Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Is the season going to finish? (ed. Pg.53 - 3 players not returned to training)

Comments

• Has Hemed been allowed to fly back do we know
  • SDAddick said:
    I still don't think this season is going to finish. There are so many problems with this, least of all player and staff safety. The whole "Project Restart" seems so dumb to me. 

AT BEST, they will taking away tens of thousands of tests that could be used on the general public. 

At worst, players and staff and their families are putting their lives at risk.  

As much as I dislike the average mercenary footballer, I hope they tell the authorities to f*** off and refuse to play the first option they get.

I feel sorry for them at the moment, and I never thought I'd say that when they are trousering 200k upwards a week.
  • Will definitely go ahead. I think the government think that having football will give that aire of normality to the thick masses. I’d be amazed now if anything stops it. The priority now is to get the country back up and running. 
    I can see it starting up again, but it finishing it another challenge yet. I guess trying to finish a season in three weeks (Jun 12-30) means that if people in the game contract the disease (they will), by the time they're symptomatic, the league could be over/nearly over. 
  • I can see the prem getting Liverpool and City to play a few games until they can crown Liverpool champs and then announce scrapping relegation. They will then tell EFL there are two promotion places and up to them how they sort that out. 
    I can't imagine he'd be too gutted he wasn't able to...

Still in Israel I assume from the photo on Instagram yesterday. Safe at home with his family, in a country with low levels of fatalities; coming back for a relegation struggle probably doesn't sound very appealing...
  • From the Peterborough owner on twitter:

***Breaking News*** I have been asked to relay this message on behalf of @OUFCOfficial, @ftfc, @Pompey, @SunderlandAFC, @IpswichTown, @theposhofficial, to the @EFL & the media ahead of the our @SkyBetLeagueOne meeting tomorrow morning... We as a collective are United in our goal to finish this season. We have no desire for voiding the season, PPG scenario’s/letting a computer decide our footballing fate. For our fans/staff & for the integrity of our sport we are all looking forward to completing our pending... Fixtures/season under guidance from the EFL at a time it is deemed safe to do so. Thank you for your time.

So six teams are against anything other than the season restarting in League One
    So in other words, this is six teams around the promotion spots screeching 'BUT WE WANT TO GET PROMOTED!!' and not giving a shit about the health of their players or staff who will have to be involved in making games happen and putting pressure on other teams via the media ahead of a meeting. That's not breaking news, that's a selfish prick directly informing everyone what a selfish prick he is, along with five other selfish pricks. What a bell, no wonder him and Southall are mates.
    No different from teams threatened with relegation like Brighton screaming for null and void. Football clubs will always be heavily focussed on self preservation in this situation
  • Bread and circuses! 
  • From the Peterborough owner on twitter:

***Breaking News*** I have been asked to relay this message on behalf of @OUFCOfficial, @ftfc, @Pompey, @SunderlandAFC, @IpswichTown, @theposhofficial, to the @EFL & the media ahead of the our @SkyBetLeagueOne meeting tomorrow morning... We as a collective are United in our goal to finish this season. We have no desire for voiding the season, PPG scenario’s/letting a computer decide our footballing fate. For our fans/staff & for the integrity of our sport we are all looking forward to completing our pending... Fixtures/season under guidance from the EFL at a time it is deemed safe to do so. Thank you for your time.

So six teams are against anything other than the season restarting in League One
    So in other words, this is six teams around the promotion spots screeching 'BUT WE WANT TO GET PROMOTED!!' and not giving a shit about the health of their players or staff who will have to be involved in making games happen and putting pressure on other teams via the media ahead of a meeting. That's not breaking news, that's a selfish prick directly informing everyone what a selfish prick he is, along with five other selfish pricks. What a bell, no wonder him and Southall are mates.
    No different from teams threatened with relegation like Charlton screaming for null and void. Football clubs will always be heavily focussed on self preservation in this situation

• Sponsored links:

Still in Israel I assume from the photo on Instagram yesterday. Safe at home with his family, in a country with low levels of fatalities; coming back for a relegation struggle probably doesn't sound very appealing...
    I don't think he's worn a shirt in weeks and he seems to be having a lovely time while staying fit. Yeah, I wouldn't come back either. 

Well, seeing as he is on a contract I'd imagine there would be fines if he didnt turn up to training. Not that I'd want to see him fined, but if that is the rules then you'd better stick bu then. 

Then again, it would be far better if all the players just said no, we are not playing. Under health & safety laws you are not protecting us. All then go on strike. 

Well, seeing as he is on a contract I'd imagine there would be fines if he didnt turn up to training. Not that I'd want to see him fined, but if that is the rules then you'd better stick bu then. 

Then again, it would be far better if all the players just said no, we are not playing. Under health & safety laws you are not protecting us. All then go on strike. 
    I would support them. I think they would also have a very good case that, by protecting us (the players), you are risking not adequately supporting NHS staff and the British public at large, and we cannot support that.

Unless they're able to quarantine away from their family once training starts through two weeks after the season ends, players will also be putting their families at risk as well. 
  • SDAddick said:
    I still don't think this season is going to finish. There are so many problems with this, least of all player and staff safety. The whole "Project Restart" seems so dumb to me. 

AT BEST, they will taking away tens of thousands of tests that could be used on the general public. 

At worst, players and staff and their families are putting their lives at risk.  
    Agreed. Personally i think we'll resume games, at some point a couple of players will test positive, their teams entire squads and their last opponents will need to isolate and it'll become total chaos.

