Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Is the season going to finish? (ed. Pg.53 - 3 players not returned to training)

Comments

• German Football isnt like that though so far as Im aware

i.e. They've had protests from fans over Monday Night Football of late as dont agree with having games set that way
    I get that but fans wont be attending anyway lol, I just thought the German FA might try to get the games to as many people as possible and see this as an opportunity, they do have a game on Monday night so they clearly are not that bothered lol.

Just surprised that over half that games (5/9) are kicking off at the exact same time
  • Off_it said:
    I’m still waiting for the “footballers fund” that was banded around a few weeks back.

i know Aon as a company have gone anyone on 50k plus is taking a 20% pay cut to help business - why can’t footballers do it? 

Used to detest the guy but Simon jordan is time and time again on the money. 

Simon Jordan is a lesson in life for us all: Do not judge someone too soon, particularly someone who you've never met.
    Really? But he was a 24 carat **** back in the day, so people judged him as one.

Maybe the lesson is more that people can change over time. Him and us.
    Maybe but in that case I need reminding of what he did that was so awful.
  • I just dont see how the EFL justify saying that Championship can finish games but League 1 and League 2 cant.

They are basically putting one league ahead of the other 2
    I tweeted them a few days ago to ask how they can scrap two divisions but not the championship. 

• I could kind of understand why they werent going to complete League One or Two when there was the prospect of playing all Premier League games at a neutral venue

To be honest had they done that then I reckon the Championship would have gone the same way and we'd have seen an incomplete season

Instead they're happy to play Premier League games at standard venues so should surely be easier to play L1 and L2 games at each respective venue as the smaller the club, the smaller the staff required in the background? 
  • MrOneLung said:
    I just dont see how the EFL justify saying that Championship can finish games but League 1 and League 2 cant.

They are basically putting one league ahead of the other 2
    I tweeted them a few days ago to ask how they can scrap two divisions but not the championship. 

Seeing as all the Championship clubs have played the same number of games, whereas in the other 2 leagues they haven't, with some teams having 2 or 3 games in hand I find this extremely bizarre. If anything it should be the other way round. 

Perhaps you can tweet them again & ask  for a comment as I'd love to know their reasoning for this.
  • German Football isnt like that though so far as Im aware

i.e. They've had protests from fans over Monday Night Football of late as dont agree with having games set that way
    I get that but fans wont be attending anyway lol, I just thought the German FA might try to get the games to as many people as possible and see this as an opportunity, they do have a game on Monday night so they clearly are not that bothered lol.

Just surprised that over half that games (5/9) are kicking off at the exact same time
    German fans are mad about kick off times, it’s a very tetchy subject there. I was actually surprised, even though there won’t be any fans there, there were so many games on over the weekend. 
  • Start on 6th June (D Day......so ironic), so that gives teams just over 3 weeks FROM NOW to get fully fit, as well as getting all the testing done. 

Then 3 weeks later around 1/3 of all players are out of contract.

Love to see that one work.
  • Sponsored links:

• I assume the games would be played in their original order? In that case we'd start with the crucial relegation 6 pointer at Hull...
  • Excellent.

It will end in tears.
  • edited May 2020

The EFL Board met today (Wednesday, March 13th) to further consider the many complex financial and operational matters resulting out of the COVID-19 crisis, including how the 2019/20 campaign is concluded.

While there is much debate and discussion taking place publicly and privately regarding what should, or could, happen next, the EFL will continue to undertake consultation with our members before the next steps are determined. 

Current attention is clearly on the immediate next steps, but the long-term impact on the league and its clubs remains as stark as previously outlined, and solutions are still required to fill the financial hole left by the crisis. The consequences of the COVID-19 pandemic will not be rectified simply by a return to play behind closed doors. 

In addition, the EFL is mindful of the pressing need for clarity in a number of areas, including the practicalities and timeframes of clubs being able to facilitate a return to training. To address this, clubs have today been issued with the latest draft of the EFL’s ‘Return to Training Protocols’, so that they can prepare appropriately. 

However, until all outstanding matters are concluded, including finalising a comprehensive testing programme on matchdays and non-matchdays, the EFL Board has informed its clubs that a return to training should not take place until May 25th at the earliest.

Dialogue continues with our colleagues across the footballing and political landscape regarding these and other issues, and the EFL is committed to keeping all relevant parties updated on key decisions and developments as they occur.

https://www.cafc.co.uk/news/view/5ebc41449c344/efl-statement-coronavirus-update-13052020
  • Great to see the St Johns Ambulance being wasted when it should be deployed in areas more needed
  • clive said:
    So EFL have said no training at all until May 25th.

