Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Is the season going to finish? (ed. Pg.53 - 3 players not returned to training)

Comments

• Given the lack of preparation proposed, it is a shame we don't still have JFH, Barnes, Redfern and Milne on our books. Nobody would notice they are out of shape.
    You reckon? Fuck me, after three months off training I reckon Milne wouldn't be able to walk, let alone run, the useless prick
  • basically any solution where we aren't relegated is fine... anything else is AN UTTER DISGRACE!!!!!!

and that's how every club feels if they get stuck with the short straw. 
  • Given the lack of preparation proposed, it is a shame we don't still have JFH, Barnes, Redfern and Milne on our books. Nobody would notice they are out of shape.
    You reckon? Fuck me, after three months off training I reckon Milne wouldn't be able to walk, let alone run, the useless prick
    Oi!
  • Spike in cases in Germany. Merkel “rethinking” the relaxation of restrictions.

But as long as we can watch a game of fußball, eh?

https://www.express.co.uk/news/world/1281241/germany-coronavirus-cases-jump-lockdown-lift-tougher-lockdown-rules-angela-merkel
  • Oggy Red said:
    clive said:
    So EFL have said no training at all until May 25th.

No way will the season restart less than 2 weeks after that 
    Wasn't there some date of 6th June proposed to attempt to re-start the Championship?

There's also the question of fitness. It's a big ask. Remember players haven't played or properly trained for 11 weeks.

Thats what I am saying, the date of June 6th cant be right, if the EFL are saying training cant resume until 25th May they cant expect the season to resume less than 2 weeks later

The date of June 6th was an article from the mirror so you wonder how accurate it is lol
    It wasn't just in The Mirror it was in the statement put out today. The EFL would like to re-start on the 6th but more likely to be the 12th in line with The Premier League.
    Where in the EFL statement does it  mention any restart dates.

The EFL Board has met today to further consider the many complex financial and operational matters resulting out of the COVID-19 crisis, including how the 2019/20 campaign is concluded.

While there is much debate and discussion taking place publicly and privately regarding what should, or could, happen next, the EFL will continue to undertake consultation with our members before the next steps are determined.  

Current attention is clearly on the immediate next steps, but the long-term impact on the League and its Clubs remains as stark as previously outlined, and solutions are still required to fill the financial hole left by the crisis. The consequences of the COVID-19 pandemic will not be rectified simply by a return to play behind closed doors. 

In addition, the EFL is mindful of the pressing need for clarity in a number of areas, including the practicalities and timeframes of Clubs being able to facilitate a return to training. To address this, Clubs have today been issued with the latest draft of the EFL’s ‘Return to Training Protocols’, so that they can prepare appropriately. 

However, until all outstanding matters are concluded, including finalising a comprehensive testing programme on matchdays and non-matchdays, the EFL Board has informed its Clubs that a return to training should not take place until 25 May at the earliest.

Dialogue continues with our colleagues across the footballing and political landscape regarding these and other issues, and the EFL is committed to keeping all relevant parties updated on key decisions and developments as they occur.

https://www.efl.com/news/2020/may/efl-statement-coronavirus-update/
  • Black players are most at risk but I have not heard any mention. Has any thought been given to this issue?
  • the championship are sort of at the liberty of the premier league, as i believe the fa have stated they will enforce 3 relegations from the prem. 

regarding the brighton players and the "3 confirmed cases" 2 of them were from march and are highly to be believed to be lewis dunk and shane duffy who were both at cheltenham races. 
  • Hasn't Sadiq Khan said June is too early to resume football in London.?

Without his agreement surely that is the end of the matter here in London? 
  • whatever anyone says, it ain't gonna happen.....even if by some remote chance they managed to start, I can't see it finishing and all the games being played.

the contract issue more than anything will probably see to that.

I don't know what they will do to resolve it.
  • Sponsored links:

• I fear it will take the serious illness or death of a Prem player / manager for the whole 'when can we restart' arguments to end.

• clive said:
    Oggy Red said:
    clive said:
    So EFL have said no training at all until May 25th.

No way will the season restart less than 2 weeks after that 
    Wasn't there some date of 6th June proposed to attempt to re-start the Championship?

There's also the question of fitness. It's a big ask. Remember players haven't played or properly trained for 11 weeks.

Thats what I am saying, the date of June 6th cant be right, if the EFL are saying training cant resume until 25th May they cant expect the season to resume less than 2 weeks later

The date of June 6th was an article from the mirror so you wonder how accurate it is lol
    It wasn't just in The Mirror it was in the statement put out today. The EFL would like to re-start on the 6th but more likely to be the 12th in line with The Premier League.
    Where in the EFL statement does it  mention any restart dates.

The EFL Board has met today to further consider the many complex financial and operational matters resulting out of the COVID-19 crisis, including how the 2019/20 campaign is concluded.

