Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Is the season going to finish? (ed. Pg.53 - 3 players not returned to training)

Comments

• And look on the bright side... If no further games get played we'll go down having played 37-games and will be replaced by a team getting promoted after 34-games. 

Thats not worthy of being promoted / relegated
  • edited May 2020
    They had to keep the play offs to get the votes. There are probably 3 teams that have nothing to play for and probably would rather pack it in - which you can understand. Then you have 6 teams happy that they are in a promotion or play off slot and 5 teams in danger of relegation who would rather not play. Add the 6 at the top to the 5 just above the dropzone and you have 11. In a 24 team league you only need 2 of Reading, Sheff Wed or Birmingham to side with those and you have your vote.

It is about vested interests. Otherwise they would have made it clear what would happen if they could not play the play offs. If they promoted the 3rd place team, they would lose 3 votes and not have the numbers! It is a disgrace and shameful.  
  • Bizarre that they should retain the play-offs, but not give the teams in the bottom 3 the opportunity to determine their position.

If they’re gonna relegate the bottom 3 they should promote the top 3. 

This statement sounds like desperate can kicking, with more questions coming up than answers.
  • Didn’t everyone want null and void when it looked like we would stay up off the back of it. Now we are all pushing to play on? 

Well - put it this way we need to play on. Null and void was never going to happen. We need a resolution once it’s safe - whenever that may be 
  • What a kick in the teeth that would be...all down to one game against Boro. We were poor in that game though
  • edited May 2020
    Any team outside the bottom 3 would be crazy to vote to continue the season and risk going down, knowing that if the season ends now they are safe.

Absolutely ridiculous you cant go into a season a say there are 46 games then after 37 games relegate a team who are 2 points from safety(with goal difference)
  • So it looks like the season will start up again and we have the opportunity to get ourselves out of trouble. Our form was deserving of relegation but form has now gone out of the window. Win some matches and stay up. Simple. If we don’t then relegation is what we deserve.

The season will restart - whether it concludes is another matter.
  • Sponsored links:

• Championship or League 1, we have got to have a football club first and at this rate I am not confident
  • I believe the season will restart and we will go on to be relegated. We've been a poor side for a long time, and I don't see how that's gonna be any different now.  
  • So it looks like the season will start up again and we have the opportunity to get ourselves out of trouble. Our form was deserving of relegation but form has now gone out of the window. Win some matches and stay up. Simple. If we don’t then relegation is what we deserve.
    I don't think we will see another ball kicked this season. 51% of clubs need to agree to vote on a void, that is not a lot considering the situation clubs are in.

• The only saving grace could be if the Efl dock Sheffield Wednesday 12 points because this is exactly the same thing in league 2 with Macclesfield that must be decided. 

Probably no chance then! 
  • There is no way
    Stoke
    Huddersfield 
    Middlesbrough
    Wigan
    Hull

Will vote to restart the season, because if it ends now they are safe

Birmingham 
    Sheffield Wednesday 
    Reading 

They are mid table and playing for nothing,  so probably just want it over and wont want to pay for the testing for no reason

Leeds
    West brom
    Are promoted if they season doesnt restart 

So thats 10 teams voting for the season to end now, lets hope the other 14 vote our way
  • EFL bottle everything going, total jokers. Tbh i don't even care anymore, far more worried about us actually having a club to support at the end of all of this.
  • EFL bottle everything going, total jokers. Tbh i don't even care anymore, far more worried about us actually having a club to support at the end of all of this.

And that will be less likely without Championship revenue streams guaranteed for whenever the next season is
  • Makes me smile when they say the relegated team in League Two has to go somewhere which in this instance is the National League

That organisation (last Id heard) hadnt even decided the matter of promotion, do they promote Barrow because they're top but if thats to replace Stevenage then who replaces Bury?

Its a better statement than what we've had before but the thinking from these meetings still feels far too narrow minded rather than long term thinking

E.g. What are the plans over next season? - We've seen that Italy not only has plans to restart this league but also have plans to deal with next season... Feels as though we'll be back to square one when they make a decision about this year because they've not taken into consideration next year

Its basically a cup final when / if we restart - Need to go into that game fighting from the off, if the season were to be cancelled (for whatever reason) the following week then at least we'd be out of the relegation zone with a single win
    Italy have already decided who will win the league next season too
  • bobmunro said:
    So it looks like the season will start up again and we have the opportunity to get ourselves out of trouble. Our form was deserving of relegation but form has now gone out of the window. Win some matches and stay up. Simple. If we don’t then relegation is what we deserve.

The season will restart - whether it concludes is another matter.
    I thought it was understood that earliest restart date is 20th June? In which case there's 10 days until the contract situation halts things again?

I don't think it will restart and the EFL set a precedent by allowing PPG to decide things in League 2. Null and void is the only way to resolve things.
  • Sponsored links:

• What's the legal basis for relegating clubs halfway through a season? 
  • edited May 2020

Now we just have to cling on to the chance we can play on for our spot in the Championship next season. You never know, stranger things have happened.

• Mad to think if we were able to play that game against Hull that I believe was called off the day before, we might have guaranteed our spot in the Championship next season.

Seems harsh.

• Or if Boro game was called off.
  • Derby, Wednesday and Birmingham penalties now become crucial.

Sad state of affairs.
  • Mad to think if we were able to play that game against Hull that I believe was called off the day before, we might have guaranteed our spot in the Championship next season.

Seems harsh.

It does seem harsh but if we had played like we did against Boro not sure we would have beat them.
  • Well, what a surprise, looks like we will end up getting shafted and will not even have the resources to do a damn thing about it.
    That's why allowing 2 teams to go up, whilst cancelling relegation was always the best option.
    Not too many teams would have voted against it, and it would have been the fairest option.
    Could have made the difference between Charlton's long term survival (attracting new ownership) or being a third tier basket case.
    What an absolute travesty of justice it would be if they relegate us without another game played, given our low wage structure, the appalling luck we had with all our best players all out injured at the same time, and all the ownership shenanigans we have had to endure.
    Our record against top six sides, before we were decimated by injuries, was right up there with the best.

• Farcical, especially as they can’t guarantee next season will start on time if at all. 
    Play to a finish whenever it can start then reorganise the following seasons as required so all playing to the same rules.
    if we get relegated after 46 games no complaints but after Boro we had 9 games to turn it around.
    In our current situation this could be terminal for us. 
    Playing the games and streaming live would probably be worth a minimum £250k for our home games. 
    I would like to say I am surprised but as long as the Premier can be played f@@k the rest.