No way will the season restart less than 2 weeks after that 
  • clive said:

Wasn't there some date of 6th June proposed to attempt to re-start the Championship?

There's also the question of fitness. It's a big ask. Remember players haven't played or properly trained for 11 weeks.

• edited May 2020
    Oggy Red said:
    clive said:

Wasn't there some date of 6th June proposed to attempt to re-start the Championship?

There's also the question of fitness. It's a big ask. Remember players haven't played or properly trained for 11 weeks.

Thats what I am saying, the date of June 6th cant be right, if the EFL are saying training cant resume until 25th May they cant expect the season to resume less than 2 weeks later

The date of June 6th was an article from the mirror so you wonder how accurate it is lol
  • This has probably been said before, but if the Div 1 & 2 seasons have finished, there can be no play offs for 3rd place, so no third promotion. So 2 up and 2 down? Not us!
  • This has probably been said before, but if the Div 1 & 2 seasons have finished, there can be no play offs for 3rd place, so no third promotion. So 2 up and 2 down? Not us!
    They have said there is a possibility they would do playoffs as well in league 1 and league 2 (top 6 based on PPG) i guess it would only be one legged games so 6 games total in a neutral venue over both divisions
  • Sponsored links:

• I imagine clubs are giving their players some serious fitness routines now, as they'll only have 2 or 3 weeks of training before matches resume
  • IT_Andy said:
    Just read the Premier League training protocols. No tackling and disinfect the balls corner flags and pitches.
    That must make all non contact.  Training's going to really boring then.
    We should be ok. Miss a load of tackles and the ball goes nowhere near anyone from corners or free kicks. As people have said before some of our defenders will be in their element with social distancing against any attack. 
  • The first few games after the restart (if there is a restart) are going to be atrocious as the players will be miles off match fitness. They’ve had twice as long as the normal month of June off-season off and will get two weeks “pre-season” rather than the usual six or so before the season re-starts. 
  • Given the lack of preparation proposed, it is a shame we don't still have JFH, Barnes, Redfern and Milne on our books. Nobody would notice they are out of shape.
  • Valley11 said:
    Quite honestly, who gives a fk about football at a time like this? 
    Cancel the season. Promote the top two from each league. Suspend relegation and start next season when it is absolutely safe to do so. 
    Tough shit if you’re in the playoffs. We’re talking about putting people’s lives at risk here, and not just the obvious ones. 

Why cancel relegation but still promote ? 
    Why should top 2 go up as it stands now ? 
  • If football does come back to complete the season there will have been a longer gap than every summer between seasons. 

Will feel more like a new season than finishing an old one. 
  • Off_it said:
    I’m still waiting for the “footballers fund” that was banded around a few weeks back.

i know Aon as a company have gone anyone on 50k plus is taking a 20% pay cut to help business - why can’t footballers do it? 

Used to detest the guy but Simon jordan is time and time again on the money. 

Simon Jordan is a lesson in life for us all: Do not judge someone too soon, particularly someone who you've never met.
    Really? But he was a 24 carat **** back in the day, so people judged him as one.

Maybe the lesson is more that people can change over time. Him and us.
    Exactly, bloke was a multi millionaire in his early 30s after selling his mobile phone company and came across as (and probably was) a flash c*nt.

Many people in life (myself included) would probably be a bit of a flash prick if they had become a multi millionaire at 30.

He's 52 now. Older and wiser.
    I was skint at 30, was still a prick.  Some people probably think I was at 40 as well. 

Hopefully at 52 I'll be at least "all right" 
  • se9addick said:
    The first few games after the restart (if there is a restart) are going to be atrocious as the players will be miles off match fitness. They’ve had twice as long as the normal month of June off-season off and will get two weeks “pre-season” rather than the usual six or so before the season re-starts. 
    They’ll answer that by use of more subs. 

It’s all a big joke and we shouldn’t even be discussing finishing the season. Cancel it and stop wasting everyone’s time. Tough shit if you’re 10 points clear at the top, just be thankful you’re alive.
    This is my take on it
  • Oggy Red said:
    clive said:

Thats what I am saying, the date of June 6th cant be right, if the EFL are saying training cant resume until 25th May they cant expect the season to resume less than 2 weeks later

The date of June 6th was an article from the mirror so you wonder how accurate it is lol
    It wasn't just in The Mirror it was in the statement put out today. The EFL would like to re-start on the 6th but more likely to be the 12th in line with The Premier League.