While there is much debate and discussion taking place publicly and privately regarding what should, or could, happen next, the EFL will continue to undertake consultation with our members before the next steps are determined.  

Current attention is clearly on the immediate next steps, but the long-term impact on the League and its Clubs remains as stark as previously outlined, and solutions are still required to fill the financial hole left by the crisis. The consequences of the COVID-19 pandemic will not be rectified simply by a return to play behind closed doors. 

In addition, the EFL is mindful of the pressing need for clarity in a number of areas, including the practicalities and timeframes of Clubs being able to facilitate a return to training. To address this, Clubs have today been issued with the latest draft of the EFL’s ‘Return to Training Protocols’, so that they can prepare appropriately. 

However, until all outstanding matters are concluded, including finalising a comprehensive testing programme on matchdays and non-matchdays, the EFL Board has informed its Clubs that a return to training should not take place until 25 May at the earliest.

Dialogue continues with our colleagues across the footballing and political landscape regarding these and other issues, and the EFL is committed to keeping all relevant parties updated on key decisions and developments as they occur.

https://www.efl.com/news/2020/may/efl-statement-coronavirus-update/
    As Mrs cafcfan said "merely an exercise in drafting twaddle".
  • If they're only returning to training on 25th May, god knows how they will complete the remaining fixtures before 30th June. Which I assume it will need to be by then, as all of our players will be gone the day after.
  • If they're only returning to training on 25th May, god knows how they will complete the remaining fixtures before 30th June. Which I assume it will need to be by then, as all of our players will be gone the day after.
    I expect the EFL will just say that clubs will just have to carry on. In their eyes it's no different to the January transfer window opening, a club losing a load of players & not placing them, and then the window shutting. IE........not their problem. As long as you can start a game with the minimum amount of players (8?) they wont give a fuck. 
  • Managers of Championship clubs meeting today, doubt we will get much from it but I hope most agree with what Bowyer has been saying all throughout this. 
  • edited May 2020
    400+ deaths per day. Easing of restrictions was far too early and will be cancelled in next 14 days following spike, ruling any football, apart from penalty shoot-outs, null and void
  • https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52665805

So looks like it’s on.

If we want to stay up it looks like it will have to be on a (behind closed doors) pitch and not via a null and void technicality.
    I expect the EFL will just say that clubs will just have to carry on. In their eyes it's no different to the January transfer window opening, a club losing a load of players & not placing them, and then the window shutting. IE........not their problem. As long as you can start a game with the minimum amount of players (8?) they wont give a fuck. 
    Nowhere near the same as you cant sign anyone
  • I still don't think this season is going to finish. There are so many problems with this, least of all player and staff safety. The whole "Project Restart" seems so dumb to me. 

AT BEST, they will taking away tens of thousands of tests that could be used on the general public. 

At worst, players and staff and their families are putting their lives at risk.  
  • Sponsored links:

• So, if the government allow football to restart on 12th June does that mean lockdown is over, as it will mean 2 sets of players being less than 2 metres from each other ?
  • shine166 said:
    If they're only returning to training on 25th May, god knows how they will complete the remaining fixtures before 30th June. Which I assume it will need to be by then, as all of our players will be gone the day after.
    Nowhere near the same as you cant sign anyone
    I didn't say it was the same, merely pointing out that the EFL wont be bothered. Not their problem. 
  • Does anybody know whether any of our players that were injured going into lockdown have been able to get treatment and recover, subject to training/match fitness? 
  • Does anybody know whether any of our players that were injured going into lockdown have been able to get treatment and recover, subject to training/match fitness? 
    On Talksport the other day LB said all of his injured players are now fit, how fit I do not know, but no players are match fit
  • Thanks ross1
  • edited May 2020
    From the Peterborough owner on twitter:

***Breaking News*** I have been asked to relay this message on behalf of @OUFCOfficial, @ftfc, @Pompey, @SunderlandAFC, @IpswichTown, @theposhofficial, to the @EFL & the media ahead of the our @SkyBetLeagueOne meeting tomorrow morning... We as a collective are United in our goal to finish this season. We have no desire for voiding the season, PPG scenario’s/letting a computer decide our footballing fate. For our fans/staff & for the integrity of our sport we are all looking forward to completing our pending... Fixtures/season under guidance from the EFL at a time it is deemed safe to do so. Thank you for your time.

So six teams are against anything other than the season restarting in League One
  • Will definitely go ahead. I think the government think that having football will give that aire of normality to the thick masses. I’d be amazed now if anything stops it. The priority now is to get the country back up and running. 
  • The logic will be that if the players are tested regularly enough, there won't be any chance of them passing the virus on to other players on the pitch

Personally I'd be more worried about support staff, kitmen, physios, some of the coaches, all of whom will be older and less fit.