What do the PL do if we get down to the last couple of games and a player from a relegation threatened side tests positive and that team can't play games for 2 weeks? Do the rest play on and that team fulfil their fixtures later whilst knowing what results they need to ensure staying up?
  • ross1 said:
    Does anybody know whether any of our players that were injured going into lockdown have been able to get treatment and recover, subject to training/match fitness? 
    On Talksport the other day LB said all of his injured players are now fit, how fit I do not know, but no players are match fit
    It would be ironic if a Lewis Page in peak condition turns out to be our star man and saviour...
    Give it a couple of weeks and we'll hear a "Page has broken down in training" report.
  • "Augsburg head coach Heiko Herrlich will miss the Bundesliga restart after breaching quarantine rules by leaving the team hotel to buy toothpaste."
  • 400+ deaths per day. Easing of restrictions was far too early and will be cancelled in next 14 days following spike, ruling any football, apart from penalty shoot-outs, null and void
    For what must be the 1000th time - we are NOT at 400 deaths per day. More like 150-odd. The figure of 400 includes deaths retrodated to earlier. Whilst 150 people dying in a day is grim, its not the correct figure. Still fucking stupid them even considering restating football, mind. 
    So it must also be true that there are currently unreported deaths atm that we won’t see for 4~6 weeks? 
  • If your work made it safe to do so, and you refuse to go back do you expect to be sacked? Let’s be honest players are going to be better protected than the rest of us. 
  • MrOneLung said:
    I fear it will take the serious illness or death of a Prem player / manager for the whole 'when can we restart' arguments to end.

From what I recall, it was around early March time when Mikel Arteta and Callum Hudson Odoi tested positive, and football immediately retreated and everything got called off.

Yet Brighton have already said they’ve got three positive cases, and the Premier League are basically just trying to turn a blind eye to it.

I would absolutely love a player or manager at the one of the top clubs, someone like a Harry Kane or Pep Guardiola, to come out and just completely lambast the idea of returning. 

The Premier League won’t be forgiven for the way they’ve carried on throughout all this.
  • Valley11 said:
    Quite honestly, who gives a fk about football at a time like this? 
    Cancel the season. Promote the top two from each league. Suspend relegation and start next season when it is absolutely safe to do so. 
    Tough shit if you’re in the playoffs. We’re talking about putting people’s lives at risk here, and not just the obvious ones. 

I am sorry, but i still dont get where this concept is promote 2 teams, but dont relegate. Surely both ways it should be the same whatever the decision may be? the only difference could be if only Premiership and Championship resume and leagues below dont that would make sense kind off. 

Its all a mess should just void the season. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Valley11 said:
    Quite honestly, who gives a fk about football at a time like this? 
    Cancel the season. Promote the top two from each league. Suspend relegation and start next season when it is absolutely safe to do so. 
    Tough shit if you’re in the playoffs. We’re talking about putting people’s lives at risk here, and not just the obvious ones. 

I am sorry, but i still dont get where this concept is promote 2 teams, but dont relegate. Surely both ways it should be the same whatever the decision may be? the only difference could be if only Premiership and Championship resume and leagues below dont that would make sense kind off. 

Its all a mess should just void the season. 
    It makes sense, as the least amount of litigation would ensue.
    The top two in the Championship and League One and the top three in League Two are in the automatic promotion places on merit and couldn't be overtaken by any teams with games in hand. I would promote those teams and scrap any play-offs and relegation this season. The discrepancies in league numbers could then be adjusted over the next year or two.
    I think that it is ridiculous to try to complete any of the EFL fixtures and any team relegated without completing the season would surely sue their league, as would those teams in the automatic promotion places if they were not promoted. 
  • "Augsburg head coach Heiko Herrlich will miss the Bundesliga restart after breaching quarantine rules by leaving the team hotel to buy toothpaste."
    This is all madness. Am I still excited to watch tomorrow? You bet I am...
  • Am surprised there are no Korean games on YouTube this weekend

Unless the numbers werent as high as hoped you'd have thought that they'd continue to take advantage of being one of a handful of Leagues in operation
  • 400+ deaths per day. Easing of restrictions was far too early and will be cancelled in next 14 days following spike, ruling any football, apart from penalty shoot-outs, null and void
    For what must be the 1000th time - we are NOT at 400 deaths per day. More like 150-odd. The figure of 400 includes deaths retrodated to earlier. Whilst 150 people dying in a day is grim, its not the correct figure. Still fucking stupid them even considering restating football, mind. 
    So it must also be true that there are currently unreported deaths atm that we won’t see for 4~6 weeks? 
    Spot on. 
  • If football restarts, then so will the whole of professional sport. The government will not be issuing guidance for just football. 
  • edited May 2020
    From the Peterborough owner on twitter:

No different from teams threatened with relegation like Charlton screaming for null and void. Football clubs will always be heavily focused on self preservation in this situation

So if we assume that all teams in with a shout of promotion want to complete the season, and all those in danger of relegation don't, then that just leaves those in the middle with little to play for. How would they vote?
    And when we say 'they', do we mean the clubs' owners, who will presumably want any income playing on might generate, or the players, who are the ones taking the risk?
    So it is indeed a mess.
  • Redrobo said:
    If football restarts, then so will the whole of professional sport. The government will not be issuing guidance for just football. 
    Cricket is still planning to restart later in the summer, there's talk of the England and Windies players being kept in a bubble, effectively isolated from society for the length of the series