic prospect of saving themselves is patently unfair. 
  • Sounds like verses from Billy Joel's 'We Didn't Start The Fire'.
    Haha! I just read it in that style and a lot of it works!

If he’d put “PL2 Breakaway” last then you could follow it with “What else do I have to say?” and it’s done!
    😂
  • Sounds like verses from Billy Joel's 'We Didn't Start The Fire'.
    Funnily Andy actually mentions in a final tweet that his comments could be translated by someone into that tune
  • Have the efl forgot about the Derby and Sheffield Wednesday issues re points deductions ? Guessing that will happen nect season now if at all. 
  • Looks like we are down then.
    At least our season tickets will be cheaper ...
  • In addition, Championship clubs met earlier this week and have indicated that it is their wish to play on and conclude the season.  

The EFL will continue to work with all its members to progress the discussions and arrive at the necessary decisions as appropriate in what remain challenging and complex circumstances.

https://www.cafc.co.uk/news/view/5ebeae3f9fbeb/efl-statement-coronavirus-update-15052020

• Addick90 said:
    I have some questions that I have been mulling over and they may have been discussed on here previously-

1) If we were relegated which would effectively happen if the season was ended based on current standings or PPG averages (even if done fully or with home and away ratios), does anyone have any idea what would be the standpoint legally for charlton in terms of feasibility of mounting a challenge against it?

2) if we are handed a deduction or we end up even worse in administration because of the possible ramifications from the EFL, would we have any standing legally, as a fan group or club, to contest the part that efl played in this whole process?  The reason I ask this is because despite the many failings of the club and those running it, and the excuses that efl have given- namely that they only have to ratify a takeover not whether someone invests straight away (and then seemingly deal with the consequences later as per our eventual embargo and still unsettled proof of funds) - would this not shine a light on holes within the EFL as an organisation and their methods to such a point that they would rather not expose and bring into public light? 
    The reason I ask these is because as per that EFL statement on the website they say that should the season not be finished then promotion  and relegation would still go ahead and that they would do it on ppg. But it is Up to the individual leagues...
  • edited May 2020
    Daily Mail states that championship clubs will each have to pay £208,000 for virus testing kits. That rules us out.
  • Sponsored links:

• shine166 said:
    Looks like we are down then.
    At least our season tickets will be cheaper ...
    It’s pretty much free to watch football in a park !
  • The league 2 clubs can’t have it both ways. 
    Promotion and play offs but no relegation. 

Either ‘up and down’  or no movement at all. 

• Relegating teams with a realistic prospect of saving themselves is patently unfair. 
    Promoting teams is also unfair, Leeds and West Brom are 7 and 6 points clear of Fulham with 9 games to go.

Look how the Championship changes over a few games. The top two were about 10 points clear at Christmas and then got hauled back and have now opened up again.

Not long ago Sheffield Wednesday nearly went third but are now 15th.

Who knows how this will be resolved.

• Leicester were about 8 points from safety with 9 games to play and they stayed up. 

Had a pretty good season the next year too.....

• 22 points from last 9 games ! 
  • I suppose if you are going to bring in a ridiculous system to decide who goes up and down, even if you get a few extra games in, you are making it a bit fairer. Personally, I can't see how we are not going to have to go into lockdown again so planning for a restart is probably not going to result in anything.  
  • MrOneLung said:
    Leicester were about 8 points from safety with 9 games to play and they stayed up. 

Had a pretty good season the next year too.....

Perhaps MS is not so daft. The thought of us being relegated then suing the EFL for loss of profit for being relegated and also the loss that we could win the league the following year. 

Makes sence as to why he's staying about lol 
  • edited May 2020
    Daily Mail states that championship clubs will each have to pay £208,000 for virus testing kits. That rules us out.
    Or to put it in a more relatable currency, that's about 2 Range Rovers' worth
  • My latest 2 penneth on the last 3 pages......

Weighted PPG does not take into account form as a pp said. We might have gone down if the season had finished naturally. Hull certainly would have been in trouble & I have a feeling that one of Luton & Barnsley  would have survived. However, with 9 games to go ANYTHING could have happened. A vital player injured, a manager sacked & the club gets a "new manager " bounce. One thing we all know & love about football is its unpredictability. If it was down to a matter of statistics & averages then no-one would go every week. The BBC ran a poll last week about the Premier Leagues top 10 relegation survivals. You only have to read that to see that teams do get out of relegation scraps.

• Sponsored links:

Agree. And surely if it was to be proposed this must end up in the hands of My Learned Friends (if we can find a few bob to fund the case). In fact I should have thought even the threat of doing this would start to focus minds. 
  • Saw this on Facebook, not football related, but it did make me laugh and could imagine it’s what football will be like ...

• edited May 2020
    My latest 2 penneth on the last 3 pages......

Weighted PPG does not take into account form as a pp said. We might have gone down if the season had finished naturally. Hull certainly would have been in trouble & I have a feeling that one of Luton & Barnsley  would have survived. However, with 9 games to go ANYTHING could have happened. A vital player injured, a manager sacked & the club gets a "new manager " bounce. One thing we all know & love about football is its unpredictability. If it was down to a matter of statistics & averages then no-one would go every week. The BBC ran a poll last week about the Premier Leagues top 10 relegation survivals. You only have to read that to see that teams do get out of relegation scraps.

So looking at the top 7 in the Championship, we have played 5 of them twice! That is an 86% play rate. When you look at the numbers of games remaining, the average should be 80%. 
  • The way I see it, the season will have to be completed by the end of June and between now and then they have to fit in 9 games to complete it. And that isn't allowing for delays that virus outbreaks would cause. So to get nine games in, playing every three days, you need 27 days. So that would mean starting around 4th June. It just isn't going to happen in this country.
    Don’t forget, you’ll need at least 10 days after the final league game to complete the playoffs. A couple of days rest, then two legged SF and a final in a week. That’s if they really mean complete the season. 
  • clive said:

In addition, Championship clubs met earlier this week and have indicated that it is their wish to play on and conclude the season.  

The EFL will continue to work with all its members to progress the discussions and arrive at the necessary decisions as appropriate in what remain challenging and complex circumstances.

https://www.cafc.co.uk/news/view/5ebeae3f9fbeb/efl-statement-coronavirus-update-15052020

It’s great that they want to complete the season, but what if they can’t. What is their Plan B?
  • PPG by the looks of it.
  • PPG is a complete cop out.
    Yep, you're right there, Muttley.

In practice, might as well have it finished it after 23 games or even 10.  
    Just as nonsensical. And just as unfair.

Or just void it.

• edited May 2020
    Or the PPAL system.......... Percentage points against Leeds. I think we would be on 100 points with that one.