Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Is the season going to finish? (ed. Pg.53 - 3 players not returned to training)

Comments

• edited May 2020
    I must admit, I was involved in grass roots football up until a year ago and it was far more satisfying than the greed fest the game has become. The regional leagues were still badly run though. It dawned on me that those that run the game at all levels are useless.
  • League resumes, first game back we play Hull after which there is an outbreak amongst players or further national spike and the season ends there.

Possible.

and would make the Hull game massive.

Realistically, chances are we’re done for the season and already down.
  • At the end of the day English football is basically every man for himself. I think the NFL model, where the league is only as strong as its weakest team and everyone benefits from centrally managed revenue is a far better way. 

Unfortunately the set up of football is too ingrained and set it in its ways to change. 
  • edited May 2020
    CAFCTrev said:
    To relegate us having only dropped into the relegation places as a result of our last game is bloody harsh!
    If the game was the last game of the season and they needed a win and we needed a draw, both teams would have gone about it very differently. We will never know what would have happened but to relegate a team Based on that match without both teams knowing it was a relegation decider is very unfair. 

It’s like being 3 down on the 13th green, 20 ft put to win the hole but it’s down hill and has a break, you put for the half as there is time to turn this around, only be told after the putt that you are finishing on the 15th and have just lost the game
  • I believe this is about setting up for that likely eventuality. You will have teams like Boro and Hull doing everything they can not to play.
  • CAFCTrev said:
    At the end of the day English football is basically every man for himself. I think the NFL model, where the league is only as strong as its weakest team and everyone benefits from centrally managed revenue is a far better way. 

Unfortunately the set up of football is too ingrained and set it in its ways to change. 

Would also mean no promotion or relegation, right?
  • CAFCTrev said:
    At the end of the day English football is basically every man for himself. I think the NFL model, where the league is only as strong as its weakest team and everyone benefits from centrally managed revenue is a far better way. 

Yep, f*ck it.
  • Sponsored links:

• CAFCTrev said:

Germany is a far more refreshing league. Fans actually fight to stop the money men getting too much control. look at the recent protests there. 
  • League One next year, -12 points, Youngsters and a real chance that Bowyer will be gone. It could still be worse.
    It sure could, we could go bust and not have a club at all. 
  • Would we have been ok in this scenario if we had not conceded that 97th minute goal v Hull?

No but we did. And many others along the way.

We got here in May on a last minute goal at Wembley.

Football is is a cruel mistress.

It's utter bollocks though and not sure how we can be relegated when a lot more to play for.

There's more concerning issues at play at present in terms of us as a going concern as a football club at present with the shambolic ownership situation.

I wonder if that is being stalled awaiting confirmation of what the status is in terms of what league we'll be in.

Really bleak time for us at the moment.  Hopefully we have enough luck and fortitude to survive everything that is going on with owners and pandemics and come out of the other side in far better shape eventually.

Fingers crossed.

• Derby, Wednesday and Birmingham penalties now become crucial.

Sad state of affairs.
    Don't penalties handed out after March not come into effect until next season ?
    No, the league has the option to impose them in either the current or next season.
  • The EFL would face monumental legislation if they decided to stop the season before confirming that next season will go ahead

It's all very well deciding that teams can be relegated (or promoted), but they have to ensure that those teams playing in a different league the following season will be guaranteed a season's football.  

Obviously this is more relevant at the top of the Championship and bottom of L2, where teams will (or won't) be leaving the EFL, but the principle remains in all divisions. 
  • CAFCTrev said:
    To relegate us having only dropped into the relegation places as a result of our last game is bloody harsh!

It would be fairer to relegate those who have spent the most games in the relegation zone over the whole season but even then it wouldn't be fair.

• I hope our players are keeping fit. Even if we get one game, it gives us a chance and we should be prepared for that.
  • I reckon, for us to stay up, we’re going to have rely on a legal challenge from Hull or whoever around not deducting FFP points from Derby and Wednesday over the sale of their grounds. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Why can they not promote the teams as they stand at the top. They would then be happy. No relegation in any league. Then next season 20/21 increase the number of relegation spots in each league to even the leagues up by 21/22 everyone happy
  • We will go down now.
    I love the wisdom you give to Charlton Life 
  • edited May 2020
    They should cancel the season and carry all points on to next season gives those that were flying the recognition they deserve but those that are struggling a fighting chance to get out of it. 
  • Derby, Wednesday and Birmingham penalties now become crucial.

Sad state of affairs.
    Don't penalties handed out after March not come into effect until next season ?
    No, the league has the option to impose them in either the current or next season.
    There you go then... that'll be the spineless option from the EFL
  • If the play offs can be played they should definitely allow a relegation play off aswell. 

I mean I think we were down, but Boro (despite beating us) and Hull were on disastrous runs aswell. 
  • Red Robin said:
    Why can they not promote the teams as they stand at the top. They would then be happy. No relegation in any league. Then next season 20/21 increase the number of relegation spots in each league to even the leagues up by 21/22 everyone happy
    I can see teams like Fulham not being happy with that, 9 games to go and Leeds and WBA are hardly out of sight.
  • CAFCTrev said:
    Exactly. If they'd postponed the season a week earlier (or possibly allowed the Hull game to go ahead), we'd be safe.
  • CAFCTrev said:

It would be fairer to relegate those who have spent the most games in the relegation zone over the whole season but even then it wouldn't be fair.

I don't agree with that. What if a team had been in the bottom three for the first 30 games and then won 7 on the bounce to go upto 14th. 

It's unfair because 46 games weren't played and we were in the bottom three for a week, but our on the pitch form suggests we were definitely favourites to go down. 

I would still like a play off though. Barnsley and Luton looked down but one of 6 could easily have gone down.